• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

milkham

had to abort the first panic mission on my latest classic ironman run

CRYSALLIDS!

i started just waiting terror missions out, find a good spot and setup, if there are chrysalids all the better, the mission becomes chitin plating farm as they eat up the civilians.

shuri

Banned
Ok the final mission
was seriously lame. What a cop-out. What a terrible way to end the game.. and then the Boss Alien who goes on and on about his pseudo-halo babble.. Too bad, this game is almost a classic, but the bugs and the ending just stop it from being one

Final Game Rating: 8/10
A bugless version with
a non superlame final mission and conclusion
would had warranted a 9.5

r1chard

I think I figured out the number one thing I miss from the original game: the ability to free-aim target the environment to take out walls with something other than the rocket or grenades. I'm playing Classic now and a couple of times I've really wanted an extra door just there. Or hell, take out that petrol bowser with the alien hiding behind it...

TTG

I think I figured out the number one thing I miss from the original game: the ability to free-aim target the environment to take out walls with something other than the rocket or grenades. I'm playing Classic now and a couple of times I've really wanted an extra door just there. Or hell, take out that petrol bowser with the alien hiding behind it...

Wouldn't work in this one. Besides looking ridiculous, taking out cover with an assault rifles means you would never need to flank or split up in any way. Move your 6 guys as a unit, steamroll through whatever ET gets in the way with sheer firepower.

Anyway, doesn't it set up some interesting choices in the load out screen before a mission? How much room to make for heavies and grenades...

Jintor

Door placement, entry zones, windows; they all become almost irrelevant if you could just blast holes in the wall wherever you want. Especially with flanking rules in play as well.

r1chard

Wouldn't work in this one. Besides looking ridiculous, taking out cover with an assault rifles means you would never need to flank or split up in any way. Move your 6 guys as a unit, steamroll through whatever ET gets in the way with sheer firepower.

Anyway, doesn't it set up some interesting choices in the load out screen before a mission? How much room to make for heavies and grenades...
I never said anything about taking out cover with an assault rifle, but there's plenty of times a missed shot with a plasma weapon will take out a section of wall (or blow up the bowser) creating a new opportunity. I just want to be able to *aim* at the wall, or bowser.

Interesting counter-arguments though, thanks.

Ketch

So I've been pressing on in my Classic iron man run. Not doing too bad, even after aborting two missions (one of which was a terror mission). Most countries are at least lvl 4 panic and 3 are maxed out right now, I got like 2 weeks to the next council mission, two satellites in the pipe, and I'm ready to capture an alien.

So I figure if I can beat a terror mission, and get my satellites up I'll be good.. OR if I can manage to unlock and beat the alien base I'll also be good.

But I just got a VIP mission from the council, and they've ended a couple classic ironman runs for me already... so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Jintor

I never said anything about taking out cover with an assault rifle, but there's plenty of times a missed shot with a plasma weapon will take out a section of wall (or blow up the bowser) creating a new opportunity. I just want to be able to *aim* at the wall, or bowser.

Interesting counter-arguments though, thanks.

The randomness of the changing battlefield is a far more interesting challenge. XCOM is really about adapting to your circumstances (especially on ironman) and making do with what you have.

Thinking about doing a Final Mission. If I have 2
PSI soldiers
will it matter much? Or one of them is automatically chosen as a
Chosen One
and the game will end if he gets killed?

milkham

PSI soldiers
Chosen One

The one you send into the gollop chamber is the chosen one.

Ketch

PSI soldiers
Chosen One

Also, if you fail, even on ironman, you get to retry from the beginning of the mission.

Salsa

It actually makes sense, since I am pretty sure like in Original XCOM failing last mission failed the game.

I know, and that was AMAZING. The idea of losing 30 hours of progress when I had ONE soldier left on the mission was pretty much the most exciting moment this gen, or up there.

Stressful as fuck. Kinda lame now that I know it would have been fine if I lost.

I guess I understand how it is too much since some people might flip their shit if you lose the game automatically

Ketch

oh man WHAT

this takes away all the pressure I had the first time around

I know right, total BS.

It actually makes sense, since I am pretty sure like in Original XCOM failing last mission failed the game. Now with Ironman officially being a difficulty setting they have to somehow mitigate that danger.

Why do they have to mitigate it? That should be up to the player.

Ironman all the way.

I also agree, the retry thing totally cheapens the experience as well as the accomplishment.

