• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

McNum

Stunning never stops being dangerous. But it's so worth it if you catch the right ones. Think of it as Pokémon, you want one of each, except the few you can't stun. It'll say so in the alien info after you've autopsied one, and they won't have the circle of lightning bolts.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I should add I don't have a medikit (never bought them and I'm out of money for the month), did I fuck up? I thought those were one-two uses before blowing up and having to rebuy? Or do you not have to rebuy items outside of just getting them to equip to squadmates?

Jintor

Think of it like Pokemon but if you don't catch the pokemon on your turn he fires green-hot bouts of plasma into the faces of your men, searing them with an otherworldly agony hithero unexperienced by the human race

TheSeks

Reloaded my save and lucked out on the aliens spawning away from the Gatekeeper/Outsider whatever you call it. Save-scummed/quicksaved/whatever you want to call it the stun attempt. Deeply wounded one of my veterans doing this but fuck it. Got it so now I just have to get one of the "grunt" aliens from the start for capture now.

Hoorah. I did get a cutscene about
it being an array/signal boost and having to decrypt it's signal
but I dunno if that's a standard capture (lowly enemy cap) or capping the outsider for the person that asked.

McNum

Yup that's the cutscene I was thinking of. You should be able to research an "Outsider Shard" project now. That's the next step in the game.

As for Med Kits, they don't self-destruct. You take them out in the field, have one or three charges (if a Support with the right ability uses it), and when you get back to base, it's refilled for free. Strangely, the same goes for grenades.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm on like the second mission or some shit atm... I keep getting poisoned while completely behind cover and it's pissing me off!@ lol

I can't hit the douches, but they're like 100% at AOE poison attacks...

Btw... how do I capture? Do I kill them? I don't get it...

TheSeks

Yup that's the cutscene I was thinking of. You should be able to research an "Outsider Shard" project now. That's the next step in the game.

As for Med Kits, they don't self-destruct. You take them out in the field, have one or three charges (if a Support with the right ability uses it), and when you get back to base, it's refilled for free. Strangely, the same goes for grenades.

Oh, nice I might buy medikits then. Though I doubt it changes the recovery time.

Evolved: If you're in the "second mission" and getting poisoned is sounds like you're playing on Hard or Impossible from the start. You might not want to do that?

TheSeks

Cheap in what way? If you're getting close (but not touching close) to the aliens you'll generally hit them. If you're using cover as "half-cover" you're doing it wrong. I learned that half-cover still has them hit you because the cover isn't really "cover" but "line of sight."

You want to stick to full-"cover" as much as possible and stay in the middle of cover instead of at the edges (only go to the edges to pop-out/fire on enemies).

The only "cheap" thing is the way enemies spawn on some maps. It's completely random but that's X-com tradition.

Evolved1

Cheap in what way? If you're getting close (but not touching close) to the aliens you'll generally hit them. If you're using cover as "half-cover" you're doing it wrong. I learned that half-cover still has them hit you because the cover isn't really "cover" but "line of sight."

You want to stick to full-"cover" as much as possible and stay in the middle of cover instead of at the edges (only go to the edges to pop-out/fire on enemies).

The only "cheap" thing is the way enemies spawn on some maps. It's completely random but that's X-com tradition.

What I mean by cheap is that enemies just randomly drop down into the map out of the fucking sky... it's retarded.

Then, my dudes cannot seem to hit shit, while enemies are hitting me 30 meters away with poison when my dude is in full cover.

Also, my dudes are retarded in overwatch... they don't wait for the enemy to move into the open before firing, for some reason they shoot while the enemy is still behind cover (even though they are about to move into the open!) and completely whiff...

Idk... this is not the kind of difficulty I like. It's not hard, it's just dumb, and the random spawns make it trial and error.

Glad I didn't actually buy this game.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What I mean by cheap is that enemies just randomly drop down into the map out of the fucking sky... it's retarded.

