• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Hiltz

ivysaur12 said:
Something I *love* about this game:

I'm on the Guar Plains. I
see a cave. Huh? What's that. It's guarded by those birds I hate! And then I go in AND I'M AT THEIR NEST AND THERE'S THEIR FUCKING KING. Now, it's not a quest, but I devote the next 20 minutes to killing every single one of them because of how much I hate them. And it was rewarding.

Those Chilkin birds aren't the monsters, you are! There's something innocent yet annoying about those little birds. Maybe it's because they look like penguins weilding poleaxes or something.

Hiltz

Gvaz said:
You know you can revive party members?

Well the problem was that the party gauge only had half a bar full and I needed to help the other party member out before I could run back to revive the other character. In addition, I was constantly being bombarded with those vision attacks, unable to stop most of them because it happend like every 8-10 seconds. To make matters worse, one of the monster's vision attacks pushed backthe character I was using, causing the camera to get stuck in a wall and made the screen turn black. I couldn't regain control of the camera (let alone see what the hell was going on during the fight) until the monster performed its next vision attack, which let me regain control of the camera. I was surprised that the other AI-controlled character was still able to survive without my help. We just barely won that battle. Oh and for some reason none of my characters were successful in causing break and topple even when during a chain attack.

Gvaz

Banned
So wait, were you fighting the large large mechon? or one of the more "iconic" mechons? The only two in CF that should give you trouble and only one is a high level (like 61 or so) so at 70 it should be a total cakewalk.

Additionally, neither of those fights you really need
sharla
for, you're better off controlling
melia
and allowing shulk to use monado armor to negate the aoe attacks by the bigger mechon.

I finally got a chance to play this, I'm 15 hours in... and I think it's great so far.

I was just wondering, how long is the game? some people say 50 hours but others have told me around 100...

also, as a random comment: what's up with all those super high leveled enemies I see all the time? like level 98 guys when I'm 31.

Leeness

Mauricio_Magus said:
I finally got a chance to play this, I'm 15 hours in... and I think it's great so far.

I was just wondering, how long is the game? some people say 50 hours but others have told me around 100...

also, as a random comment: what's up with all those super high leveled enemies I see all the time? like level 98 guys when I'm 31.

I'm at 56 hours and like 70-75% through the story, but I'm not doing a lot of quests. I'm gonna go off and do a bunch though, so...inevitably going to add another 5-6 on quests alone.

I'm guessing I'll end at 70 to 80 hours.

Super high leveled enemies are there to strike fear and revenge into you. :D You'll be back later...

Gvaz

Banned
Mauricio_Magus said:

If you do everything (every sidequest, kill every Unique, complete as much of the game as possible) expect and plan for over 100 hours. If you do the bare minimum to get by, expect 50-60 hours.

Hiltz

Gvaz said:
So wait, were you fighting the large large mechon? or one of the more "iconic" mechons? The only two in CF that should give you trouble and only one is a high level (like 61 or so) so at 70 it should be a total cakewalk.

Additionally, neither of those fights you really need
sharla
for, you're better off controlling
melia
and allowing shulk to use monado armor to negate the aoe attacks by the bigger mechon.

It was an "iconic" unique mechon and it was the biggest one I had seen. I believe both the lvl. 65 and 70 ones were of the same type of mechon but they must have had different names. Both times, I found em roaming around the on the top left corner of the map near the
Face Maintaince Bay
area.

The lvl. 65 mechon beat me several times in a row. I tried playing as
Fiora, Sharla, and Melia
. Out of those three,
Fiora and Sharla
managed to survive the longest.
Melia
was actually killed almost as soon as the battle started. It's like the mechon swattered her like a fly. I didn't play as Shulk, but had him as an AI partner while playing as
Melia and Sharla
,but I only remember him using Monado Buster. I didn't use the party gauge when he was in the party because I felt that it was going to be necessary to use it all up to revive the characters.

The lvl. 70 mechon in the same area, was somehow easier to fight even though it was just as aggressive and a constant struggle to survive. However, that's the battle where I had the major camera issue. Also, I noticed that for some reason, I could not inflict break, topple, or daze on either mechon. I even tried doing it during a chain attack, but it still did not work.