Jintor

I remain somewhat disappointed that in XCOM it is easier to tell that there is an 'optimal' solution to everything, it's a lot less systems just jamming up against one another like in X-com. I remain hopeful for mod tools though to see people basically recreate X-com in XCOM.

God, I love typing sentences like that

I remain somewhat disappointed that in XCOM it is easier to tell that there is an 'optimal' solution to everything, it's a lot less systems just jamming up against one another like in X-com. I remain hopeful for mod tools though to see people basically recreate X-com in XCOM.

That is very true, there is not much element of surprise. Before I started playing this game I watched Superhuman Ironman of UFO:EU. I never thought you can chain-throw granades...

Jintor

One of the things I miss about OG X-Com is the chance of, say, four UFOs turning up at once around Central Asia and you having to manage scrambling and interceptions to deal with all of them or risk panic level rising. Battles over the seaboard, discovering an alien base by accident, using interceptors on patrols just in the vain hopes of getting a random blast outside of your radar range. I definitely think there was a better way to handle base attacks than in X-Com, but taking them out completely I feel very strongly was not the correct answer. I am frankly amazed they did not capitalise on the "This is our BASE" feeling that is a lot stronger in XCOM just due to the enhanced graphics.

also there's no female support staff, what's up with that

In relation to power plants and steam generators do you place everything in donut formation? Also, do satellite dispatchers need to be positioned at the very top?

One of the things I miss about OG X-Com is the chance of, say, four UFOs turning up at once around Central Asia and you having to manage scrambling and interceptions to deal with all of them or risk panic level rising. Battles over the seaboard, discovering an alien base by accident, using interceptors on patrols just in the vain hopes of getting a random blast outside of your radar range. I definitely think there was a better way to handle base attacks than in X-Com, but taking them out completely I feel very strongly was not the correct answer. I am frankly amazed they did not capitalise on the "This is our BASE" feeling that is a lot stronger in XCOM just due to the enhanced graphics.

I never knew about any of this...

In relation to power plants and steam generators do you place everything in donut formation? Also, do satellite dispatchers need to be positioned at the very top?

Satellite stations can be build wherever you want. What do you mean by "donut formation" regarding power?

Rufus

Your interceptors and the Skyranger could also run out of fuel, so you searches for alien bases where limited. You also had various graphs for alien activity and stuff, where you could get hints to where a base might be.

Thermal Reactors have to be placed on TOP of the steam tile, not anywhere around it. Put it where the steam tile was.

If you want to take advantage of the proximity bonuses (for anything), I think a 2x2 arrangement is best.

Satellite uplinks can be placed anywhere.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Yeah, there is an "optimal" (arguably) solution in the NG XCOM, but there is also an optimal solution for OG XCOM as well.

Every time I play OG XCOM, I rush lasers, hyperwave decoder, alien containment, and psionics, and I'm pretty much on my way to victory by April-ish.

Rufus

It was definitely more opaque, which meant you'd have a lot more figuring out to do, but I feel like there were several paths to success.

In XCOM the optimal strategy also seems to be the only strategy.

Jintor

Taking out manufacturing was definitely a step forward though. It basically provided unlimited funding once you teched to laser cannons.

TTG

Are UFO power sources only needed for firestorms and ellerium generators? Because I'm about to sell a couple of these bad boys.

EDIT: never mind, sold one. I'm tired of bringing laser rifles along against a parade of mutons and berserkers. Now, at least I'll have a double tap enabled sniper with a plasma. I gotta say, while it's true that there is a right and wrong way to play the geospace, it's balanced well. This is my third run through the game and a third different resource that I'm having a shortage in. If I ever go for a fourth run, I'm sure impossible difficulty will require a different strategy to classic ironman.

Rufus

Taking out manufacturing was definitely a step forward though. It basically provided unlimited funding once you teched to laser cannons.
They stream-lined the entire manufacturing and personnel management aspect. If they had wanted to retain it they could have just rebalanced the economy.
It's not unwelcome, considering most people seemed to set the entire team of scientists or engineers to the same task anyway. I've said it before, but in a lot of ways they just formalized the way people played X-com. One main base, one Skyranger, secondary bases staffed and equipped minimally just to shoot down UFOs, 'naming' soldiers according to their capabilities (impromptu class system turns into actual classes) and whatever else I'm not thinking of.

pringles

Classic Ironman done.

