• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Beaulieu

quick important question

ive read earlier that if you fail a mission in ironman, you are given the option to try again, is that true ?

I lost 3 of my best men and I wonder if I should die with my 4th one right away

quick important question

ive read earlier that if you fail a mission in ironman, you are given the option to try again, is that true ?

I lost 3 of my best men and I wonder if I should die with my 4th one right away

No, not at all. Only the last mission lets you restart because it imperative to the story. But when you're soldiers die, they're dead.

Soldier takes damage.

Reload.

Guy you designated to be leveled up dies.

Reload.Reload.Reload.

What's this all about, a reload bug?

XCOM 2 needs to allow you to shoot at cover...walls...etc.

Starting a full blown Ironman Classic. After 14 attempts and failing...I went vanilla Classic and won.

So now to deal with my shame.

Ironman Classic.

LOVE this game.

Also...they need more "multi-level" terrain in the next game. I love my Skeleton-Grapple Hook armour.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Double tap is absolutely insane. You're a crazy person if you take in the zone over that.

My sniper ended the game with like 80 more kills then the next highest guy thanks to that insanity.

Double Tap can give you 2 kills per turn max. In the Zone can let you kill as many enemies as you see.

I think I just got to the first alien base. I had to abandon the shit out of it. Lost half my squad, and that was before 4 more Mutons appeared out of nowhere. :\ When did aliens learn how to
throw grenades!
WHEN!? Anyways, I got to recoup now, I've got Titan armor coming up is 5 days so hopefully that will help.

edit: ah fuck, it costs $150 and I have no alloys. :( I'm fucked.

2nd Classic Ironman Mode just went to shiiiiiiiit. Goddamn Brazillian VP mission from the council.

Snackbar: Council mission! Send all my good dudes to lock that shit DOWN!

Xenos: NOPE.

Fucking.../rocked/. Everyone dead, VP died of poison almost immediately and his death caused a chain panic through the team that saw them kill two of their own. Absolute disaster. God DAMNIT.

Rufus

I think I have the sequence down now. Panicking is what fucked me over most the last few missions. You are so, so screwed if you have nothing but rookies to choose from because even the Muton's battle cry will make them shit their pants.

Ketch

2nd Classic Ironman Mode just went to shiiiiiiiit. Goddamn Brazillian VP mission from the council.

Snackbar: Council mission! Send all my good dudes to lock that shit DOWN!

Xenos: NOPE.

Fucking.../rocked/. Everyone dead, VP died of poison almost immediately and his death caused a chain panic through the team that saw them kill two of their own. Absolute disaster. God DAMNIT.

VIP mission freakin SUCK!

Terror missions also SUCK!

Very Difficult Abduction Missions also SUCK!

game is hard
so hard

Vyer

Big fan of the original, I finally picked this up. Bought the retail copy since I traded in some old stuff to cut the price.

This is like the longest install ever.

Dunno if this is a bug, a feature, or just a trick but: you can get a free reload action out of dashing if you click the weapon icon right at the end of your character's dash. You need to time it just right to be effective - wait too long and the move will end, do it too soon and you don't get the full effectiveness out of the dash.

Anybody know if the PAL Xbox version of XCOM is region free? I've had it with the horrible PS3 version, and the only version of the game I can get locally for the Xbox is the PAL version.

demidar

Anybody know if the PAL Xbox version of XCOM is region free? I've had it with the horrible PS3 version, and the only version of the game I can get locally for the Xbox is the PAL version.

Why not just get it on PC? If you really want to get it on Xbox there's a couple of blogs that test out region locking somewhere.

Lol, I admit that I've undone a turn on classic ironamn a couple times now when I've accidently misclicked on a location and accidently left a dude out in the open. \

I am ashamed :(

Celegus

Maaaan I got screwed so hard last night on a regular UFO mission. I'm still pretty early on (this was the first mission after alien base), and I was trying to capture a Muton. I killed 5 Mutons and left one with 1HP, but he kept running just out of range of my Support with Arc Thrower and injuring all my dudes. I finally cornered him and got right next to him for a 90% chance to capture. Fails. Decide to take the hit and try again next turn... fails again!! Nobody is dead yet but pretty much everyone is low on health. Finally just kill the thing since I don't have any more Arcs, but apparently there are more aliens somewhere.

I start exploring the UFO and find two sectoid commanders. Get a crit on one that leaves it at 1HP, then miss an 85% shot. Sniper gets mind controlled which spooks my Assault, he kills my Heavy and then Sniper kills him. Second sectoid kills my Support, but luckily she was just bleeding out and not entirely dead. No medkits left, so I wasn't sure if it would count her KIA or not at the end of the mission, thankfully she does revive. This game.

TTG

*sigh* Lost a colonel and my only support just now. She was the only one with a medpac and I had to WATCH HER BLEED OUT!

Classic Ironamn almost won, I just have to construct a certain chamber and hopefully everything goes to plan(I only have 1 psi capable guy on the roster, everyone else's will is in the 60s). But, it hasn't been all rosy. Oh colonel Something "shadow" Something, you would have had a permanent place on my roster 'till the end. I just watched her zap a Muton for me last mission, to get an extra plasma rifle... oh God, why?

I wish I learned about psi guy's will thing earlier. I tested everyone and only recieved 1 Psi support troop. Who was in the very first test.

Nobody else is gifted, and I mean NOBODY. Now I have a roster of troops I can't test again, so I need to purchase new troops and bring their will up to make a Psi army.

What will rating has the best ods ? 60+ ?

Celegus

I have a random question as well: is it worth it to get Interceptors in continents you don't have satellites over? Do you ever get missions there, or do they only attack satellite countries?

atomico

I have a random question as well: is it worth it to get Interceptors in continents you don't have satellites over? Do you ever get missions there, or do they only attack satellite countries?

