• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

TTG

Anyone know what a star next to a soldier's rank means? He's a colonel, so there are no promotions coming.

demidar

I'm right on your heels, 6 days until the
Gallop Chamber
is built. I'm thinking about ignoring a terror mission that just popped up too. Why bother exposing myself to that mess? It's been 4 sectopods in the last 2 missions, I don't need it to go 6 in 3 with another 20 or so of their friends.

To the people suggesting classic ironman is just such a breeze at the end, really? I mean, there's no chance of a flat out loss, but it's not like you can steamroll through the huge UFOs, there's enough danger there.

The biggest enemy in those huge UFOs is the camera. But wow that's a lot of sectopods. I swear they have some hidden bullshit armour because I can completely encircle one at short range and have most of them miss.

He went to the save game folder and reverted it back to a previous state. All off stream, of course, but it's pretty obvious what happened.

Well I noticed that if the game closes before the enemy turn ends you get sent back to the start of your previous turn. Happened to me a few times when alt tabbing while in window mode, game crashed once in a while like that.

Although that one was clearly intentional lol

demidar

Well I noticed that if the game closes before the enemy turn ends you get sent back to the start of your previous turn. Happened to me a few times when alt tabbing while in window mode, game crashed once in a while like that.

Although that one was clearly intentional lol

Huh, I never had the game crash on me when I alt-tabbed which I did often since I had to pause/start podcasts regularly. You playing borderless-windowed?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I only have 4 gigs too. It's fine for me since I only have a single monitor setup and generally only have iTunes in the background in addition to a game.

Hehe, I was just being a little cheeky. 4GB is enough for most people, even nowadays. But, if you're multitasking, like streaming for example, then it doesn't hurt to have a little more.

Grimsen

Finished my 4th game, and first on ironman classic. Only 4 achievements to go, and I already forgot which continents I beat game on. :( I'm pretty sure I'm missing Europe.

My second Ironman Classic attempt has come to an end. I did a lot better then my first, got through 5 months compared to 3. I knew it would fail from the start, since I didn't get satellites up quickly enough in the start. The nail in the coffin was 2 of the last 3 missions which I failed. Attacking the first alien base (I think it was) when I got devastated by Mutons, lost half my squad and had to abort. I picked up a Captain Assault in an easy abduction mission next, but lost him and most others in a terrible bomb disposal mission. On one of those bridge maps, with hundreds (probably) of Thin Man, just poison and carnage all over the place.

mC5LM.jpg

TTG

Classic Ironman done. And the Ain't No Cavalry Comin' trophy as a cherry on top. I still think the frustration that comes with the bugs and some of the "cheap" stuff is not worth the trouble. Much better to do a self imposed ban on saving during missions. That way when your heavy decides to fire off a rocket 90 degrees from where he was suppose to, pureeing half your squad, or 90% of the bad guys on a terror mission spawn in front of you at the end of the first turn... you can reload.

Also, because the stakes are so high, I found myself playing a very conservative game. My squad only ever split if I had to cover 2 fronts at once and the number of times I would run and gun to for a point blank shot, or flanking in general, went way down. So much so that my average shot percentage went from 75ish on last go around to 65ish. Always worrying about what's just behind the fog of war or leaving a guy exposed will do that.

So yea, some more final thoughts as general advice in bullet point form:

-Play on classic, buy a ton of satellites early
-Don't turn Ironman on, but don't load unless you really feel cheated. It's when you're at a disadvantage that some of the most creative and elaborate strategies are born
-Don't go looking for a perfect formula. The pacing and depth are great because they consistently encourage new stuff to try

Grimsen

I didn't have any problems with my last Ironman that warranted not using it. I just made sure to never send 2 planes simultaneously.

Also, reloading aftet a rocket misfire defeats the whole purpose of "self imposed" ironman. :)

Plissken

I am having a lot of fun with this so far, was mostly an impulse purchase while waiting for Assassins Creed 3, but I've ended up playing this more.

Had my first instance of a "fuck this!" moment; accepted a Very Difficult terror mission, land the Skyranger and send out my squad. Enemy appears, and right out of the gate it's 3 Chrysalids and 3 Cyberdiscs. Turned around, jumped in the Skyranger and ran like a bitch. :D I didn't need Australia anyway...