Gvaz

Banned
The very very large mechon cannot be toppled, you see this earlier on in SW with those mobs.

the other unique you're mentioning can be toppled, but he does spike damage when toppled D:

Hiltz

Gvaz said:
The very very large mechon cannot be toppled, you see this earlier on in SW with those mobs.

the other unique you're mentioning can be toppled, but he does spike damage when toppled D:

Understood. Thank you, sir. I forgot about the whole spike damage and topple effect even though two of my characters have spike defense gems on them.

guek

Banned
hey guys, so I still can't play this game off of the gecko loader. It restarts the game no matter what once I load up my save. What are you guys using as your loader?

Gvaz

Banned
guek said:
hey guys, so I still can't play this game off of the gecko loader. It restarts the game no matter what once I load up my save. What are you guys using as your loader?
Make a backup of the game then load the backup using CFG loader?

FreeMufasa

Just started it. Immediately felt at home after playing FFXII. Think i'm gonna take this slow and see if it can last me right up till Skyward Sword.

Has anyone started a second playthrough yet?

Gvaz

Banned
Diprosalic said:
i'm 15h in and just entered
the tree of those little creatures
how am i doing speed wise?
From just right, to too fast.

FreeMufasa said:
Just started it. Immediately felt at home after playing FFXII. Think i'm gonna take this slow and see if it can last me right up till Skyward Sword.

Has anyone started a second playthrough yet?
A few people have but i dont think anyone's completed it

hiro4

Diprosalic said:
i'm 15h in and just entered
the tree of those little creatures
how am i doing speed wise?

I was there around the 27 hour mark.
You are going quite fast through the game.

RPGCrazied

I haven't played in a couple days, but where I'm at, a lot of quests got locked and now I can't find anymore. So I'm stuck trying to grind on monsters. I do have some quests, but don't know where they are.

I'm almost level 72, with almost 80hours in the game.

What is courage quest. Where is Ewan? I've looked both Ether Mine and Marash, nada. The key for securing provisions quest. I can't even start the replica manado quests, since most of the monsters for drops are in the upper 80's and 90's. Same thing for making the weapon for Reyn. Token of friendship I think its called. Investigating the Ether Exhaust System. Anyone help with these?

RPGCrazied said:
I haven't played in a couple days, but where I'm at, a lot of quests got locked and now I can't find anymore. So I'm stuck trying to grind on monsters. I do have some quests, but don't know where they are.

What is courage quest. Where is Ewan? I've looked both Ether Mine and Marash, nada. The key for securing provisions quest. I can't even start the replica manado quests, since most of the monsters for drops are in the upper 80's and 90's. Investigating the Ether Exhaust System. Anyone help with these?
About Ewan,
in Satorl head for the highland with the Gogols and move towards the west side, over the bridges, where there should be a small area. I think in the Ether Mine, he's around the Secret Area near the beginning with a Krabble unique enemy (I didn't go through this route, so I'm about 50% sure.

The key...
go to the new locations in Tephra Cave. It's near Heavenly Window, but it's guarded by Level 95+ enemies. If you're Level 90ish, you should be OK, or maybe use ether, poison, chill or blaze attacks.

jgwhiteus

RPGCrazied said:

What is courage quest. Where is Ewan? I've looked both Ether Mine and Marash, nada. The key for securing provisions quest. I can't even start the replica manado quests, since most of the monsters for drops are in the upper 80's and 90's. Same thing for making the weapon for Reyn. Token of friendship I think its called. Investigating the Ether Exhaust System. Anyone help with these?

On the first,
yeah I think he ends up in the secret area in the mine near the beginning; it's a small lake and he's being attacked by a unique Krabble enemy. You should be able to fast travel there. On the ether exhaust quest, is that the one given to you in Junks by someone asking you to check it out? You just go to a small strip of land across from Digit 5 beach (fast travel to the connecting bridge or black mechon wreckage landmark, then go NE to the beach). It's a small circular building structure with low walls, and you can enter with the key you've been given - you fight uniques inside.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mauricio_Magus said:

I think I'm probably 80% done or so
- just arrived at Agniratha
and I'm almost at 100 hours. Should have every quest (or almost every quest) possible done up to that point. So yeah, it all depends on how you play, if you try to do everything definitely count on 100+ hours.

