• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Zing

Banned
Thr first thing in my mind after seeing the ground textures in this 3DS version was the N64. They are pretty bad. The Wii version textures are probably 4x the resolution.

I really don't get the complaints about the graphics. It looks and runs great, imo. It's not like it could have looked better on this kind of hardware. Also, the game did not look that much better on Wii. It looks nearly identical.

xenoblade-chronicles-wii-50430.jpg

People really dont remember what the wii version actually looked like.

I blame all the unlabeled shots of the hd texture pack.

Yup.

Overside

Banned
Thr first thing in my mind after seeing the ground textures in this 3DS version was the N64. They are pretty bad. The Wii version textures are probably 4x the resolution.

Thats... not even close. lmao. Someones been looking at screens of the hd texture pack.

Its the same textures as on wii. In fact, its really easy to see which textures havent been improved on dolphin....
latest

People assuming the game must be visually downgraded because its on 3ds... You do know the new 3ds has 3x the ram and a higher clocked gpu than the wii right?

Just picked my copy up and even downloaded the theme drone the theme shop.

Btw does anyone know what happens if you try and stick the cartridge in an OG 3DS? I'm curious :)

Just picked up my copy. I want to give one last fuck you to NOA for delaying a week here for no apperent reason, but atleast I have it now. Gonna fiend on it all weekend.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It doesn't look as bad as I was expecting, but I'm just happy it runs so well. I'm going to have to fight my OCD and avoid most of the side quests so I don't end up burning myself out after 11 hours again.

Kadin

My big question is, how does it play with the c-stick? Does it feel perfectly fluid and respond as you'd expect?

ramyeon

My big question is, how does it play with the c-stick? Does it feel perfectly fluid and respond as you'd expect?
Yes. The c-stick works great for most games, and this is no exception. I think the thing that surprised me most about the N3DS is how natural the c-stick feels to use.

BlakeofT

I'm personally still getting used to the nub since it's my first time really trying it. It's not bad though. I imagine it wouldn't work great for a shooter, but it does the job for a game like this.

Kadin

I'm personally still getting used to the nub since it's my first time really trying it. It's not bad though. I imagine it wouldn't work great for a shooter, but it does the job for a game like this.

Yes. The c-stick works great for most games, and this is no exception. I think the thing that surprised me most about the N3DS is how natural the c-stick feels to use.
Okay that's good to hear. I forget, is there an option as well to quickly snap the camera behind you?

Probably going to download this in a bit. I have it for Wii but maybe I'll play it more now that I can have it with me everywhere.

Zing

Banned
Thats... not even close. lmao. Someones been looking at screens of the hd texture pack.
I have never seen any HD pack. I saw a video comparing the Wii game vs 3DS side by side. The 3DS clearly has lower resolution textures and it is immediately apparent when comparing side by side.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I think the game looks great. Almost as good as the Wii version.

Frankly it runs better than the Wii version, or so it seems. The UI being a bit messy looking doesn't really bother me too much. I mean, I lived through MH3U on 3DS, so you can't do any worse than that. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the huge areas in the game later on.

Just picked up my copy. I want to give one last fuck you to NOA for delaying a week here for no apperent reason, but atleast I have it now. Gonna fiend on it all weekend.

We europeans have to wait another month for Kirby and the rainbow curse and Codename Steam.

I'm sure you guys will cope with a lost week's worth of progress.

Maybe (probably) I'm misremembering what Wii games looked like, but when I'm in combat or running around the field, the game looks like what I remember PS1 games looking like. Not quite that bad because character models and the environment and huge and more detailed than a PS1 game, but it's so blurry.

When I was a kid my parents would try to play my Game Boy, and every time after a minute or so they'd give up and say something like "How can you ever tell what's going on here?" That's borderline how I feel playing this, anything in the distance feels hard to make out.

On the other hand the graphics during cutscenes are pretty great, the character models look great for a 3DS game. It's just when the game is more zoomed out that things don't look so hot.

I only tried it out for a half hour or so and I am excited to play more, the world is already interesting and the battle system seems fun. My initial impression though is that I should have just tracked down a copy of the Wii version.

totowhoa

Banned
It's sad that this is a sincere question. This game was fun for me right from the start.

Yeah I didn't like it much 5 hours in and I stopped playing a week after the EU launch. The game has a number of systems in place and you really need to get in there and read the tutorials. I started playing it on Wii again a week ago and I'm 12 hours in and really enjoying it the second time around.

There's not exactly a compelling story early on if you're not having a blast with the mechanics.

Crisium

Maybe (probably) I'm misremembering what Wii games looked like, but when I'm in combat or running around the field, the game looks like what I remember PS1 games looking like. Not quite that bad because character models and the environment and huge and more detailed than a PS1 game, but it's so blurry.

Wii games run at 480, most PS1 and all 3DS games run at 240. So it certainly has higher detail models and texturing and other effects than any PS1 game, but it's still that crappy resolution. The Wii version displays 4 times the pixels, and that goes a long way.

Glix

Picked this up on my lunch and played until I was allowed to save (after some Shulk/Reyn bonding)

I am very pleased. I put about 10 hours in on Dolphin then quit once this version was announced (I prefer portable).

Excite!

(Also grabbed a copy of Yoshi Touch and Go, because I've been loving Kirby on WiiU so much)

Wii games run at 480, most PS1 and all 3DS games run at 240. So it certainly has higher detail models and texturing and other effects than any PS1 game, but it's still that crappy resolution. The Wii version displays 4 times the pixels, and that goes a long way.

Yeah, I bet. I wish there was a playable demo, it seems like the general consensus in this thread is that it looks fine, or even good. I couldn't disagree more, it looks really, really rough.

