• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Jintor

I just honestly don't understand what people have against cover. In pure game mechanics turn it's direction-orientated defence boosting, which allows for strategic worth of locations but only in certain directions, which means a great emphasis on moving to positions that allow for greater offence but hopefully from behind cover. It's fantastic for keeping battles active and engaged, especially when combined with overwatch, suppressing fire, grenades etc.

And it's not like it's 100% protection even.

Derrick01

Banned
My point is not even that the complaints are necessarily invalid, I just think they are overly idealistic. Maybe it's just pessimism but I don't think any big budget game released today is going to be as mechanically complex (and at times archaic, although I admit there is a distinction to be made there) as something like the original Deus Ex or XCOM. However, I think Deus Ex: HR was still enjoyably complex in its own right, and I expect the same out of XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Also, I haven't played the original Deus Ex or the original XCOM, which is why I added the "personally" to the last part of my comment. My point is that for me personally it doesn't matter if the new DE or XCOM isn't as complex as the original, I just want to look at the game for what it is outside of any preconceived notions about what it should be. If you are a huge fan of the original Deus Ex or XCOM then I can understand why you would feel differently, though.

Quite frankly I'm just incredibly excited that a game like this is being made with this kind of budget in the year 2012.

Yeah I don't worry too much about these games being better than the originals. I know in most cases it's physically impossible for it to happen in today's toxic game industry and desperate race to grab the most casuals that simply did not exist 10+ years ago. As long as it's not something so bad and shameful like the new Syndicate, and the game sticks to its roots for the most part then I'll probably enjoy it.

Goddamn that Instinct mode!

Thank god they made that optional it would have been game ruining. A single button press that shows you where everything and everyone is without taking you out of the action as a penalty is an all time horrendous idea. At least with the old map system you had to memorize the layout and account for people moving around unless you wanted to stop and look at the map every other step.

The argument about cover was dumb though. The person is complaining about something that was actually in the old game. It made no sense!

This argument doesn't make ANY sense. Shadow Wars design is totally different from X-COM, as it is a "predictable" kind of combat and meant to be very agile because its a game for a mobile platform.
You don't think it's smart game design to have a trained soldier automatically duck behind a wall he's already standing near when under enemy fire? OK.

They're both turn based strategy games, I don't really see how one happening to be on a portable system changes a whole lot. Missions in Shadow Wars can last as long as missions in X-Com (the original, I haven't played this one) did. Also not sure what you mean by 'predictable' combat.

4 - 6 soldier squads? Back in my day, we could fill an avenger with 20 soldiers! And then spend an extra 30 minutes at the end of each map to manually move each one just to find that last alien! AND WE LIKED IT.

I can't believe they actually show your soldier stats while you're equipping him! Back in my day, we had to REMEMBER our soldier stats while equipping them before a mission! AND WE LIKED IT.

And whats this about line of site? Back in my day, if we wanted to get a 360 fov around our soldier, we had to manually rotate him 3 times. AND WE LIKED IT.

Have fun with your Fisher Price XCOM set.
Haha

DTKT

So, I just played the demo and while I liked what I saw, I'm a bit underwhelmed. Does it get more complex? Is there a bit a depth later on? I mean, from what I saw, even the upgrades are just stats boosts.

Maybe the demo is just giving me the wrong impression. :|
I'll wait for some reviews before buying.

Jintor

So, I just played the demo and while I liked what I saw, I'm a bit underwhelmed. Does it get more complex? Is there a bit a depth later on? I mean, from what I saw, even the upgrades are just stats boosts.

Maybe the demo is just giving me the wrong impression. :|
I'll wait for some reviews before buying.

Yeah, it's a scripted tutorial mission and it's also locked to easy.

And the metagame is a pretty large part of XCOM, so without like a few hours to really get into it you've only got about half the game in your hands...

Just tried the demo, is it seriously only 2 missions?! And the first is heavily scripted too! Real excited for the game though! Is there any way to guarantee you capture alien corpses? In the second mission the first pair of aliens you meet linked themselves psychically, so somehow when I killed one both died. The flying aliens I shot down individually, and I just used a grenade to blow up the thin men. The only corpses the I salvaged were of the first pair.
Mind merge and yeah, that's what is meant to happen. It's a powerful ability in MP but dangerous, as you can lose two units in one strike.

As an aside, people should check out Jagged Alliance 2 if they're getting into the TBS genre. It is my favourite game of all time, the characters are memorable, gameplay enjoyable etc. Stay away from the remake though, it missed the mark imo.

Vagabundo

4 - 6 soldier squads? Back in my day, we could fill an avenger with 20 soldiers! And then spend an extra 30 minutes at the end of each map to manually move each one just to find that last alien! AND WE LIKED IT.