And the high level enemies are there for you to come back and kill later. Or to sneak around and maybe get something good or a quest item. Most of the game is like that, with really high level monsters mixed in with the weaker ones you can manage. Plus it keeps you on your toes, never know when a level 84 bird will swoop in out of nowhere and 1HKO you (those places are usually out of the way or warned about in advance though).

Hiltz said:
The lvl. 70 mechon in the same area, was somehow easier to fight even though it was just as aggressive and a constant struggle to survive. However, that's the battle where I had the major camera issue. Also, I noticed that for some reason, I could not inflict break, topple, or daze on either mechon. I even tried doing it during a chain attack, but it still did not work.
That guy messed me up pretty bad when I fought him. Only tried once at around level 67, but it did the big aoe attack and the vision saw it doing like 7100 damage. I was using Shulk, but I accidently used the wrong Monado art. So that was pretty ugly.

Don't remember seeing the other one in that area, was it up on the top section? Might have killed that one without much effort, that big one was the only thing that gave me trouble in that area.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Effect said:
How is GAME when it comes to shipping to the US?
GAME has been canceling orders to the US for this game. Not sure if that's changed at all over the last few days.

Gvaz said:
He's talking about the unique that looks like
Xord
Oh, I thought that one was really easy. Killed it at least twice.

Effect

chaosblade said:
GAME has been canceling orders to the US for this game. Not sure if that's changed at all over the last few days.
Damn. That really sucks. Guess still no buy. Oh well. I guess I just have to hope the better then expected reception for Xenoblade will cause Nintendo of America to reconsidere The Last Story. No way Xenblade is coming out. I always felt The Last Story (was looking more forward to this then XB to be honest) would be an easier sell in North America due to the art style, a seemingly darker tone, cover system, and that they could easily use the tag line "From the creator of Final Fantasy" in advertising and on the box. Guess we'll have to see what happens after Skyward Sword is out.

Gvaz

Banned
Xenoblade isn't coming to the US, and it's also better than the last story. Just try getting them from somewhere else.

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
chaosblade said:

Gamestation canceled my order but GAME shipped a few days after I placed the order once I had cleared with my bank that the charge was valid. I think BoA nixed the first order without asking thinking it was illegitimate.

Shipped a week ago today, supposed to take 4-6 business days according to their site. Sadly no tracking once it leaves the UK so I don't know when it'll arrive -- just entered the arrival window so hopefully soon.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if GAME is shipping it out now then that's good. Plus there are other places to order it. TheHut group (TheHut, Zavvi, ASDA Entertainment) looks like it should be avoided after the issues people
RPGCrazied
had. Looks like Shopto and 365games are out of stock. Not sure what the other options from the UK are, but you could look into French/Italian/Spanish/German sites. But your packaging won't be in English :p

RPGCrazied

Ugh. I got some of those quests now, thanks guys. Can't get the key cause it was guarded by a 93 unique.

I finally hit 73 and tried to fight again;
Disciple Lady, at least I can harm her, but got her to almost half before it was to much. "You will pay with your insolence!" Damn, I can't wait to say that next.

ivysaur12

Banned
I must be an idiot, but I need help on Bionis' Leg.

How do I get to the
Zax Guidepost? I'm on the part with the high level Gogol, but I can't find out how to get to the 2nd tier.

Gvaz

Banned
ivysaur12 said:

How do I get to the
Zax Guidepost? I'm on the part with the high level Gogol, but I can't find out how to get to the 2nd tier.
North west in the area where you fought the mechon

ivysaur12 said:

How do I get to the
First off, you're hardly an idiot -- the Bionis' Leg is huge, and it's easy to get disoriented.

Second, I'm not quite sure what you mean;
the Zax Guidepost is in the northwest of the area, on the second "level". If you follow the path from the Raguel Bridge and take a right at the fork, you should end up on the second level of the Leg (you may have to sneak past some Mechon on the way). From there, just head to the northwest of the map -- the guidepost is at ground level.

If you mean that spiral rock formation with the level 90 Gogol, then there is a quest that allows you to access the top of it from below, in the Windy Cave.

