• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

May I have some vague help please, I've just reached
Alcamoth and Melia has been sent to the tomb
. I have only looked at one quest so far but I noticed that it is timed. Are all the quests in this area timed and how long do I have before they expire? Should I do them before
chasing Melia to the tomb
?

Still really enjoying this game, but damn, the Breezy Zolos and Shimmering Forte gave me hell to find, mainly because I didn't branch out enough in the area. :S

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
sammyCYBORG said:
. I have only looked at one quest so far but I noticed that it is timed. Are all the quests in this area timed and how long do I have before they expire? Should I do them before
?

Still really enjoying this game, but damn, the Breezy Zolos and Shimmering Forte gave me hell to find, mainly because I didn't branch out enough in the area. :S
You have plenty of time before those quests expire.

sammyCYBORG said:
?

As you might imagine, that's a pretty common question asked (given the situation) and don't worry, you've still got a lot of time before all timed quests at A
lcamoth
expire. More pricesely, they expire once you've beaten the
6-7th
area after your current point.

chaosblade said:
You have plenty of time before those quests expire.
Aveyn Knight said:
As you might imagine, that's a pretty common question asked (given the situation) and don't worry, you've still got a lot of time before all timed quests at A
lcamoth
expire. More pricesely, they expire once you've beaten the
6-7th
area after your current point.
Thank you! Guess I shall go
rescue Melia
! I want her back in my party.

Finally beat this at level 83, I murdered the final boss by
spamming Monado Shield, having Sharla doing her healing thing and auto attacking him to death
. As for the ending -- well, at least it wasn't as out there as I suspected at some point. What a ride, in a perfect world, this would sell millions of copies and be considered a definite classic. Even without the awe-inspiring environments, the gameplay and variety would still be pretty damn amazing.

I know there's still a lot of content left, but I decided to quit for now, I was spending far too much time playing this! Still gonna sit down and follow the "attract" mode until it repeats, which I've never done before.

Oh yeah, speaking of
Lorithia
, how are you supposed to stop her from taking so little damage? I tried Purge a bunch but always got the "Immune" response. In the end, I beat her by leveling up a bunch. Or could it be that my "Purge" ability was underleveled?

magicalsoundshower said:
Finally beat this at level 83, I murdered the final boss by
spamming Monado Shield, having Sharla doing her healing thing and auto attacking him to death
. As for the ending -- well, at least it wasn't as out there as I suspected at some point. What a ride, in a perfect world, this would sell millions of copies and be considered a definite classic. Even without the awe-inspiring environments, the gameplay and variety would still be pretty damn amazing.

I know there's still a lot of content left, but I decided to quit for now, I was spending far too much time playing this! Still gonna sit down and follow the "attract" mode until it repeats, which I've never done before.

Oh yeah, speaking of
Lorithia
, how are you supposed to stop her from taking so little damage? I tried Purge a bunch but always got the "Immune" response. In the end, I beat her by leveling up a bunch. Or could it be that my "Purge" ability was underleveled?

Purge doesn't work on her. The only way to deal more damage to her is to beat those Nebulae around her which is easier with Ether (so Melia, Riki, Shulk with Monado Cyclone. I beat her with Cyclone.). The more you beat, the more damage you can do. Still an annoying boss even with Ether though.

I'm in the final stretch of the game story wise at the final dungeon. A lot of quests I still need to do require me to be much higher leveled...I'm only 79.

mclem

Dascu said:
Seeing how the speed of the people playing can vary quite a bit, it might be better to mark your spoilers with a level indication instead. I mean, there's people who beat the game at the 70h mark, and others that aren't even halfway at that point. Saying what level you're at is perhaps a better way to mark your progress. Unless some lunatic grinds to level 99 in Colony 9, of course.

Saying what level the (standard) *enemies* are roughly at negates that problem.

Duderz

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I tweeted at Honne and told him GAF wanted a new Baten Kaitos. He's following me now.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

Also, linked Soraya Saga to the thread. She says thanks for the love.

That's pretty awesome.

