• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

BLCKATK

Currently watching my roommate play through this, he's on his third restart on classic. Seeing his shit get annihilated is heartbreaking.

Tain

Now that I've failed Classic Ironman, as expected, I'm pretty torn between playing on Normal and forcing myself to not save during ground missions, playing Normal Ironman, or playing Classic and forcing myself to not save during ground missions.

Beaulieu

So I bought this tonight, started a game on normal. Everything was awesome, losing a guy and and there but nothing dramatic. Kinda low on cash but 2nd month ending soon.

That was all fun and shit until I had to attack that alien base. Lost all my guys. I thought "no big deal, i dont play iron man, i will have to option to start the mission again". nope.

Didnt even know I had to use the manual save option. Needless to say I am a little angry right now. Fuck fuck fuck.

This game is awesome but FUCK. arhghh.

So what is Ironman exactly ? no option to save ? I didnt even know I had to fuckin save ! !! a hint during the tutorial would have been cool. Shit fuck.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Just had my first Ironman/Classic game ended when a squad of my best troopers all died. The rookie shot our best Support and things went to shit real fast. After that, about 4 countries all went to max panic and I had already lost France so there was no way I'd be coming back from that fuck-up. Is there anything you can do for a country that's hit Panic Level 5? I couldn't even send up any more satellites because I had used up my two slots from the first Sat. Uplink, and couldn't build another without the required number of Engineers. Kinda frustrating when the whole time I knew I needed more Engineers, but there was no means to get them.

EDIT: Up till this point, I was losing about a rookie per mission, but maintaining a core group of survivors that were leveling up. Did lose my first Assault soldier, but I was recovering from that when this shit happened.

really enjoying the game. played 6 hours straight today.

started maybe 4 games of classic and quit after losing all my high ranking soldiers mission after mission.

normal ironman is fun for now!

classic is pretty difficult, I can't even imagine how hard impossible would be.

I think I'm going to restart on Classic. Normal has become way too easy and it's gotten to the point where I really need to do something stupid in battle for one of units to die. All the ones I use are Majors or Colonels and they simply plow through enemies. It wasn't a wasted playthrough though, I made a bunch of mistakes in base management and I'm glad I learned some lessons there.

Mesoian

This game is fucking troll face.

Hey, so you got a sniper bearing down on a runner with 98% chance to hit? GUESS WHAT! YOU MISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The math in this game is fuckin' awful.

Miletius

Now that I've failed Classic Ironman, as expected, I'm pretty torn between playing on Normal and forcing myself to not save during ground missions, playing Normal Ironman, or playing Classic and forcing myself to not save during ground missions.

Same. Normal Ironman for me to start. Will playthrough and win once on normal before moving onto Classic.

Danj

I hate retailers.

ExZ1v.png

Can't wait for the day when digital distribution can move past pandering to them.

Hey, so you got a sniper bearing down on a runner with 98% chance to hit? GUESS WHAT! YOU MISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah i don't remember situations like that happening as often in the original game. something about their hit calculations feels a little off here.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

math seems fine to me. Seems you are forgetting that 2%.

Normal Ironman. Sent in a guy to try and Arc capture an Outsider. Figured I could Run and Gun and use it.

Nope.gif

RIP brave soldier. You will be remembered.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If I build an access lift do I get access to all the tiles on a given level, or can I build only on a tiles adjacent to other facilities?

You have to excavate first on that new level to build anything. And you can only excavate next to a tile that already has something on it, or is already excavated.

Jintor

If I build an access lift do I get access to all the tiles on a given level, or can I build only on a tiles adjacent to other facilities?

still gots to excavate boyo

yellow circle is reduced sight-range. Mostly you won't give a shit because your other guys will see beyond it, but if you hunker down your scout/pointman you might have a problem

legbone

man, this fucking game. i love it but i think i may be too stupid to be good at it (and i scored a 32 on my ACT if that means anything). i have never really been good at strategy games. hell, i suck at chess. my mind just doesn't work that way. oh well, i think i will try out the mechromancer and put the old brain on autopilot for a bit.

Wedge7

Taking the advice of people who are saying to play the tutorial, and then restart your game and skip the tutorial. Just a quick question though, is how do you know when the Tutorial is over, so I dont waste any more time and can then play through the game normally. I take it the game doesnt simply say "Tutorial is now completed" or something, so just wanna know what mission or prompt will alert me that its now over.

