• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Which brings back the point that it is better to have lasers. :D I think I also did it without lasers, but I had improved armor, how about you?

I didn't. What happened was that I got lucky with a couple of cryssalids going for civvies in my LOS instead of off-screen or my own soldiers, and about half of the floaters getting caught in overwatch crossfire as they showed up.

The cryssalids are the only hard part about early terrors and I was dealt a good hand with how they attacked, the floaters were cake, though I did have one pucker moment when I had to run an assault blind to the top of a building to get a floater that had holed up. Got lucky it was close enough to flank.

xenist

Questions about the difficulty settings:

What is recommended? Normal or Classic?

I am an old veteran of XCOM but it has been some years.....

Will I be frustrated by Classic?

I say, start at least a game on Normal to see how it plays out.

I think the best analogy I heard was that X-Com has incredible highs and incredibly tedious lows, while XCOM sticks more solidly to the upper-middle class in exchage for curtailing some of the more interesting systemic mechanics, primarily on the strategic side.

In short: yes, it's a little bit more simplified; no, it's not a detriment to the game for the most part; yes, you should play this game.

This is a good description of XCOM.

Next Patch is on the way,

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?177126-XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-2nd-Patch-update

Major Fixes
• Abductor roof visibility problems resolved

• Interception game hang issues resolved
o If two interceptors are sent after UFO
o If Skyranger is returning from combat after an Interceptor was already deployed

• SHIV inaccessible issues resolved

• AI Alien Activity Hang resolution

• Multiplayer connectivity optimization

Other Fixes
• TempleShip optimization: All Soldiers properly spawn when restarting the mission after clearing the second room of TempleShip

• Snapshot penalty should no longer apply when Overwatching without first moving.

• Easy Difficulty is now easier.

Again, thanks for all the feedback and for being super patient as we prepare each patch for release. We are always monitoring the forums for issues and will post as soon as we get official updates.

Seems like it hits about 80% of the worst issues.

McNum

Started my first game on Classic (no Ironman).

See how it goes.
There is an autosave function in the Options menu. While you don''t have to save-scum, it's nice to ave the last 2-3 turns saved automatically, especially in the case of bugs. And I'm not talking the huge ones with big teeth and sharp claws that want to eat you, only the programming ones.

Vol5

The difficulty seems to go fucking crazy after the Alien Ship mission. Might have to develop Psi-Armor to protect my squad from getting nailed.

If there's one this I'd change with the game in general is the Snipers field of view. It needs to be extended. I'm constantly moving him / her a few tiles forward to get into a killzone. Snipers should be picking bad guys up from range.

Rufus

If there's one this I'd change with the game in general is the Snipers field of view. It needs to be extended. I'm constantly moving him / her a few tiles forward to get into a killzone. Snipers should be picking bad guys up from range.
They're a pain to level up until you have squad sight, which I feel is a must. Not even sure what the other ability at that junction is.

McNum

The difficulty seems to go fucking crazy after the Alien Ship mission. Might have to develop Psi-Armor to protect my squad from getting nailed.

Reach Corporal level, pick Squad Sight. What your other soldiers can see, the sniper can see, if there's a clear line of fire to it. Put sniper somewhere with a good view
like in the air with Archangel Armor on
and pick off enemies from across the map.
They're a pain to level up until you have squad sight, which I feel is a must. Not even sure what the other ability at that junction is.
Snap Shot. You can fire the sniper rifle after moving at a 20% penalty to aim.

Beaulieu

yesterday I started my 7th attempt at classic ironman.
it went way better than my 6 first attemps.

coincidentally, this is the first time I try without being under the influence of marijuana and/or alchool.

If you ask me the first sniper you get should always be squad sight. Snap shot is awesome, but a getting a squad sight sniper ranked up as fast as possible is so fucking key, they just wreck shit up and late game with the right equipment and specced the right way... they're just murdering machines.

Hindle

Banned
I started this in classic and I've never played Xcom before. I predictably got my arse kicked. Would you recommend staying with classic or move down to normal?

Sotha Sil

I started this in classic and I've never played Xcom before. I predictably got my arse kicked. Would you recommend staying with classic or move down to normal?

Go with normal ironman or vanilla classic. I would recommend the latter, since normal's poor AI and strategic hand-holding get annoying fast.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So the final mission questions...
The alien leader is talking to you... but I literally couldn't understand one thing he was saying. Was he explaining their origin or their purpose? What was he saying? I saw some flash scenes that made me think maybe they were experimenting on humans and turning them into the aliens. Also so were the ethereals the master race or were they puppets of some entity too? Were the aliens trying to blow up earth with that ship? I beat the last mission but had no clue what was going on, that guy was like "GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE"
On your next playthrough, turn on subtitles for the final mission.