Then, my dudes cannot seem to hit shit, while enemies are hitting me 30 meters away with poison when my dude is in full cover.

Also, my dudes are retarded in overwatch... they don't wait for the enemy to move into the open before firing, for some reason they shoot while the enemy is still behind cover (even though they are about to move into the open!) and completely whiff...

Idk... this is not the kind of difficulty I like. It's not hard, it's just dumb, and the random spawns make it trial and error.

Poison is 100% hit. Low damage, but with damage over time. It's supposed to be like that. You have to make sure that you spread your guys out so they don't get hit by the AOE poison. Or use a medkit guy in range of the poison spit, so that the thinmen waste their turn spitting at him. Anyone equipped with a medkit is immune to poison.

When enemies are moving, they trigger overwatch. Enemies that are moving are never in cover, so they don't get that bonus. However, your troops have a negative accuracy modifier on overwatch shots. Only the sniper has a skill that gets rid of this accuracy penalty.

If there were no accuracy penalty on overwatch, it would usually be your best choice, and you'd just turtle for most of the game.

The game isn't as dumb as you think it is.

It's a strategy game, sounds to me like you're playing it like a action/shooter. If you're taking low percentage shots you're going to miss a lot. It doesn't matter where the enemy is during the overwatch animation the outcome is predetermined based on your accuracy and distance. There is a bug with enemies suddenly appearing close to you out of nowhere, but it's much more likely to occur on higher difficulties, and even then it's not game breaking. Basically you need to use your brain to out maneuver and out flank enemies in order to win. You can't just run head first in and expect to win.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's a strategy game, sounds to me like you're playing it like a action/shooter. If you're taking low percentage shots you're going to miss a lot. It doesn't matter where the enemy is during the overwatch animation the outcome is predetermined based on your accuracy and distance. There is a bug with enemies suddenly appearing close to you out of nowhere, but it's much more likely to occur on higher difficulties, and even then it's not game breaking. Basically you need to use your brain to out maneuver and out flank enemies in order to win. You can't just run head first in and expect to win.

Distance is only factored into the shotgun (more accurate if you're closer), and the sniper rifle (more accurate if you're further away).

Evolved1

This was a massively douchey post. At least Rentahamster's post was constructive.

Started playing on PS3 thanks to PS+. I've already put around 50 hours into the PC version.

Am at the end of May and hired 5 new soldiers after getting the Squaddie perk from Officer Training School. I ended up getting 5 Heavies. WTF!? Never had that happen before; I started laughing when I saw them. Prior to this, I only had one Heavy who died in my last mission, so these five recruits will be a welcome to my sniper and support filled roster.

TheSeks

Haven't had anyone die on my missions just yet. *knock on wood*

Okay, I actually had my Sgt. Heavy die in the first X-com Council mission. Reloaded, nailed the Thin Man for interrogation and nailed the other two that dropped with my sniper.

I picked up "Damn Good Ground" for the sniper I'm using in ALL missions for "ain't no Calvary comin'" achievement. I dunno if that was a good choice but it seemed better than a piddly +2 to damage on pistols (that won't apply to anything if it's an alien weapon?). Plus with the S.C.O.P.E. equipped to him and having the Squad Overwatch perk (basically being able to aim where allies see aliens at) he seems to have a pretty good accuracy bonus on high-ground (88% this last mission) and doubling my
formerly dead until I reset the save and redid the mission
Heavy's accuracy bonus in suppression he seems to be the work-horse of the squad.

Unlocked 5-member squads so now I can bring 1-2 more rookies in with my Veterans along with gaining the +25% exp. per kill bonus.

I didn't unlock the first story "boss"
that one thing that "fled" from the shotdown UFO
before the end of the month/first of April. Did I fuck anything over or is there no rush in regards to end-game happening?

