• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Rarutos

A really good friend of mind is allowing me the opportunity to play this by sending me his copy since he's done with it! I can't wait! <3

Zornica

Banned
iamaustrian said:
quick fighting question:
What causes the sudden constant drop in KP during fights without even getting hit?
Sometimes it comes out of nowhere and I'm dead in seconds(sudden drop from 4000KP to 0KP in 500 steps).
I reckognized it more often during fights against Mechons in
Mechonis

(it's not "bleeding" because the bleeding-symbol doesn't show up above shulk. must be something else)

side note:
so, Mechon = B.O.R.G. (?)

it`s spike damage. you have been warned about it in a tutorial window in makna forest. you can't avoid it, but you can protect yourself by using spike defense gems, purge or in some cases topple (sometimes topple activates spikedmg in the first place).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Zornica said:
it`s spike damage. you have been warned about it in a tutorial window in makna forest. you can't avoid it, but you can protect yourself by using spike defense gems, purge or in some cases topple (sometimes topple activates spikedmg in the first place).

Topple does not stop spike effects. Daze does.

LM4sure

Banned
I just spent three hours trying to finish all the side quests in colony 9 and still haven't completed them all! And then I added a lot of new quests from the village with the little round dudes in it. This game is going to take me forever to complete!

Wichu

So I'm nearly at P
rison
I
sland
- just about to
unlock the seals
. Am I right in thinking that the timed quests in
Alcamoth
are going to become unavailable soon (with the
Mechon assault
and all)? How long do I have before they do?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wichu said:
So I'm nearly at P
rison
I
sland
- just about to
unlock the seals
. Am I right in thinking that the timed quests in
Alcamoth
are going to become unavailable soon (with the
Mechon assault
and all)? How long do I have before they do?

You're wrong. You've got another six zones.

Let me in

*endgame spoilers*
I'm finally finished. I was really impressed
when walking around in space. Very cool.
This game looked amazing when it was able to (i.e. not rendering a gigantic landscape)

I don't know if anyone else was looking for it,
but I was still waiting for an explanation about the spaceship stuck in Tephra Cave, from which you retrieve the ether cylinders. Did they forget about this? Given the things revealed at the end I'm figuring that it was just something left from the previous civilization before Zanza destroyed the world. But I was also under the impression that everything was erased and Zanza/Mayneth created the Bionis and Mechonis afterwards.

Towards the end
I got exhausted on quests and just ended up rushing through. I'm definitely not a quest completionist. I think I probably ended at 80 hours played and that took me from August 18th until today, so I was really done.
It was a masterpiece of a game, though, an I am looking forward to a NG+, just not immediately.

Zornica said:

well, thanks
Doesn't the
3rd on the left Monado specialmove(the one you get later)
also get rid of spikes and enemy aura? At least that's what the description says.

Phatcorns

I didn't read all of the conversation here, but if you're complaining about Japanese writing constantly saying someone's name, that is the translator's fault. People almost never say "you" in Japanese and instead say the person's name. A proper localization and translation would replace most of those with "you" in English.

Phatcorns said:
I didn't read all of the conversation here, but if you're complaining about Japanese writing constantly saying someone's name, that is the translator's fault. People almost never say "you" in Japanese and instead say the person's name. A proper localization and translation would replace most of those with "you" in English.

nah, we(well, I'm) are complaining about shulk constantly repeating words like he is mentaly disabled or something

Hiltz

Last night I got up to the part with your first encounter and battle with
Egil
. Damn, the cut scene that comes after is pretty cool and story keeps you guessing. I always thought there was something suspicious about
Alvis but now Dickson's role has gradually become more questionable as well. Egil is pretty cool but then again so are all of the character designs of the Machina.

Zornica

Banned
Let me in said:
*endgame spoilers*[...]

I don't know if anyone else was looking for it,
but I was still waiting for an explanation about the spaceship stuck in Tephra Cave, from which you retrieve the ether cylinders. Did they forget about this? Given the things revealed at the end I'm figuring that it was just something left from the previous civilization before Zanza destroyed the world. But I was also under the impression that everything was erased and Zanza/Mayneth created the Bionis and Mechonis afterwards.
[...]

there is a heart to heart talk between
melia
and shulk (I think) next to the place where you got the cylinders. it should answer all your questions ;)

iamaustrian said:
well, thanks
Doesn't the
3rd on the left Monado specialmove(the one you get later)
also get rid of spikes and enemy aura? At least that's what the description says.
keine ahnung welches nummer 3 is, aber du meinst wohl den löscher oder eben purge in der englischen version. die wirkung hält aber nicht lange an. melias hirnschock hat die selbe btw die gleiche wirkung und wirkt länger. das beste sind aber entsprechende gems und skillbaum verknüpfungen.