Lost one country, due to being too slow on upgrading my interceptors and getting my ass handed to me in the air for a bit. Otherwise it was a smooth ride and towards the end it felt even easier than on Normal. Nothing on the final mission survived more than one turn. Still was a good challenge for most of the game. At one point I had 9 out of 11 soldiers in the infirmary, showing how I just barely scraped together victories.

I''ve got Dishonored lying around and I really should play it, but dammit I'm still not tired of this. Debating whether I should try Impossible or do another Classic run and go for a few achievements, namely Lone Wolf, Ain't No Cavalry, the BS poison one, and winning from all continents.

Jintor

They stream-lined the entire manufacturing and personnel management aspect. If they had wanted to retain it they could have just rebalanced the economy.
It's not unwelcome, considering most people seemed to set the entire team of scientists or engineers to the same task anyway. I've said it before, but in a lot of ways they just formalized the way people played X-com. One main base, one Skyranger, secondary bases staffed and equipped minimally just to shoot down UFOs, 'naming' soldiers according to their capabilities (impromptu class system turns into actual classes) and whatever else I'm not thinking of.

Yeah, but they also removed that small area of variation where there was room to experiment and test systems against one another. Some of it I love - the tactical system, aside from the deployment limitations (which get increasingly more ridiculous the more crazy missions become - why wouldn't you want more than six soldiers attacking an entire battleship? Why would you only be able to afford a single skyranger?). But the strategic limitations shit me to no end.

TTG

Classic Ironman done.

Lost one country, due to being too slow on upgrading my interceptors and getting my ass handed to me in the air for a bit. Otherwise it was a smooth ride and towards the end it felt even easier than on Normal. Nothing on the final mission survived more than one turn. Still was a good challenge for most of the game. At one point I had 9 out of 11 soldiers in the infirmary, showing how I just barely scraped together victories.

I''ve got Dishonored lying around and I really should play it, but dammit I'm still not tired of this. Debating whether I should try Impossible or do another Classic run and go for a few achievements, namely Lone Wolf, Ain't No Cavalry, the BS poison one, and winning from all continents.

Nice, I still haven't hit a real comfort zone. I'm doing well, no mission losses, still less than 10 people killed and I'm past the alien base... but at the moment I'm way outmatched on the battlefield. I got one light plasma rifle, one plasma sniper and a bunch of carapace armor. ET is already on full plasma. I'm thinking I'll have to zap some aliens for their plasma too, I've got no cash.

Also, I'm hitting a wall with it, this being my third run through. I'm not gonna stop outright, but maybe limit it to 1 mission per play session. I don't know how you guys plow on, the risk with ironman just adds to the fatigue.

TTG

Another day of classic ironman done, 22 missions completed(yes, I still have the one guy that's been along for every one of them, as far as I can tell... it would suck if he missed one early). Most of my team is finally using plasma thanks to zapping 2 mutons on the last outing. And 5 satellites just went online, for a total of 10. That means enough cash to buy a full set of titan armor starting next month. Still haven't started building a psi lab or the hyperwave beam, or a foundry for that matter. I haven't built a new facility in like 2 months.

My previous run through classic was a very efficient 30 missions. I bet that number will be close to double on this go around and I have no idea why! I was stuck researching beam and carapace for 20 days each, maybe that was it. You would think I'd try to cut the number of missions down on ironman, but it's been the opposite.

Updated my hit% stats-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aprtin5-SdoVdGxuaEJOamxFeGZ2RndRT05aQzl6aGc

My predicted hit rate- 84%
My actual hit rate- 73%

So there is still a 10% difference that some people claim the higher difficulties have. This is after 52 total shots taken.

Enemy hit rate% = 48% from an average of +36 defense.

The XCOM wiki says the early enemies have around 65 base aim, I don't see how that could possibly be true considering their hit rate.

Base invasions.

Where the aliens show up and say "Fuck you!", and then you drive them off and say "FUCK YOU!!!"

Sectus

I'm doing a VIP mission. Nearly done. One my soldiers gets fired upon and he enters panic. He shoots and kills the VIP. T_T

The randomness in the game is starting to make me extremely tempted to turn off ironman mode (although I find that to be a large part of the fun). Even though I really like the game, the more I play it, the more I get annoyed by it. I've had enemies literally spawn on the exact spot I'm standing on. I'm scared to try flanking enemies at all, because it means I'm extremely likely to trigger more enemies, so I end up using extremely safe, slow and dull tactics. They've simplified the geoscape way way too much, so much I feel most of the choices I do are too obvious. And there's just too much random shit going on in the tactical missions. Soldiers entering panic for the littlest of reasons. You moving right up to an enemy, and you still having only 60% hit chance. The binary additions to percentages simplified movement too much (go for elevation, go for full cover positions) instead of considering the entire environment. Critical hits existing at all. The class system (I much prefer having the old stat system where I can freely decide how to use my soldiers, instead of having them forced into specific roles).

