• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

RPGCrazied

I have to be near the end now. Just have to!

Do not highlight if you don't want spoilers, blah blah.

I'm in the Mechon Capital. I lit the four pillars to go see Egil, but Gadolt is in my way. I might just level up an quest more. I'm only 65. Do you go for his adds, or do they keep respawning?

Gvaz

Banned
udivision said:
So... the backlash. It's not coming for this game, is it? This isn't one of those GAF-Hype -> GAF-Hate games, is it?

I really have to buy this down the road, don't I?
Some idiots will rag about it but seriously the pros and cons are like comparing the worlds fattest man to the worlds skinniest man

RPGCrazied said:
I have to be near the end now. Just have to!
1. they keep respawning, just hid behind a thing, kill the mobs, move to the next. that's it. if you cant do it gimme your save and i'll do it.
2. you're about 75% done. maybe 10 more hours if you don't do any quests. I guess.

Leeness

Character spoilers, after P.I. cutscenes

Man, I really want to change my GAF avatar to short haired, mecha-suit Fiora but I guess I can't yet. :( How long do you all think I should wait until I can change it?

udivision said:
So... the backlash. It's not coming for this game, is it? This isn't one of those GAF-Hype -> GAF-Hate games, is it?

I hope not! I love it. I'm sure there are some people that it just isn't for (or in the case of ~some~ people, it's ~not super complex and deep omg it's for babies~) but all in all, I don't think the love is going to turn to hate cause a bunch of people have already finished and haven't turned ~to the dark side of hate~.

RPGCrazied

He is 68, i'm 66. It doesn't kill me, but I get very low. I'll probably level up a couple times. So after I go see Egil, I have 10 more hours? Damn, this game is loooooooooooong

udivision said:

Yep, go ahead and get it. It's worth playing.

One and a half hours in. Jumped off the walkway into the water below the starting village (it seemed like a good idea at the time) and wandered aimlessly for a while. Loving the atmosphere so far.

Also: holy tutorials, batman

anaron

udivision said:
I'll get it, no doubt. It's a matter of timing now. I'll get Zelda full price and wait for xenoblade to come down later.
Pretty sure Xenoblade's just going to get more expensive considering it's eventual rarity.

Elfforkusu said:
One and a half hours in. Jumped off the walkway into the water below the starting village (it seemed like a good idea at the time) and wandered aimlessly for a while. Loving the atmosphere so far.

Also: holy tutorials, batman
With quick travel, it's always worth it to go exploring.

And read the tutorials! Most of them are actually really well done (with the notable exception of a party member) and it's worth reading them twice.

Duderz

Banned
What level should I be for the final boss? I'm currently at 79 and holy shit he is killing me and I haven't had any trouble as of yet.

Duderz said:
What level should I be for the final boss? I'm currently at 79 and holy shit he is killing me and I haven't had any trouble as of yet.
I beat it with a part of 78/78/79 I think. I was too low my first time, this was after leveling some. But I can see how you had trouble....

polg

ARGH! For those in the early stages, later on in the game there are quests with choices and bad outcomes! ;-; I had two of those, almost in a row... and no save game. Well I had one, but I was not going to replay 2 hours of side quests -sigh-

The
Telethia + Tyreia or whatever her name is
boss is giving me trouble, I try to focus on her and it seems to be pretty tough, she seems to be immune to a lot of debuffs, runs around all the time and keeps on making me target her "friend". Maybe I should go level up some more, Shulk is Level 41 right now.

CoolS

magicalsoundshower said:
The
Telethia + Tyreia or whatever her name is
boss is giving me trouble, I try to focus on her and it seems to be pretty tough, she seems to be immune to a lot of debuffs, runs around all the time and keeps on making me target her "friend". Maybe I should go level up some more, Shulk is Level 41 right now.
I did it the other way round. Once the other enemy is down you can just slowly chop away at her health.

Last Boss Spoilers:

Any tips on defeating second form of Zanza. My main party is Dunban, Shulk and Sharla and my party is lvl 77 (Maybe too low?). I normally main Dunban so I can hold aggro well and AI seems to do a decent job of healing with Sharla.

I seem to be doing well until the point where he spawns two guys. Even If I get them down he does an attack after that seems to one shot my party except Dunban
LLShC.gif

Go_Ly_Dow

Found some good places to level up later in the game.

Levelling 68-78:
Bionis Leg - Windy Cave (spiders and caterpillars)
Bionis Leg - Either North or South of the Bridge? (Yeti/Gorilla things) - they can also be found on the platforms on the lake

Levelling 79-87:
Satorl Marsh (NIGHT) - http://imageshack.us/f/64/satorlmarsh.jpg/ on the map it's near Cautious Balteid (the big flying birds and the spikey wolf type creatures)

jgwhiteus

Spent a lot of time doing sidequests and fighting high-leveled unique monsters - characters are now at lv. 94-95. I think I'm pretty much done with sidequests and leveling up now, and am just going to go ahead and finish the game - I know I didn't get all 450+ sidequests (and that was never a realistic goal), but I've completed all the ones I did receive and I haven't seen any new ones popping up, so I'm satisfied.

Some of the sidequests, especially ones that involved finding new secret areas off the beaten path, were fun. Some were annoying as hell. One required finding a collectable in a certain area with a ridiculously low drop rate; according to others online the rate apparently improves slightly during certain times of the day in specific weather conditions. I had to save and reload several times once the conditions were right in order to find just two of the stupid things.

I also fought what seems to be the most annoying unique monster in the entire game. Spoilers for a lv. 96 unique monster, and major character spoiler:
the huge spider - Firework Geldesia? - you have to fight to get Fiora's 5th skill tree was the cheapest boss I've encountered so far. I don't know what sort of aura / armor he has, but apparently every time he attacks he inflicts Daze (and sometimes Slow) on your entire party, and every time YOU attack HIM, you get inflicted with Daze as some kind of knockback. So the fight went, Attack! - Daze... Be attacked! - Daze... slowly, slowly crawling, move by move, towards filling the tension bar for a chain attack, until everything was mercifully over 10 minutes later. I only had one Daze Resist gem in my inventory, which didn't seem to do much anyway.

It seems extremely cheap and broken, and I should have been slaughtered, except for the fact he moved very slowly and his attacks were weak, which gave time for Sharla to cooldown her healing Arts and heal every round. So it was just a long, slow, frustrating battle, only broken up by the occasional Chain attack. If there was a "trick" to fighting him (specific gems, skills or characters), I'd love to hear it - thankfully I lured him away from the other high-leveled unique, so I wasn't fighting both at once.

Despite the above, still have been having a great time and will be sorry to finish it. And I'm definitely considering a New Game+ or a fresh game to take advantage of all the mechanics I've learned from the first playthrough.

Hiltz said:
I love how this game gives you glorious views of the environments. The one at
Fallen Arm
is quite beautiful and really high too.

Ideally I'd like to play as
Melia with Fiora and Dunban in my party but it probably wouldn't be effective due to the lack of healing and debuff party arts.
I loved that view too.

As for your ideal party.
Give it a go. Healing is only really an issue for longer fights. All the party members are good at DPS>Shorter fights (Melia is more big damage every several seconds though)

@jgwhiteus. re: That level 96 unique. I think the trick was
using Shulk i.e. Monado Purge to get rid of the problem (its a bit of a cop-out or an easy mode really...I guess you could say the same of Monado enchant). Otherwise, damage in other ways like bleed, frezze etc...I also fought the uniques one at a time, the other one game me more problem due to the poison floor (was it?)

Duderz

Banned
NaughtyPrawn said:
Last Boss Spoilers:

Any tips on defeating second form of Zanza. My main party is Dunban, Shulk and Sharla and my party is lvl 77 (Maybe too low?). I normally main Dunban so I can hold aggro well and AI seems to do a decent job of healing with Sharla.

