• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Wunder

Jesus Christ. I hit September and I still hadn't captured an outsider yet and was slowly bleeding countries and troops. I was at 5/8 and was seriously considering ending my suffering and restarting but I hit a UFO and captured an outsider and before the month was over managed to assault the Alien Base! I actually had to restart the first run through of the base because I hit some disgusting packs of mobs and my whole squad would have died. The new run wasn't half as bad and no one ended up dying.

I feel pretty good at where I'm at even though I've lost a ton of good men and countries. I'm getting a steady income and have almost every research/foundry upgrade I would want. The instant squaddie upgrade in the officer training school is amazing! It is really sick if you need a couple of a certain class since you can just recruit 5-10 dudes and pick whoever fits the bill rather than buying them and taking one or two on a mission and hoping they don't die and then hoping they become the class of your choice.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Had a monty python moment earlier.

*encounter cyberdisc
*miss with rocket (wtf)
*miss with sniper (k......)
*cyberdisk kills squaddie
*other squaddie panics and shots and wounds my high ranker
*run away run away!

Panicked soldiers with magical kill-shots are kind of awesome, though.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Had a monty python moment earlier.

*encounter cyberdisc
*miss with rocket (wtf)
*miss with sniper (k......)
*cyberdisk kills squaddie
*other squaddie panics and shots and wounds my high ranker
*run away run away!

well at least your panicked soldier didn't kill a squadmate

:(

Vol5

OK, my game is coming together now. All countries sat covered apart from China and Egypt that withdrew. Last Council review gave me an A. I had Australia in full panic so added another fighter over Asia which brought down the panic by one point (at least that's what I think brought it down)

Had a couple of close shaves with Cyberdisks dropping right in the middle of my team, but I'm re-starting the missions if I lose a lieutenant or above. I'll go for an ironman run after completing the game on normal.

This is just the perfect strategy game for me. I'm hooked to the point where I close my eyes and all I can see are movement squares and a member of my squad. Fucking ridiculous.

Asuma01

Neo Member
How do I progress the game? I have Psi Labs and the Hyperwave Relay. Time keeps passing but nothing happens (other then just normal missions). I just keep testing soldiers to see if they are "Psi-worthy". I have fully upgraded Psi-Soldiers. What do I need to do to get this game to end?

Anyone have problems filling the third slot in the Psi labs? I can fill the first two slots. but then I fill the third and it gets rid of one of the previous soldiers. So I can never have more then 2 soldiers in testing.

It's bugged. Save and exit to main menu and reload. Usually fixes it.

This bug only happens on controllers though, as the UI for kb/mouse is a bit different on that menu.

patapuf

How do I progress the game? I have Psi Labs and the Hyperwave Relay. Time keeps passing but nothing happens (other then just normal missions). I just keep testing soldiers to see if they are "Psi-worthy". I have fully upgraded Psi-Soldiers. What do I need to do to get this game to end?

have you built the psi armor?

Asuma01

Neo Member
It's bugged. Save and exit to main menu and reload. Usually fixes it.

This bug only happens on controllers though, as the UI for kb/mouse is a bit different on that menu.

Ahh. Yeah I knew it was bugged. Wasnt sure how to fix it. Really though its not much of a fix. takes forever to restart the game because of all the dumb splash screens when its starting. Thank you for the tip though!

Mupod

Missing that last shot is also deadly as well. Shotguns are fine on classic and I've used them all game long. They just require an extra layer of patience and knowing that you won't be able to always use them.

I used my shotgun assault in a very defensive manner. He'd hang back and protect my squad against melee enemies, use lightning reflexes to waste reaction shots and clear the path for someone who needed to move, and most importantly assassinate very dangerous targets. If something HAD to die that turn, it was my assaults that got it done - it was very rarely a risky move either, since they are very hard to kill once they have titan armor and the anti-crit ability. Rapid fire alloy cannon is so good it's beaten the final enemy in one turn for me on normal AND classic. And that's on a totally defensive specced assault.

Ketch

On classic ironman try #17.

I can't even get past the second fricken mission without wiping a whole squad. When the odds go against you, it can be so fricken rage inducing... and it's not even like I'm making mistakes, it's just some horrible BS sometimes... and when you're only two missions in you might as well just restart if you wipe because it's not even worth trying to press one when you haven't had that much progress to begin with.

My first classic ironman try was my best, made it all the way to the alien base... second best was to the first terror mission. Everything else has been restarted like 2 months in.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
On classic ironman try #17.

I can't even get past the second fricken mission without wiping a whole squad.

You should try impossible ironman. The furthest I've gotten yet is only a couple missions into the second month before I'm compelled to start over.

About to do my first terror mission. I really need a victory here so I'm sending in the A-squad, 3 of my top units, and 2 sets of carapce armor. Wish me luck.
Everyone's gonna die. :(

Ketch

I want an option in there, just like action cam, or 3rd person cam, that says cinematic experience. So I can just turn that off... It can feel like a rogue like style game, but when it gets to that point I really don't wanna hear the same damn voice overs everytime I use grenades or sell a flight computer...

