• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delio

YlM3ajV.jpg

A kiss to you thread.

Kjellson

I heard that there is a mission in the game that maxes the affinity of the three characters you're with. Does anyone know the name of that mission so I don't accidentally beat it with high-affinity characters?

Jims

Just discovered that you can't change Soul Voice for the other party members. Was kind of a bummer, since I've been noticing me and Elma don't get along that well in battle anymore ever since becoming an Astral Crusader. She calls for a lot of melee arts, and most of my best attacks are ranged. I've been leaving a sole melee art sitting around my toolbar just so I can answer her calls, but I feel like I'm wasting a spot. I think I need a 4th with good ranged voices for balance.

Also discovering that this game is making me way more paranoid than I should be. I found Roowey Cavern in Oblivia during the pre-Chapter 6 affinity quest. And I'm wandering down this narrow corridor and find inside cavern with rosy red rocks and lit up platform, and I'm looking all over the place like a crazy person. I feel like I'm going to be jumped at any moment every time I go in a cave.

Squishy3

Is there a decent spot to grind around 35ish or should I just explore and do quests while I wait for money to creep in to buy the rest of my skells and outfit them

I spent so much time working for the ability to change my character's appearance, but now that I have it, I've grown satisfied with how she looks. Oh, the irony. Ended up just changing her height to the max and removing the dumb tattoo from her face.

Infinite

I'm not deep in the character stats systems, so I can't offer too much help there, but here are a few things to note about the main battle systems to pay attention to in the early game if you're switching from Xenoblade:

- Art colors are changed up a bit; red is generally assigned to melee arts, yellow to ranged arts, blue to Auras, green to buffs/healing, and purple to debuffs. It's good to give most characters a mix of many different kinds of arts.

- When a teammate calls out advice mid-battle, look at the color of the text box and use an art of the corresponding color to trigger Soul Voice. This will trigger a certain kind of effect (heal party members, topple enemies, etc.) depending on what the character called out. Your character will occasionally call things out for the other characters to respond to as well.

- Toppling is still a thing (briefly disables an enemy/allows you to do more damage), but it isn't assigned to an art color; look at the descriptions of each art to see which ones can topple. There's a related status effect called Stagger (similar to Break from the last game, can be inflicted by certain arts/Soul Voices) that makes it easier to topple enemies. There's no Daze equivalent this time around.

- You can destroy enemy appendages this time. There's a small circle gauge that appears next to enemies when you aim at them from certain angles. This shows how much damage it'll take to destroy that appendage. Destroyed enemy parts usually give you materials and sometimes weapons when you defeat the enemy.

- Switching targets is really wonky compared to the last game; I haven't figured out a way to get around this.

- The game really strongly encourages you to chain arts in certain ways this time around. When an art says it's boosted by being part of a melee/ranged "combo," it means the art will become more powerful when used as the follow-up to an art of the specified type.

- Each character has a class, with assigned ranged/melee weapon types for each class. Most characters start with a predetermined class, but you can switch your main character's class at any time, and there's a class tree for your character (with three main branches). You get different arts as you level up each class; some arts can be carried over between classes.

- You can (and should) level up arts. Go into the Party -> Arts menu and highlight any art icon with the cursor, then press X. You'll have to spend Battle Points (BP) to do this. It typically makes them stronger/extends the duration of their effects, just like in the old Xenoblade.

- You can also gain passive effects from boosting your classes, called Skills (similar to the Affinity Skill Trees from the last game) that can also be leveled up with BP (also by highlighting the skill's icon with the cursor and pressing X) to improve their effects. Make sure you stack all your characters with skills that are suited to their role in battle/the enemies you're up against.

- Augments replace Gems in this game. Most gear comes with its own preset augments (which can vary between each piece of gear, but can't be changed), but sometimes gear will have slots that you can add your own augments to. (Highlight the gear in the menu and press X.) You can also level up the augments attached to your gear by using up monster parts (letting you get Ranged Attack VI augments pretty early on instead of at endgame/only by using the gem furnace like in the first game).

- In general I've noticed that preset augments will often offer boosts that outweigh the standard stats benefits that come with equipping higher tier gear, although this might not be so prevalent once I get gear with more slots/more augments to stick in those slots.

Those were most of the huge adjustments to the battle mechanics for me. I'm still not really that concerned with lots of the stats (I don't even know what Potential does atm honestly) but if I run into a major difficulty wall I'll start prying open the hood like I did in the first game.

edit:

You can spot this by looking for a green circle bar that fills in once an art is available to use. It'll usually only fill while you're auto-attacking using the weapon of the corresponding type (melee or ranged).

There's a lot (which is why I assume you're confused), but I'll try.

