• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I can only choose between this or dishonored during the coming couple of weeks...

I chose X-com. Hope I picked right <3

red731

Nice OT!

I know this isn't some bregging thread, but does anyone has any GMG code or anything to lower the price?
I want to jump in, but at this time, this would be the game I would pay in full in a very long time. (STEAM, STEAM sales,...)

edit: and this isn't my usual type of game tbh, but I've enjoyed the demo very much.

Nocebo

What does ironman mode entail?
Only one save that gets overwritten automatically via autosave. So if you mess up a play you will most likely not be able to go back to a point where you can turn it around. The save is basically only there to continue from where you left off if you quit the game.

Edit: I have to say I never did this in the originals and always had several saves during a mission so they mostly went perfectly. Always loading a save a few turns prior to when a soldier died for instance. However I'm excited to do the ironman because it makes the game so much more scary. No more safety lines so you have to be on point every time.

Dakota47

Only one save that gets overwritten automatically via autosave. So if you mess up a play you will most likely not be able to go back to a point where you can turn it around. The save is basically only there to continue from where you left off if you quit the game.

Edit: I have to say I never did this in the originals and always had several saves during a mission so they mostly went perfectly. Always loading a save a few turns prior to when a soldier died for instance. However I'm excited to do the ironman because it makes the game so much more scary. No more safety lines so you have to be on point every time.

Pretty much this. I don't know if I have the balls to do it on my first run through XCOM:EU. It's been ages since I last played a tbs game like this and I want t get a little comfortable with it first.

Dakota47

Great OT!
12th... as if the usual two day wait is not enough.

Looked on Steam because of your post and according to the countdown timer the game will unlock in one week, one day and 22 hours, so Thursday morning. I thought it would unlock on Friday. I am not complaining but did this change recently?

Nice OT!

I know this isn't some bregging thread, but does anyone has any GMG code or anything to lower the price?
I want to jump in, but at this time, this would be the game I would pay in full in a very long time. (STEAM, STEAM sales,...)

edit: and this isn't my usual type of game tbh, but I've enjoyed the demo very much.
GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN

25% off, takes it to $33.75 which is pretty damn good. Valid until the 8th.

Mafro

I'm in Europe so I'll be unlocking this early via VPN. Fed up of the 2-3 day delays from the US versions.

Also, I haven't played the demo yet (didn't bother downloading it due to the size) and was wondering what exactly it was that was wrong with the keyboard & mouse controls?

red731

GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN

25% off, takes it to $33.75 which is pretty damn good. Valid until the 8th.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou
Better price than boxed copy with the cost of delivery by post!

ed: Also second purchase on GMG. It's really easy for those who are not trusting it and anything.

Corky

You just have one save file and the game saves automatically after every unit action.

Oh I see, I was under the impression that Classic mode was the difficulty mode where you only had one save file.

Also, the newest Three Moves Ahead podcast is out and they talk about X-com :)!

EPISODE 188:
We Will Be Watching, Commander
October 2, 2012 Bruce and Rob welcome Jake Solomon, lead designer of Firaxis' new XCOM, and interrogate him mercilessly. Jake explains his design choices and the trade-offs he faced in adapting and updating X-Com.

Ironman doesn't bother me as a first time player so much as the actual difficulty ... not sure I'm man enough to go into the game blind and then on top of that on hardest.

I shall consider this.

Jintor

Gonna love seeing some of the guys jumping in on iron man mode the first time being like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT" --> entire squad dead

Corky

Gonna love seeing some of the guys jumping in on iron man mode the first time being like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT" --> entire squad dead

Are classic mode and ironman separate entities or is the difficulty called Classic Ironman?

kurahador

I'd like to keep my sanity intact, tqvm.

First time playing XCOM, so it's going to be Normal for me.

Corky

They are separate. You can have Ironman enabled on any difficulty.

Cool thanks :)!

Oh god I'm genuinely hyped now, game is preordered but still 10 days left! Watching the videos in the OP while having this huge grin on my face, it's been such a long time since I had this childlike hype for a game and it's making me so happy that I haven't lost my passion and will to play videogames.

Now I just hope it holds up haha ;|

Corky

Will I still get the pre-order stuff if I bought my game from someplace other than Steam? All I gotta do is redeem my copy on steam ( since it's steamworks ) on release day or something?

Corky

The Elite Soldier pack you can get anywhere, but not the TF2 items and Civ V

Yaaay so everyone gets the Soldier Pack regardless of where they bought their copy (?), luckily I have Civ 5 ( love that game aswell ) and don't care about TF2 items.

Man I kinda wonder if I should install X-com : ufo defence...

overburning

Neo Member
Looked on Steam because of your post and according to the countdown timer the game will unlock in one week, one day and 22 hours, so Thursday morning. I thought it would unlock on Friday. I am not complaining but did this change recently?

I'm not sure since I pre-ordered retail, but god noooo is retail a day late?

Never played the original and up until a couple of days ago had no clue what this was, but now I am hyped and ready for this!

the only thing about this game was the cover, and now its fixed!

get your altcovers:

xcom_ps3_logo1.jpg
xcom_ps3_retro1.jpg
xcom_ps3_retro2.jpg

PC Logo
PC Retro 1
PC Retro 2

360 Logo
360 Retro 1
360 Retro 2

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou
Better price than boxed copy with the cost of delivery by post!

ed: Also second purchase on GMG. It's really easy for those who are not trusting it and anything.

Yep I pre-ordered from them too via that coupon :)

I only buy games from GMG that I can redeem on Steam. It took me (and several others from Australia) four thousand decades trying to download a Capsule title from them last time and their support and care-factor were non-existent.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Tried the demo, stopped playing halfway through the second mission.

Because it's so damn good I wanna enjoy the full version later!
Can't wait to find time for this!

Remmy2112

So I had this preordered, but I figured it was time to finally give the original UFO Defense a try.

My first mission: seven kills (all outside the UFO), and four dead. Two died from random shots out of the darkness as XCOM units are wont to do, but the other two died from me being an idiot and not noticing the door to the UFO, so the Chrysalid popped out and capped 'em both.

Hopefully you mean Sectoid. X-Com throwing Chrysalids at you from the start would make for a far, far more brutal game. Hide under the desk and never approach again brutal.

Love the OT and love to see the game following its roots.

Won't pick it up day one with so many games coming out and so little time, but will assuredly pick the controller-enabled Steam version up at some point after Halo 4. It looks brilliant.

Corky

hmm the gmg voucher wasn't valid...

"GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN "

edit : scratch that, I messed up

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Really looking forward to this. I even want to spend £10 extra for the edition with the patch when I have nothing to sew it on.

Okay.

So my first squad of this week is:

Brody Dudebro
Jimmy Gibbs, Jr.
Faz O'Lee
Jin Tor

I have, however, locked in my Halloween Squad:

Drew Daywalt
Steve King
Annie Rice
Chris Pike

Have they confirmed DLC for this?

There most likely will be. It's sad that DLC has become the 'No Buy' point of video games.

Top Bottom