• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

McNum

So, common opinion is "Possible, but unlikely to beat the final boss at level 77"? Well then, time to prune the wildlife.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Can someone help me with the
quests for the fourth
skill tree from Reyn?

I already have Hoko, Pokapoka and Macrish emigrated to Colony 6, but Hoko wont give me the quest. I am currently 3 areas after Valak Mountain (Just to be safe no area name, might be a spoiler within a spoiler).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Toma said:
Can someone help me with the
quests for the fourth
skill tree from Reyn?

I already have Hoko, Pokapoka and Macrish emigrated to Colony 6, but Hoko wont give me the quest. I am currently 3 areas after Valak Mountain (Just to be safe no area name, might be a spoiler within a spoiler).
You need to move Talonyth, a High Entia.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
chaosblade said:
You need to move Talonyth, a High Entia.

Grah. Thanks dude. Btw, am I the only one who thinks games should provide some ingame hints about these things? Like there were tons of books in Dragon Quest, some of which might contain information about recipes.

I remember encountering a NPC at A
lcamoth
who talked about T
alonyth
, not sure if that's close enough. That's what triggered me to search online to find him.

Rich!

Right so uh, this is random - but this is the best thread for it, really!

I was bored tonight. I've ripped the soundtrack from my copy of Xenoblade a while ago (from USB, in ADX format) to listen to whenever I want. I decided to have some fun with it.

Converted a load to BRSTM format (used by Nintendo developed Wii games) and then shoved some into Super Mario Galaxy 2, replacing the tracks already there. Put that image back together, and put onto my USB, loaded on Wii.

Yeah that's right. Hearing Gaur Plains in the first area of Mario Galaxy 2 is absolutely incredible. Haha. Set the bowser level as the Prison Island theme
the second one, just before Zanza

I'll get videos when I can. It weirdly fits. It'll be fun to try it with Skyward Sword.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
richisawesome said:

I was bored tonight. I've ripped the soundtrack from my copy of Xenoblade a while ago (from USB, in ADX format) to listen to whenever I want. I decided to have some fun with it.

Converted a load to BRSTM format (used by Nintendo developed Wii games) and then shoved some into Super Mario Galaxy 2, replacing the tracks already there. Put that image back together, and put onto my USB, loaded on Wii.

Yeah that's right. Hearing Gaur Plains in the first area of Mario Galaxy 2 is absolutely incredible. Haha. Set the bowser level as the Prison Island theme

I'll get videos when I can. It weirdly fits. It'll be fun to try it with Skyward Sword.

Youtube videos, please.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
richisawesome said:

That's actually pretty fitting, I'd imagine. Galaxy generator had some pretty intense music and it worked for that stage.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What level are you? I killed him at 99 for the first time today, but with Topple Plus, Spike Defense, and Agility gems plus agility and chain-related skill links I found it very easy. It's probably possibly several levels lower, only dangerous part was getting the initial topple in. Farmed him a while for those Night Vision gems, which were really useful for the next strongest enemy.

Didn't bother with Melia for the 100+ enemies, although I might have to for Abaasy for the wind summon/agility bonus. Hope not, because I like maining Shulk for these for proper management of the Monado arts.

Darkman M

Yeah I thought I'd give her a try for that, I've been running shulk, duban, and 7 as my main team. Gonna try again with my main team. Lv 99 team btw.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Same team I used for a lot of the post-game stuff, you shouldn't have any trouble with any of the level 100+ (except maybe Abaasy since I haven't gone after him yet) as long as your party is well equipped/linked.

JJD

Man...I'm getting a little burn out on the game.
I've played 56 hours, I'm currently at lvl. 52 just reached Valak Mountain.
I've done every side quest I could find until now...is it OK if I just start skipping then?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
JJD said:
Man...I'm getting a little burn out on the game.
I've played 56 hours, I'm currently at lvl. 52 just reached Valak Mountain.
I've done every side quest I could find until now...is it OK if I just start skipping then?