@Evolved: Again, you want to be using cover and getting close (but not so close) to the aliens. If you're fighting the "thin men" (the ones that look like humans) you're going to get poisoned if you kill them and/or they throw poison at you. Medikits make you immune to that so if you see them, reload the save and equip medikits if you think you're going to have a rough time.

As for the accuracy, you want to get close but not so close. If you make up a squad of a Sniper (and hang this dude back and give him the Squad-seeing-enemies-throiugh-them perk instead of the other perk that isn't useful at all) a support (the smoke grenade can be useful at times for defense bonuses IIRC) a Heavy (for RPG/explosives but this isn't practical if you want research and autopsy/interrogations), and one other unit you should generally be fine.

If an alien is in "overwatch" hunker the rest of your team down and/or have your sniper unit go first (abuse the "next/previous unit" commands) and attempt to headshot or destroy the overwatch alien. They can't "react" to allies that fire on them WITHOUT moving. Overwatch happens when allies/enemies enter line-of-sight by moving. It gives an accuracy decrease that isn't really worth using Overwatch except in situations where you're wanting to cover squad-mates advances.

McNum

The game really only has one loss condition: Lose eight countries to panic. When you get a full satellite network running this becomes much more managable.

As for your Sniper, Damn Good Ground is great for the Sniper who stays in the back using Squad Sight to kill aliens from across the map, while Gunslinger is great for a Sniper who can fight in close quarters, too. It DOES affect alien weapons, and a Plasma Pistol is about the same power as a Plasma Rifle with that perk and the damage upgrade from the Foundry.

Still, Damn Good Ground is awesome, especially if the sniper has Skeleton Armor.
With a grappling hook.
It just depends on how you use your Sniper.

TheSeks

Well, one thing I'm having issues with is scientist/engineers. I'm seemingly running out of those while researching or building things. They aren't a renewable resource?

I got beam weapons researched because I didn't have enough weapon materials to go full beam weapons. I dunno if you're able to research red highlighted stuff but given it's red and "Slow (40 days)" I scoffed and was like "well, okay I'll upgrade my weapons" to find out I don't have enough engineers to build a beam weapon. Ugh.

McNum

You can build Workshops to get more Engineers. But Labs don't give you more Scientists, so don't build those.

But as usual, it comes down to satellites. More eyes in the sky means more rewards, means more Scientists and Engineers. Really, satellites are great and you should build some. Build Satellite Uplinks next to each other for a bonus +1 uplink capacity. 2+2=5! Also if you have an Alien Nav Computer, you can get the upgraded uplink facility from researching that.

As for your Sniper, Damn Good Ground is great for the Sniper who stays in the back using Squad Sight to kill aliens from across the map, while Gunslinger is great for a Sniper who can fight in close quarters, too. It DOES affect alien weapons, and a Plasma Pistol is about the same power as a Plasma Rifle with that perk and the damage upgrade from the Foundry.

Still, Damn Good Ground is awesome, especially if the sniper has Skeleton Armor.
With a grappling hook.
It just depends on how you use your Sniper.

This is a winning strategy for me. I usually spent the beginning of my missions setting up my Sniper. With Opportunist, my sniper is a godsend on Overwatch and can back up the rest of the squad with ease. Only sucks having to spend turns moving him up on crashed UFO maps.

Evolved1

What do you want me to do, hold your hand and tell you it will be ok? You want a constructive post? Learn how to play the fucking game.

Lol... you're funny man!

<----- Btw, I obviously play strategy games (srpg, etc) and my background as a gamer is rooted firmly in tactical military sims/shooters.

I'm not trying to play this "like an action game", one of the many wrong assumptions you have made about me. If anything, I have trouble playing games in that way. Took me years to condition myself to play BF games and the like at a faster pace. But I digress.

