• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Renewed

My only gripe with the game is the text. I can deal with small text, but don't make it pixelated to the point where it has me double checking.

Otherwise enjoying myself. Swam around and ran into a few nope situations.

leng jai

Damn. Hideous?

Yep, IQ is absolutely atrocious and the 3D adds nothing. The game seems to look really dark as well even on the highest brightness setting. The UI is also less than ideal on the 3DS screen. The framerate is excellent though, no complaints there.

TheMoon

Damn. Hideous?

OAvSlyW.jpg

Pikma

Banned
i asked this in the reviews thread but it seems more appropriate here:

how are the colors in this version? i just saw video of the wii version and i thought it looked incredible. the grass was so green!

it looks really washed out on all these off screen videos on 3ds tho. i own the wii version but haven't played it. are the colors really that bad? i'm gonna pick this up in a few.
The only way to really know for sure is seeing it run on an actual 3DS, for some reason 3DS games just don't look well when not seen on the screens they're built for, doesn't matter if it's direct-feed or off-screen footage. Media, be it videos or screenshots, for 3DS games are just not accurate at all.

It fixes a bug that was present in the Wii version. Basically the min-max damage of weapons weren't being adhered to in the stat screen and characters basically only could do their minimum damage to min damage +99.

The patch fixes this so you can now do damage anywhere between the displayed min/max damage of your stats.

This is actually false, the damage glitch has NOT been fixed iirc.

Aracarn

I played a bit this morning,and was pleasantly surprised with the image quality since I was expectating worse given prior comments. The 3D is my biggest gripe, with the pop of the monster nameplates drawing my eyes away from the battle. It's OK for cut scenes at lease, but minimal at best.

TheMoon

Percy

Banned
Yep, IQ is absolutely atrocious and the 3D adds nothing. The game seems to look really dark as well even on the highest brightness setting. The UI is also less than ideal on the 3DS screen. The framerate is excellent though, no complaints there.

Yeah, performance wise it's fine but the jaggy, blurry visuals are really horrid looking. I've been having trouble seeing the ! symbol above quest giver NPCs' heads when wandering around Colony 9, and as someone else mentioned, some of the text looks pretty blurry as well.

Game itself still seems great and all, but I wouldn't recommend the n3DS version as anyone's first experience of it.

Yaranaika

Currently watching the Dolls presentations and I didn't realize this came out today.

Well I need to go to Best Buy anyways today so I guess I'm picking this up.

Can't wait to pick this up after my class in a few hours, I only briefly played the wii version using my friends copy to get an idea if i liked the game or not so I'm really excited to dig into it.

The other characters aren't so different as to require all that much adjustment, and even if you don't find one or two that easy to use, you'll be losing nothing from switching out the party leader for a few regular battles. The penalty for death in the game is basically non-existent, after all, and the stagnation that'd come from using Shulk for the entirety of the game is far worse than dying once or twice.

I'm very happy there isn't a penalty for dying, the amount of times I've died exploring and running from high level monsters is too high. Also jumping from large heights for the fun of it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Copy is ready for pickup at my local Best Buy! Going over lunch...

I should probably sell my Wii copy since I probably won't ever play it now that I have the N3DS version.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I can't decide... eShop or Retail?!

If you can't decide then go Retail, that way you can sell it later if you don't like it. I only eShop games that I know that my kids are going to want to play, or I know that I won't be selling it when its done (Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, etc)

Oddly enough...on my first playthrough I went the entire game only using Shulk.

I did the same. Alot of people say you need to switch up the main character but Shulk is very reliable and fun to play. I switch it up a little in new game plus just for amusement but I still find myself coming back to Shulk.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm excited to get back into this game, but I hope I can grasp the battle system better this time around. I played up to the point where
you learn about the floating island place or whatever it is
and was having trouble getting overwhelmed with the whole "future vision" stuff.

Hmm, so after downloading I went to the game's page on the eshop and clicked "update", I'm pretty sure it's redownloading the entire game...

My copy should be arriving in the next few minutes.

Question: how long does it take for the game to get going and start being, like, fun? Is this like many JRPGs where there's an initial 1-3 hour investment period before it feels like you're actually doing something meaningful and enjoyable?

Zing

Banned

Question: how long does it take for the game to get going and start being, like, fun? Is this like many JRPGs where there's an initial 1-3 hour investment period before it feels like you're actually doing something meaningful and enjoyable?
It's sad that this is a sincere question. This game was fun for me right from the start.

Rich!

Damn, some of you guys are tearing into the visuals huh? It can't be that bad right?

Its bad in colony 9.

The rest of the game is stunning. A few days ago I was spending time just running around Eryth Sea, admiring how well it ran and looked on the 3DS.

Overside

Banned

Well, like any book or movie, there is a beginning to the game, that has to build up to the main meat, Xenoblade kind of has two, the intro thats like a battle tutorial combined with some exposition, and lasts maybe... 10 minutes? And then the typical beginning of the game. However, unlike in the vast majority of modern jrpgs...

You can say fuck off to all that and jump off the city into the lake, to explore the wilds, and caves below and around the city from the second you gain control of your character after the intro.

It's sad that this is a sincere question. This game was fun for me right from the start.
Personally, I know that when I played it back on the Wii, I wasn't having fun after five hours.
i dropped it after that.

And there are plenty of JRPGs where people say things like "it takes a few hours to open up" (P4G comes to mind). So it is a legitimate question to ask.

TheMoon

Damn, some of you guys are tearing into the visuals huh? It can't be that bad right?

It's not. Many are probably remembering all the 1080p Dolphin shots. Just in general, if someone complains about something entertainment related on the internet, it's usually never that bad.

Heh. I've been burned too many times before, man!

Well, like any book or movie, there is a beginning to the game, that has to build up to the main meat, Xenoblade kind of has two, the intro thats like a battle tutorial combined with some exposition, and lasts maybe... 10 minutes? And then the typical beginning of the game. However, unlike in the vast majority of modern jrpgs...

You can say fuck off to all that and jump off the city into the lake, to explore the wilds, and caves below and around the city from the second you gain control of your character after the intro.

Alright. That's awesome.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I played a little bit early. Pretty impressed so far. Looks very good for a 3DS port of a Wii game. Seems like the battle system will be fun, good voice acting. Looking forward to diving into it more.

Top Bottom