• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh.... Is this some kind of software mouse? Mouse emulation? Mouse acceleration?

I just booted it up for the first time and the mouse feels sluggish and weird. Help!

Protein

Banned
Hit the motherload of meathead names

Slab Bulkhead
Fridge Largemeat
Punt Speedchunk
Butch Deadlift
Bold Bigflank

Splint Chesthair
Flint Ironstag
Bolt Vanderhuge
Thick McRunfast
Blast Hardcheese

Buff Drinklots
Trunk Slamchest
Fist Rockbone
Stump Beefgnaw
Smash Lampjaw

Punch Rockgroin
Buck Plankchest
Stump Chunkman
Dirk Hardpeck
Rip Steakface

Slate Slabrock
Crud Bonemeal
Brick Hardmeat
Rip Slagcheek
Punch Sideiron

Gristle McThornBody
Slake Fistcrunch
Buff Hardback
Bob Johnson
Blast Thickneck

Crunch Buttsteak
Slab Squatthrust
Lump Beefrock
Touch Rustrod
Reef Blastbody

Big McLargeHuge
Smoke Manmuscle
Beat Punchbeef
Pack Blowfist
Roll Fizzlebeef

Slab Bulkhead
Fridge Largemeat
Punt Speedchunk
Butch Deadlift
Bold Bigflank

Splint Chesthair
Flint Ironstag
Bolt Vanderhuge
Thick McRunfast
Blast Hardcheese

Buff Drinklots
Trunk Slamchest
Fist Rockbone
Stump Beefgnaw
Smash Lampjaw

Punch Rockgroin
Buck Plankchest
Stump Chunkman
Dirk Hardpeck
Rip Steakface

Slate Slabrock
Crud Bonemeal
Brick Hardmeat
Rip Slagcheek
Punch Sideiron

Gristle McThornBody
Slake Fistcrunch
Buff Hardback
Bob Johnson
Blast Thickneck

Crunch Buttsteak
Slab Squatthrust
Lump Beefrock
Touch Rustrod
Reef Blastbody

Big McLargeHuge
Smoke Manmuscle
Beat Punchbeef
Pack Blowfist
Roll Fizzlebeef

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

Unicorn

Missed the preorder bonuses, so I'll wait for the Fall sale and hope that soldier customizing DLC is available then too.

I want to play Classic Ironman so bad and suffer with all of you.

Really, really looking forward to GAF impressions in the coming days and through the week. Hoping for glowing remarks followed by swift backlash, in true internet form.
KuGsj.gif

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I don't understand how this bug can be missed: Remapping keys doesn't stick! Ugh. I hope they release a quick patch to address this.

K.Sabot

Well, the choice was easy.

I got Dishonored, why?

Because the 2 stores I went to DIDN'T HAVE THE PC COPY OF XCOM, A LONGSTANDING PC FRANCHISE.

Yet they had the PC copy of Dishonored and the Xbox copy of XCOM.

I was the only person to walk in to both stores, I feel like a nerd.

red731

Just got to work. *sigh
I will be glued to screen so keep me posted please.
I will VPN for the first time and I can't wait to get home!

Beardz

God the game is great! My first two tries I got f*cked, then the third time I'm killing aliens left and right and my team is growing fast, one sniper, one heavy, etc.

I want to keep playing but I have to work tomorrow, damn! btw, Classic Ironman is the way to play XCOM :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Slab Bulkhead
Fridge Largemeat
Punt Speedchunk
Butch Deadlift
Bold Bigflank

Splint Chesthair
Flint Ironstag
Bolt Vanderhuge
Thick McRunfast
Blast Hardcheese

Buff Drinklots
Trunk Slamchest
Fist Rockbone
Stump Beefgnaw
Smash Lampjaw

Punch Rockgroin
Buck Plankchest
Stump Chunkman
Dirk Hardpeck
Rip Steakface

Slate Slabrock
Crud Bonemeal
Brick Hardmeat
Rip Slagcheek
Punch Sideiron

Gristle McThornBody
Slake Fistcrunch
Buff Hardback
Bob Johnson
Blast Thickneck

Crunch Buttsteak
Slab Squatthrust
Lump Beefrock
Touch Rustrod
Reef Blastbody

Big McLargeHuge
Smoke Manmuscle
Beat Punchbeef
Pack Blowfist
Roll Fizzlebeef

Congratulations on copying from the MST3K Space Mutiny script :p

GooeyHeat

Classic Ironman here, just failed a mission and lost 3 squaddies. Awesome game, though. Cleared 3 missions before shit went wrong.

Also, I have a randomly named soldier named Steve Martin. And he's still alive. So, there's that.

Zeliard

If you decide to play on Normal, do Iron Man anyway. It's a must. I'm on Classic Iron Man but I would pick Normal Iron Man over Classic non-IM.

Christ al-fucking-mighty, how long does it take to unpack? And why? Borderlands 2 didn't have to unpack! Arghhh!
Just finished. Now installing! Argghhh!
Oh, and Dishonored is unpacking. Argghhh!

notsol337

marked forever
Oh man, I want in on GAFCOM. That sounds awesome! I'm doing pretty well, considering it's been awhile since I touched a strategy game. Almost lost my longest running vet, but luckily he was simply critically wounded right next to the medic. I forgot one key rule about assaulting something.

Don't knock on the front door until you clear the flanks. Almost paid for that in blood.

Nocebo

Unlocked through VPN this about 2 hours ago and played one mission before going to work. I skipped the tutorial and dived right in with classic ironman. First mission was pretty tough, started in a corner and was surround by 6 aliens right from the start. Lost one guy and got 2 wounded, luckily they survived and were all healed up in time for the next meat grinder. Fortunately it seems getting wounded is not as big a deal as in the original.
All in all the game is pretty tense on ironman! Can't wait to get home and play again.
Christ al-fucking-mighty, how long does it take to unpack? And why? Borderlands 2 didn't have to unpack! Arghhh!
Just finished. Now installing! Argghhh!
Oh, and Dishonored is unpacking. Argghhh!
Took 5 minutes for me.

mrgone

So good. Even the tutorials are super fun (after I was beginning to loathe them after playing the demotease so many times :) )

An issue I ran into - the key binding facility in the options seems to be a little broken right now, specifically when you try to bind the same key twice and it gives you the replace key warning. If you go through that it appears to break any key being set for that function until you reset to defaults. The workaround is to unbind all the keys you want to move and all the functions you want to replace first (the red x on the right of the key bind). No problems setting keys after that!

anastazius

Neo Member
Sorry if this has already been answered, but what are the impressions of the 360 version of the game? My PC can barely run Half Life 2...

Tain

This is pretty great so far, but it's a shame that there isn't a way to disable saves mid-mission. I don't want to go all out with Ironman (after my initial attempt), but I also don't want to have the option of saving and rolling back at a crash site, either.

Sanctuary

Is there a hidden option, or something in the config that can be edited to STOP the damn tooltip from popping up every single time I want to use an ability? Let's see, I've used Overwatch, and Run & Gun more than ten times now. You would think I would know what they do without the "help".

Stuck on normal for now (being an xcom noob)
Really enjoying reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles

Country Missions seem random except for the map setting

Going to be hilarious hearing the horror stories from everyone that went classic ironman.

Well:

About 1 and a half hours in, I'm down to 4 active soldiers (all rookies) and $2. Total of 7 soldiers, but my 3 surviving squaddies are all injured and out of action.

Last mission my whole squad wiped due to some unfortunate panicking on the part of my soldiers.

Top Bottom