AFAIK, there's no point in having interceptors alone (no UFOs will be detected, i.e. nothing to intercept :p) or satellites alone on a continent (they'll detect UFOs, but you won't be able to shoot them down).

Edit: Come to think of it, satellites alone might help you detect landed UFO missions, in which case you only need to send in the Skyranger to start a mission. Then again, I've logged around 45 hours in the game and I've only seen one of this type of missions :p

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

They can attack places you don't have coverage over. Also if you have a satellite without an interceptor stationed there they can shoot the satellite down.

Interceptors are super cheap, there is no reason not to have 1 stationed everywhere.

TTG

I wish I learned about psi guy's will thing earlier. I tested everyone and only recieved 1 Psi support troop. Who was in the very first test.

Nobody else is gifted, and I mean NOBODY. Now I have a roster of troops I can't test again, so I need to purchase new troops and bring their will up to make a Psi army.

What will rating has the best ods ? 60+ ?

I've never had a 70+ fail, but I've had plenty of people fail in the 60s. Which is why I don't bother sending people off unless they are in the 70s. Don't know about you, but taking some of my best guys out for 10 days is a luxury I can't afford.

Whenever I make another run at it, on impossible or whatever, I'll get the will bonus from the Officer School ASAP to really take advantage of the psi stuff. I wonder how having 4-6 squad members, all with psi abilities will play.

You get missions across the world, but unless you have a satellite over a country, you won't pick up on UFOs in the air... which means you'll never have to send an interceptor in a spot where you have no satellite coverage.

duckroll

I'm finally at the end stretch. Building the Gallop Chamber, researched everything, haven't dropped below $1000 in 2 months now, and pretty much out of stuff to do in terms of improving my soldiers. I just got a terror mission right after both my support guys got wounded in a UFO mission, but I'm not worried since I can just throw two Hover-SHIVs in to replace them in the team. It's feeling kinda easy now! Funny how things totally turn around after you get full satellite coverage worldwide.

I used the Resource Hacker from XCOM Nexus and started a Impossible Ironman game with the following modifications:

- no extra HP on Sectoids
- 1 extra HP on Thin Men (5 total)

The difficultly level is just where I want it now. It's still super difficult, but the crapshoot that is the first month and a half of Impossible is now manageable provided you play nearly flawlessly. The vanllia experience of the game is still left completely intact, which is what I was looking for.

Highly recommended changes if you were like me: Classic was too easy, Impossible too frustrating.

Miletius

I used the Resource Hacker from XCOM Nexus and started a Impossible Ironman game with the following modifications:

- no extra HP on Sectoids
- 1 extra HP on Thin Men (5 total)

The difficultly level is just where I want it now. It's still super difficult, but the crapshoot that is the first month and a half of Impossible is now manageable provided you play nearly flawlessly. The vanllia experience of the game is still left completely intact, which is what I was looking for.

Highly recommended changes if you were like me: Classic was too easy, Impossible too frustrating.

Thin men have 6 HP on impossible. Well, some of mine had 3 on the first council mission, but most of them have 6.

demidar

I can pretty much take on anything now on my Classic Ironman run. I have the Gollop chamber ready to go but I want to mind control an Ethereal first. Team is compose of 5 Colonels and a Sergeant, 1 sniper, 2 supports, 2 heavies and an assault who is the only psi member in my entire base. Shot down a battleship and got those upgrades. The game really gets easy late game.

Thin men have 6 HP on impossible. Well, some of mine had 3 on the first council mission, but most of them have 6.

Yep, I meant 1 HP over the "base" number of four. Five is actually the right number for them-they will not die to assault rifles w/o a crit, but can be killed with a LMG shot or sniper rifle. They are guaranteed kills if you connect with a laser rifle.

They are still extremely deadly since they have the +10 to hit light plasma rifles and have the 100% to hit spit attack.

The thin man HP change is mostly necessary due to what happens if you get Bomb Disposal as your first council mission on impossible in your first month. Completely unreasonable.

demidar

Ok managed to mind control an ethereal at 96% chance. The psi soldier had base ~75 Will + 30 for Mind Shield + 20 for Psi Armour (not 30 as stated in the description) + 30 for Psi Inspiration + however many for Mind Frayed targets.

Now I'm gonna make it Rift itself lol.

Miletius

Yep, I meant 1 HP over the "base" number of four. Five is actually the right number for them-they will not die to assault rifles w/o a crit, but can be killed with a LMG shot or sniper rifle. They are guaranteed kills if you connect with a laser rifle.

They are still extremely deadly since they have the +10 to hit light plasma rifles and have the 100% to hit spit attack.

The thin man HP change is mostly necessary due to what happens if you get Bomb Disposal as your first council mission on impossible in your first month. Completely unreasonable.

I got Bomb disposal in the middle of my 3rd month and it was still a bloodbath, so I know what you are saying. Might as well go home on the first month and give up that country.

demidar

Finally finished the game in Classic Ironman, second try. Didn't get lucky with a plasma weapon request to get flooded with money but still continued alright. Now I can shelve this game for good.

TTG

Finally finished the game in Classic Ironman, second try. Didn't get lucky with a plasma weapon request to get flooded with money but still continued alright. Now I can shelve this game for good.

I'm right on your heels, 6 days until the
Gallop Chamber
is built. I'm thinking about ignoring a terror mission that just popped up too. Why bother exposing myself to that mess? It's been 4 sectopods in the last 2 missions, I don't need it to go 6 in 3 with another 20 or so of their friends.

To the people suggesting classic ironman is just such a breeze at the end, really? I mean, there's no chance of a flat out loss, but it's not like you can steamroll through the huge UFOs, there's enough danger there.

Top Bottom