I did not realize poison, even at range, was 100% even if you were in full cover. I did not realize they would drop enemies out of the sky into the map. I did not realize enemies had such a high percentage chance to kill my soldiers in partial cover. I did not realize that soldiers in overwatch were not intelligent enough to hold their fire until an enemy was in the open (the enemies on the move might forfeit their cover bonus, but if there is some other object between your soldier and the enemy, they really love to pepper it with bullets instead of waiting 2 seconds for the clear line of fire/shot) or not shoot into a fucking wall in front of them.

I did not know these things. But now I do. Apologies if I have apparently offended you on some deep level.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I did not realize that soldiers in overwatch were not intelligent enough to hold their fire until an enemy was in the open (the enemies on the move might forfeit their cover bonus, but if there is some other object between your soldier and the enemy, they really love to pepper it with bullets instead of waiting 2 seconds for the clear line of fire/shot) or not shoot into a fucking wall in front of them.

If your soldier shoots an object, that doesn't mean that the object "blocked" your shot that would have otherwise hit the alien. It's purely cosmetic. It only looks like there's something in the way, but as far as the game mechanics are concerned, the enemy is in the "open" when it is moving, and when it triggers your overwatch.

Evolved1

If your soldier shoots an object, that doesn't mean that the object "blocked" your shot that would have otherwise hit the alien. It's purely cosmetic. It only looks like there's something in the way, but as far as the game mechanics are concerned, the enemy is in the "open" when it is moving, and when it triggers your overwatch.

Okay... that's cool. Even if it looks like the bullets are hitting a wall between him (usually his own damn cover lol) and the enemy, it's just cosmetic?

That I can live with.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Okay... that's cool. Even if it looks like the bullets are hitting a wall between him (usually his own damn cover lol) and the enemy, it's just cosmetic?

That I can live with.

Yeah, if your shot happens to clip whatever destructible object is out there, it'll get destroyed, but that's only so the game looks cool.

Mechanically, cover is only calculated when you are still.

TheSeks

Disabling Shot or Battle Scanner for a "Min-Max" Sniper/Ain't No Calvary Comin' unit?

They both seem decent but I'm leaning toward Battle Scanner but I fear the two use limit kinda makes it pointless when I can just push units forward to find enemies (but it may save my ass later) while Disabling Shot seems useful to destroy a main weapon but I dunno how practical that is...

The Stig

scanner is the popular choice, but lately I have preferred disabling shot.

I keep it in reserve til the end of a turn if an attack of mine didnt work out so well. for example it can be the difference between life and absolute death when used on a sectopod.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I usually run with two snipers, so I take one of each. They're both really useful.

Disabling shot is nice to do light damage to work towards a stun. I like to throw battle scanners far away, so that they highlight enemies that haven't been aggroed yet. Then I shoot a rocket at em while they're still clumped up.

Also posted this in a LTTP thread, but figured I should also ask here.

So I'm having trouble moving forward. I'm at the part
where you assault the alien base for the first time after getting that crystal key thing. I can make it to the part where the new stronger martian looking alien shows up but then get wasted by the dumb spider aliens who turn my crew into zombies. WTF.
Also I'm playing on Easy, so it's very frustrating. I tried just not doing that mission and just advancing by "scanning" and then another, what I'm assuming story, mission comes up where
a cut scene shows aliens attacking a major city and the spider aliens are attacking civilians and turning them into zombies.
can somebody please offer some tips for these missions? I can bring 5 people out on missions with me and I just unlocked the
laser rifle

Yeah i just got this on PS+ and am on Normal..but will have to drop down to Easy. Just got stuck on a mission without an evac zone and lost all my top guys because i couldn't abort the mission. I might just start it over.

I havent found overwatch too useful because they have about a 20% hit rate. That's not much better than their usual hit rate...anything under 70% and most the time they seem to miss.

I got up to
the floating discs that can transform
and they just destroyed me :(

TheSeks

Field Medic or Smoke and Mirrors? I'm not quite sure which one is more important since they both seem good (one extra use of medikit seems good for harder difficulties but one extra smoke grenade seems more practical for anything since it gives a aim reduction bonus to everything [including aliens!] in the smoke)...

