• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

Mupod

Bwahahahaha mind control is great. Elite muton? No, now you're my suicide bomber, go get em tiger. I have no idea why anyone would rather have the dumb smoke grenade ability you can pick instead of MC.

I am fantastically unlucky when it comes to capturing psionic aliens though. Seems like something stupid happens every time, like a 130 will/mind shield soldier getting mind controlled forcing me to put down the alien. Or sniper reaction fire through 3 doorways from across the map killing something I'm trying to taze.

I got a question though about that though.
Does Ethereal reflection stop the arc thrower? For some reason the circle wasn't showing up.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Fucking shit a chysalid jumped up on the roof and charged one of veterens, ran out of energy directly diagonal from him, and my Sniper killed it with a headshot next round.
Playing on ironman... my asshole was puckered tight holy hell.

Game is fun but there are a lot of bugs. Ran into the mission control one where I couldn't click on the button and the game just stayed on the picture of the globe. Had to kill the game and start it up again.

Really hope they get this figured out.

Teknoman

I feel mostly the opposite. I knew it was HR's composer the moment I heard it, and that doesn't seem quite right for this game. Too slick, too atmospheric, and frankly too phoned in.

I've never played the classics, so I really dont have anything to compare it to, so i'll have to give those a listen.

epmode

Quite a few pages back, but I just started using a controller tonight and ran into this issue. It seems when you use a controller and go to mission control you can't rotate the globe in any feasible manner (it would probably take 10-15 minutes just to get one rotation it moves so slowly with a controller).

With a mouse, it's not an issue at all, but when you use a controller it's like the option just goes away.

*edit: looks like someone found a potential solution here

I'm glad I saw this! Thanks very much.

Jubbly

Started my second Normal game and am doing so much better now I actually understand all the mechanics, know what research to avoid, etc.

zhTU8.jpg
Tn0sZ.jpg
P2TMt.jpg

Will progress to Classic when I polish this campaign off.

Soktos

Is there any reason to build more than 6 of one item? When someone dies with an item equipped, do you lose it and have to build another one? Or is 6 of any one item all you will ever need?

Started my second Normal game and am doing so much better now I actually understand all the mechanics, know what research to avoid, etc.

Will progress to Classic when I polish this campaign off.
WISE SIFU..TEACH ME!!
how did you make every nation calm? what did you avoid? do first? Do tell!

Just had a mission where my guy snuck up on a Muton while another was Suppressed, and missed a 94% shot which ended up in his death...and then the Suppressed Muton scored a critical hit and killed the guy Suppressing him.

This game.

Jubbly

WISE SIFU..TEACH ME!!
how did you make every nation calm? what did you avoid? do first? Do tell!

The path I went was: Laser Rifles > New Sat. Room > Arc Thrower > New Sats >Capture Sectoid Commander and Glowy Crystal Dude ASAP > Stay on top of missions, don't let any UFOs get through > Attack base > Keep teching up.

I didn't do any interrogations or autopsies unless they were PRIORITY ones, and then once I had the 'instant int. and aut. bonus' from the sats I polished off all that stuff.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
How far are you? More important, how the hell do you have so much money? I'm always scrounging and selling things just so I can build stuff.

He's got a psy lab and hyperwave relay under construction so he's gotta be pretty far along. I'm guessing he's got sats on most countries and just recently hit the end of a month so he's got a massive cash infusion and just hasn't spent any of it yet. That was pretty much what happened to me late game when I ran out of things to buy. Surprised he doesn't have any workshops though.

RyanDG

Please tell me they were killed by Chrysalids...

No wait, arc thrower mission so I'm guessing they haven't shown up yet. Damn. :(

I wish I could say they were killed by Chrysalids. However, I am finding myself in this constant mode of restart when I feel like I should've done something better. I've made a promise to myself though that this was my last restart.

No matter what happens I'm going to continue this bastard to the very end next time.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could say they were killed by Chrysalids. However, I am finding myself in this constant mode of restart when I feel like I should've done something better. I've made a promise to myself though that this was my last restart.

No matter what happens I'm going to continue this bastard to the very end next time.

Good luck with that. Sadly I only managed 3 attempts at Classic before I stepped down to normal. I was getting my ass handed to me early and often no matter what I did thanks to those damned thin men criticals on people in high cover. Now that I've beaten normal I'm gonna give it another shot but I don't think I'll be trying it with Ironman this time.

It's real assy you can't make your guys target an alien you have under mind control. Not even to stun them. Kind of a big oversight if you ask me. Maybe they'll patch it in someday.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
It's real assy you can't make your guys target an alien you have under mind control. Not even to stun them. Kind of a big oversight if you ask me. Maybe they'll patch it in someday.