I am still having fun, but I don't see myself lasting much longer with the game. It's hard to say how it would turn out, but I'd like something like X-Com-style geoscape with the tactical gameplay from Jagged Alliance 2. I think that would be my dream turn based tactical strategy game.

Mindlog

A properly designed base could turn base attacks into a slaughter. Alien walks around corner, gets shot six times with a heavy plasma. Good fun.
Or your Skyrangers are out and you have a group of rookie idiots scrapping by 'Home Alone' style.

When the mod tools finally come out someone do an X-Com: Home Alone scenario.

Rufus

I might be a bad commander. M-my memorial wall is really long this time around. ._.

One person panics during the alien base assault and everything goes to shit. Yeah, shoot a squad mate, see if I care. Of course he panics, you just shot him. At least you hit something. Oh look, he shoots another squad mate, the cycle continues! So, I wiped that time. Had two people left and only the sectoid commander to contend with. Didn't go so well.

Went in a second time with fresh meat. Don't bother unpacking, we got a job to do. Here's your laser rifles. Yeah, we got those now. Cool, huh? That there is the trigger. No, no, Don't bother introducing yourselves, you're leaving immediately. Base assault. Six of you this time. Good luck.
So that one went relatively well. First time I actually managed to finish the base assault! Yay me.

Now, I haven't won a single missions since, but hey, I've got the coverage. I can afford to order my people in bulk. Some of them might even make corporal, you never know.

demidar

Classic tip: Don't send out a sniper with low will, the fucking coward will panic then one-shot a mind-controlled teammate. Such people deserve to be waterboarded 24/7.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Low will snipers are the fucking worst. It's even more excruciating when motherfuckers err all their close range shots yet they crit your best soldiers during panic attacks.

AT POINT BLANK.

demidar

Low will snipers are the fucking worst. It's even more excruciating when motherfuckers err all their close range shots yet they crit your best soldiers during panic attacks.

AT POINT BLANK.

This guy knows what I'm talking about, just happened to me. So I "dismissed" him.

TTG

Just wanted to mention an underrated strategy for classic ironman, running the fuck away! Not all the way back to the Skyranger, but far enough to where you have the upper hand. Sometimes you'll run into 6 mutons at a time and your sniper won't be in place, or between you and them is a gulf of dashing to shitty cover while they sit back and take shots from behind solid defensive positions.

Note that not moving/staying in overwatch means they won't come after you, but if you turn on your heels and run, more often than not, they will. And when they do, it won't be an organized thing, everyone moving as a unit. They don't really have a concept of that stuff. I've only had them not follow me once, they just stayed in the same spot, in overwatch, until I circled around them and through a landed UFO to get a better position.

I only wish I could remember to use this strategy before someone dies.

Updated my hit% stats-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aprtin5-SdoVdGxuaEJOamxFeGZ2RndRT05aQzl6aGc

My predicted hit rate- 84%
My actual hit rate- 73%

So there is still a 10% difference that some people claim the higher difficulties have. This is after 52 total shots taken.

Enemy hit rate% = 48% from an average of +36 defense.

The XCOM wiki says the early enemies have around 65 base aim, I don't see how that could possibly be true considering their hit rate.

I think the enemies have 65 Base aim + 10 for classic difficulty then many have +10 for using light plasma rifles. Thinmen have an accuracy of goddamn 85% on classic, so high cover is still flippen coin flip. I mean, on classic a thinman shooting at you in half cover has the same chance to hit as a rookie with an open/flanked shot.

Edit: also just to point out, 57 shots out of say an average game having 600 (assuming 20 shots per round, roughly 30 rounds in a game) shots ( still has a MOE of over 12%.

Lombax

Banned
So I kind of had the perfect ending to my first play through of XCOM:
My squad made it into the last room with the Ethereal Boss. After his little monologue my turn started. I selected my sniper Col. Barack "Insane" Obama targeted the Boss, crit on both shots on a double tap, game over Earth wins!

Fantastic game.

Top Bottom