Also should I give Floater Corpses to Africa? They requested it and I think I autopsied and researched them already with live captures of them. So it's no big deal if I give them it right?

Also how the fuck do I make money through each month? I'm constantly being tapped out and abductions are pretty rare in April it seems. :/

mercviper

Field Medic or Smoke and Mirrors? I'm not quite sure which one is more important since they both seem good (one extra use of medikit seems good for harder difficulties but one extra smoke grenade seems more practical for anything since it gives a aim reduction bonus to everything [including aliens!] in the smoke)...

Also should I give Floater Corpses to Africa? They requested it and I think I autopsied and researched them already with live captures of them. So it's no big deal if I give them it right?

Also how the fuck do I make money through each month? I'm constantly being tapped out and abductions are pretty rare in April it seems. :/

Field medic provides 2 extra uses per medkit, for a total of 3. I like it more than the extra smoke, expecially once your medkits heal for 10 a pop.

Smoke basically gives an extra low cover bonus to anybody who is inside the smoke, friend or foe, but it only lasts one turn and you can play around it by being more careful. I tend not to burn a smoke unless I get caught out of position.

The only other thing Floater corpses are used for are to make dodge bonuses for your interceptors, which you won't need unless you're below tech for the UFOs.

For income, satellites, satellites and more satellites!

Khronico

Got this with my PS+ sub, great game so far. Hit percentages seem really strange though. My sniper almost always has a 58% chance to hit, and ALWAYS hits. I have never seen him miss.

TheSeks

Field medic provides 2 extra uses per medkit, for a total of 3. I like it more than the extra smoke, expecially once your medkits heal for 10 a pop.

Smoke basically gives an extra low cover bonus to anybody who is inside the smoke, friend or foe, but it only lasts one turn and you can play around it by being more careful. I tend not to burn a smoke unless I get caught out of position.

The only other thing Floater corpses are used for are to make dodge bonuses for your interceptors, which you won't need unless you're below tech for the UFOs.

For income, satellites, satellites and more satellites!

Okay, guess I'll sell the Floaters after sending some to Africa for the X-com request and hopefully make some cash to build some satellite rooms to launch more. Once I launch them I can destroy those right?

I've been building science and engineering rooms to try to speed up the process in there and get more to use for building things.

mercviper

Okay, guess I'll sell the Floaters after sending some to Africa for the X-com request and hopefully make some cash to build some satellite rooms to launch more. Once I launch them I can destroy those right?

I've been building science and engineering rooms to try to speed up the process in there and get more to use for building things.

I've never destroyed uplinks but I doubt that destroying the uplink will let you keep the satellite in the air. You really only need engineers if anything (since the engineer requirement for uplinks go up the more you build) and tech stuff for science really speeds up once you capture things, so you really don't need more than ~10 scientists. Satellites will also grow you scientists and engineers. For my Classic Ironman playthrough I built only 1 workshop and zero laboratories.

Perkel

Banned
I play on Classic Ironman

Now for start the bad:

