• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

red731

badge.png

Great read about new XCOM motto, Vigilo Confido and its meaning.

Jintor

I'm going to wait for more tales of woe before making my final decision, but Cpt. McNum's advice is fairly compelling at the moment.

Personally my translation is "Have confidence in vigilance"

Keikaku

Welp, looks like I'm restarting Classic Ironman. I lasted exactly 1 month and 5 days.

I just had 2 Alien abduction missions in a row where my entire squad got wiped. The first was expected since all my veterans (and by all, I mean 2) were recovering from their wounds. 4 rookies were sent to Japan to do their best against the attack. All 4 died in return for 4 dead Sectoids. The mission was rated as "Hard" and had 5 bars. I was not expecting to win but 1:1 was acceptable for rookies, in my mind.

The next was in Egypt and I was told that this would be a "Moderate" level mission. 5 turns in and my 2 veterans (1 Sniper/1 Assault) and both of the rookies were dead in exchange for 1 out of 6 of the Thin Men.

XBbST.jpg

Sanctuary

No manual is extremely disappointing. How am I supposed to know what any of the satellite bonuses like "Future Combat" or "Expert Knowledge" do exactly when the game gives no tooltip information on it? Some of the combat skills you can select are also not very intuitive and you pretty much have to make an educated guess on what exactly they do.

Nocebo

Fuck that?! This is why you play Classic Ironman :V

You share the hilarious tales of woe with the rest of us.

Use the roguelike approach: It's not if you win, it's how awesome you fail.
Exactly. To me XCom is about the experience, the strategic combat, not the end game.

Jintor

I don't know what the button is on computer, but you can click in the left stick to get detailed information and whatnot

besides, i'm sure ufopaedia will have all the info

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I hope all you jerk-stores are happy with your damn game :(

*grumbles something about unjust releasedates*

Jintor

Anybody know if you can use both controllers and mouse at the same time? If I want to use a controller, can I still use my keyboard to type names and stuff

red731

Anybody know if you can use both controllers and mouse at the same time? If I want to use a controller, can I still use my keyboard to type names and stuff

In the demo, I played with a controller and could't seem to find a way to type the name with it, so I took keyboard and voila.

Don't know about mouse(ingame), but x360 gamepad + keyboard to rename worked.

McNum

I'm going to wait for more tales of woe before making my final decision, but Cpt. McNum's advice is fairly compelling at the moment.

Personally my translation is "Have confidence in vigilance"
The thing to remember in doing a Let's Play is that you're recording a game. Now there are things to be said about those that are pretty much just an archived livestream, but since you're writer, cameraman and director all in one, why not do some editing? Part of that is making absolutely sure that you can roll back and redo something, both so you get it right dramatically, and in case you simply missed something important.

When I did the LP of the original, I actually won the final mission several times using Blaster Bombs, but I reloaded every time because the end sequence called for a Heavy Plasma, so that's what I had to get right. I was meaning to do the outtakes, but I never got around to it. (Spoilered in case we see something similar in this one.)
One is a pile of Etherals and a completely obliterated alien brain.
Victory, yes, but wrong victory. So, reload and try again, with style.

graywolf323

yeah... they just introduced the Chrysallids in my game

I'm gonna call it a night

those bastards can wait until daylight hours >_>

The thing to remember in doing a Let's Play is that you're recording a game. Now there are things to be said about those that are pretty much just an archived livestream, but since you're writer, cameraman and director all in one, why not do some editing? Part of that is making absolutely sure that you can roll back and redo something, both so you get it right dramatically, and in case you simply missed something important.

When I did the LP of the original, I actually won the final mission several times using Blaster Bombs, but I reloaded every time because the end sequence called for a Heavy Plasma, so that's what I had to get right. I was meaning to do the outtakes, but I never got around to it. (Spoilered in case we see something similar in this one.)
One is a pile of Etherals and a completely obliterated alien brain.
Victory, yes, but wrong victory. So, reload and try again, with style.
XCom is a game where every playthrough tells its own story. Forcing your own on it cheapens the experience IMO.

I'd rather get an LP where everyone dies horribly forever on the second mission than one where saves are loaded and reloaded because "the end sequence called for it."

Jintor

XCom is a game where every playthrough tells its own story. Forcing your own on it cheapens the experience IMO.

I'd rather get an LP where everyone dies horribly forever on the second mission than one where saves are loaded and reloaded because "the end sequence called for it."

This is true, but at the same time, I really don't want to have 20 pages of buildup but everybody gets killed in the second mission

red731

So is it possible to play it today if im in the UK via vpn or something?

I am planing on doing that.
Download Spotflux, close Steam, run Spotflux, start Steam, start game, exit game, go into offline mode, close steam, close Spotflux, run Steam in offline mode.

(Be warned, I just typed it as I will do it since this will be the first time - someone correct me if I am wrong)

Corky

What is the reason for the 3-day gap in US&UK release dates?