Wedge7

the tutorial ends when you rescue the VIP I think

Ah, so rescue him, end the mission and then re-make game and I wont have "missed" anything. Thanks man. Rough estimate in how long the whole tutorial takes? 1-2 hours or more like 30 mins?

Emitan

everyone is fucking panicking because i dont have satellites or something but i cant make more satellites because i need more satellite things and i need more scientists for those and i need more money for those and...

Well I reloaded the save a few times and never hit the target with 85% chance.

It probably calculates the RNG in advance so you are never going to hit.

Jintor

Well I reloaded the save a few times and never hit the target with 85% chance. It was during the final encounter of the first alien base you encounter against the sectoid which mind controls.

RNG seeding is a standard part of tactical games to prevent save scumming on single shots, or so I am assured

Basically it rolls the dice before you make the actual shot, so if you save and then your first action is that shot, you'll always miss. or hit. or whatever.

Rom1944

I started a classic iron man i was doing well even cleared my first terror mission but i was lossing 1 squad member per mission and they were always the vets finally my demise came and got 3 squads wiped out and lost funds with 4 countries, now im playing normal ironman yeah im a wuss :-(

Is there any need to capture a thin man or floater if you have already captured a sectoid?

Zeliard

I think I'm going to restart on Classic. Normal has become way too easy and it's gotten to the point where I really need to do something stupid in battle for one of units to die. All the ones I use are Majors or Colonels and they simply plow through enemies. It wasn't a wasted playthrough though, I made a bunch of mistakes in base management and I'm glad I learned some lessons there.

I think this is the best thing to do honestly when/if you wipe on Classic - just restart back on Classic IM again. You'll become better at the game over time, and while there is an element of luck/chance involved with the hit percentages, your game will become more tactically and strategically sound with experience and you'll be less likely to get yourself into trouble.

Spl1nter

RNG seeding is a standard part of tactical games to prevent save scumming on single shots, or so I am assured

Basically it rolls the dice before you make the actual shot, so if you save and then your first action is that shot, you'll always miss. or hit. or whatever.

I guess I was just unlucky than as I loaded up a turn before.

Jintor

i don't really know how it works, save that they pre-roll the dice. I'm sure fire emblem fanplaces have extensive documentation on it though

Anyway dudes will probably tear the code apart in a few weeks anyway, so that should be fun

Ceebs

I will be glad when someone puts together a few build priority lists for the base building stuff because that is part of the game I am awful at.

zchen

R.I.P. Squaddie Maxim Dupont - Sniper, 6 kills in 2 missions. Killed in the line of duty protecting General Donovan.

In true xcom fashion......Sq Maxim was riding high after getting 4 kills in his 2nd mission, including head shot on a thin man with 55% chance to clear the landing zone for the vip, then he was gun downed by a sectoid right after the VIP entered the craft.

Achamian

maybe i missed something in the tutorial but how the hell do you open doors when in cover on either side? is there a button i'm missing or something? on pc btw.

Keikaku

maybe i missed something in the tutorial but how the hell do you open doors when in cover on either side? is there a button i'm missing or something? on pc btw.
Select one of your troopers, mouse over the door until you see a mouse icon and hit the LMB.

Nocebo

Hint: the icon that shows up on the door is supposed to be a mouse. :p
Click the left mouse button

red731

So the customization is very handy. I have my medkit guys in red, catchers yellow, dead bringers in black....

Oh, I've just created this -

tZ5VR.jpg

Zertez

Base building is going to come down to playstyle and what you want to focus on. Some people focus on research, others on a great economy, cutting edge weapons, others on having a lot of trained soldiers. One nice thing about the game is there is several different ways to get the job done. Depending on what you want to specialize in, will depend on what you should focus on building early on. Getting a healthy paycheck every month is a nice start though, and that comes mainly from getting a nice network of satellites going. You can always sell materials on the gray market, but you may find yourself short of supplies when building new items.

Classic Ironman, lost 2 Sgt. on the second mission. I am tempted to re-load until you make it alive with everyone in the first 2-3 missions, the beginning seems to be the most important part of the game.

Top Bottom