I can't believe they actually show your soldier stats while you're equipping him! Back in my day, we had to REMEMBER our soldier stats while equipping them before a mission! AND WE LIKED IT.

And whats this about line of site? Back in my day, if we wanted to get a 360 fov around our soldier, we had to manually rotate him 3 times. AND WE LIKED IT.

Bah. Back in my day we played Laser Squad:

o8.jpg

And we liked it.

robin2

I don't know honestly. I was never a huge Xcom fan so I can't tell you what's vastly different between the two. I just know that "GODDAMN COVER ARRRGGHHHH" is a bad example.
The 3 moves ahead podcast explains well the problem.

The new system makes the "under cover" position the only tactical valid position. With the terrain subdivided in a "binary" way, between valid tactical spaces (under cover) and invalid tactical spaces (in the open).

The original system allows both positions (under cover and in the open) to be tactically valid.

So the original system is more organic, offering more option to the player and not needing the map design to be tailored around it (which makes the map design contrived), since wide open spaces are still viable . So in conclusion, the original is a better system. NOT perfect buy undoubtedly better.

If I examine like this all the other major systems, the result is the same.

Also not sure what you mean by 'predictable' combat.
A combat where the results are predictable, like Advance Wars (or Shadow Wars itself).
X-COM classic system's results are very unpredictable, and they needs to be to build the tension.
They're very different designs, the challenge is not the same so it isn't the way you play them.

JoeBoy101

Can we quit acting like there isn't anything that couldn't be improved upon in the original XCOM?

I appreciate the concerns over consolitis, but bitching about a cover system which is essentially the same as the first one, but with more information readily available is just silly.

The new system makes the "under cover" position the only tactical valid position. With the terrain subdivided in a "binary" way, between valid tactical spaces (under cover) and invalid tactical spaces (in the open).

The original system allows both positions (under cover and in the open) to be tactically valid.

So the original system is more organic, offering more option to the player and not needing the map design to be tailored around it (which makes the map design contrived), since wide open spaces are still viable . So in conclusion, the original is a better system. NOT perfect buy undoubtedly better.

Have you played Enemy Unknown?

Remmy2112

Apologies if it has been answered before but does the SHIV, or whatever the replacement heavy weapons platform is called, take up one of the 4-6 soldier slots per mission or is it 4-6 soldiers+1 HWP?

I think you've missed the point of that discussion. The point is that the old games tactics system doesn't make the distinction among being in cover or out in the open, whereas the new game does. You can place a soldier out in the open, but there's a higher risk/reward factor for doing so and there are soldier abilities that can mitigate the risk of being in the open, such as run and gun - or even dashing (which gives you defensive bonus on reaction fire). The original is just pieces on a game board, your soldier behaves the same no matter if there's geometry next to him or 6 tiles away. The new one takes into account geometry next to you and applies defensive/offensive stat changes, which puts a greater emphasis on using the map and hence MORE tactical.

Mupod

I just honestly don't understand what people have against cover. In pure game mechanics turn it's direction-orientated defence boosting, which allows for strategic worth of locations but only in certain directions, which means a great emphasis on moving to positions that allow for greater offence but hopefully from behind cover. It's fantastic for keeping battles active and engaged, especially when combined with overwatch, suppressing fire, grenades etc.

And it's not like it's 100% protection even.

I don't get the complaining either. Just seems like bitching about something different just because it's different, or nonsensical backlash because of all the third person cover shooters that are so popular lately. I bet the original would've allowed you to shoot from cover too if not for technical limitations.

Actually long before this was announced I was hoping that a current-gen reimagining of X-COM would have some kind of cover system similar to what we got. It was one of the very first things I looked for when this game was revealed. I wish I could find the posts I made 'cause I'd look like freaking nostradamus, but not every forum I use archives stuff as nicely as neogaf. So uh, take my word for it. Although really, having played some of Relic's RTS games and seeing how their cover systems work it's kind of a no brainer that they'd go this route.

Having to move your soldiers step by step out from behind a wall, take a shot, then move them back in wouldn't even work without AP anyways, although personally I think that cover would have worked well with AP too. Instead of automatically doing it just spend AP like you would to crouch, which would have your soldier take a position in cover.

I think they could take it even further in a sequel...allowing blindfire would be interesting, maybe even have psionic soldiers be able to shoot at things without coming out of cover to look at them. Damn that would be cool.

robin2

I think you've missed the point of that discussion. The point is that the old games tactics system doesn't make the distinction among being in cover or out in the open, whereas the new game does. You can place a soldier out in the open, but there's a higher risk/reward factor for doing so and there are soldier abilities that can mitigate the risk of being in the open, such as run and gun - or even dashing (which gives you defensive bonus on reaction fire). The original is just pieces on a game board, your soldier behaves the same no matter if there's geometry next to him or 6 tiles away. The new one takes into account geometry next to you and applies defensive/offensive stat changes, which puts a greater emphasis on using the map and hence MORE tactical.
It's like I listened to another podcast.