TTG

I am having a lot of fun with this so far, was mostly an impulse purchase while waiting for Assassins Creed 3, but I've ended up playing this more.

Had my first instance of a "fuck this!" moment; accepted a Very Difficult terror mission, land the Skyranger and send out my squad. Enemy appears, and right out of the gate it's 3 Chrysalids and 3 Cyberdiscs. Turned around, jumped in the Skyranger and ran like a bitch. :D I didn't need Australia anyway...

3 Cyberdisks is odd, I haven't seen more than 2 on a single mission. The best way I found to take out robotic enemies is a heavy's rocket with the +100% robot damage ability(automatic 12 hit points gone) followed by a sniper shot. If everything falls right, you can take care of them with 2 people in 1 turn.

With cyberdisks, they get that bonus defense for flying AND being in that shell, so going at them with assault rifles/shotguns sucks.

pringles

I didn't have any problems with my last Ironman that warranted not using it. I just made sure to never send 2 planes simultaneously.
2 planes WHAT. You can do that?

Don't tell me I've put 50+ hours into this without knowing something super useful like that...

I think this it guys, after bugs and one of the best FUCK -restart- games I've ever played... I'm 99% sure I'm going to beat Classic Ironman.

Tomorrow I will be one proud man.

Plissken

3 Cyberdisks is odd, I haven't seen more than 2 on a single mission. The best way I found to take out robotic enemies is a heavy's rocket with the +100% robot damage ability(automatic 12 hit points gone) followed by a sniper shot. If everything falls right, you can take care of them with 2 people in 1 turn.

With cyberdisks, they get that bonus defense for flying AND being in that shell, so going at them with assault rifles/shotguns sucks.

It might have only been 2 Cyberdiscs, either way I was SOL. I only had one heavy with me, and he hasn't leveled enough to have that ability. This is still my first game though, I don't expect to make it through with every nation anyway. :)

TTG

I think this it guys, after bugs and one of the best FUCK -restart- games I've ever played... I'm 99% sure I'm going to beat Classic Ironman.

Don't take that last mission for granted.
The toughest spot for me was the muton room. You got 2 pairs way out in the corners and a berserker in the middle. Doesn't sound tough, but all of my guys had to come in through one fucking door in the middle and the mutons are slightly below, so the sniper's aim is cut off.

What made it all the more awkward is that I had both of my assaults in ghost armor way behind enemy lines... and the obvious has to happen, they take reaction shots in the middle of the alien turn and reveal themselves. I wish it would disable those when they're cloaked, turns the whole thing to shit.

milkham

Don't take that last mission for granted.
The toughest spot for me was the muton room. You got 2 pairs way out in the corners and a berserker in the middle. Doesn't sound tough, but all of my guys had to come in through one fucking door in the middle and the mutons are slightly below, so the sniper's aim is cut off.

What made it all the more awkward is that I had both of my assaults in ghost armor way behind enemy lines... and the obvious has to happen, they take reaction shots in the middle of the alien turn and reveal themselves. I wish it would disable those when they're cloaked, turns the whole thing to shit.

do you have archangel armor? on my classic ironman run when i got there i just had two snipers up in the air in back of the room before that, moved a ghosted unit in on each side to reveal the pairs , double tapped them, and the berzerker came up the little ramp but was finished by my assault's reaction fire.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just started playing today, picked Classic difficulty.

Everyone I liked in my squad died.

Fuck.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's hilarious how you can just nonchalantly change the race/ethnicity of that one guy who survived the tutorial on the fly before the 1st mission. Even changing his whole identity, hahaha.

Goddamn the men/women under your command are all so ugly looking.

Has anybody else lost upgrades? I'm on my second playthrough, and I bought the medikit uprade, then went on a story mission, but the medikits still only healed 4 points instead of 6, and the medikit upgrade is no longer listed in the Foundry menu. Has this happened to anyone else?

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I've never had a 70+ fail, but I've had plenty of people fail in the 60s. Which is why I don't bother sending people off unless they are in the 70s. Don't know about you, but taking some of my best guys out for 10 days is a luxury I can't afford.