After getting wupped three times on classic Ironman, I went down to save scummed classic. I'll say this,

1) I learned how to play the tactical layer. By trying, failing, retrying, failing, retrying the same situation, I realized what movement strategies worked and what didn't. In ironman, the situations were too different to take a lot of tactical lessons from, so I would make similar mistakes because the situations looked slightly different.

2) The tactical layer is still fun, the strategy layer becomes boring. When there's never a fear of losing a tactical engagement, those strategy layer decisions matter less.

My suggestion, play till you see the high level enemies and it ceases to be hard while save scumming, the start over in ironman where the game takes a whole new level of awesome.

RedSwirl

Okay so Yahtzee just gave XCOM probably the most positive review I’ve seen from Zero Punctuation in a while. You guys are all saying it’s great too. I’m definitely feeling the peer pressure to at least download the demo.

Here’s the problem: I still have the entire original series sitting uninstalled on my Steam game list. I just… I don’t wanna feel like I wasted those five US dollars on those five games, but they’re so far down on my backlog man.

Just tell me this: How similar is the new one to the likes of Valkyria Chronicles or Final Fantasy Tactics?

DasRaven

Just tell me this: How similar is the new one to the likes of Valkyria Chronicles or Final Fantasy Tactics?

Similar, but different in very significant ways. Honestly, just DL the demo and play it.
You'll know immediately if you want to buy the full game. The demo is an excellent intro.

Too lazy for that? Watch the demo playthrough here.

Zarx

Next Patch is on the way,

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?177126-XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-2nd-Patch-update

Seems like it hits about 80% of the worst issues.

while this patch is welcomed and they are good fixes, after all this time I was hoping something bigger. At least fixing the crashes, especially on the final mission. Also no disabling shot granting infinite reaction shots fix? How about the flight glitches that the preview path that it shows will be totally wrong and your unit will end going to the wrong place. Parts UI becoming unresponsive if you switch characters with an Alien targeted with an ability, grappling hook, and the Psi training glitches. Some balance fixes would have been nice as well.

Really this patch seems a tad slight IMO.

After all my bitching and complaining about the PS3 version, I keep coming back.

I've got it this time, I'm sitting pretty heading into June (or July) only lost one country and sats in everyone before the end of the month.

I finally figured out the secretzzzzz to the squad stuff, well secrets as in I'm doing almost perfect on every mission even on Classic Ironman.

In fact my last Terror mission had me kill 30 Aliens (Zombies add up!) and I only lost two of my soldiers ... one of my SQ. (who cares) when I over extended by about two tiles. And the other due to sudden roof jumping Chryssalid of doom.

Got light plasma researched so it's a quick slope until the end... I've got it.

(I just jinxed it, I'll get a game ending bug now.)

TTG

I'm in the second half of classic ironman and it's clear that I'm going to win now... but I wouldn't recommend anyone play this mode unless you want the achievement or something. Simply play it in the same style, but with a save to fall back on if the game screws up. It's too buggy to suffer through some of this stuff.

I just had a mission where I spent a turn, all 6 guys, looking for a tile that would let me aim at a floater who was right up against a ceiling. This guy is right in the middle of everyone and he can sure as hell hit me, but I could only make out 2 tiles where I could aim at him. Grenades don't work because he's in the air... it was just a mess. Later in the same mission I had a muton take an overwatch shot on me as I stumbled onto him through the fog of war. What happened was that 3 of them appeared on a turn and scrambled in different directions. This guy somehow scrambled through a wall, to the outside of a ship and stayed on permanent overwatch. Never moved, nothing. Then, there's the phantom cover bonuses on clearly flanked people. These guys can't one shot kill me anymore, but a 10 hit point shot is still annoying from a guy that should clearly have been dead on a previous turn.

epmode

while this patch is welcomed and they are good fixes, after all this time I was hoping something bigger. At least fixing the crashes, especially on the final mission. Also no disabling shot granting infinite reaction shots fix? How about the flight glitches that the preview path that it shows will be totally wrong and your unit will end going to the wrong place. Parts UI becoming unresponsive if you switch characters with an Alien targeted with an ability, grappling hook, and the Psi training glitches. Some balance fixes would have been nice as well.

Really this patch seems a tad slight IMO.

I bet it's been done for a while now. Gotta wait for that certification!

Normal Ironman, for sure. In fact, I would recommend easy ironman before normal ironman

*Disclaimer: I have not tried easy.

Normal is pretty manageable once you learn the ropes, but you'll still lose colonels in the late game.

Dennis

Banned
What exactly does Ironman do?

What is different?

I started a game on Classic, Non-Ironman but now I am thinking I should start over with Classic Ironman.