For the love of God, yes.

I've been skipping most of them, and then spending a couple hours going back to them later when I'm much higher level. Makes them go faster, and allows me to explore regions a bit. And it would drive me out of my mind if I did all side quest I came across right away.

JJD

EvilMario said:

I've been skipping most of them, and then spending a couple hours going back to them later when I'm much higher level. Makes them go faster, and allows me to explore regions a bit. And it would drive me out of my mind if I did all side quest I came across right away.

Lol, I have this kind of problem in almost all side quest heavy games...and I always end burn out on then...

Guess I'll stick to the storyline quest for a good while now!

Clevinger

EvilMario said:

I just grab every quest as soon as I can and then inadvertently complete about half of them as I go through the levels.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Clevinger said:
I just grab every quest as soon as I can and then inadvertently complete about half of them as I go through the levels.

Exactly. A lot of the collection quest / monster quest just complete on their own through the course of the game. Way too many people burning out on side quest when it's really not required. I'm not sure if my OCD will kick in, or not when it comes time for the final 'timed' quest to be completed. I maybe have to spend a few hours cleaning those up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People make a big deal about the timed quests when they really should not.

1. The first set of timed events? You choose when they go off.

2. The second set of timed events? Not really a whole lot of them as that area doesn't have a quest hub!

3. The third set of timed events? Really late in the game. Literally two zones before the end. Not only that but the majority of the end game quests give rep for that zone anyways!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Darkman M said:
Yeah I thought I'd give her a try for that, I've been running shulk, duban, and 7 as my main team. Gonna try again with my main team. Lv 99 team btw.

chaosblade said:
Same team I used for a lot of the post-game stuff, you shouldn't have any trouble with any of the level 100+ (except maybe Abaasy since I haven't gone after him yet) as long as your party is well equipped/linked.

I always think Shulk, Dunban, and 7 with Shulk with the lead is the most ideal and 'safe' team to tackle the high level monsters, provided you adorn and link them with all the correct skills + gems. Yes, even and especially against Abassy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't know about safest, but that is probably the best damage you can get.

Melia in the lead and taking out seven is also pretty good for the added agility up you can get and the fastest topple in the game.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just made my way through Makna Forest.

God. Damn.

also lol'd as as I
made my way to LEVEL 91 HUGE ASS TRICERATOPS/T-REX MUTANT DINOSAUR
. Ahhhh!

Dynedom said:
Warp to the Bionis Leg and find your way onto the rock formations above Raguel Lake. You'll find some bunnits there which you should be able to grind. Once you reach a high enough level, you can either take on the Gogols that are slightly northwest of the North End of Raguel Bridge or take on the Quadwings and Feris at night in Satorl Marsh. Just be careful not to piss off a Rhogul at night in Satorl. I believe they're much higher in level (close to 90).
If by bunnits you mean the White and Dark Hoxes on the couple of platforms, I found trying to grind by killing lots of them incredibly tedious as they have a certain attack that will make you swear like a pirate captain unless you keep on spamming Shield and are lucky. I've found taking out the Gogols you mentioned a lot easier as they don't seem to be able to do a whole lot even if you are like five levels below them, unless they manage to completely surround you. Yep, I admit it, at one point I got tired of doing quests and simply felt like doing some old-fashioned grinding.

5t8xt.jpg

It was glorious.

Dynedom

magicalsoundshower said:
If by bunnits you mean the White and Dark Hoxes on the couple of platforms, I found trying to grind by killing lots of them incredibly tedious as they have a certain attack that will make you swear like a pirate captain unless you keep on spamming Shield and are lucky. I've found taking out the Gogols you mentioned a lot easier as they don't seem to be able to do a whole lot even if you are like five levels below them, unless they manage to completely surround you. Yep, I admit it, at one point I got tired of doing quests and simply felt like doing some old-fashioned grinding.