Diffense

jgwhiteus said:
Started a second playthrough with a regular new game (with New Game+ I feel a lot of fun was being sucked out and I was just running from cutscene to skippable cutscene, since there was no need to fight anyone). I have to say, I really do appreciate how they set up the plot elements and motifs in the early parts of the game - the presentation and foreshadowing were well thought-out. Seemingly throwaway bits of dialogue in the early parts are now taking on a double meaning, e.g. - spoiler for the ending plot points of the game; don't read unless you've beaten it
when Reyn and Shulk first decide to head out of Colony 9 to avenge Fiora and find the Mechon, Shulk talks about having "two voices" in his head; one telling him to think of what Fiora would say and to focus on living, the other saying "kill every single one of them!" Seemed like kind of a cliche description of his emotions in the first playthrough; second playthrough it seems like a funny in-joke and bit of foreshadowing, since it turns out he actually did have a second voice / personality wanting to kill all the Mechon...

Enjoying it the second time around as much as the first; even though the plot isn't new anymore I truly understand the combat system and can minimize learning curve frustrations.

Yeah.
Endgame spoilers:
That's why I say Shulk's general wishy-washiness and inability to "believe in himself" makes sense
in retrospect. He was dead: Zanza's ragdoll. The very fact that he retained a sense of self at all was a miracle. That wasn't the case for the giant.

Just finished the Prison Island section. goddamn, I predicted that twist regarding (characters)
Fiora
! And although they haven't explicitly said it, I have a feeling I'm gonna be right about the
faced Mechon being Dunban's traitorous buddy from the beginning of the game
too. :p

timetokill said:
Just finished the Prison Island section. goddamn, I predicted that twist regarding (characters)
Fiora
! And although they haven't explicitly said it, I have a feeling I'm gonna be right about the
faced Mechon being Dunban's traitorous buddy from the beginning of the game
too. :p
You're close to finding out.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Geeze, I just got to THAT twist after the Lv 70 bosses. That was pretty crazy. I ended up playing for like an extra hour because of that. Long cutscenes too, part of it was interrupted but I still got the gist of it. I hate it when that happens.

Anybody know if there is a list of where to get Intermediate Art Books? I know there is a list for Advanced ones from unique monsters, but there are a couple arts I really want to level up but can't get the advanced books for yet. Specifically two for the final character -
Speed Shift and Double Wind

Figure I know one way to get them but I can't do that yet. :(

Oxx

Curse this unseasonably terrific weather. The game room is far too hot to enjoy a few hours of Xeno, even in the evening.

RPGCrazied

Uhm. I need some help. End boss.

Zanza. How for the love of all that is holy can you beat him? I'm level 78 and trying my hardest, but always get my ass handed to me. And I can't go back and grind so I'm stuck?

RPGCrazied said:

Zanza. How for the love of all that is holy can you beat him? I'm level 78 and trying my hardest, but always get my ass handed to me. And I can't go back and grind so I'm stuck?
He's
angry that you changed your avatar. You can't win unless you change it back.

More Xenosaga-ish/Xenogears-ish references in Xenoblade:

The importance of will power. The Monado is limited to the will of the user.

And obviously the reverse-KOS-MOS-ing (minor vague spoiler)
of a certain character's eyes. Red when ____, Blue when _____.

Just finished it, awesome is all I can say. Story und drama really picks up the last 4-5 hours.
Definetly the best JRPG this Gen, and one of my all time favorites now.

@RPGCrazied:
I also was level 78. Just kill the adds really quick and Shield at the right times. My setup was Dunban (Tank), Sharla and Shulk
And use your Chainattacks at the adds. After the adds are dead save the chain attacks for emergency heals
Now for some endgame content :D

RPGCrazied said:

Man I know that situation,
I was either level 77 or 78 when doing that, kept getting my ass kicked. Eventually I won after I persevered with Shulk, Riki and Dunban as my team.
So it is doable but it takes effort and a fair bit of luck, two things though...
1. When you respawn after death you keep the status of your chain attack/reviving bar. You can use this to your advantage if you keep losing, starting off a fight with a hard hitting chain attack is handy stuff.
2. It goes without saying but upgrade monado shield so you don't get wrecked.
Aside from that just keep going at it, there is one move which can crap all over the entire team if I remember correctly and it can't be stopped, man that one pissed me off.

Ok, I had gotten to the end several days ago (at level 85) and decided to bail so I could finish upgrading
Colony 6
, fill in all of the area maps, kill any outstanding uniques, finish quests, explore the new areas, and complete the collectapedia and get the final
skill trees
for each character.