- Targeting in this game is completely broken from logic point of view. You can't realisticaly predict if enemy shot will be blocked by some other thing like bookshelf or wall. Same with your shots. I had to many events where i thought i was "safe and yeah shooting through walls and obstacles.
Secondly targeting % just suck. Whole thing is arbitrary as fuck. I am attacking from front 50% chance to hit, i switched position to get better shot (almost near flanking) 23%. WTF ? Same thing with weapon range. Shotguns are only that realistically manage chance to hit with distance to target. Sniper rifles are the most WTF out there especially with that line of sight perk. Shot from other side of map with 90% chance of hit ? No prob i am sniper.
- Because of this targeting system enemy uses it to create most WTF cheap shots ever seen in gaming. 3 Thin mans doing one after another in same turn 9 crit damage to my new squadmates in full cover not even realistically in line of sight ? Yeah. "X-com baby !" No, fucking broken targeting system
- Panic in your squad. I do like panic system that works well. I hate panic system where my squadmate got hit by 2 point, he panic and first thing he does is to kill VIP your are trying to protect. Point is friendly fire should be very very very rare. Loosing turn ? Yes. Shooting with terrible aim at enemy ? Yes. There is ton of other things that could be implemented and would do much better than: "I am hurt lets kill my team !". I don't mind loosing troops in some events like panic but i hate when i loose troops because "hurr durr deal with it".
- Teleporting enemies. I am alone in building on both levels with most of my crew in "overwatch" mode and then out of nowhere three enemies just pop up out of nowhere in center of first level or they show up at the end of map and they just walk whole map to UFO (where i have my team) just like that without anyone firing them. It is simple example that game cheats and death that will come because of it is literally "cheap".
- complete lack of "fail mechanic" in Classic mode. You have literally no option to fail mission in that dif mode. If you fail it means most of the time nation will drop out from X-com. Only after few months where you have good amount of satellites game is not random anymore and you can fail once or twice. Early classic mode is harder than mid to late game because it is complete lottery. If you don't invest everything is satellites early you will fail shortly.

Those are very very very problematic things from me.

The good:

- cover system and how it changes the game.
- D&D3rd edition turn system. Love it more that in D&D3rd.
- weapons, graphic, destruction, maps, fmv events, etc.
- when game is working well (proper targeting, no teleporting enemies, predictable obstacles etc) it is amazing experience. It is sooo much fun to manage your team as professional special forces including door tactics, overwatch, suppressing fire and doing other tactic things)
- perk system is amazing
- base metagame is fun when it works (allows for creativity instead of "more satellites !" )
- humor
- type of missions (especially terror ones)

Summary. Game is amazing but has deep flaws. I just hope those flaws will be fixed in next sequel and then we will have tactical game that can be really game for JA2 or Fallout Tactics fans out there.

AColdDay

Is there a save game editor where I can set individual soldiers as PSI even after PSI Testing them?

I've tested all 20 of my soldiers and I've only got 1 member with the gift.

TheContact

Wow, I got this game on the PSN+, had no idea what it was, thought it was a FPS. This game is so addicting, I've restarted about 4 times though because I keep messing up, in my first run half of the nations abandoned me because I didn't help them, but the scanning system seems random, I can't tell if rotating the world while scanning picks up different missions or not.

McNum

Wow, I got this game on the PSN+, had no idea what it was, thought it was a FPS. This game is so addicting, I've restarted about 4 times though because I keep messing up, in my first run half of the nations abandoned me because I didn't help them, but the scanning system seems random, I can't tell if rotating the world while scanning picks up different missions or not.
It doesn't.

All Scanning does it look for UFOs doing stuff in the areas you have satellites covering, or calls for help from cities getting invaded. And it fastforwards time until something happens. That's really its main purpose. Think of it more as an "End turn" button once you've built the stuff you want, started the research you need, promoted your soldiers, and so on.

To avoid having too man nations leave, you should carefully manage their Panic level. An ignored Abduction increases panic by one in the entire continent, and an additional point in the affected country. And since they come in groups of three, it will spiral out of control until you plug it with satellites. Because these are the key to victory.

Satellites do the following:
1. Increase your scanning area
2. Increase monthly funding
3. Block alien abductions in that area
4. Reduce Panic by 2 in the area when launched

Basically, you want them. But do have some air support to keep them safe, because the aliens DON'T want you to have them.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I actually wrestled with myself about making a thread on this..and I don't make threads..but this is the worst ps3 game I've ever played lol. The game itself is fine. As a strategy rpg veteran I was actually surprised how utterly basic this game is. I'm actually not sure why it's so popular..I guess because a lot of people playing it were new to the genre. But on the technical side of things..