Old american grudges from the revolutionary war...

No but honestly I'm sure it's due to some localization and logistics schedule while trying to keep the brick and mortar stores happy.

I think the problem I'm having is that the game likes to get you into a hole and not let you out. I screwed up by doing a too hard mission and ending up going against dudes who one-shot both my high rank guys and failed the mission.

And of course, failing the mission means other stuff starts going wrong, and then I have to use a lot more rookies in harder quests. etc etc etc---it just snowballed on me and it's kind of frustrating.

I guess it's the nature of the beast, though. I'm legendarily bad at games though, so I'm not sure why I thought this would be a good idea for me other than the fact that I liked the demo.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Currently on Normal Ironman, lost 2 squaddies so far and a few hours in, the difficult curve just got a lot more tough with Chrysallids. They are totally right about resource management, can't build everything I want and need to compromise.

The power of Overwatch is amazing, wait for them to come to you. I'm avoiding the use of explosives at all costs, it just doesn't pay off long-term.

Really loving the game, I get a huge grin on my face when I complete a mission with most of my squad in-tact. I think once I get a better grasp on what is going on, I shall jump into Classic Ironman.

Please add us on GAFCOM:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/d1g1talr0n1n

This is true, but at the same time, I really don't want to have 20 pages of buildup but everybody gets killed in the second mission
True. If you're only reloading for catastrophic failures, then I think that's okay. Then again, starting a new game while keeping it tied to the lost game could work, too.

McNum

Most of the awesome moments come out of the game as it is. And reloading should be done with care as to not ruin it. But the recording takes precedence when you're doing an LP. Which is why the official Ironman mode can be a problem. Technical errors happen, so the ability to roll back may become needed, not so much due to failing a mission, but because the tech failed. Which is just as likely to happen on a team wipe as it is on a perfect mission.

The fun in writing an LP for a game like XCOM is all the mad and random things that happen. It's up to you to make a coherent story out of that. A wipe or near-wipe is not a bad thing for the story at all.

inky

I'm just playing on normal for the time being. Finished up what I think are the tutorial missions and I lost 1 soldier per mission, except for the last one. Those ambushes get messy really fast. On the bright side, the soldier from the tutorial mission is now my Sergeant, nickname "Tectonic", and my first Corporal (assault class) dons the Guile hair quite fashionably. It's cool to be able to customize your soldiers, now I just need to figure out a palette for each rank/class to give to my squad.

I want to keep playing, but I also want to sleep! This game is so good.

Darkwater

I am planing on doing that.
Download Spotflux, close Steam, run Spotflux, start Steam, start game, exit game, go into offline mode, close steam, close Spotflux, run Steam in offline mode.

(Be warned, I just typed it as I will do it since this will be the first time - someone correct me if I am wrong)

Did it this morning. Works 100%.

Corky

RE: Spotflux.

Do you have to enter US proxy details or is it US by default after installation?

I believe it's US by default, all I know is I didn't even get to change anything when I ran it for Borderlands2

Fumoffu

Neo Member
RE: Spotflux.

Do you have to enter US proxy details or is it US by default after installation?

I believe it uses various US based IP addresses. Just install it, boot it and and let it connect till "Secure Connection" is shown and you should be good.

Beepos

Sorry if this has been answered, but if I try the demo can I unlock the full game with a key from there or do I need to redownload what I already have?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What do you skip when you choose to skip tutorial anyway? The skip warning dialog makes it sound like you don't get any tutorials or story cutscenes at all. I just captured the energy alien which seems a decent way into the game, but I feel like there maybe a couple things left to be unlocked and tutorialized.

I can already see things going out of hand on my regular old classic mode game and think maybe I should restart with a better idea of what to research and to plan around using the connected bonus when building my base which i didn't even know existed at first. Losing two men basically every mission probably didn't help either.

Jintor

What do you skip when you choose to skip tutorial anyway? The skip warning dialog makes it sound like you don't get any tutorials or story cutscenes at all. I just captured the energy alien which seems a decent way into the game, but I feel like there maybe a couple things left to be unlocked and tutorialized.

I can already see things going out of hand on my regular old classic mode game and think maybe I should restart with a better idea of what to research and to plan around using the connected bonus when building my base which i didn't even know existed at first. Losing two men basically every mission probably didn't help either.

if you're still getting cutscenes (did you get the crystal unloading scene?) then story is still out there

masterkajo

Wow... first mission on classic ironman went smooth. Lost one man but got 3 rookies promoted. Next mission, one gets critically wounded by a mind-merged sectoid -> the one next to him panicks and shoots the third one right in the face. Result, down to one panicked soldier... WTF?

Corky

VPN that shit, dude. No reason to miss out on the party.

My problem lies with me not having my steam-key yet because I was a stupid asshole and ordered from a place I shouldn't have... should've went GmG but yeah.

So now I'm stuck waiting for the 11th until I can get my game.

Top Bottom