I had a support soldier on my last run that had a base will (no item boosts) of 104 who didn't have the gift. :/

Has anybody else lost upgrades? I'm on my second playthrough, and I bought the medikit uprade, then went on a story mission, but the medikits still only healed 4 points instead of 6, and the medikit upgrade is no longer listed in the Foundry menu. Has this happened to anyone else?

The items in the foundry take time to build (10-15 days usually).

VICTORY!!!!

Congrats! Is that on Ironman too?

I'm being tortured by Ironman classic. I ranked pretty well on Normal. I thought I understood this game. But Thin men getting 9 damage with critical when i'm in cover is nonsense!

I keep making troops named after the beatles and they all keep dying. In my last match whitch was a UFO mission, only ringo survived, but I couldn't handle it so I tried to quit to menu before it saved.

I'm also chasing the achievement that one troop is in every mission. (John Lennon)

:'(

I just want all 4 of them to make to the end.

TTG

I'm considering starting a game on impossible and taking it really slowly. What are are some Geospace strategies? How extensive does my satellite coverage need to be early on? Don't tell me it's a matter of covering the whole globe as quickly as possible.

I'm considering starting a game on impossible and taking it really slowly. What are are some Geospace strategies? How extensive does my satellite coverage need to be early on? Don't tell me it's a matter of covering the whole globe as quickly as possible.

The more coverage you have the more missions you get ergo... the quicker you'll get supplies and soldier experience. But it'll also mean the Council will hold you more accountable.

Celegus

I realized something funny last night. The thing that stresses me out the most about this game? Losing a soldier? No. Getting screwed by a bug? Nope. Panic levels increasing and not having enough money? Nah.

It's deciding where to place buildings in the base. I must have stared at that screen for 20 minutes and ended up doing nothing. Questioning if I should remove certain buildings, scrap my old satellite buildings for the better versions, which bonuses are worth getting, etc.

Woo, Classic Ironman game seems to be back on track.

After having two shitty rounds in a row (Lost all my vets but My Assault, Omar Little and my sniper Leandor Sydnor) I had to train rookies back up. This is mid game, lasers, light plasma, etc. Even well equipped though, squaddies were getting slaugthered left and right. I'd come out of missions with 3-4 casualties, and I wasn't progressing. Finally, I got a couple of soldier drops from missions, giving me a foothold, so I can develop a few rookies on my own.

2 missions later i get some plasma weapons, and a couple sets of titan armour and assault the alien base. 1 corporal, 23 dead aliens, and a very key panic reduction has resulted in a game that looked like it was about to fall apart a month ago, into one that is looking really good now.

What's really cool, if I make it to the end here, I can actually point to a specific single lucky shot that saved the game. I had amission go to shit, just my heavy and sniper left in place, and I have a beserker and a couple of muton left. The Beserker moves in range of my sniper, but out of his line of sight, and my heavy misses both his shots. If that Beserker takes out the sniper my chances are pretty poor, as I'll be starting at that point with nothing in regards to troops. But no, my sniper makes the up close overwatch shot to save his life, and perhaps earth.

Make no mistake, the XCom major crime unit's bench is shallow as a kiddie pool, but at least we now have Col. Omar Little, Col. Sydnor, Cpt. Ronda Pearlman, Cpt. Stringer Bell, and Sgt. Avon Barksdale achoring the squad as we develop some promising new rookies, such as Cheese and Brother Mazzoune.

Incidently, the wire needs more badass females, I've killed off all the best one's already :(

Well that's that.

The final straw in my Xcom career unless something drastic happens with the patches.

Got to the final room, wiped out - no big deal, I can just re-do it!

Load the game, all my soldiers are invincible but I can still move them - weird! I move them all, okay... can't end any of their turns because it won't allow me to use the "R2" stuff.

Okay, no worries, I'll reload.

... What the fuck? I'm back just before the final assault, bonus! Series of events happens and I end up with just on Etheral and Two Mutons left but I wipe. DAMNIT.

Oh well, I can try it again ... this time it won't be bugged. I go to the bathroom while it loads... come back, my soldiers are invincible again... the fuck? Okay... FUCK, can't end the turns again. I'll try to reload once more before my baby wakes up from her nap.

I reload... mother of God, it's my save game again... except this time instead of being fully ready to assault the final room... it's my lonely PSI Warrior and one Heavy in dire straits. First alien move one hits my PSI Warrior, game over.

... and now I'm forever in a loop of either no soldiers and can't re-try or my final move of being one hit.

Fuck you, Firaxis.

Dennis

Banned
Oh God this game is so good.

I am doing vanilla Classic which I realize is cheating but this is my first playthrough.

I am doing vanilla Classic which I realize is cheating but this is my first playthrough.

The game is perfect (to me) when it comes to being a fun game that I don't mind losing at.

What fails is the terrible bug-fest that is beyond rage inducing. I don't know if it's just the PS3 copy but I literally want to play more right now - but what is the point when it'll just break itself like every other save file I make.

Edit: Removed unnecessary swearing. :p

My first playthrough was vanilla Classic. I don't consider it cheating, especially since I never reload spammed. I lost a bunch of good soldiers and didn't reload until I got every mission perfect, that would have broke my brain.

I think playing without Ironman the first time is the best way to go because you get comfortable with the system and how the game works.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The game is perfect (to me) when it comes to being a fun game that I don't mind losing at.

What fails is the terrible bug-fest that is beyond rage inducing. I don't know if it's just the PS3 copy but I literally want to play more right now - but what is the point when it'll just break itself like every other save file I make.

Edit: Removed unnecessary swearing. :p

I think the PS3 version is much worse than the PC one, which is already a hot mess. I noticed at my friend's house that soldiers can shoot TRHOUGH WALLS like no thang, something I haven't seen yet in the PC version.

I mean, I've seen some weird shooting angles and hilarious instances in which the soldier is facing BACKWARDS in regards to the bullet's trajectory, but shooting aliens through complete, undented walls and floors was something a bit out there.

I think the PS3 version is much worse than the PC one, which is already a hot mess. I noticed at my friend's house that soldiers can shoot TRHOUGH WALLS like no thang, something I haven't seen yet in the PC version.

I mean, I've seen some weird shooting angles and hilarious instances in which the soldier is facing BACKWARDS in regards to the bullet's trajectory, but shooting aliens through complete, undented walls and floors was something a bit out there.

I've seen it quite a few times. Including one big ass rock wall on the alien assault base.

DSmalls84

Anything I can do to avoid messing things up for myself in the pc version? I just picked it up on Steam. What kind of bugs are there?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Anything I can do to avoid messing things up for myself in the pc version? I just picked it up on Steam. What kind of bugs are there?

I don't think there's a way to directly avoid the bugs. They just come at you in spades. Visual glitches, TERRIBLE controls (multilevel missions are ugh, just ugh) and sometimes fucked up stats/features, like that time when I built a BADASS BATTLE ROBOT that happened to be a super expensive pile of junk because somehow it had no guns to speak of nor the interface recognized any instruction besides "go there".

Just try to save once every month if you are not playing Ironman.

Celegus

My first playthrough was vanilla Classic. I don't consider it cheating, especially since I never reload spammed. I lost a bunch of good soldiers and didn't reload until I got every mission perfect, that would have broke my brain.

I think playing without Ironman the first time is the best way to go because you get comfortable with the system and how the game works.

Definitely. I've only reloaded a few times so far, usually just little stuff like using run & gun and somehow still not being able to target the alien I want, or if I accidentally bump the right click and send someone out in the open to get murdered.

Miletius

On my run I just teched normally. 1 Sat on the first month, 3 more on the 2nd month. Just accept that you are going to lose more countries than usual (I lost 5 in the end). You should focus on getting through to Alien base as quickly as you can and go as soon as you have enough firepower (I usually shoot for carapace and laser snipers). Honestly in the end game you have pretty ridiculous amounts of money anyways so who cares if a few countries drop out of the project.

Danj

Is there any way to unstick a stuck ALIEN ACTIVITY? (PC version). I'm on the final mission, autosave is turned on but I have no idea how far back the save game is likely to be.

Rufus

Is there any way to unstick a stuck ALIEN ACTIVITY? (PC version). I'm on the final mission, autosave is turned on but I have no idea how far back the save game is likely to be.
You have to terminate it, unfortunately. The auto save shouldn't be too far back, if my first experience with the game on normal is anything to go by.

McNum

Autosave saves at the start of each player turn. Just after the Alien Activity text goes away, but before environment stuff happens, like cars exploding. The last three of your turns should be saved.

Top Bottom