Currently I'm at level 97, which is obviously way overleveled for the final fight. But a question: does the game lock you out of your save after the final boss and prompt you to start a new game plus, or can you still roam around and take care of things afterwards? Because if so, I may have gotten a little too eager. :)

RPGCrazied

Nocturnowl said:
Man I know that situation,
I was either level 77 or 78 when doing that, kept getting my ass kicked. Eventually I won after I persevered with Shulk, Riki and Dunban as my team.
So it is doable but it takes effort and a fair bit of luck, two things though...
1. When you respawn after death you keep the status of your chain attack/reviving bar. You can use this to your advantage if you keep losing, starting off a fight with a hard hitting chain attack is handy stuff.
2. It goes without saying but upgrade monado shield so you don't get wrecked.
Aside from that just keep going at it, there is one move which can crap all over the entire team if I remember correctly and it can't be stopped, man that one pissed me off.

I'm tempted to just leave and level up so hard I one shot the fucker. ;/ Do you go after the adds? That's what I've been doing, doesn't matter though I end up getting overwhelmed.

Yay! It took forever, but I finally got it! Amazon.it came through!

My personal timeline to get this game: preordered from Zavvi on July 5th, shipped on August 15th, declared lost on September 9th, money refunded and reordered from Amazon on the 12th, shipped on the 14th, and delivered on the 29th.

And the adventure has just begun!

LIg6V.jpg

RPGCrazied

so what level do I need to be to destroy the last boss? I don't want to level up just a few times and get stuck, and have to redo all that over.

78 was already hard enough. 85?

Yuterald

RPGCrazied said:
Lol. I won't be getting that high. Even thinking about 85 is something I really don't want to do.

Where do I level on 80+ stuff?

Go to Alcamoth and run up to the imperial palace. Fight the enemies inside there. There are level 80ish Telethia at the top of the stairs leading to the royal chambers area. Just wipe 'em out, save, and reload for max efficiency.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
I think 80-82 is a nice balance of difficulty. I beat it at level 86 and it was just too easy (although it DID take me more than 15 seconds :p)

RPGCrazied said:
Lol. I won't be getting that high. Even thinking about 85 is something I really don't want to do.

Where do I level on 80+ stuff?
The new area of Tephra Cave,
Telethia
at Eryth Sea, Anu/Kromar Shores at Eryth Sea.

And yeah, Alcamoth is full of delicious enemies.

Edit: Sorry, spoiler'd it.

Leeness

Yuterald said:
Go to
Alcamoth and run up to the imperial palace. Fight the enemies inside there. There are level 80ish Telethia
at the top of the stairs leading to the royal chambers area. Just wipe 'em out, save, and reload for max efficiency.

You might want to spoiler that. :/

There aren't any monsters inside Alcamoth at the point in the story I'm at~

B.K.

UltimateIke said:
My personal timeline to get this game: preordered from Zavvi on July 5th, shipped on August 15th, declared lost on September 9th, money refunded and reordered from Amazon on the 12th, shipped on the 14th, and delivered on the 29th.

How do you import from Amazon? I thought they wouldn't ship games internationally?

Yuterald

Leeness said:
You might want to spoiler that. :/

There aren't any monsters inside Alcamoth at the point in the story I'm at~

Sorry, I tagged it just now. At least you don't know the context of it. Trust me, what I said is so insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

But yeah, I was exactly level 80 when I beat the game and it wasn't too tough, but it wasn't a push over either. It was a pleasant challenge.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
UltimateIke said:
Yay! It took forever, but I finally got it! Amazon.it came through!

And the adventure has just begun!

Shit. Zavvi just re-shipped a copy to me. My first also shipped on launch day and was lost in transit.

Leeness

Yuterald said:
Sorry, I tagged it just now. At least you don't know the context of it. Trust me, what I said is so insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

But yeah, I was exactly level 80 when I beat the game and it wasn't too tough, but it wasn't a push over either. It was a pleasant challenge.

I already knew what happens, kind of, so it's no big deal to me, but yeah, some people might be all WHAT?! haha. :)

Let me in

M_Night said:
The track Tragic Decision is really amazing, especially once it gets going.

Plays during one of the final bosses in the game so don't spoil it by listening to it now!
I thought I'd heard this before the final boss. Anyway, I'm just glad I can listen to the whole soundtrack now on its own since I beat it. That's the true endgame bonus.

Damn I just spent close to 5 hours in Satorl Marsh, just running around and exploring and doing quests. 21 hours in and just started Makna Forest now, though that's not that far is it?

Gvaz

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
Damn I just spent close to 5 hours in Satorl Marsh, just running around and exploring and doing quests. 21 hours in and just started Makna Forest now, though that's not that far is it?
Nope, prolly around 1/3 or 1/4th

Let me in

Zornica said:
there is a heart to heart talk between
melia
and shulk (I think) next to the place where you got the cylinders. it should answer all your questions ;)
The answer was kind of what I had suspected. Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom