• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 3D |OT| Is that a Monado in your pocket or are you just really feeling it?

Magusx

What I don't get is how is the sound worse than the wii version when normal dvd for wii was 4.7 gb and now it's 4gb :O Is it just the 3ds system being bad at sound or is it compressed?

30 hours in and am finally breaking out of the Shulk/Sharla/Reyn combo. Switched to Shulk/Riki/Melia and thats working really well. Was able to be that
Telethia boss
easily after I struggled badly with the previous team.

You're in control of Melia, right? So it's Melia/Shulk/Riki or something? Cause...

don't let the AI control Melia.

Melia's AI is notoriously garbage. It's hard to recommend her being in your battle party unless you're directly controlling her.

Please disregard this if you are controlling her. You put Shulk first in your party description, so I'm just assuming you're directly controlling him.

Kadin

So I did something really stupid and completely sold all my gear from the characters I'm not currently using. I was moving stuff around and unequipped everyone to make sure I had all gear available and then later on stupidly sold off what I wasn't wearing and yeah, I ended up saving over my most recent save.

I don't really want to load up a save from a few hours back, is there a best place to gear them up? I'm currently at
Prison Island
and I can obviously travel anywhere, where should I go to look for some stuff? I need to gear up Melia and Riki.

random25

So I did something really stupid and completely sold all my gear from the characters I'm not currently using. I was moving stuff around and unequipped everyone to make sure I had all gear available and then later on stupidly sold off what I wasn't wearing and yeah, I ended up saving over my most recent save.

I don't really want to load up a save from a few hours back, is there a best place to gear them up? I'm currently at
Prison Island
and I can obviously travel anywhere, where should I go to look for some stuff? I need to gear up Melia and Riki.

Prison Island
has a good amount of Giant's treasures containing some of Grace armor set, which is some of the best for Melia. Her best head gear, Master Glasses, can also be found there though you can also get this by Colony 6 reconstruction of Special to level 5.

As for Riki, I like him playing tank so I mainly use heavy gear for him. Titan armor set, found in Giant's treasure chest in Three Stage Summit and
Prison Island
are the ones I use for him. Eclipse armor set also is useful for him because of Ether-raising gems built on it, which can be found as item drops by enemies also on
Prison Island

Dice//

Banned
How do get to digit 5 beach to help fiora xD

You have to swim 'around' the outer perimeter circle of the
Hidden Village
(so, on the map, sticking to the left side). There's a body of water you have to swim through that will bring you closer to the 'finger' part of the Arm.

Dad

Am I going to need Shulk to use Monado arts against a lot of bosses/regular enemies post-
Prison Island
? I kind of want to switch him out for Riki, but I'd rather not be constantly rearranging my party if I keep running into enemies that I need to Purge or whatever.

Xbro

Am I going to need Shulk to use Monado arts against a lot of bosses/regular enemies post-
Prison Island
? I kind of want to switch him out for Riki, but I'd rather not be constantly rearranging my party if I keep running into enemies that I need to Purge or whatever.

Wait until you get some special equipment.

Dice//

Banned
Wait until you get some special equipment.

Honestly, for the first stretch of
the Mechonis segment; the Valley and Fortress
I think it's just better to keep Shulk and the current and better weapons with 'Enchant' on them. The first bunch of Mechon weapons really suck, offer few slots, and this is really the perfect time to up party relationship with Shulk since he's somewhat 'unneeded' when Dunban finally joins up.

Dad

Honestly, for the first stretch of
the Mechonis segment; the Valley and Fortress
I think it's just better to keep Shulk and the current and better weapons with 'Enchant' on them. The first bunch of Mechon weapons really suck, offer few slots, and this is really the perfect time to up party relationship with Shulk since he's somewhat 'unneeded' when Dunban finally joins up.

At what will worthwhile Mechon equipment be available then?

Kadin

Prison Island
has a good amount of Giant's treasures containing some of Grace armor set, which is some of the best for Melia. Her best head gear, Master Glasses, can also be found there though you can also get this by Colony 6 reconstruction of Special to level 5.

As for Riki, I like him playing tank so I mainly use heavy gear for him. Titan armor set, found in Giant's treasure chest in Three Stage Summit and
Prison Island
are the ones I use for him. Eclipse armor set also is useful for him because of Ether-raising gems built on it, which can be found as item drops by enemies also on
Prison Island
Thanks, appreciate the advice. Can't believe I did that, what an idiot I am.

Dice//

Banned
At what will worthwhile Mechon equipment be available then?