Progression:
1. Each of your party members has a character level and a class level. There's also BLADE level, but this doesn't impact combat. Your character becomes more powerful as they level and can equip higher leveled gear. Raising class level lets you learn new arts and skills.
2. Earn BP. You earn BP by doing lots of stuff like opening treasure, doing missions, etc. Spend BP on arts and skills to increase their effectiveness and reduce cooldowns. Make sure you level up the arts & skills you use the most.
3. Optimize equipment. Don't use the auto equip best function, it's terrible. What abilities are attached to each weapon make a huge different. Each piece of equipment can be upgraded a total # of times based on it's rarity. The info screen will show how many upgrades remain. If the equip has an empty slot you can slot augments into it.
4. 10 is the max class level for player characters. At this point you should move on to another class. Arts are tied to weapons so you won't be able to use Repair (a drifter knife art) unless you move into Enforcer. And once that's maxed you'll need to move to Psycorrupter to keep using the Drifter and Enforcer knife skills. So each time you max a class you need to consider what you'll lose by switching. However once you complete a full branch (in this case Drifter>Enforcer>Psycorrputer>Mastermind) you'll be able to use that class's weapons (and by extension arts) with any other. So the eventual goal is to mix and match arts and skills from different classes to optimize your build.

Combat:
1. Make use of secondary cooldowns. On the art screen you can see what effects the secondary cooldown has. Usually it increases damage/ effect, lets you use it again immediately, or other stuff.
2. Make use of multipliers. Many damage multipliers seem to be multiplicative so stack as many as possible. If you've got arts that are melee/ranged combos, follow up with the correct art type that has a high % scaling.
3. Make use of soul voices. As the player you can customize your loadout a bit, but NPCs have set soul voices. This isn't as critical as some of the other advice, but try to select characters you can respond to well. As in, if you're going melee don't use someone that has largely ranged soul voices. And while activation is somewhat random, they usually trigger on specific occasions like someone's health getting low or breaking a bodypart. If you know what triggers them, you're more likely to react in time. And sometimes when things line up perfectly you can stack other mulitpliers with a soul voice.
4. Position yourself around the sides or back of the enemy for greater effectiveness.
5. Break enemy body parts. This not only gives you a chance for more or specific drops, it also can prevent enemies from using certain arts and can trigger a soul challenge.

That's what I can think off from the top of my head. I'm playing a Galactic Knight so most of my insight is from that perspective, as in I'm all melee and live and die by the crazy damage spikes my combos can do.
Thanks guys.

A little confused on combos and multipliers. How do I start a combo even?

MrPanic

Lost 4 skell insurance against that that global enemy today, I'm done with that nonsense for now.

I think I haven't hit the perfect upon losing my skell even ones so far, I hit perfects on soul voices all day except when it really matters. Really starting to dislike this whole insurance mechanic.

Is there any way I can level up my class quicker? I started on the beginner friendly class and wanted to work my way down so I can mix and match all the weapons if I want. However, I'm now on rank 8 for the Shield/Gatling Gun class and a good chunk through the game and I am realizing how slow mastering a weapon class rank is.

Ferrio

Banned
Is there any way I can level up my class quicker? I started on the beginner friendly class and wanted to work my way down so I can mix and match all the weapons if I want. However, I'm now on rank 8 for the Shield/Gatling Gun class and a good chunk through the game and I am realizing how slow mastering a weapon class rank is.

Grind monsters around your level.

zroid

Banned
Which would result in more available storage:

1) Booster probe adjacent to 3 storage probes
2) 3 linked storage probes, 1 adjacent to a booster probe

Jesus Christ not even the crystal blatta are giving me decent EXP. What the fuck happened. Why did the game stop giving crazy EXP for high level easy enemies at this point now? It was working before when I was fighting forfax.

Ugh I'll never get to 50 this way. There must be an easy kill high exp somewhere out there.

Jesus Christ not even the crystal blatta are giving me decent EXP. What the fuck happened. Why did the game stop giving crazy EXP for high level easy enemies at this point now? It was working before when I was fighting forfax.

Ugh I'll never get to 50 this way. There must be an easy kill high exp somewhere out there.

I used the lvl 60 crocodiles in Noctilum 207, they're in the water ahead of you. 3 of em and they're very weak. I got my levels up pretty fast with that. Maybe that would work for you?

Edit: Uuuh, behind you from the warp point actually. Hunter Dilus they're called.

El Odio

Banned
Chapter 7 spoilers:
I don't know if it was because I spent basically 10 hours doing unintentional grinding or because there was hardly anything to do but I finished it all in like 10 minutes. Was surprised that the fight against what's her face seems to have actually ended with her death instead of an escape as usual.

Whats a good level to tackle chapter 8 at? I'm currently 31 with everyone else somewhere between 26-28.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Which would result in more available storage:

1) Booster probe adjacent to 3 storage probes
2) 3 linked storage probes, 1 adjacent to a booster probe
Do this and you get 100k storage. The challenge is to find enough duplicator probes. Not too hard if you do all the normal missions.

DS49BpB.png

Zomba13

Oh my god is Joker broken. Who wants to be level 60 and have all of the level 60 weapons in like 5 minutes?

Man, what a bunch of Jokers.

Do this and you get 100k storage. The challenge is to find enough duplicator probes. Not too hard if you do all the normal missions.

DS49BpB.png

can I get 100k if I'm 1 duplicator and 1 storage short? Or is it set out in a way to just barely give you the 100,000 storage space?

I used the lvl 60 crocodiles in Noctilum 207, they're in the water ahead of you. 3 of em and they're very weak. I got my levels up pretty fast with that. Maybe that would work for you?

Edit: Uuuh, behind you from the warp point actually. Hunter Dilus they're called.

Tried them but if you don't kill them fast enough they do crazy amount of damage and kill th skells fairly fast. Plus i don't recall them giving all that much EXP the few I did kill.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

FN Site 106 in Primordia. Kill the enemies there for fast XP.

can I get 100k if I'm 1 duplicator and 1 storage short? Or is it set out in a way to just barely give you the 100,000 storage space?

I had 100500 after doing the exact same thing. It's difficult. You need 9 storage probes, 4 duplicator probes and 2 booster probes. None of them are too hard to get. I had most of them by just playing the game.

Also go to Oblivia spot 307. There's a small cave nearby with a chest that contains a duplicator probe. I think it's 4 mechanical, not sure.

Kjellson

Holy shit.

Thank you for this.

Welp, got my skell destroyed in its second battle.

I got a "perfect" on the B prompt, but I have no idea how to recover it? I can change the paint job in the blade barracks, so it seems to still exist...

JulianImp

I got a "perfect" on the B prompt, but I have no idea how to recover it? I can change the paint job in the blade barracks, so it seems to still exist...

Log into the barracks hangar from the terminal that's next to the kitchen, and make sure you haven't unassigned the skell by mistake. That happened to me and somebody else in this thread and we were looking for our skells for a while until we realized what was wrong.

If the skell's still assigned to your character and you don't have to pay to salvage it, then it should be right outside the barracks as soon as you exit them (or somewhere close to you if you warp to any other location).

I was able to beat the game using just level 30 skells (and even one level 20 skell). By the last battle, I had no skells left really except my character's and it was out of fuel until the end lol. I died a lot and had to switch back to a previous maxed out class to beat it, though. Galaxy Knight FTW always and forever~

Overall.. I enjoyed the game, but imo, it was nowhere near as good as the first Xenoblade and a large part of that has to do with the characters and story. The gameplay was fun, world was absolutely amazing, skells were awesome... music has its moments (of being both good and bad)... But uhh, the story never really went anywhere super interesting or had great twists... well, it had two decent twists (one happening early in the game) and the other toward the end, but even still, it definitely has the worst story of all the Xeno games which is unfortunate since it did so much else right.

End game spoilers:

So I guess they had a sequel in mind when they made the game? The ending is sequel-bait to the extreme. Also, Elma looks awesome at the end. Totally has that KOS-MOS thing going for her, lol. For a split second when she appeared, I thought the story was going to somehow link back up with Xenosaga 3, lol.

Tried them but if you don't kill them fast enough they do crazy amount of damage and kill th skells fairly fast. Plus i don't recall them giving all that much EXP the few I did kill.

I dunno, but they dropped like flies for me. But I used E-Scythe and G-Buster 2 and such. If you use regular weaponry it's probably too slow, yeah. The whole thing about those is that you kill em really fast and then just use the warp to reload em again. Maybe there's better enemies out there though.

Log into the barracks hangar from the terminal that's next to the kitchen, and make sure you haven't unassigned the skell by mistake. That happened to me and somebody else in this thread and we were looking for our skells for a while until we realized what was wrong.

If the skell's still assigned to your character and you don't have to pay to salvage it, then it should be right outside the barracks as soon as you exit them (or somewhere close to you if you warp to any other location).
It's not warping with me. It gave me a message about being replaced, but I can't find it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Just use the blade console in the barracks and go to the hangar menu. You will see something like "Insurance has replaced your skell". If you did it perfectly then it will be replaced free of cost.

JulianImp

It's not warping with me. It gave me a message about being replaced, but I can't find it.

Then you've probably unset it by mistake. Go to the barracks hangar menu, register it to anybody but the character you had it on and finally register it to your MC again. That's what I did and it worked for me.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
I kind of hated the touchy motorcycle Skell turning at first but now that I'm used to it, it's really fun to drift around collecting items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom