• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

TTG

Is the alien base invasion the end of the game?

I'm skipping it but now shit's getting super hard with a billion mutons a level and 2 berserkers (how the fuck do you take these down?)

Just one of my guys has titan armor, everyone pretty much has light plasma weapons at this point but mutons now have fucking plasma rifles. Jesussss

Not even half way. I'm a little surprised at how many people intentionally stretch out the early part of the game. That's the time you're most vulnerable to panic, why sit there and wait? Get some carapace armor, laser rifles and a full squad and go for it.

It's not worth even one penny imo. Especially when you can just do an INI edit to get it anyways.

You wouldn't INI edit a car would you?

Not even half way. I'm a little surprised at how many people intentionally stretch out the early part of the game. That's the time you're most vulnerable to panic, why sit there and wait? Get some carapace armor, laser rifles and a full squad and go for it.

I'm scared. :(

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Not sure if I should try to get my feet wet with UFO Defense or just jump right into this game.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Alright after complaining here a few times about not understanding this game, I started to kick ass all the way to a classic mode victory with the help of saves. A few things really tipped me over. Mostly I decided that the only sure way to stay alive is to never let them even have a chance at shooting you. Like stay in the middle of a wall instead of around a corner of the wall until you are all ready to take down everyone else. If you absolutely can't do that, then use hunker down. It seems like the aliens don't even want to try to shoot you when you are hunkered down most of the time. Also when you get low on health, just run as far away as possible and consider the guy done with the mission.

After doing that for a while I started getting a lot more people up in ranks. A heavy with two rockets (the stagger rocket and the normal rocket), a couple of supports with 3 health packs to keep everyone super healthy, and a couple of assaults that can double shot people makes this game much much easier.

And finally I probably hurt myself by putting all my money into satalites until i maxed out with 16 satalites. After doing that I had basically the best weapons and armor way before everyone else, but around the time from the first cryisalid to the time of the berzerker I was way way underpowered.

The final level was surprisingly a lot easier then the random stuff I was doing right before that, but the final room did get me once, making me load a save. But the realization that if you fail the final room in an Ironman mode you are screwed forever just made me realize how messed up Ironman really is. Now that I played it I know what equipment I would need to make the final level stupid easy, but i pity the ironman players that are going to see the final level for the first time.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ironman Impossible tales:

2nd abduction mission of the second month:

Graveyard map, the big one with that mausoleum thing in the middle (which is also a multiplayer map), not the small one.

Pushing out slowly from the spawn point, things are looking ok.

Floaters teleport right into my group and aggro on my turn, so they get a free shot at me. Use a rocket to kill them because my guys are vulnerable and not prepared for that alien teleport bug.

Approach the center building. 4 floaters and 3 thin men hanging out in the center building. Heavy not in range to rocket them. They swarm out and....

Welp.

Lessons: I think I'll use battle scanner next time I suspect there's a shitload of enemies somewhere so I can rocket the fuck out of them before they aggro.

The final level was surprisingly a lot easier then the random stuff I was doing right before that, but the final room did get me once, making me load a save. But the realization that if you fail the final room in an Ironman mode you are screwed forever just made me realize how messed up Ironman really is. Now that I played it I know what equipment I would need to make the final level stupid easy, but i pity the ironman players that are going to see the final level for the first time.

Nah, if you lose the final mission in ironman mode they let you restart the mission. Ironman gets alot easier the longer you survive, and the final mission is no exception there.

TTG

Oh, what the fuck! I thought I had seen everything by now, my 3rd run through the game. Apparently not. Don't have a phoenix cannon equipped the first time I face a large UFO(it's still May mind you!), so let it go after reloading a few times. I was thinking that I would simply have it done by the time the second UFO showed up to knock out the satellite, which it did. What I didn't expect was a fucking destroyer of worlds battleship equipped with one of those insane beams. What's the point?

Just to reiterate, I haven't even researched plasma yet or seen a muton and they're sending an endgame UFO at my lowly interceptor. I don't even get a shot off, not that it would matter with like a 6 second timer. So there goes USA, sweet.

Meier

I'm sure this is a common problem but I encountered a "very difficult" mission fairly on with Manchester under attack. I saved it and continued to search and then the UK left the union. Yikes.

Played the mission and killed some guys and had saved 5 humans when I encountered some Zerg looking things that killed one of my guys and a human I was meant to save. After I get a message from Zahlen about them being zombies now, the game stayed stuck at Alien Activity and I had to shut it down. Any word if they're fixing this bug?

demidar

I'm sure this is a common problem but I encountered a "very difficult" mission fairly on with Manchester under attack. I saved it and continued to search and then the UK left the union. Yikes.

Played the mission and killed some guys and had saved 5 humans when I encountered some Zerg looking things that killed one of my guys and a human I was meant to save. After I get a message from Zahlen about them being zombies now, the game stayed stuck at Alien Activity and I had to shut it down. Any word if they're fixing this bug?

I think most alien activity hanging can be fixed by reloading. At this rate you shouldn't expect any bug fixes, since PC version could use a lot of help with no fixes in sight.

I hope they roll out another patch. I stopped playing about half way through. I like difficult games, but when there are also bugs and ui issues it just gets frustrating.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So what's the best tactic when things really start going south?

- I am still seven days out from getting the four satellite station built to get full global coverage to all countries in the council
- three countries have quit the council
- three countries are close to full panic
- the next abduction site is so hard it wipes out my best team, but if I ignore it panic further increases
- I haven't still
raided the Alien base
, I left it waiting for me to collect kit
- I have couple of thousands of money

Am I right to assume that when good your experienced soldiers are dead, it's pretty much game over, because rookies do nor stand a chance?

demidar

So what's the best tactic when things really start going south?

- I am still seven days out from getting the four satellite station built to get full global coverage to all countries in the council
- three countries have quit the council
- three countries are close to full panic
- the next abduction site is so hard it wipes out my best team, but if I ignore it panic further increases
- I haven't still
raided the Alien base
, I left it waiting for me to collect kit
- I have couple of thousands of money

Am I right to assume that when good your experienced soldiers are dead, it's pretty much game over, because rookies do nor stand a chance?

Raid the alien base as soon as you can, or bide until the entire world almost panics.

TTG

*SIGH*

I'm not proud of this, but I have to say it: If you really fuck up a turn on ironman, you can go for the old "oh shit! oh shit! quit out of the game!" move. The thing is, it doesn't auto save after every input, which I can understand. And, well if you feel cheated(no, I haven't done this enough to bother studying exactly at which point it will autosave) you got a chance.

*SIGH*

I'm not proud of this, but I have to say it: If you really fuck up a turn on ironman, you can go for the old "oh shit! oh shit! quit out of the game!" move. The thing is, it doesn't auto save after every input, which I can understand. And, well if you feel cheated(no, I haven't done this enough to bother studying exactly at which point it will autosave) you got a chance.
You're pretty much worse than Hitler.

demidar

*SIGH*

I did this once, but I didn't have a say in the matter. Was doing the last mission and I lined everyone up and walked into the last room. Well, I didn't expect it and I got caught off guard. Though during one of the enemies turns the game froze so I had no choice but to quit. That information allowed me to dominate the last room.

TTG

I did this once, but I didn't have a say in the matter. Was doing the last mission and I lined everyone up and walked into the last room. Well, I didn't expect it and I got caught off guard. Though during one of the enemies turns the game froze so I had no choice but to quit. That information allowed me to dominate the last room.

Funny you should say that, same thing happened to me. I was lining up a rocket blast on a cyberdisk, and that 90% failed me. Hurt one of my own instead and blew up a huge chunk of our cover. Then the game totally froze! Bam, frozen.

TTG

Third day of classic ironman over, I'm almost over the alien base hump! 18 or 19 missions in(I only know this because I have a guy who has been along for every single one of them, miraculously).

On the combat side of things, I'm still stuck with regular shotguns, snipers and heavy miniguns; all I got is a laser rifle. I need to get my ass to plasma ASAP because cyber disks and mutons are officially a part of every mission. I also get the feeling that berserkers are about to come online. Also, I finally have a pair of majors and one of them is a sniper! Once he gets a plasma in his hands, we'll really be cooking. The focus on promotion has left my ranks a little thin though, I don't feel like I have a B team that's good enough right now. After the next 2 missions, I'll recruit some new guys and start bringing rookies along regularly again. Lost 2 more today in a single mission, bringing the total count to 4 or 5 and leaving me without a second assault on the roster.

Highlight of the night was a terror mission where I put down no less than 21 bad guys. At least 5 of these had to be zombies/freshly birthed cryssalids because the whole thing took place at the doors of one building. I wasn't turtling either, fuckers came in waves. ANYONE PLAYING ON CLASSIC: I strongly suggest picking the "100% more damage to robots" for heavies. Before this run I always went with the other option(some bump to stats I think) and I am really glad I didn't this time because this boost applies to rockets! This means the cyberdisk gets a 12hp hit and his drones are knocked out instantly.

On the Geospace side, I lost USA, bringing the total count of countries gone to 2. I got caught fighting a large sized UFO with the stock interceptor, things didn't go well. Phoenix cannon was only 2 days away, but it didn't matter because a battleship showed up to take out the satellite and the country went with it. 2 or 3 months in at that point and the toughest UFO in the game shows up... yea. Good news is after almost a whole month of random abduction stuff, I finally have another UFO to fight! This will be the first one where I'll actually be able to capture a certain special alien, thus allowing the mission we all know turns the tide in panic.

xenist

I've had about four or five classic ironman games fall apart around three months in. I'm gonna give XCOM a rest for a bit and come back with a fresh mind.

raphier

Banned
The camera is something in this game. Tried to move Leroy Jenkins (yup, diced) on a roof of a three story building, so the game decided that it was meant for the first floor.

So, the guy jumps street level, busts through a window into a place swarmed by sectoids. Second turn, he blasts them all dead. What a hero.

Totakeke

So I was playing on the Windows 8 preview version before and I pretty much didn't see any UI bugs with the game (aside from multi-level) that was mentioned, but now I'm on a new Windows 8 install and I couldn't avoid seeing UI bugs even if I tried, one of them required me to alt-f4 out of the game.

Danj

Managed to do a full image backup of my laptop hard drive after doing a chkdsk /r to get the bad sectors marked. Turns out they were in the Windows prefetch folder which probably explains the booting problems. New hard drive has been ordered (I decided to go for a hybrid, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB) and should be arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to returning to playing this game!

EMP should be weaker in terms of damage. Fusion Lance is the best. Use the lock-in one use item.

EMP doesn't do damage, that's the best part about it. I only needed 1 firestorm with EMP to take down UFO, even battleships, in Classic Ironman. No idea about Impossible though.

Totakeke

EMP doesn't do damage, that's the best part about it. I only needed 1 firestorm with EMP to take down UFO, even battleships, in Classic Ironman. No idea about Impossible though.

You know what I meant. I was fine with plasma on the default interceptors on classic until the story ufo carrying the ethereal.

demidar

Is it really a risk though? Chyrssalids' AI behavior makes them very easy captures.

If you can control them sure, but during your first terror mission they are scary as you don't have the firepower to control them. If they get to someone you're screwed, doubly so if it's one of your guys. The bonus would maybe be a bonus +1 health to everyone researched in the foundry. Very beneficial early game that tapers off late game when everyone's toting around Titan armour.

Asuma01

Neo Member
Good morning everyone!
Two questions!
Can Council Missions be delayed at all? If so how long?

Also! Is the Chitin Plating item worth it at all? Its seems like pretty limited use. Can someone explain a use for it or to discussions about it?

EDIT: I just realized that the Chitin Plating granted +4 HP on top of the melee def bonus. Wish the description mentioned that!

Good morning everyone!
Two questions!

Also! Is the Chyrssalid plating item worth it at all? Its seems like pretty limited use. Can someone explain a use for it or to discussions about it?

Health bonus plus melee protection. Like a better nano fiber vest. Throw one on an assault and it can survive a berserker or chrysalid easily.

Grimsen

Chitin plating is the item of choice for my shotgunners. +4 health and -50% melee damage is awesome. 22 health for a ghost assault colonel is amazing. Add +4 if you prefer titan armor.

suaveric

Good morning everyone!
Two questions!

Also! Is the Chyrssalid plating item worth it at all? Its seems like pretty limited use. Can someone explain a use for it or to discussions about it?

Not sure about your first question. Second question: That plating is the upgrade to the nano-fiber one you get early in the game. I try and have all my guys with a set except snipers (who use the scope).

Top Bottom