• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Realyn

It's a matter of can vs will. Ironman mode does two very critical things. One: Removes the temptation altogether. You dont need to test your resolve. You have no choice. Two: Increases the tension. It fundamentally changes how you play. You have to be cautious and treat the battles as dangerous.

Well I didn't wanted to sound rude with my original post, but you are really limiting your game experience if you keep reloading in other games.
So yeah, I see your first point, but not really the second. If you don't cheat yourself you have to be cautious and so on aswell.

Well I didn't wanted to sound rude with my original post, but you are really limiting your game experience if you keep reloading in other games.
So yeah, I see your first point, but not really the second. If you don't cheat yourself you have to be cautious and so on aswell.

Hey if you have the strength of will to never reload, great. But the fact that you have the option exists. And it's hardly cheating if the game gives you the ability. It's why ironman is a mode in games. It's a different rule set.

Nocebo

So why not go ironman when it's available anyway?

Jintor

Alien turns never ending is the only one i've really seen, aside from a weird crashbug caused by having two interceptors and a skyranger in the air at the same time

Alien turns never ending is the only one i've really seen, aside from a weird crashbug caused by having two interceptors and a skyranger in the air at the same time

Tragic! But worth the risk. Worst I've seen is extreeeeeeme slow motion on reaction shots. Once had a sniper take about 15-20 seconds to fire from overwatch. Actually mildly amusing.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I just got this game and man it's bring back memory's of playing the old ones when was younger. Anyway I just captured my first live one and I'm about to go all 24 on his ass, should be fun.

On a side note, I hope they release terror from the deep as a add on, that would be so great.

Tragic! But worth the risk. Worst I've seen is extreeeeeeme slow motion on reaction shots. Once had a sniper take about 15-20 seconds to fire from overwatch. Actually mildly amusing.

I had to exit the game earlier because of exactly this problem, only it was seemingly endless! It was actually really hilarious, thanks to the really goofy expression on my guy's face.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
One of the times it got stuck for me was when one of my heavies was trying to use overwatch fire. He got stuck in an endless loop of raising his gun and then lowering it again.

I told him it was neither the time nor the place to tone his triceps but he would not listen to me.

I had to exit the game earlier because of exactly this problem, only it was seemingly endless! It was actually really hilarious, thanks to the really goofy expression on my guy's face.

Haha. Yeah. Thankfully I was near the end of a mission so it didn't last long and cleared up afterwards and after the first 1-2 times I just enjoyed it for what it was.

One of the times it got stuck for me was when one of my heavies was trying to use overwatch fire. He got stuck in an endless loop of raising his gun and then lowering it again.

I told him it was neither the time nor the place to tone his triceps but he would not listen to me.

Sounds like he deserves a bangin' and clangin' nickname.

FtHTiny

Just got my key sent but don´t really know if i will unlock it early.

Will probably cave in anyway when the preload finishes..

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Sounds like he deserves a bangin' and clangin' nickname.

I'd give him an iron-pumpin' sorta name but the nom de guerre the game gave him is Odin, which is kinda kickin'.

He's also my tutorial mission survivor, so it ain't like I can just go renaming him all willy-nilly. Dude's got tenure.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It gets pretty annoying after the twentieth time

does this only happen in ironman mode, or are you concerned about it fucking up your game because you're in ironman mode?

I'm just playing normal non-ironman but I hardly ever remember to save - should I do that more often just in case?

First-time XCOM player, picked Normal Ironman, not even for the additional challenge, but for the feeling that your decisions hold any weight... and I don't want to bother with save games :lol

Game is beyond awesome. In my first post-demo mission my Japanese rookie got one-shotted in the first turn by a Sectoid :lol after that I managed to do pretty well, but Overwatch seems to be highly abusable. I hope this changes later, if not I'll just play Classic Ironman after I finish the first playthrough.