- the framerate for such a shit looking game is god awful
- the game in general looks god awful
- cutscenes and load screens constantly bug out
- game freezes during loading occasionally
- autosave is insane and saves like every 2 minutes

I don't need a pc lecture, I get it, but man this is a sorry console port. Anyway I ran through it in about 10 hours and did fairly enjoy the game, but it's the first strat rpg I felt like I saw everything I could in the first run. I used every class, used every weapon, met every combat scenario, built every facility, etc. Upping the difficulty is fine but it's not like other games where I have a ton of unexplored options.

This doesn't really strike me as a $60 retail game..easily a $20 downloadable. God bless Plus.

ZenaxPure

As a strategy rpg veteran I was actually surprised how utterly basic this game is. I'm actually not sure why it's so popular..I guess because a lot of people playing it were new to the genre.

I am pretty sure that is indeed the reason. If you only play console games (meaning no PC or handhelds - where not many SRPGs come out anymore) it wouldn't be surprising for xcom to be the first game you played like this. I agree it's pretty basic, but, it actually is a lot of fun especially with all the base management stuff that not many other games in the genre do.

I don't need a pc lecture, I get it, but man this is a sorry console port.

I played it on PC myself and it was fine, blah blah. But yeah more to the point, I played civ rev on my 360 and it ran like garbage most of the time so it honestly doesn't surprise me xcom didn't fair any better on consoles.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I am pretty sure that is indeed the reason. If you only play console games (meaning no PC or handhelds - where not many SRPGs come out anymore) it wouldn't be surprising for xcom to be the first game you played like this. I agree it's pretty basic, but, it actually is a lot of fun especially with all the base management stuff that not many other games in the genre do.

I played it on PC myself and it was fine, blah blah. But yeah more to the point, I played civ rev on my 360 and it ran like garbage most of the time so it honestly doesn't surprise me xcom didn't fair any better on consoles.

Yeah..the tiny element of base building/management is probably what sets it apart slightly from similar games, but it really is as basic as it gets. I just wonder what got so many people to jump into a niche game in a niche genre so easily. Word of mouth I guess.

Rufus

Even on PC it's more hokey than it needed to be. It got better with patches, but there's still some residual jank left (aiming grenades and rockets with a mouse, teleporting enemies, getting shot through walls and ceilings, etc).

As far as variety and replayability: This game shines on higher difficulties (Classic and Impossible) with permadeath (Ironman) on, where you have to deal with losses and are not guaranteed to win. Luck plays a big role in creating drama and adversity, throwing a wrench in your tactical and strategical decisionmaking. It's not trying to compete with SRPGs on the whole party building, character growth side of things. It's about defying the odds and calling bullshit on that Thin Men one-shotting half your team from across the map and the limping/powering through that regardless.

I'm an expert

No bullshit, I ran with one support all game and never once revived a single member. I lost like 13 dudes in the run..just kept on trucking. Plus most of my guys usually just died instead of getting knocked out, even with the upgrade. Luck and rolls is a part of all these games..but I'll agree this game makes you feel it more than most.

ZenaxPure

I just wonder what got so many people to jump into a niche game in a niche genre so easily. Word of mouth I guess.

Well loved series from the youth of many modern gaming journalists. Take a look at Giantbomb for example, Ryan doesn't play other SRPGs pretty much at all but he was cumming his pants over this game (since he enjoyed it when he was younger) which made it get a lot of traction with their own fan base.

You would probably see something very similar happen again if there was a new Final Fantasy Tactics on consoles, regardless of the quality of the game itself, just like this.

Short version of it: nostalgia + a place on the internet to unload that nostalgia unto others.

I'm an expert

Pretty sure Ryan and them admitted they never even got past the first level in the original. I think they knew from having played it so much before it released that this one was more manageable. Still, it's funny to me that they did all enjoy the game but they don't really seem to like the genre. Patrick playing Fire Emblem is the only real progress, and I can't help but think dude put off such a classic series for decades until fuggin 2012 Xcom lol.

Top Bottom