But you should've asked for another Xenoblade!

Vyse The Legend said:
Heading to London in a few hours. I'm considering picking this up while I'm there. What's this retail for in the shops? I don't want to be ripped off.
I don't live there, but I think the "standard" retail price is £30. If the variability in online retail prices is anything to go by, you should be able to find it for cheaper if you shop around.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
]not to be a debbie downer, but does satorl march ever end? I hate this place, been grinding here for hours and hours.
Yeah, the Marsh was the first genuinely boring area for me. Boring layout, boring enemies, and even though the place had pretty colors at night, the fog and the same-ness of everything made the game drag on.

It gets much better once you leave, though!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I got a bit bored around 40 hours in and havent returned to the game in 3 weeks :(

I just felt no emotion for the characters as I couldn't view any of the handshakes so I didn't give a shit about them.. so I started just grinding for items but given how crap the quest system is in just telling you where to go (arrow on map please) I gave up :(

I really wanted this to hook me too :( 40 hours should be enough story to hook me but it didn't and aghhh

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why did you start grinding if it was starting to bore you, instead of advancing the main story..?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Never grind. With all the easy quest available, I never found the need.

I've found a nice balance between advancing the story and then taking a couple of hours and going back to side quest. I actually enjoy the 'simplistic' nature of the combat; it feels rewarding, but without a lot of typical jRPG stress.

Xelinis

Nostalgia~4ever said:
not to be a debbie downer, but does satorl march ever end? I hate this place, been grinding here for hours and hours.

Really? It's GORGEOUS at night, could never get enough of it.

Gvaz said:
Yeah, stop questing and just do the story...

Also don't grind.
Seriously. Run from A to B, fight anything that attacks you in your path. No more "grinding" than that necessary.

Level 40-ish now, about 30 hours in, about to unlock some sort of gate to
Prison Island
The part with Melia on her own was very useful, because I had no idea how to use her summons up to that point.

Going to go sidequesting on the next opportunity, no matter how weird it seems from a story perspective! Great game, best RPG of the generation I think.

OK, just beat the game. Good ending
(dat atheist ending)
, liked the twist and it made sense. Answered the questions I had but have a few more (kinda off story):

1. So Prison Island descended into the Bionis' Interior...so wait the Bionis has some red sky inside it or what? lol.

2. Does the name "Zanza" have a meaning?

And not really a question, just pondering, but I wonder
what kind of crazy technology they had in the real world, and what year that was, that allowed them to destroy and recreate the universe. Damn. And who actually funded this experiment?

Still not done with the game. Still a lot of quests and the high level UMs to go...

Edit: lol, I read up more and had my two major questions answered. Well, still those two...

Meier

For the life of me, I can't seem to start out the Colony 6 renovations. Juju just keeps telling me they haven't heard from the guy. Very frustrating as I am now at the
Eryth Sea
and I feel like I should be able to do stuff on it (Colony 6) by now.

Meier said:
For the life of me, I can't seem to start out the Colony 6 renovations. Juju just keeps telling me they haven't heard from the guy. Very frustrating as I am now at the
Eryth Sea
and I feel like I should be able to do stuff on it (Colony 6) by now.

Go to Colony 6 and there will be a new area there that was once sealed at the top level. You'll eventually hit the town and Otharon will be there. He'll give you a quest then to beat some bunnies at Raguel Bridge. After that, talk to Juju.

Meier

Bel Marduk said:
Go to Colony 6 and there will be a new area there that was once sealed at the top level. You'll eventually hit the town and Otharon will be there. He'll give you a quest then to beat some bunnies at Raguel Bridge. After that, talk to Juju.
Hah, I'm an idiot. I went back to the entrance but then turned it off the other night and then forgot to explore it again after. Thanks!

kunonabi

I'm really enjoying the characters, story, music, etc but the quests are freaking boring and there are tons of them. I'd skip them but I don't want to miss the affinity levels and skill tree stuff.