Zwei

Anabuhabkuss said:
I could have sworn you shared your shipping experience with me and got it already. :(

You'd be correct. I got the CCPro bundle in late August and decided to keep it sealed.

Now, I await my vanilla copy so I can actually play! :)

ivysaur12 said:
I'm basically trying to find Traveler's Rest so I can do the quest to get the lost Nopon. Thanks guys!
Oh, well if you haven't found it already:
Due south from the Zax Guidepost or due west from the spiral rock. There should be holes all around, and the Nopon can't be missed if you run around for a bit.

I fucking hate it when Shulk repeats every second word he gets told in the cutscenes.
what a clueless piece of shit

person X:" It's the Monado!"
Shulk:"the Monado!?"

person X:"it feels so strange to me"
Shulk:"strange!?...to you?!"

sometimes I wish Reyn would woop his ass for every stupid derp answer

ivysaur12

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
Oh, well if you haven't found it already:
Due south from the Zax Guidepost or due west from the spiral rock. There should be holes all around, and the Nopon can't be missed if you run around for a bit.

Yup, found him and the other guy. Thanks!

I also take back what I said before when I said the affinity map seemed to be a bigger, more shallow version of Clock Town. While I don't expect anything nearly similar to the Anju and Kafei quest, there's surprising amount of characterization in these quests.

I also was hoping for more Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos cameos at this point, but oh well. Maybe a costume change?

Hiltz

What's this I hear about finding a
replica Monado?
Is this part of the story or do you just find it on your own through quests ? I'm at
Central Factory
and still have the original one. I think the story has just started to hint about this when
Shulk is in that cutscene that shows him floating in space, listening to a voice that tells him to find "his" Monado.

ivysaur12 said:
Yup, found him and the other guy. Thanks!

I also take back what I said before when I said the affinity map seemed to be a bigger, more shallow version of Clock Town. While I don't expect anything nearly similar to the Anju and Kafei quest, there's surprising amount of characterization in these quests.

I also was hoping for more Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos cameos at this point, but oh well. Maybe a costume change?
I don't think the sidequests in this come anywhere near most of the ones in Majora's Mask in terms of character development, but then again I'm kind of quirky when it comes to stories and characters in video games. It also doesn't help that the character design in Xenoblade (for both the main characters and the NPCs) is pretty bland, in my not-very-humble opinion.

And I don't think this is much of a spoiler, but I'll put it in tags anyway:
if you want more Baten Kaitos, you're just going to have to wait for the third game along with the rest of us. There aren't any cameos. :-(

Edit:
Hiltz said:
replica Monado
?
Just keep playing, you'll find out what's going on in a few hours. It's made very clear to you as part of the storyline.

Gvaz

Banned
Hiltz said:
replica Monado?
Is this part of the story or do you just find it on your own through quests ? I'm at
Central Factory
and still have the original one. I think the story has just started to hint about this when
Shulk is in that cutscene that shows him floating in space, listening to a voice that tells him to find "his" Monado.
Hahaha I keep forgetting you're only like 75% of the way through

ivysaur12

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
I don't think the sidequests in this come anywhere near most of the ones in Majora's Mask in terms of character development, but then again I'm kind of quirky when it comes to stories and characters in video games. It also doesn't help that the character design in Xenoblade (for both the main characters and the NPCs) is pretty bland, in my not-very-humble opinion.

And I don't think this is much of a spoiler, but I'll put it in tags anyway:
if you want more Baten Kaitos, you're just going to have to wait for the third game along with the rest of us. There aren't any cameos. :-(

Sigh. At least we were teased with
WHAT LOOKED LIKE DIADEM ON THE GROUND GIVE ME BATEN KAITOS 3DS/3WIIUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

RPGCrazied said:
Damn that boss is a bitch even at it's level, any tips?
The right gems go a long way. Use status-blocking gems, use Shulk's skills if you're using him,
I think, though I'm not certain, that Melia's Mind Blast can seal her arts,
, so you can use that, too.

RPGCrazied

SecretMoblin said:
The right gems go a long way. Use status-blocking gems, use Shulk's skills if you're using him,
I think, though I'm not certain, that Melia's Mind Blast can seal her arts,
, so you can use that, too.

I never use Melia. :p Am I suppose to go after the adds first?

Top Bottom