Keep everyone together

Also, do not jump off a ledge into the fog of war because you think there's only one guy left and then find out you're actually point blank with 2 crysallids and then everyone else misses every shot and the cryssalids eviserate your best guy and everyone else panics and then they get eviserated and then they turn into zombies and all of a sudden your squaddie sniper is facing 3 crysallids and two zombies by herself and you wipe and then every country in Asia goes to full red alert panic....

Don't do that, ok.

About to do my first terror mission. I really need a victory here so I'm sending in the A-squad, 3 of my top units, and 2 sets of carapce armor. Wish me luck.
Everyone's gonna die. :(

Success! 9/18 civvys saved, no squad casualties, in fact, no squad damage taken!

Was looking pretty hairy for a minute though. 3 deaths after only 2 turns, then I ran into a group of 2 chryssalids and 3 floaters, and of course I missed every overwwatch opportunity (5 in total), as well as every shot that wasn't at least 90% to hit (including one that was 91% to hit). Luckily my new sniper came up big, and the aliens seemed more interested in killing civs then me, so all in all a great mission!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
AcmbF.jpg

Ethereals are the worst. One of those swollen assholes and three elite mutons practically annihilated my entire crack team. Fuck them.

Grimsen

My classic ironman game is now my xcom laboratory. Currently leveling a 6-sniper team just to mess around and see how effective it is. Snap shot is useless because of the pistol upgrades, but some of my scout-snipers are definitely gonna use the gunsliger perk.

Gonna try the same after with assaults and heavies. Support-only doesn't seem as fun somehow.

What are sectoid corpses useful for? I've got a whole ton of them and was wondering if I should sell a few to afford a laser rifle. I've got a ways to go until my next pay day.

Astery

My classic ironman game is now my xcom laboratory. Currently leveling a 6-sniper team just to mess around and see how effective it is. Snap shot is useless because of the pistol upgrades, but some of my scout-snipers are definitely gonna use the gunsliger perk.

Gonna try the same after with assaults and heavies. Support-only doesn't seem as fun somehow.

I'm interested to hear more of the full sniper squad.

Gotta love it when you accidentally line up to unveil a group of enemies inside a building, and you have your heavy at the right angle to shoot a rocket through the window. Sectoids didn't know what hit them

demidar

I'm interested to hear more of the full sniper squad.

Could work. Gunslinger gives a fair amount of damage coupled with a sniper's naturally high aim. Pistols are far cheaper than rifles and don't need to be reloaded. Pistols are also the only weapons type to be upgradable in the foundry (critical chance, damage, aim chance). Snipers can find cover easily with their "half cover counts as full" and add that with Ghost armour's innate -20% aim reduction that's a full 60% reduction, with invisibility to get out if needed (or to sneak attack with). Snipers can also cover each other from across the map with Squadsight. It could work brilliantly.

Eck. Just breached a landed UFO- 6 Thin Man and an Outsider inside. :\

I could probably use my RL to down 4 of them, at the expense of all those broken UFO parts.

milkham

Could work. Gunslinger gives a fair amount of damage coupled with a sniper's naturally high aim. Pistols are far cheaper than rifles and don't need to be reloaded. Pistols are also the only weapons type to be upgradable in the foundry (critical chance, damage, aim chance). Snipers can find cover easily with their "half cover counts as full" and add that with Ghost armour's innate -20% aim reduction that's a full 60% reduction, with invisibility to get out if needed (or to sneak attack with). Snipers can also cover each other from across the map with Squadsight. It could work brilliantly.

do the pistol upgrades from the foundry effect your laser/plasma pistols? i always assumed it was only for your default pistols so I never bothered with it.

Tess3ract

Banned
Is the alien base invasion the end of the game?

I'm skipping it but now shit's getting super hard with a billion mutons a level and 2 berserkers (how the fuck do you take these down?)

Just one of my guys has titan armor, everyone pretty much has light plasma weapons at this point but mutons now have fucking plasma rifles. Jesussss

milkham

Is the alien base invasion the end of the game?

I'm skipping it but now shit's getting super hard with a billion mutons a level and 2 berserkers (how the fuck do you take these down?)

Just one of my guys has titan armor, everyone pretty much has light plasma weapons at this point but mutons now have fucking plasma rifles. Jesussss

its not the end. on my normal playthrough i didn't go for it until i had a full squad of colonels and titan armor for everyone, but i believe it scales up in difficulty depending on how long you have let it wait.

Ketch

First time I had to retreat back to the skyranger and abort mission.

Classic Ironman. Ufo shootdown mission, 2 squaddie assaults, and 2 rookies.. first move aggro'd 4 thinmen. After the aliens first turn all my dudes were poisoned, after their second turn two of my guys were dead... I wanted to retreat, but there was no where to retreat to, except into skyranger.

Varna

Hm. Anyone using the latest nvidia beta drivers? I'm not sure if this is what is causing the problem, but after I updated now I don't see the cover icon when moving units (it only appears once they are in place). Or maybe I changed some setting that I am not aware of...

Top Bottom