TheMoon

I really don't get the complaints about the graphics. It looks and runs great, imo. It's not like it could have looked better on this kind of hardware. Also, the game did not look that much better on Wii. It looks nearly identical.

xenoblade-chronicles-wii-50430.jpg

Neither the Wii or N3DS version looks this blurry, though. This is what the game looks like if I take my glasses off and sit across the room maybe.

Just picked my copy up and even downloaded the theme drone the theme shop.

Btw does anyone know what happens if you try and stick the cartridge in an OG 3DS? I'm curious :)

Nothing. It says this is an N3DS game and can't be played.

It plays exactly like the game did on Wii with a CC Pro.

Okay that's good to hear. I forget, is there an option as well to quickly snap the camera behind you?

Yes.

We europeans have to wait another month for Kirby and the rainbow curse and Codename Steam.

I'm sure you guys will cope with a lost week's worth of progress.

You guys also got the regular n3DS and we didn't....we can be here all day lol.

EDIT: also you guys said there was a patch. Is it automatic or do you have to do it manually?

TheMoon

You guys also got the regular n3DS and we didn't....we can be here all day lol.

EDIT: also you guys said there was a patch. Is it automatic or do you have to do it manually?

There are no automatic patches on 3DS. Everything is manual. The game will notify you on the Home Menu if there is an update out.

Rich!

Got to
agniritha.
Ended up having to level up a bit with some sidequests. Was fun, as I haven't done any until that point!

Shit is almost about to get really fucking real with regards to the story though, I always love getting to this part of the game.

Neither the Wii or N3DS version looks this blurry, though. This is what the game looks like if I take my glasses off and sit across the room maybe.

I have the 3DS version on in front of me right now and I'd say that's a fair representation of it, except it looks worse in motion because of the aliasing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
the Vita specs are mobile specs from like almost 5 years ago. If the next nintendo mobile can't do that then they might as well go third party.

People said the same thing before the 3DS launched about it not hitting PSP specs. It will surpass the Vita easily...but maybe with a cheaper lower quality screen!

I'm quite fine with anything around the quality of the Wii U Gamepad's screen.

Anyone else pre-order at Best Buy? I normally wouldn't have done so, but I had a gift card and GCU, so I figured I would go ahead.

Went to pick it up at lunch today though, and they told me they hadn't received their shipment yet. Said it would probably be a few more days. Crap. =(

Edit: Just checked BestBuy.com and the game is showing as in stock at my Best Buy now. Either they received it after I left, or they just didn't know what they were talking about. Guess I'll stop back by after work.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Anyone else pre-order at Best Buy? I normally wouldn't have done so, but I had a gift card and GCU, so I figured I would go ahead.

Went to pick it up at lunch today though, and they told me they hadn't received their shipment yet. Said it would probably be a few more days. Crap. =(

Edit: Just checked BestBuy.com and the game is showing as in stock at my Best Buy now. Either they received it after I left, or they just didn't know what they were talking about. Guess I'll stop back by after work.

At BB the answer is almost always "It's in a box in the back somewhere."

Overside

Banned
I have never seen any HD pack. I saw a video comparing the Wii game vs 3DS side by side. The 3DS clearly has lower resolution textures and it is immediately apparent when comparing side by side.
Then how do you explain the screen I just posted showing the original wii textures? The wii games textures are that bad. Thats what you get when you only have 88Mb of ram to work with, the new 3ds, has 256Mb of ram to work with (And more vram as well. A freaking lot more, 10Mb vs. 3Mb more). The textures did not need to be downgraded for the new 3ds because of a lack of graphics power, the problem was, (and still is, in things that have actually been changed, that I have only seen 1 other person on here notice) cpu power.

You saw a video, of a 3ds game in 2d mode, which means you are seeing half the texture data (2d mode halves the resolution from 240x800 to 240x400, then stretches the remaining lines to fill the screen, you lose an entire eye screensworth of geometry and texture data in 2d mode, and then it stretches the image via line doubling), blown up past its native resolution and 92ppi to something like >40 ppi, and lossy compressed for a web stream. Compared to the wii game in its native resolution, with a higher ppi than the game had ever seen on actual hardware (The closest was the gamepad).

The textures are identical, they are the same textures, they have not been modified. They HAVE been compressed to fit on the 4Gb cartrdge (Nintendo should have just opened up the gates to the six Gb cartridges, then they wouldnt have ha to choose between compressing textures or sound), and have compression artifacts the wii textures did not, some textures did not go through the block compression process well, probably the worst ive seen is the outside wall textures on the houses in colony 9. That is not the same thing as lowering the resolution of the texture.

Should have at least offered the option of a larger rom size for digital download, or a packet to download to be added to the cartridge since they refused to go for a media size larger than 4Gb, then they could have also provided the japanese voice track.

Anyways, the problem isnt the 3ds graphics hardware, its pretty much better all around thatn the wii's hollywood. Its the cartridge. Its too small.

Anywhere in the game on 3ds you look at a texture and go 'Oh thats so low res'. The wii version is just as bad. Before the overblown scrutiny of the games textures for the 3ds port, the game was infamously mocked in screens where the camera is up close to the environment, for looking worse than ps2 games because of its low res textures, and low poly models.

Ascenion

Picked up my copy not even an hour ago. So excited to start. Been wanting to play this forever but could never find a reasonably priced Wii copy.

oakenhild

I picked up my copy at Gamestop over lunch, and put in an hour instead of eating. The game feels almost overwhelmingly big already. I'm still in pick up all the quests and explore Colony 9 mode yet.

It can be difficult to pick NPC's out of the surroundings due to the low resolution, but it isn't bothering me all that much yet. The game looks better than I expected based on some of the comments here.

Top Bottom