Nert

I just reached the
the capital of Mechonis
at level 66 and I've been having a lot of success with the Riki/Shulk/Melia party composition. I stacked a lot of Aggro Plus gems on Riki, and went for as many chain attack related skill links as I could afford. The damage output feels outrageous, and I end up being in the middle of a chain attack constantly. Being able to do Mind Blast -> Chain Attack -> Mind Blast is really fun, and Riki can heal the whole party to full health with his AoE heal.

I haven't played an RPG that's encouraged me to tinker with the battle system and characters this much in a whi... maybe ever.

(Some of
Fiora's
armor models are horrendous, what were they thinking)

Nert said:
I just reached the
the capital of Mechonis
at level 66 and I've been having a lot of success with the Riki/Shulk/Melia party composition. I stacked a lot of Aggro Plus gems on Riki, and went for as many chain attack related skill links as I could afford. The damage output feels outrageous, and I end up being in the middle of a chain attack constantly. Being able to do Mind Blast -> Chain Attack -> Mind Blast is really fun, and Riki can heal the whole party to full health with his AoE heal.

I haven't played an RPG that's encouraged me to tinker with the battle system and characters this much in a whi... maybe ever.

(Some of
Fiora's
armor models are horrendous, what were they thinking)

Speed Frame :p

Nert said:
Maybe not characters, but FFXII was a tinker-er's dream.

One of the things I haven't really liked about the move away from turn-based battle systems is that it usually robs the player of a significant level of control, in favor of more action-based gameplay. It's why I still cling to the "archaic" systems of games like Etrian Odyssey, which have insane levels of stat and skill tinkering.

Monolith could have easily made the game without any skills at all (and called it "streamlining"), but the inclusion of various skill trees and skill links gave the game a really nice level of depth. I would have preferred a gambit-like system, but hey, there's always the sequel...

About the seventh character: Personally, I thought
she was really creepy with that high-pitched voice of hers, that robotic body and that dead-eyed dollface, so I never used her much.
*_*

Gvaz

Banned
magicalsoundshower said:
About the seventh character: Personally, I thought
she was really creepy with that high-pitched voice of hers, that robotic body and that dead-eyed dollface, so I never used her much.
*_*
It's the same voice as before, except she now has mayneth inside her

Bel Marduk said:
OK, just beat the game. Good ending
(dat atheist ending)
, liked the twist and it made sense. Answered the questions I had but have a few more (kinda off story):

1. So Prison Island descended into the Bionis' Interior...so wait the Bionis has some red sky inside it or what? lol.

2. Does the name "Zanza" have a meaning?

And not really a question, just pondering, but I wonder
what kind of crazy technology they had in the real world, and what year that was, that allowed them to destroy and recreate the universe. Damn. And who actually funded this experiment?

Still not done with the game. Still a lot of quests and the high level UMs to go...

Edit: lol, I read up more and had my two major questions answered. Well, still those two...

for the final question, noone knows, But I love to think that it all happened into a not too distant future

about
Zanza, I found something

"Zanza" comes from Zanbato, an enormous Japanese sword used by a character in the Rorouini Kenshin manga
http://fanpitstop.comlu.com/sanosuke/biography.html

slang for LSD

African musical instrument

a WOW character

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Alextended said:
Why did you start grinding if it was starting to bore you, instead of advancing the main story..?

because I wanted to do the colony 6 rebuild, and get character relations improved.. but to no avail (that and I was weak as piss)

HolyCheck said:
because I wanted to do the colony 6 rebuild, and get character relations improved.. but to no avail (that and I was weak as piss)

Even the residents at Colony 6 will tell you to "take a break" if you're struggling with materials ;)

Don't worry so much about the colony. It's not going anywhere and you can't completely rebuild it until near the end of the game anyway. Just keep going in every so often and find out if you can give them something. There's no real incentive to grind either as the EXP awards are significantly reduced once you pass their level.

As for affinity, have you tried gifting collectibles?