They say stuff like "the open spaces are irrelevant" or "here if you force the soldier into an open field they'll get destroyed". The lead designer also says that the open space is a "dead area where the AI doesn't go there".

What was "viable" about being in the open in the first game? You were just a giant target. The best you could do is "crouch" for some measure of defense. There was nothing tactical about open spaces in the first game besides running in a straight line from point A to point B. How is that different? Instead of putting my guys on the wall by the side of a building, I have actual hardpoints I can hunker down too???

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

They say stuff like "the open spaces are irrelevant" or "here if you force the soldier into an open field they'll get destroyed". The lead designer also says that the open space is a "dead area where the AI doesn't go there".

Are you suggesting that an enemy AI that doesn't stick it's own guys in the open is a bad thing? Do you like stupidly easy games or something?

again, you're completely missing the point. the whole point is that the games makes the distinction among open spaces and cover, and the AI is smart enough to acknowledge that. I don't get why you think cover that has tangible effects and smart AI is a bad thing. This is a DIFFERENT tactical model with a different set of rules and balances - get over it. IF you just want the original, there it is - GO PLAY IT.

robin2

This is a DIFFERENT tactical model with a different set of rules and balances - get over it. IF you just want the original, there it is - GO PLAY IT.
Yes it is different, and I explained why the mandatory cover mechanic, among the other things, is worse than what the original did. There's no need to get angry.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yes it is different, and I explained why the mandatory cover mechanic, among the other things, is worse than what the original did. There's no need to get angry.

Is chess a better game on a 8x8 grid or a 800x800 grid?

It's not like there's 3 spots you can find cover and that's it. Going by the demo, there is cover everywhere. It does not seem like the number of possible choices you can come up with are reduced to numbers where tactics are no longer important.

Grimsen

Excellent. :D

I remember on a playthrough of UFO all my characters where basically Jean Dumeumeu STR/REA/ACC and shit so that I could remember their stats in the equipping screen. So lame.
I thought I was being clever though.

again, you're completely missing the point. the whole point is that the games makes the distinction among open spaces and cover, and the AI is smart enough to acknowledge that. I don't get why you think cover that has tangible effects and smart AI is a bad thing. This is a DIFFERENT tactical model with a different set of rules and balances - get over it. IF you just want the original, there it is - GO PLAY IT.

Amen.

It doesn't sound mandatory to me and it doesn't sound worse. But you're welcome to your (bad) opinion.

This thread is Civ 4 vs. Civ 5 all over again and the game isn't even out yet. -_-

Sacred cows make the best steaks. You can't modernize a franchise that is 20-years mothballed without huge changes that a vocal minority of the fan base will hate you for. Heck, look at Diablo III for a good example of a petulant response from a narrow portion of its fanbase, and that was only one decade removed.

By valid, you mean "eating plasma to the face", right? The only ones that were ever out in the open past the first few hours of play were either on the "Last Alien Stuck On a Pathing Loop Hunt" (which sucked) or the rookies you were using for cannon fodder since you had infinite disposable cannon fodder to act as spotters for your trained snipers. Your "complaint" is actually a XCOM case of a fallacy of false choice, anyone of value was always behind (usually multiple) paths of cover.

legbone

man, i really wish they would get the live demo up. i'm dying to play this and it looks like i'll have the game before the demo comes out since i preordered. oh well. and before anyone suggests the pc demo, there's no way my computer or netbook will push it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Haha great OT! Love the writing style.

I would have totally pre-ordered this game if I wasn't getting RE6; I loved the heck out of the original XCOM back in the day. Will probably pick this up over Black Friday for some fun alien-smoking action!

man, i really wish they would get the live demo up. i'm dying to play this and it looks like i'll have the game before the demo comes out since i preordered. oh well. and before anyone suggests the pc demo, there's no way my computer or netbook will push it.

Did they say there'd be one? I don't remember.

I don't think I'd even play it to be honest, I'm ready to go in fresh.

robin2

By valid, you mean "eating plasma to the face", right? The only ones that were ever out in the open past the first few hours of play were either on the "Last Alien Stuck On a Pathing Loop Hunt" (which sucked) or the rookies you were using for cannon fodder since you had infinite disposable cannon fodder to act as spotters for your trained snipers. Your "complaint" is actually a XCOM case of a fallacy of false choice, anyone of value was always behind (usually multiple) paths of cover.
A lot of maps contained open spaces, so you were in the open every time you needed to traverse them, because usually you couldn't do it in one turn. It was more dangerous of course, but the system didn't have the need to have all those open spaces filled with cover-granting objects as the new one does.