Varna

What is different?

I started a game on Classic, Non-Ironman but now I am thinking I should start over with Classic Ironman.

Basically you can't save/load previous saves. So it makes it a lot tougher because we all know shit happens in this game that makes you want to reload.

Playing through classic ironman at the moment. Those first few missions are rough. I'm in month three now and I have my carapace armor and a few good soldiers and I'm breezing through (even with Mutons now in play... those drones are going to be hard though. No laser/plasma weapons YET).

Classic was the first difficulty I went with. Non-ironman. I got pretty far in and just got destroyed in a certain mission. I decided I wanted to play through normal ironman first... it's ridiculously easy. By the end I was just setting up soldiers to soak up damage and hardly lost anyone. I didn't finish the game though, I just started over on classic ironman.

TTG

What is different?

It restricts you to one autosave, which it will do automatically after every turn and after every geospace move.

I always went with in the zone. With the proper planning and a good amount of support your sniper can just start taking near infinite amount of shots.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Double tap is absolutely insane. You're a crazy person if you take in the zone over that.

My sniper ended the game with like 80 more kills then the next highest guy thanks to that insanity.

Double tap is absolutely insane. You're a crazy person if you take in the zone over that.

My sniper ended the game with like 80 more kills then the next highest guy thanks to that insanity.

No way. In the zone, damn good ground, exectioner and ghost armor. flank them with the sniper, wear them down with the rest of the squad, blap blap blap blap blap. 5 dead enemies without using a single action.

It was a fucking shooting gallery. 100%. Dead. In the Zone! 100%. Dead. In the Zone! 100%. Dead. In the Zone! 100%. Dead. In the Zone! 100%. Dead. In the Zone!

demidar

No way. In the zone, damn good ground, exectioner and ghost armor. flank them with the sniper, wear them down with the rest of the squad, blap blap blap blap blap. 5 dead enemies without using a single action.

It was a fucking shooting gallery. 100%. Dead. In the Zone! 100%. Dead. In the Zone! 100%. Dead. In the Zone! 100%. Dead. In the Zone! 100%. Dead. In the Zone!

I can't risk wearing them down, those end-game dudes could end me pretty quickly if I don't take most of them out during the initial encounter.

Rufus

Blow them up! Grenades were made for situations like that.
Yeah, got all but the three. They killed the exposed one, after which the guy next to him panicked and shot a team mate. He survived, but I'm waiting for the patch for now. (Had another game go sideways shortly before, so I was in no mood.)

In case it's not clear, those spawned all at once in front of the guy behind the tombstone. Imagine if it happened later game. Four packs of Mutons all at once, while not the worst, would probably be really, really bad.

McNum

XCOM...?

Oh, and that's the second mission.
Selected guy: Move west to the second flower pot, do not use the second AP yet. Guy at the eastern flowerpot is flanking an enemy. Kill it. Move inured guy to where the first selected guy was standing. Throw grenade at the three closest Sectoids. Guy in front of the flower pot moves in range of a grenade throw on the two Sectoids behind the benches. The currently selected guy either shoots at or throws grenade at the two remaining Sectoids.

End result: 0-2 Sectoids alive on the alien turn, all units in cover. It's a bad situation, but it's manageable.

You must get In the Zone/ Double tap at Colonel because I have a Sniper at Major and haven't seen that yet. Even still, she's an absolute beast and the cornerstone of my squad. Pure, efficient, killing machine.

pringles

I can't risk wearing them down, those end-game dudes could end me pretty quickly if I don't take most of them out during the initial encounter.
Double tap is the "safe" option, but In The Zone could potentially give higher rewards if used correctly.

The only way to do it is to have two snipers. Snapshot/In The Zone, Squadsight/Double tap.

TTG

Thank god for those civilians in the terror mission, something to distract ET. Used the first turn out of the skyranger for the usual run to cover + 6 guys in overwatch. In ONE enemy turn, 2 heavy floater gangs and 2 mutons + berserker gangs show up. If it was just me vs them it would have been a blood bath. As it turned out, I only lost one guy.

Chalk this up to more glitches/poorly executed design. I didn't move more than 20 feet from the skyranger the whole terror mission, everyone just spawned right in front of me... mostly in 1 turn. I just need to sit tight and wait for Dishonored to ship, before all this frustration turns me off the game I loved playing since the day it came out.

McNum

We had the same idea. 2 points of damage.

X. COM.
No plan is reliable once it encounters the enemy. Or XCOM. And doing minimum damage on a flanked target is just disappointing. A slightly more exploitative move would have been to put the guy on Overwatch as a flanked enemy will often freeze if it knows it's being threatened with an Overwatch.

How did the fight go, anyway? Did you win?

Top Bottom