My bad, they're Hoxes not Bunnits. Nonetheless, I usually lured 1 at a time when I was at a much lower level. Going in against a gang of 2 is usually a bad idea, I know. I also don't remember spamming shield but I do remember healing a lot (and I think using shield bullet). I don't remember if shield bullet actually worked.

I think my grinding locations basically went something like this:

Low to Mid 70's: Bions' Leg (Windy Cave for the caterpillars and vangs)
Mid to Late 70's: Bionis' Leg (Above Raguel Lake for hoxes and north of the bridge gogols)
Late 70's to Early 80's: Satorl Marsh at night (Quadwings, Feris and Gogols)
Early to Mid 80's:
Alcamoth (Arel then Aora then Asara telethia)
Late 80's and Above:
Tephra Cave (almost every fucking thing in there in the newly opened area)

Late 70's/Early 80's grinding kinda blended together for me. Basically, as soon as monsters in a "next-up" region came out in Yellow, I would attack them with some exceptions (I found some monsters absolutely brutal in Yellow, especially if they ganged up).

McNum

Dynedom said:
My bad, they're Hoxes not Bunnits. Nonetheless, I usually lured 1 at a time when I was at a much lower level. Going in against a gang of 2 is usually a bad idea, I know. I also don't remember spamming shield but I do remember healing a lot (and I think using shield bullet). I don't remember if shield bullet actually worked.
No, not Shield Bullet, Shield, as in the Monado power. They have a talent that's one hell of a knockback. On small platforms over a lake. Do the math, then spam Shield.

I managed to get a few levels off those, then went to Satorl Marsh and went Quadwing hunting. I managed to aggro about 10 of those at the same time, can't really recommend doing that, but I won. Also, why avoid the Rhogul? They're good XP at levels 84-85 and they just hit hard, don't seem to have any dirty tricks. Now the Green Fenris, THOSE you want to avoid if there are more then one, or they'll tear you apart faster then you can says Ultra Combo VIII.

Anyway, that's for the tips, got everyone to level 80 and saved just next to the point of no return. The final boss is going down next. I hope.

Dynedom

I usually positioned myself well enough when fighting the Hoxes to not get knocked off. I think in all the battles I did with them, one of my party members only got knocked off once (which was annoying as hell).

In Satorl, I think it's better to avoid the Rhoguls if you're low 80's (i.e. when they're still showing up as Red). The only reason I mentioned that is because I somehow triggered one to attack me and it nearly wiped me out. =\ Ugh. When you get them to a Yellow danger level, I don't remember them being an issue at all.

Yes, the Feris are absolutely annoying, even at a Yellow danger level (that's one of the monsters I was referring to). I found that taking on even just 2 of those things rage-inducing.

manzo

So, I started the game yesterday. Had to finish Alan Wake on 360 before connecting my Wii to the projector. I haven't used my Wii after Muramasa.

I played the game for 3 hours and I can already tell this will be the best story-driven JRPG this generation.

I started with the Japanese soundtrack and switched mid-session to English just for shits and giggles... and I ain't switching back. The British accent sounds too damn awesome (except for Fiora's jumping clip, sounds like she's taking a huge shit) when compared to the original JP track. Since the subtitles also follow the English dub/translation, having the subs on and playing in Japanese is pretty damn distracting. It was easier to just listen to the Japanese and disable the subtitles.

Also: WAT A BANCH OF JOUKAAHS / MÖNAAADOU

manzo said:
(except for Fiora's jumping clip, sounds like she's taking a huge shit)
Wait till you hear
Melia
's jumping clip - it's strangely arousing!

I'm really enjoying this game but I think I'm gonna have to stop playing if for a while. I was actually hoping to finish this before Skyward Sword comes out but at the rate I'm going (70 hours, L48, Sw
ord Valle
y) I just don't think I can do it unless I skip out on the side quests and affinity shit which I actually quite like and want to complete. I'll probably try and do the next section or so and then take a clean break from this game for a while. :(

mclem

Reyn has the best jumping sound effect. ALLEY-OOP!

I've been thinking about the risks of overlevelling in Xenoblade, and I wonder if it'd be worth borrowing an idea from WoW which would be beneficial.

As people have often said, the biggest issue with level differences is chance to hit; if you're of extremely high level, the enemy can barely hit you; if the enemy's of high-level, you need to stack a ton of Agility to have a reasonable shot. While the latter's fine, the former is a real problem since it makes some significant story battles ridiculously trivial.

World of Warcraft has a similar mechanic - level determines hit chance, it's a lot easier to hit an enemy of your level or below than one several levels above you. However, key bosses sneakily circumvent this; there's a special 'level', 'Boss' level (or 'skull' level, given that's how it's displayed). Enemies of that level are defined as having a level *three levels above you*; hit chance calculations are always based around that metric.

(Mild final boss spoilers - although in terms of mechanics, not in terms of identity or ability)

The final boss being marked as level ??? made me wonder if that's already happening behind the scenes; I suspect it isn't, though, unfortunately.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man God said:
I don't know about safest, but that is probably the best damage you can get.

Melia in the lead and taking out seven is also pretty good for the added agility up you can get and the fastest topple in the game.

Well, in my opinion it is the safest since by controlling Shulk, you have total reign over the Monado usage. Appropriate usage of Monado speed/armor/shield really ease things up.

Reyn is so underrated.
Whenever he's in my party he saves my ass numerous times. The AI acts pretty good actualy.

I'm near death with shulk, suddenly Reyn-tank sreams BERSEERKK, goes completly nuts and
Lariats
the hell out of the enemy(s) giving my shit. Also "Last Stand" is IMO the most awesome and badass art in the entire game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
iamaustrian said:
Reyn is so underrated.
Whenever he's in my party he saves my ass numerous times. The AI acts pretty good actualy.

I'm near death with shulk, suddenly Reyn-tank sreams BERSEERKK, goes completly nuts and
Lariats
the hell out of the enemy(s) giving my shit. Also "Last Stand" is IMO the most awesome and badass art in the entire game.
Dunban has pretty much the same art as Last Stand, under a different name. Reyn has his uses (generally against big groups of enemies) and the AI is better with him than most characters (him and the 7th character are probably the two the AI is best with). But his damage output is kind of low and against small mobs/single enemies he's outclassed by Dunban and the 7th character since they need less healing and deal a lot more damage.

Also, I hate these Laias and their greed with blaze resist shards.

spidye

iamaustrian said:
Reyn is so underrated.

Lariats
brofist.jpeg

he is in my team too. who needs dunban?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Beat Abaasy, that was a bit of a challenge compared to the other 100+ enemies.

I think it's time to move on to Dark Souls now, but man this game has been a blast. Wish I could go into it blind again.

Wiseblade

Laughing Banana said:
Well, in my opinion it is the safest since by controlling Shulk, you have total reign over the Monado usage. Appropriate usage of Monado speed/armor/shield really ease things up.
I've found AI shulk will throw down armour pretty consistently, and once I got the "Monado recharge after a vision" skill I felt a lot more comfortable having him as a support character.

McNum said:
No, not Shield Bullet, Shield, as in the Monado power. They have a talent that's one hell of a knockback. On small platforms over a lake. Do the math, then spam Shield.

I managed to get a few levels off those, then went to Satorl Marsh and went Quadwing hunting. I managed to aggro about 10 of those at the same time, can't really recommend doing that, but I won. Also, why avoid the Rhogul? They're good XP at levels 84-85 and they just hit hard, don't seem to have any dirty tricks. Now the Green Fenris, THOSE you want to avoid if there are more then one, or they'll tear you apart faster then you can says Ultra Combo VIII.

Anyway, that's for the tips, got everyone to level 80 and saved just next to the point of no return. The final boss is going down next. I hope.