Ok I just reached Eryth Sea. And even after having seen it in videos and pics before, I couldn't help but drop my jaw to the floor. What on earth did they do to make this kind of vistas possible on Wii. I mean even Makna Forest was amazing, but more due to the density of vegetation and the amazing waterfalls, but Eryth Sea... hot damn...

Monolith Soft are giving Retro Studios a run for their money in tech and design.

I cannot wait to see what Monolith Soft can do with Wii U. Shit's going to be ridiculous.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
HiddenAway said:
Even the residents at Colony 6 will tell you to "take a break" if you're struggling with materials ;)

Don't worry so much about the colony. It's not going anywhere and you can't completely rebuild it until near the end of the game anyway. Just keep going in every so often and find out if you can give them something. There's no real incentive to grind either as the EXP awards are significantly reduced once you pass their level.

As for affinity, have you tried gifting collectibles?
What's really nice is that it scales both ways, it seems that a lot of games that diminish experience of lower level enemies don't do that. Killing enemies with yellow tags (you generally can't hit ones with red tags) give a ton of experience, especially uniques. And late in the game you should be able to easily take out anything within your level range.

SecretMoblin said:
I don't live there, but I think the "standard" retail price is £30. If the variability in online retail prices is anything to go by, you should be able to find it for cheaper if you shop around.
More like £35-£40. Europe doesn't have set RRPs (well NOE don't declare them anymore as a way of being able to change the wholesale costs and deny any responsibility for high street prices changing) and online places end up basically selling at wholesale cost (a warehouse and some envelopes are a bit cheaper to run than a high street store).

You'll be hard pushed to get £30 for a new copy on the high street. Used copies are currently more in the £30-£40 range (pawn shop like places as in CeX being nearer the £30 and GAME being nearer the £40 see; Gamestop charghe $5 less for used).

Luigiv

SecretMoblin said:
Maybe not characters, but FFXII was a tinker-er's dream.

One of the things I haven't really liked about the move away from turn-based battle systems is that it usually robs the player of a significant level of control, in favor of more action-based gameplay. It's why I still cling to the "archaic" systems of games like Etrian Odyssey, which have insane levels of stat and skill tinkering.

Monolith could have easily made the game without any skills at all (and called it "streamlining"), but the inclusion of various skill trees and skill links gave the game a really nice level of depth. I would have preferred a gambit-like system, but hey, there's always the sequel...
I dunno, whilst I think the AI is perfect, I don't feel a gambit-like system is the right answer for improving them. Maybe if the sequel has a selection of different pre-set AI types for each character or something.

Actually, maybe you could set priorities and/or conditions for each equipped art or something. I guess that counts as gambit-like.

McNum

Ah, finally got time to finish this, I hope. But just to be sure, I'd like to double check that I am, in fact, ready for the final battle.

(Endgame spoilers)
So Dunban is warning me that using this transporter will be the point of no return. I appreciate that the game actually DOES hit you with a clue-by-four that, yes, this is the final battle coming up. Very polite. I took out that dragon, although not as one-sided a fight as I wanted. Which means I'm worried about Dickson and Zanza coming up, since they've got to be meaner than a no-name blue dragon boss.

My characters are all levels 76-77, and I have Mondao Armour (but not Eater) for Shulk. The armor is the best I've have dropped, and my usual team is Shulk, [open], Sharla. Dunban is good for physical bosses, so I'm thinking him on Team Dickson. Usually, named bosses are easier when you use the character they relate to in the story, I've found. I might go with Fiora on the final boss, as she makes setting up Chain Attacks easy.

Anyway, is level 77 good enough to be able to hit the final boss, or should I go punt some wildlife? If so, where do I get from 77 to 80 the fastest?

I do expect to go a few rounds against the endgame bosses before beating them, though. Seems to be the way of things with the story fights. Oh, reminds me, if I die against the final boss, where do I respawn?

I'd like to finish this tonight. So from entering that transporter and to seeing the main menu again, how long does that take? Don't want to run into a Metal Gear situation late in the evening, if you know what I mean.

Well, can anyone give a few quick tips on that?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
McNum said:
Ah, finally got time to finish this, I hope. But just to be sure, I'd like to double check that I am, in fact, ready for the final battle.

(Endgame spoilers)
So Dunban is warning me that using this transporter will be the point of no return. I appreciate that the game actually DOES hit you with a clue-by-four that, yes, this is the final battle coming up. Very polite. I took out that dragon, although not as one-sided a fight as I wanted. Which means I'm worried about Dickson and Zanza coming up, since they've got to be meaner than a no-name blue dragon boss.

My characters are all levels 76-77, and I have Mondao Armour (but not Eater) for Shulk. The armor is the best I've have dropped, and my usual team is Shulk, [open], Sharla. Dunban is good for physical bosses, so I'm thinking him on Team Dickson. Usually, named bosses are easier when you use the character they relate to in the story, I've found. I might go with Fiora on the final boss, as she makes setting up Chain Attacks easy.

Anyway, is level 77 good enough to be able to hit the final boss, or should I go punt some wildlife? If so, where do I get from 77 to 80 the fastest?

I do expect to go a few rounds against the endgame bosses before beating them, though. Seems to be the way of things with the story fights. Oh, reminds me, if I die against the final boss, where do I respawn?

I'd like to finish this tonight. So from entering that transporter and to seeing the main menu again, how long does that take? Don't want to run into a Metal Gear situation late in the evening, if you know what I mean.

I found the boss you just beat to be significantly harder than anything ahead, for the record.

Edit: But you still might want to level up a bit, I know people have had trouble around your level. I think I was 79 going in. Don't remember the best spot though... might try the kromers at Eryth Sea?

I also have a really dumb question. Why does it seem like some of the stats on equipment don't line up?

I have Oriental Glasses on Shulk, they are unique and the gem doesn't provide any defensive bonuses (Initial Tension). It has 110 Physical defense, 120 Ether. When I'm going through my equipment, the Lancelot Gear has better defense in the stats (114 physical/125 ether) but when it shows the stat adjustment, my stats drop by 15 points. Why is this?

McNum

chaosblade said:
I found the boss you just beat to be significantly harder than anything ahead, for the record.

Edit: But you still might want to level up a bit, I know people have had trouble around your level. I think I was 79 going in. Don't remember the best spot though... might try the kromers at Eryth Sea?
I'm addicted to +HP Gems. Anything with AoE attacks can bring it. I just mistimed a Monado Shield and had to recover from that.

This is the part where I should have kept tabs on just what level those "Eep! Must avoid those!" enemies all over the game were...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
McNum said:
I'm addicted to +HP Gems. Anything with AoE attacks can bring it. I just mistimed a Monado Shield and had to recover from that.

This is the part where I should have kept tabs on just what level those "Eep! Must avoid those!" enemies all over the game were...
My problem was I wasn't using any spike defense at the time, and purge didn't negate the enemy spike ability. It probably would have been easier if I'd just lost/given up and reset my gems, but I plowed through it taking a ton of spike damage.

In particular, Fiora had a hard time since her whole deal is extremely rapid attacks + tanking, so she was eating a ton of damage.
I'm honestly not sure how I won that fight :lol

GC|Simon

I reached
Valak Mountain
. I'm near to that tower or whatever it is. Game time: Exactly 33 hours. Level 47.

I really love this game. Lots of variety. Colony 9, that cave, leg of Bionis, mines, etc., etc. The trip feels like a real adventure. And a pretty long adventure. Great :)

McNum said:

I had some trouble with the final boss at lvl 82 till I brought in Sharla and used Shulk as my main and I also had Dunban. Lvl 77 is probably a little low, grind to 80-81 at the final dungeon. There's actually a few enemies you get to fight before the final boss and you level up from them (1-2 levels) so you should be fine by then. Use EXP gems to make this easier.

McNum

chaosblade said:
My problem was I wasn't using any spike defense at the time, and purge didn't negate the enemy spike ability. It probably would have been easier if I'd just lost/given up and reset my gems, but I plowed through it taking a ton of spike damage.