Basically as soon as you reach the next village, not the shop (as usual) but the monsters in that area and the next dungeon offer up much better equipment than what's available in Sword Valley.
Plus, Enchant has the added effect of adding damage to a weapon attack. Really I think it's the best to just keep Shulk for at least the first stretch of Mechonis.

now how do I get to digit 2

For the most part the digits are connected by the "upper part of the palm". It's hard to describe, but going "south" (on the map) essentially there's the Digit 5 beach, a bridge between Digits 3 and 4, then Digit 2 having a sort of 'roundabout' --- the best way to get to the Digit 2 plain is to basically stick to the semi-stone road (once you're inside of a semi-circle-like enclosure, just keep heading outward toward the finger).

It's a bit cluttered, so the FA is a bit hard to make your way through, but it sure is pretty!

thomaszyj

Neo Member
Finally, lv 67 Dunban/Riki/Reyn defeat lv 120 superboss. It is a tough battle because agility up, muscle up, ether def up, agility down and physical defense down gems are only lv5. Unluckily, Behave(Riki's art) does not remove crazed aura and awakening aura. Reyn is a great tank and he can survive from crazy double attack. Dunban can dodge the attack but AI Dunban is bad. AI Reyn is better for this battle. Serene heart is useless for this battle if you do not use Dunban as a tank. Maybe shulk is better for this battle because slit edge can decrease 50% physical defense. This game's battle system is great and I am going to use different parties and different gems to kill the superbosses.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Finally, lv 67 Dunban/Riki/Reyn defeat lv 120 superboss. It is a tough battle because agility up, muscle up, ether def up, agility down and physical defense down gems are only lv5. Unluckily, Behave(Riki's art) does not remove crazed aura and awakening aura. Reyn is a great tank and he can survive from crazy double attack. Dunban can dodge the attack but AI Dunban is bad. AI Reyn is better for this battle. Serene heart is useless for this battle if you do not use Dunban as a tank. Maybe shulk is better for this battle because slit edge can decrease 50% physical defense. This game's battle system is great and I am going to use different parties and different gems to kill the superbosses.

IIRC Dunban's AI doesn't use auras unless he is tanking. Or maybe just specific auras, don't remember.

thomaszyj

Neo Member
IIRC Dunban's AI doesn't use auras unless he is tanking. Or maybe just specific auras, don't remember.
Lv 67 Dunban cannot dodge every attack when lv120 is crazed and he uses serene heart to cover jaws of death. Then I decide to use Reyn as tank and control Dunban to attack.

thomaszyj

Neo Member
In fact, AI Dunban will not use aura frequently. If Reyn or someone who has higher defense in the party, he prefers to use powerless and heat haze. However, if you control Dunban, you will gain party gauge much faster than AI. Reyn also has the same problem that when he has 20% more hp, he prefers to use anchor chain and sometimes it will cover last stand. However, Reyn can absorb the aggro pretty well even without anchor chain and engage. Dunban must need serene heart and powerless to draw the aggro and dodge the attack because of low hp. With these aura arts, AI Dunban will prefer to use these two arts and sometimes covers jaws of death. Then, the battle fails. In some tough battles like lv120 and lv114, AI always makes the same mistake and finally I choose Reyn as a tank. What's more, in the battle against lv 114, because Dunban can dodge most physical attack, there is no vision about mountain stamp which deals AOE damage. But Reyn has lower agility and there will be a vision.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Level doesn't really make much difference outside of the incremental stat changes for those kind of battles. Anything more than a 20 level difference has the same stat scaling, so fighting Abaasy is nearly the same regardless of level as long as you're able to make up the stat differences with skill links and gems. IIRC as long as you get get over 180 agility you're pretty well set (you actually need more for Arsene than Abaasy). 50 from gems, 15 from the Wisdom tree, 25 from links with Sharla and Melia, just leaves 90 from your base stats, and that's not even factoring in the option to use Agility Down.

I was able to make up the agility deficiency with Dunban at 55, so he dodged the majority of the attacks with Serene Heart (with AI). Unbeatable activated once during crazed (I think between Serene Heart uses), but otherwise he held up fine. I opted not to use Jaws of Death at all in that fight since the greater agility bonus from Serene Heart at low HP was more useful.

Area attacks in are general Dunban's weakness, so it does make him a lot more risky to use against enemies with powerful physical AOEs. Fortunately once you know what you're doing you can make pretty much anything work out though.

BY2K

Membero Americo
FUCK YOU
Dickson
YOU PIECE OF SHIT

Jesus Christ it's rare for me to hate a character this much. I need to punch something.

thomaszyj

Neo Member
Teach me your ways.