I seem to be doing well until the point where he spawns two guys. Even If I get them down he does an attack after that seems to one shot my party except Dunban
LLShC.gif

I'm in the exact same boat and I'm giving up. Luckily I saved real close to the point of no return, so I'm going back to level up my party some.

I mean, holy cow does the difficulty jump with the final boss. O_O

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
NaughtyPrawn said:
Last Boss Spoilers:

LLShC.gif

Control Shulk and equip him with Double Attack and Haste gems. Try to stay behind Zanza (use Shadow Eye if Zanza targets you) and hack away to fill the talent gauge (you'll need it for Shulks Monado Shield to avoid nukes) and keep using Back Attack. You can beat Zanza at that level, as long as you avoid drawing aggro to Shulk.

mclem

udivision said:

The only backlash I've seen is of the "There's just too much game here! I play it for hours doing sidequests without progressing the main story" nature. Which isn't really all that lashy.

Just responding to a few posters in general.

I didn't bother gem crafting until I could craft level V (and hence VI) gems or for crafting Quick Step gems. I found that if you do a bunch of quests, you get lots of decent gems. When fighting higher level unique monsters, you'll definitely want to craft your own gems though.

I thought the gem crafting tutorial was a bit confusing as well. In the beginning, I just messed around gem crafting with some common crystals and eventually got the hang of it. So I'd suggest maybe try some crafting yourself and then reread the tutorials. Or just check the relevant post being linked.

For Level 80+ training, I found
Kromar beach at Eryth sea
to be slightly easier.
I don't like fighting flying enemies in general, and the Green Feris (the spiky wolf enemies) seem to take a while to kill. Satorl at night is really nice though.
Towards the end, you could also
train at Alcamoth (and do the quests there)

To add onto the Level 70+ areas, I think people mentioned this before, but there are also the
Flamiis near the north eastern anti-air battery at Colony 9 and the Hoxes on the Bionis' Leg

For the annoying unique enemy,
I just spammed Purge as Starwolf suggested. Later on I crafted gems to combat the unique enemy I'm trying to fight, such as Spike Defence, Topple Resistance, Debuff Resistance. If I recall correctly, Spike Defence VI migates 75% of spike damage, Topple Resistance adds 100% resistance, etc. so they can be really useful.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm really loving the game and think it's easily the best JRPG this gen, but fuck me if it isn't annoying to go search for almost every god damn NPC I completed a quest for. And how hard would it have been to include a bestiary, I mean, the game has everything else /rant

You now I love you Xenoblade

I may be somewhat unique, but I actually kind of enjoy being overleveled. So before I get to (level 65-70 spoilers)
the city after the Central Factory, the capitol city I think? It starts with an 'A',
I'm just doing some backtracking, exploring, and grinding. I'm up to level 77, which is apparently way overleveled compared to where I'm at in the story, and I'm probably not going to stop until I'm in the mid-80s, at which point I should be good for the rest of the game.

One of the great things about this game is the ability to easily travel back to a previous area and tear apart the uniques that gave you trouble dozens of hours earlier. Even though it's usually anti-climactic, it's still incredibly satisfying.

And I totally agree about the desire for a bestiary. It would have been so useful and interesting.

Finally, I'm kind of shocked at how quickly people are going through this game. I got it less than a month ago and I've put ~95 hours into it, and some people who started playing just a few weeks ago are already past me. Granted, I do usually take a long time to go through a game, but still. This game is huge.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
PigSpeakers said:
Is there any reason to keep "Materials" or should I sell them? Are they used for quests or anything?
Some will be used for quests, but most are junk as far as I know.

My suggestion would be to sell all your common drops (anything frequently found in a brown chest) and keep the uncommon and rarer ones in case a quest needs them. Usually quests seem to call for the rarer ones, plus if you need common ones you can get them really easily.

If the game had a bestiary - I'd still be playing :p
I'd have liked that, but at the same time I can't think of many times when I really needed one. Most of the time the info you needed was in the quest info, and if not there, then the quest giver would usually tell you if you talked to them again.