That lvl 85 Feris near Barren Moor is good for leveling at lvl 84-85. There's also two nearby Feris that are lvl 83-84 that are good too. Not that dangerous. You just have to stay away from Veteran Yozel and his lvl 79 mob. Another option is
Alcamoth
and taking on the lvl 86
Telethia
. They have little HP compared to the Feris too. Lvl 88-90 of them too for later.

The Hermit

iamaustrian said:
Reyn is so underrated.

Lariats

Yeah, gotta admit, after learning how to play with Melia and being surprised by how awesome Riki is, Ryan is not in my party at all... I think I´ll try Dunban, Ryan and Sharla next time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Bel Marduk said:
That lvl 85 Feris near Barren Moor is good for leveling at lvl 84-85. There's also two nearby Feris that are lvl 83-84 that are good too. Not that dangerous. You just have to stay away from Veteran Yozel and his lvl 79 mob. Another option is
Alcamoth
and taking on the lvl 86
Telethia
. They have little HP compared to the Feris too. Lvl 88-90 of them too for later.
Alcamoth
is great for leveling up almost all the way through the 80s. You just need to make sure Shulk is around for Purge and Shield.

Then
Tephra Cave
is good for the 90s, but really any monster close to level 100 will do fine. I got a lot of my experience from 94ish to 99 from Deinos Sauros in Makna Forest.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anabuhabkuss said:
I need to get back to this. Almost been a week since no play. Kinda feeling the burn out, too as much as I love it.

Currently hit a wall fighting
Mumkar at Valak Mountain

It's the only boss fight that gave me a little trouble, having to try it three times before beating him. He takes off a bunch of HP pretty easily, so I just used Sharla / Riki / Shulk to weather the damage.

I didn't finish on Sunday like I wanted, but I did make enough process to be pleased with myself. I've once more decided to go back and complete a bunch of unfinished side quest which is mostly holding me back from the final stages of the story.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So I made the great decision to start a session for "just a few minutes" at around 1:00 am last night while I was
in my second visit to Central Factory on my way to the Core
even though I had to get up by 8 for work this morning. Three and a half hours go by and hoooooly shit. Shit just got real.

A lot of what went down was somewhat expected and/or predictable, but the execution was pretty great and well executed with some nice twists and subversions. The story rarely takes over completely in this game, but when it does it is thankfully pretty bad ass.

CoolS

So, I've been doing a bit of endgame stuff today and now on level 80. Haven't steped foot into the last dungeon yet, and I think I read that 80 is a good level for tackeling the last boss?

I am, as alway, torn on the sidequests and the story. I want to do a lot more sidequests, especially since I know there is a lot I haven't seen and done yet. But on the otherhand I also want to finish it to make time once the eventual games flood starts. But I fear if I finish it now, I will never do the endgame content :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
CoolS said:
So, I've been doing a bit of endgame stuff today and now on level 80. Haven't steped foot into the last dungeon yet, and I think I read that 80 is a good level for tackeling the last boss?

I am, as alway, torn on the sidequests and the story. I want to do a lot more sidequests, especially since I know there is a lot I haven't seen and done yet. But on the otherhand I also want to finish it to make time once the eventual games flood starts. But I fear if I finish it now, I will never do the endgame content :(
Good level for it. Don't get much higher or it might end up being too easy. You'll probably gain at least a level or two just in the last dungeon. And remember that once you go past that point of no return at the end that's it, you can't continue after the final boss. So if you want to do a NG+ save do it in a separate slot.

Edit: If you just do all the possible sidequests you'll be insanely overleveled. A lot of the things that open up after
Mechonis Core
will require you to be level 90+ which is way too high for the final dungeon/boss. You'll breeze through it.

Ledsen

Wiseblade said:
I've found AI shulk will throw down armour pretty consistently, and once I got the "Monado recharge after a vision" skill I felt a lot more comfortable having him as a support character.

wat

WAT

WAT

Top Bottom