A lot of maps contained open spaces, so you were in the open every time you needed to traverse them, because usually you couldn't do it in one turn. It was more dangerous of course, but the system didn't have the need to have all those open spaces filled with cover-granting objects as the new one does.
I find it hard to believe that there are no maps with open spaces in this game, and that you'll never have to make the tactical choice to leave cover.

pahamrick

I find it hard to believe that there are no maps with open spaces in this game, and that you'll never have to make the tactical choice to leave cover.

Doesn't the fact that pretty much all cover is destructible factor in as well? When I cranked the demo up to classic using the demo editor, I had a heck of a time staying in any kind of cover because it was constantly being destroyed by one alien, then my soldier would get killed by the next.

Diablo 3 is merely one illustration out of many -my point was one more of 'when you change popular old games in any way, no matter what there is a chunk of the community fanbase that is completely orthodox to the previous way of doing things'.

Again, this was addressed past the early game with rookie cannon fodder and to a lesser extent HWPs. They did all the nasty scouting and your snipers were behind trees and bushes the whole way. You also make XCOM:UFO Defense maps seem larger than they actually were, which wasn't the case, and the big "open" maps always had sufficient hills, buildings, or fences/shrubs/orchards for cover.

Doesn't the fact that pretty much all cover is destructible factor in as well? When I cranked the demo up to classic using the demo editor, I had a heck of a time staying in any kind of cover because it was constantly being destroyed by one alien, then my soldier would get killed by the next.
The original XCOM didn't have destructible cover, therefore it was superior.

Mupod

Heh, even in that OXM playthrough on youtube something like this happened. He had a sniper caught out of cover because it had been destroyed by a plasma shot, he had to choose whether to shoot an alien or move back into cover. He chose the former - got the alien, but lost his soldier as well. Whether he would have lost him anyways by leaving that alien alive is the question, but it was a choice he had to make.

Diablo 3 is merely one illustration out of many -my point was one more of 'when you change popular old games in any way, no matter what there is a chunk of the community fanbase that is completely orthodox to the previous way of doing things'.

Should've used a specific example, like someone who complained about...I dunno, the removal of light radius as a stat in favor of things like gold pickup range.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sacred cows make the best steaks. You can't modernize a franchise that is 20-years mothballed without huge changes that a vocal minority of the fan base will hate you for. Heck, look at Diablo III for a good example of a petulant response from a narrow portion of its fanbase, and that was only one decade removed.
The dev team dropped the ball with Diablo III, though, now that I've played it inside and out. XCOM appears to be more faithful to the original concepts which gave the first game such appeal, while simultaneously making it accessible to a modern audience.

Diablo III sacrificed too much of what made the franchise good in the first place on the altar of accessibility. Fortunately, those two concepts are not mutually exclusive, as XCOM will probably (I hope) show us.

Who have I sided with here.

Bwahahahaha :)

Uthred

I loved that stuff in the original. It was search and destroy. It made it much more strategic. It was like the difference between a 1 front war and a 2 or 3 or 4 front one where you are surrounded. Its the corridorification effect. Not even stratagy games are safe. less suspense is terrible.

Even if all the levels were more "corridor" based, which they clearly arent - as someone who actually has the game has confirmed as opposed to the speculation by this threads amateur psychics - that in no way inherently affects how tense the game would be.

how hard will this game be, and also from watching old playthroughs of the original. Will i be sending waves and waves of rookies at the aliens while my veterans sit in the plane until everything is cleared.

McNum

how hard will this game be, and also from watching old playthroughs of the original. Will i be sending waves and waves of rookies at the aliens while my veterans sit in the plane until everything is cleared.
There are several difficulties, Classic will probably be about as hard as the original, if the previews are to be believed. Normal is slightly easier, some might say "fair". Easy is fairly easy. And finally Impossible which is relentless and cruel.

And, of course, the option of running the game Ironman style. One save file, autosave on.

You won't have anyone sitting in the Skyranger in this game, though. Everyone gets off before the mission starts.

There are mulitple difficulties and an "ironman" game state modifier where the game manages one save file (no takebacks if a mission goes bad). I believe there are four or five total difficulty choices total (Normal, Classic (think very hard), and Impossible being the confirmed ones).

And squad sizes are smaller now so the stuff you could do with the rookies in the original will absolutely not work. You need all your people out there to minimize causalities and ensure the mission success.

Top Bottom