I almost lost a trooper last night because of that. Grabbed an elite muton but I didn't have enough explosives to kill him so I just parked him in the open with everyone on overwatch and in cover. He didn't bother moving and took a pot shot at one of my guys and managed to crit him down to 2 HP.

RyanDG

I'm still getting used to not having free fire, especially with a Rocket launcher. Shouldn't I be able to take out a wall with the Rocket launcher rather than having to be able to hit an alien in the targeting area if I want to? :(

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still getting used to not having free fire, especially with a Rocket launcher. Shouldn't I be able to take out a wall with the Rocket launcher rather than having to be able to hit an alien in the targeting area if I want to? :(

You do have free aim with rockets. :/ Try aiming at the ground right in front of the wall instead of the wall itself.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

The other weird thing with mind control is that occasionally your dudes lose their shit when a mind controlled alien dies. Your scout Muton gets murderized and suddenly somebody goes all "No, not Mutie! How dare you!" and shoots one of your Colonels in the back.

I speak from experience on this. Filthy Quisling had probably been waiting all game to turn on me like that.

Mind control can also cause some oddities in the final mission. It gets kind of endearingly insane if you keep using it.

Totakeke

Damn, I had a pretty good game going with two snipers (one from a reward mission) until my first meeting with the mutons at a graveyard and the line of sight didn't make sense half of the time. It seems that I can't get line of sight for my units behind a car for some weird reason. In the end it was 2 sectoids vs 2 snipers, but I got killed because I missed against the sectoid around 50-60% chance like 7 times... Well that's my game gone.

I would very much appreciate a tech tree and requirements chart for research and engineering.

The other weird thing with mind control is that occasionally your dudes lose their shit when a mind controlled alien dies. Your scout Muton gets murderized and suddenly somebody goes all "No, not Mutie! How dare you!" and shoots one of your Colonels in the back.

I speak from experience on this. Filthy Quisling had probably been waiting all game to turn on me like that.

Mind control can also cause some oddities in the final mission. It gets kind of endearingly insane if you keep using it.
Bwuaha, I'd love to see that happen (in someone else's game >_>). I am completely in love with XCOM, more than I was the original. It sure does have a lot of tiny bugs, though.

RyanDG

You do have free aim with rockets. :/ Try aiming at the ground right in front of the wall instead of the wall itself.

Okay. Now I feel dumb. Earlier tonight in a mission there was a situation stand off between a target and one of my troops. Now, the target wasn't in line of site at all, but I knew where it was. I tried targetting with my rocket launcher to take out an adjacent wall since I had my sniper in prime position to take out the enemy if the wall was gone, but the only point that I was able to get it to actually fire was when I got the hit indicator to pop up showing where the alien was in my targetting area (which ended up giving me splash damage on a guy I had positioned opposite). No matter where I clicked elsewhere, my Heavy wouldn't fire. After that, I just haven't tried it again. I wonder if I was glitched?

Yeah it's as though when an alien is under your control, the game treats it like its just another member of your team for those three turns.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man, snipers in this game are nuts! Walter White is at 18 kills after 7 missions. I just put him on overwatch outside of a downed UFO and he sniped out people through multiple walls. Zero fucks given.

Jubbly

mother of god

How far are you? More important, how the hell do you have so much money? I'm always scrounging and selling things just so I can build stuff.

He's got a psy lab and hyperwave relay under construction so he's gotta be pretty far along. I'm guessing he's got sats on most countries and just recently hit the end of a month so he's got a massive cash infusion and just hasn't spent any of it yet. That was pretty much what happened to me late game when I ran out of things to buy. Surprised he doesn't have any workshops though.

This is my income and what have you, albeit a bit earlier:

As I explained before, I learnt from my mistakes first time round and made sure to get my sats up ASAP to avoid losing any countries. Also, once you have Plasma weapon research you're offered very lucrative deals (8 rifles for $3000, for example).

With my income Workshops aren't necessary, but I may add some later, space permitting.

Fjordson

Man, snipers in this game are nuts! Walter White is at 18 kills after 7 missions. I just put him on overwatch outside of a downed UFO and he sniped out people through multiple walls. Zero fucks given.
Lmfao, awesome name.

My main sniper, Colonel Jules Winfield, is pretty dope at this point as well. Just got him a Laser Sniper Rifle

Is there a kind of point of no return in this game, like there was in the original Xcom when you prepare for the final mission? And when I get to it will it be obvious? Thanks.

Top Bottom