Cool moment was when my Korean rookie snapped and went into alien fire. Had 3 turns to revive him, managed to kill the aliens on his last turn. Another scrub saved.

It's going to be hard to decide between this and Dishonored for my 2012 GOTY.

I'd give him an iron-pumpin' sorta name but the nom de guerre the game gave him is Odin, which is kinda kickin'.

He's also my tutorial mission survivor, so it ain't like I can just go renaming him all willy-nilly. Dude's got tenure.

I'd love to know how the game does nicknames. Is it random? Based on class/what they do?

I ask cause my crazy ass Assault guy who I make rush forward alot got "Desperado", my squad sight
Sniper hot "Shadow", and my roomate/his GF got "Kong" and "Congo", heh.

derFeef

Had one soldier panicking. He killed two Sectoids thanks to the linking, and lit a car on fire which blew up later and killed another one of those slimey bastards.

RIP duder, you saved the mission.

Zeliard

Had one soldier panicking. He killed two Sectoids thanks to the linking, and lit a car on fire which blew up later and killed another one of those slimey bastards.

RIP duder, you saved the mission.

Haha, it's always great when a soldier panics, screams, and then just wildly shoots an alien in the face.

Bit less funny when he shoots a squad member in the face. :<

Sectoid Commander mind controls my max rank Sniper. Last action is my Shotgun assault with Rapid Fire. 25% chance to hit. Both need to connect to kill. LORD GOD RNG blesses thee, both shots connect.

Mikeside

Losing soldiers is fucking heartbreaking. Never played one of these before, love it.

I had a sniper stay with me through thick and thin whilst other soldiers died left and right.
She saved a few guys from chryssalid deaths with amazing shots from afar.
Until a fucking floater went behind her and she was cornered. She moved away from him and fired off a shot, taking the bastard out. I actually shouted "NOO!" when the last chryssalid, which I hadn't noticed came from behind and tore her asunder.

Killing that zombie wasn't fun :(

Does anyone else have problems selecting terrain at different heights? In loads of places I try to put my cursor over it, and it flicks back and forth rapidly between what's in the foreground and background and I can't select the right area. All I can do is rotate the camera, jiggle the mouse, and try to find a sweet-spot where it'll let me select what I want.

derFeef

Does anyone else have problems selecting terrain at different heights? In loads of places I try to put my cursor over it, and it flicks back and forth rapidly between what's in the foreground and background and I can't select the right area. All I can do is rotate the camera, jiggle the mouse, and try to find a sweet-spot where it'll let me select what I want.

Yeah it's a bit finicky. Just be very careful, try turning the camera etc.

Ceebs

I beat my 4 man squad vs Muton army with zero losses.

I high tailed it back from the building and turtled up on a freight truck and let them come to me.

Nocebo

hhhnnggg want to play! I left for work just as I arrived at a UFO land-site. I need to ace this and grab a ton of alloys and get some better body armor on my guys asap!

DrBo42

I don't know how you guys play on classic. I tried it just now, lost my entire squad on the first mission. The enemy is just so damn aggressive and accurate. *psyduck*

Edit: Minor nitpick - Flags on US soldier uniforms should be backwards. I want a fix!

Can you choose which squadmates to take with you on missions?

Is it just default which solders go with you?

When some of your promoted guys get better after being hurt how do you add them for a mission?

When some of your promoted guys get better after being hurt how do you add them for a mission?

Yes. You will be given a squad which you can modify to your liking. To add them, remove one of the other soldiers (X) and add the one you want from the list.

Nocebo

When you see the load out screen before a mission, click on a guy then click "clear".

One thing I don't like is when you have 3 guys in overwatch and they all fire at the same time if they can. Thus wasting all your overwatches on a single enemy. Why not have em take turns, starting with the closest one and then stop when the enemy is dead? That way you can potentially have some overwatches left when the next alien comes around.

Or is it that they all fire because the game had determined before hand how many were required to kill it? hmm that's probably it.

Top Bottom