In particular, Fiora had a hard time since her whole deal is extremely rapid attacks + tanking, so she was eating a ton of damage.
I'm honestly not sure how I won that fight :lol
We are talking about the big blue dragon, yes? It had Spike? I didn't notice. That would explain why Fiora got hurt so much, but as long as heal rate exceeds hurt rate, it's all good. And Sharla was working overtime. I might also have Purged it a few times, I throw that out once in a while since an unused talent gauge is a waste, but an empty one is dangerous. Oh, and I do slot Spike defense, got a Spike Defense V on Shulk and Dunban. Figured the final boss might be nasty with those.

Any good spot to go from levels 76 to 80? I don't want to be at too great a disadvantage in the endgame.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
McNum said:
We are talking about the big blue dragon, yes? It had Spike? I didn't notice. That would explain why Fiora got hurt so much, but as long as heal rate exceeds hurt rate, it's all good. And Sharla was working overtime. I might also have Purged it a few times, I throw that out once in a while since an unused talent gauge is a waste, but an empty one is dangerous. Oh, and I do slot Spike defense, got a Spike Defense V on Shulk and Dunban. Figured the final boss might be nasty with those.

Any good spot to go from levels 76 to 80? I don't want to be at too great a disadvantage in the endgame.
The dungeon you're in is probably the best area for now if you can't kill the Kromers yet. Can't think of any areas with high-70s enemies.

Dynedom

McNum said:

Warp to the Bionis Leg and find your way onto the rock formations above Raguel Lake. You'll find some bunnits there which you should be able to grind. Once you reach a high enough level, you can either take on the Gogols that are slightly northwest of the North End of Raguel Bridge or take on the Quadwings and Feris at night in Satorl Marsh. Just be careful not to piss off a Rhogul at night in Satorl. I believe they're much higher in level (close to 90).

McNum

Dynedom said:
Warp to the Bionis Leg and find your way onto the rock formations above Raguel Lake. You'll find some bunnits there which you should be able to grind. Once you reach a high enough level, you can either take on the Gogols that are slightly northwest of the North End of Raguel Bridge or take on the Quadwings and Feris at night in Satorl Marsh. Just be careful not to piss off a Rhogul at night in Satorl. I believe they're much higher in level (close to 90).
Oh, right. Those mushroom shaped rocks on the Bionis' Leg, right? I remember those. I was wondering if there was anything good there, anyway.

Zomba13

McNum said:

(Endgame spoilers)

I've just quit after god knows how long trying to beat the last boss. Everything up to him was easy. I can beat part 1 but not part 2. I was under 77 when I got there but leveled to 77/78 by the time i got to the last bit. I can't hit him most of the time but when I use Riki and Melia I can get him to 50% easily until he does something that changes the environment. I think I need to level up some more before trying again. There was a youtube vid ( I googled in case I was missing some way of beating him) and the guy in that was 80 and didn't have much trouble (he used Shulk, Sharla and 7th).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I just went and beat all the 100+ enemies except Abaasy. And with the right gems I'd say they are too easy, which is pretty disappointing. Only one that puts up any sort of fight is the bunnit one (
Seems he has some sort of topple resist, I had trouble keeping it down
). I'm sure the last one will be pretty tough though, going to get some blaze resist gems before I dive into it.

Zomba13 said:
I've just quit after god knows how long trying to beat the last boss. Everything up to him was easy. I can beat part 1 but not part 2. I was under 77 when I got there but leveled to 77/78 by the time i got to the last bit. I can't hit him most of the time but when I use Riki and Melia I can get him to 50% easily until he does something that changes the environment. I think I need to level up some more before trying again. There was a youtube vid ( I googled in case I was missing some way of beating him) and the guy in that was 80 and didn't have much trouble (he used Shulk, Sharla and 7th).
As with any other enemy, you need to be within his level range to do damage reliably or boost your agility/hit rate way up with skills+gems. A couple levels and you can probably take him out without much trouble as long as you're gems/skills are set up decently.

Top Bottom