Finally, I'm kind of shocked at how quickly people are going through this game. I got it less than a month ago and I've put ~95 hours into it, and some people who started playing just a few weeks ago are already past me. Granted, I do usually take a long time to go through a game, but still. This game is huge.
I feel the same way, some people must not have jobs! And I'm going slow anyway, doing tons of quests. At the beginning (~level 50 monsters)
Galahad Fortress
and I'm level 57 or so now. 75 hours in. Haven't even counted the quests, but I'm definitely at over 300 completed.

Yuterald

Mr. Wonderful said:
My Monster Drop Item Inventory has filled up. What should I do?

Sort by quest items and then sell off lower grade monster drops. That's what I do anyway.

I'm at the final boss now, 116 hours in. Its final form is annihilating me though. Levels are around 77, I believe. I guess I'll need to grind a bit because I've tried different things against him and nothings flying yet.

Finalow

Yuterald said:
Sort by quest items and then sell off lower grade monster drops. That's what I do anyway.

I'm at the final boss now, 116 hours in. Its final form is annihilating me though. Levels are around 77, I believe. I guess I'll need to grind a bit because I've tried different things against him and nothings flying yet.
yep, you should be at level 80+.

How the hell do I beat
Disciple Lorithia
? I'm level 76, but I'm barely making a dent.
Team is Shulk/ Dunban/ Fiora.

Also,
What happens with King Agni's Tomb? Obviously it's part of the Giant's Treasure thing, but I beat the unique in there, and there doesn't appear to be any more I can do. Lupa isn't giving me any more quests, and there doesn't appear to be anything else in there. I'm stuck.

wrowa

Exterminieren said:
How the hell do I beat
Disciple Lorithia
? I'm level 76, but I'm barely making a dent.
Team is Shulk/ Dunban/ Fiora.
She has resistance against physical attacks, so you have to use ether attacks instead. Fight as Melia and the battle is an easy one

MicH

Exterminieren said:
HAlso,
What happens with King Agni's Tomb? Obviously it's part of the Giant's Treasure thing, but I beat the unique in there, and there doesn't appear to be any more I can do. Lupa isn't giving me any more quests, and there doesn't appear to be anything else in there. I'm stuck.
There isn't really anything else to do. The quest line isn't longer. I hope you checked the chest the unique was sitting on!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Castor Krieg said:
If I'm into jRPGs - is it worth it to buy a Wii for this + Last Story + Pandora's Tower? Does this game feel "epic"?
This game is probably the best of the three. Not sure if I'd describe it as "epic" considering the dumbed down meaning it's been given, but it's an excellent game and one of the best on the Wii, no doubt.

Not sure about Pandora's Tower (it's more of an action game with RPG and dating sim(?) elements) but impressions of Last Story aren't nearly as good as Xenoblade.

I'd look into some other games you want first, it's hard to recommend a platform for one or two games, even if it is a really, really good one. The only other RPGs on the system are the Tales of Symphonia sequel (don't know anything about this one) and Arc Rise Fantasia (not bad if you can get over the awful VA, or turn it off like I did). You'll probably want to look into other genres.

XPE

Castor Krieg said:
If I'm into jRPGs - is it worth it to buy a Wii for this + Last Story + Pandora's Tower? Does this game feel "epic"?

This game is fantastic, we don’t know about the other ones yet.

Tiktaalik

Sanity check: There's no way to switch your controllable character in battle right?

I'm wondering because early in the game, (sub 3 hour mark), when
the mechons invade the colony
the helpful tutorial popup tells you that you can only defeat those baddies by doing an attack that inflicts "break" and then an attack, which would be done by Reyn to inflict "topple." You can get by by just doing the break attack yourself and then waiting until Reyn does his attack that does topple, but I swear the tutorial suggests that you should have more control over the process than that. Maybe I misread it or maybe there was a mistake in the localization. I don't have a save at the spot so I can't go back and check.

This confused me for a bit and I actually got up and carefully looked over the manual, because if this feature exists and I haven't been using it that would be a pretty big oversight!

Top Bottom