Seriously though, great job. That sounds crazy. I tried taking on the level 99 Dragon that shows up in the last "Defend" mission with my level 77 party and got my ass handed to me.
Reyn is a tank. Last stand and rage are important. I have lv6 rage and it is enough. Last stand should be at least lv7. Mine is lv8. Last stand is a good way to let your AI Reyn alive. You do not need anchor chain and engage. Lv 7 Hammer beat is enough. You can put lariat or war swing to help Reyn fill talent gauge faster. Reyn's hp must be 9999. Physical defense should be 1000+. Ether defense should be at least 650. If you have lv 6 agility up gem and lv 6 ether def up gem, you can add one topple resist gem for Reyn. I do not have lv6 agility up gems and Reyn does not have topple resist gem. You can still win without it but it will be better when you have a topple resist gem. Night vision must be lv6. You can get it from lv105. Unbeatable should be lv6. Debuff resist must be lv6 because of death spike and demon flare. If you still have one slot empty, physical defense down is a great choice. Lv120 has 40% physical defense and highest hp in the game. Lowering its physical defense is necessary. I suggest 2 party members equip physical defense down. Agility down gem is important. Sometimes lv120 attack will be missed.
There are three big problems in this battle.
First, demon flare which deals AOE ether damage. My party is Dunban/Riki/Reyn. Dunban will remain a few hp after this attack. If your ether defense is not very high, use jaws of death. 9800 hp Riki will not die. Reyn will not die when his hp is higher than 6000. If lower, last stand is a good way. If you use shulk without Monado armor, you need 6000+ hp for shulk. Fiora will not die with speed armor. Melia can use reflection. Sharla, same as shulk, should have 5500+ hp.
Second, ultra air crush( talent arts) is a big problem. Because lv120 will fly to solobs place and you will probably face three solobs at the same time. I suggest you start battle in the right side of lv120. It will prevent this dragon fly to solobs.
Third, this dragon has crazed aura and awakening aura. Melia, shulk and Riki can remove the aura. However, the dragon has high possibility to resist these arts. If the arts are resisted, you'd better take care of tank's hp. When your tank is lower than 2000 hp, the dragon will probably use physical arts and a vision comes. Or it just continues normal attack. If there is no vision comes when tank hp is lower than 2000, you need to use chain attack to save his life.

thomaszyj

Neo Member
Level doesn't really make much difference outside of the incremental stat changes for those kind of battles. Anything more than a 20 level difference has the same stat scaling, so fighting Abaasy is nearly the same regardless of level as long as you're able to make up the stat differences with skill links and gems. IIRC as long as you get get over 180 agility you're pretty well set (you actually need more for Arsene than Abaasy). 50 from gems, 15 from the Wisdom tree, 25 from links with Sharla and Melia, just leaves 90 from your base stats, and that's not even factoring in the option to use Agility Down.

I was able to make up the agility deficiency with Dunban at 55, so he dodged the majority of the attacks with Serene Heart (with AI). Unbeatable activated once during crazed (I think between Serene Heart uses), but otherwise he held up fine. I opted not to use Jaws of Death at all in that fight since the greater agility bonus from Serene Heart at low HP was more useful.

Area attacks in are general Dunban's weakness, so it does make him a lot more risky to use against enemies with powerful physical AOEs. Fortunately once you know what you're doing you can make pretty much anything work out though.
Arsene's agility is just 120. It is a medium agility among unique monsters. You can dodge its attack with Melia's wind. But you can never dodge its talent arts which is the biggest problem in this battle. Besides, lv120 and lv114 both have strong ether arts. Dunban's hp needs to be half to dodge the attack and it is hard for this hp to resist ether arts. Jaws of death is required.

FUCK YOU
Dickson
YOU PIECE OF SHIT

Jesus Christ it's rare for me to hate a character this much. I need to punch something.

spoiled myself by reading that since i only just finished the mechonis factory but that doesn't surprise me at all. that character seems to have their hands in a lot of pockets and i just always assume that a character like that has some sort of ulterior motive for their "helpfulness."

I kinda cant wait to finally hit the end of the game already just to see what I'm missing. Just got a massive info dump at the Data Centre and it's just starting to feel like it's coming together.

Anyway, I wanted to ask a couple questions:
-
For Sword Valley, should I buy the anti-mechon weapons for all my characters?
- Is there any spoiler-free list of quests that give anything special, like weapons?

There isn't really a spoiler free list because the exclusive rewards you're looking for (mainly skill trees and monado powers) are themselves spoilers since the rewards are for characters you don't get until well into the game.

That said, at Sword Valley, you can probably take a look at the google doc, but if you really wanted to keep yourself from spoilers I would wait until after you're finished with Gallohad Fortress (the next area).

When you're ready: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...true&sortcolid=6&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250
I linked it already sorted to Skill Trees > Story Quests > Monado quests > Timed Quests. They are labeled in the "A" column.

Note I didn't mention weapons/armor because there aren't really many quests that offer exclusive weapons, and even less that offer the best weapon or armor a character can use. You can look for good weapons using either the doc or the wiki:
http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons
http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Armor

What I don't get is how is the sound worse than the wii version when normal dvd for wii was 4.7 gb and now it's 4gb :O Is it just the 3ds system being bad at sound or is it compressed?

The Wii version was actually on a dual-layer disc, though I believe that was mostly for dual-audio language options. Also the 3DS version is less than 4GB (~3.6GB).

i just got to
Agniratha
and, dammit, i just want to see the end of the game already! if i just do the story quests only how long would you say i have?

Please be <10 hours.

i just got to
Agniratha
and, dammit, i just want to see the end of the game already! if i just do the story quests only how long would you say i have?

Please be <10 hours.

I'd say 10-20. You could do it less than 10 if you rush, but unless you've been using Melia in your party, you'll be hitting a brick wall with one of the late-game bosses that will slow things down and test your patience.

Xbro

spoiled myself by reading that since i only just finished the mechonis factory but that doesn't surprise me at all. that character seems to have their hands in a lot of pockets and i just always assume that a character like that has some sort of ulterior motive for their "helpfulness."

I kinda cant wait to finally hit the end of the game already just to see what I'm missing. Just got a massive info dump at the Data Centre and it's just starting to feel like it's coming together.

Probably shouldn't read these things.

Garlador

I adore reading people's impressions of the game as they play through for the first time. The game has so many great twists and turns to follow as people progress.

Morts

I'm 15 hours in and just got the
Purge
ability from
Alvis.
Am I almost done?

Seriously though
magic lady
just joined my party and I have no idea how to use her. Her spells don't seem to be usable again after their cooldown?

vareon

I just got back from
Mechonis Core
where the game bombards you with awesome cutscenes and revelation after revelation. Goddamn.

Time to do some sidequests, I guess?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Her spells work in two ways. When you summon them they'll put up a small stat boost aura, and you can have three of them up at any point of any type. To get rid of them you use your talent to discharge them, dealing either single target or aoe damage, often with an added dot effect (Chill, Blaze, Poison, that's why their damage is so much lower than the rest, Aqua does HP drain)

The AI thinks that the auras are too awesome to give up and rarely discharges them, making her a substandard choice when used by the AI.

Morts

Her spells work in two ways. When you summon them they'll put up a small stat boost aura, and you can have three of them up at any point of any type. To get rid of them you use your talent to discharge them, dealing either single target or aoe damage, often with an added dot effect (Chill, Blaze, Poison, that's why their damage is so much lower than the rest, Aqua does HP drain)

The AI thinks that the auras are too awesome to give up and rarely discharges them, making her a substandard choice when used by the AI.

Thanks, good to know. Loving the game so far, but I can typically only put in about an hour a day since my girlfriend discovered Animal Crossing. This should last me a while.

Garlador

Thanks, good to know. Loving the game so far, but I can typically only put in about an hour a day since my girlfriend discovered Animal Crossing. This should last me a while.
For Melia, make sure you get her "Copy" ability as quickly as possible, which allows you to summon two spells immediately instead of waiting for the cooldown.

Maiar_m

For Melia, make sure you get her "Copy" ability as quickly as possible, which allows you to summon two spells immediately instead of waiting for the cooldown.
...which is particularly great when you specialized her in an element, because these two element discharge spells one after the other can be preeeetty huge.

Garlador

...which is particularly great when you specialized her in an element, because these two element discharge spells one after the other can be preeeetty huge.

I loaded her up with Lightning gems and watched as she became a walking cannon for a majority of the game.

Yes, fear and tremble, lowly beasts! Flee from Nintendo's most lethal Princess!

CassSept

i just got to
Agniratha

Please be <10 hours.

I'd say 10-20. You could do it less than 10 if you rush, but unless you've been using Melia in your party, you'll be hitting a brick wall with one of the late-game bosses that will slow things down and test your patience.

You can rush it for 10hrs tbh.

I think 10 hours from that point on on your first run of the game would be difficult to pull off, but slightly above that probably yeah. Closer to 15.

Top Bottom