• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Cloudy

Banned
I'm just being conservative here, though I can't see how it can be anything less than best RPG on the Wii period.

Aren't there like 10 rpgs on the wii total and less if you just count the ones that don't suck? I see posts like these and I'm starting to think the hype for this game is undeserved because Ninty-only gamers rarely get rpgs lol

Still, I pre-ordered and hopefully I'm wrong :D

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Mind telling me what was so great about her character or the area where you got her?

It's fine you don't like her, but if you have any deceny you should go back to your previous post and spoiler tag everything you said about why you didn't like her.

I'm past that point in the game but I might've been upset if I had read your post.

ajim

Whilst I'm in Aus and have already played the hell out of Xenoblade, you guys should probably lay low on the spoilers. Spoilers can really ruin the experience of this game greatly. I'm glad I stayed out of most Xenoblade threads until I made it mostly through, and when I did venture into threads I was very cautious.

Hope all you US folk really enjoy this game as much as I did.

It's fine you don't like her, but if you have any deceny you should go back to your previous post and spoiler tag everything you said about why you didn't like her.

I'm past that point in the game but I might've been upset if I had read your post.

You'd be upset because I said things that would basically be in a manual and because I mentioned one part of how your walk around a level?

ok. Fine whatever.

Firemind

Mind telling me what was so great about her character or the area where you got her?

That isn't what you said. You said she's the worst party member, as if implying her combat capabilities, and that her arrival, which is in
Makna Forest
, is the worst part of the game.

But I'll bite regardless. She's as much of a great character as everyone else. You accuse her of being a trope and yet somehow ignore that pretty much everyone in the game is a trope of some kind.

What sets her apart from your average princess is one of the plot twists that follows later in the game. If there's one character you feel the most for, it's her. If you don't like her, that's your prerogative, but she's a better fleshed-out character than most.

The part where you get to play as her is very clearly a tutorial to show and to ease you in on her vastly different combat functionality (ie you release her arts, they're stackable and releasing them builds up her talent art). It isn't particularly long, so saying it's the worst part of the game isn't particularly noteworthy.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
listening to weekend confirmed right now and man they are killing this game :(

Wow listening to it right now. This chick talking about it is really uninformed about the game. She's a Xenogears super super fan and shes really disappointed that the game isn't Xenogears 2 and the story isnt as "serious" as Xenogears when it comes to religion and psychology, etc. She says it's a mix between Monster Hunter and Almalur. She says she'd enjoyed it a lot more if it just wasn't called Xeno. She also doesn't like the camera. She likes the music.

Garnett still sounds really excited about the game, his expectations that it's a cross between different type of JRPGs. Hes defending the graphics, seems more level headed.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
You'd be upset because I said things that would basically be in a manual and because I mentioned one part of how your walk around a level?

ok. Fine whatever.

Dude you mentioned a very specific thing that about that character that isn't revealed to you right away, even though it is obvious. I'm not trying to give you a hard time... Just be overly cautious. What you're describing only someone who has played the game know what you're talking about. This is a thread where really nobody has played the game. Just spoiler anything that is remotely related to characters and story and locations. That's reasonable.

That isn't what you said. You said she's the worst party member, as if implying her combat capabilities, and that her arrival, which is in Makna Forest, is the worst part of the game.
Hmm not really. It really dosent say which way that I'm talking about. It just says I'm not talking about supporting characters, just the cast your playing with. I dont really care about her in combat.

But I'll bite regardless. She's as much of a great character as everyone else. You accuse her of being a trope and yet somehow ignore that pretty much everyone in the game is a trope of some kind.
I said they avoid annoying tropes, not that they aren't them. Shulk may be a trope, but he avoids being the weak "i have to get stronger" male lead because his character seems to have some inventiveness, something not always seen in jrpg leads. Same thing with Ryen, dumb best friends been done everywhere, but Ryen is just so enduring in his loyalty.
What sets her apart from your average princess is one of the plot twists that follows later in the game. If there's one character you feel the most for, it's her. If you don't like her, that's your prerogative, but she's a better fleshed-out character than most.
I didn't find any of that twist to be interesting at all and the game kept hitting over the head which how it was trying to set up the emotional issues they were going to try to tug. I got that she really cared for her people in spite of all the obviously stated issues she had to face. So the beats were just so predictable that they were boring. I actully cared more about her brother, because well instead of being the usual "I"m jealous of my half-sister taking my kingdom and I want it" he was actually a nice guy.
She's fleshed out, well ok, the mere fact dosent make her actually good.

The part where you get to play as her is very clearly a tutorial to show and to ease you in on her vastly different combat functionality (ie you release her arts, they're stackable and releasing them builds up her talent art).
Doesn't make it good. You had to do tutorials for all the characters. They weren't in boring places.

It isn't particularly long, so saying it'
s the worst part of the game isn't particularly noteworthy.
It's about as long as any other area of the game, maybe longer as your there past her story beats as well. Plus even longer if you chose to do side stuff. And the fact the differences in how the level is laid out may run counter to how someone may like the areas is a pretty big deal. Is'nt noteworthy? So under this logic I'm not allowed to say any other part is bad? I guess no one is ever allowed to make a statement about an RPG's dungeon or level is the low point of a game because it may not take up the same amount of time compared to other parts. Wait that doesn't make actual sense. But beyond that the game had incredible momentum with it's story and the game's story stops to give us her story time, which sure will be important later, still felt like I had to push through to get back to the main story.

Which had nothing to do with Jenna Louise Coleman's quality as a voice actress. You don't like Melia. We get it.

ok? I'll make sure to never start talking about characters of games in the official threads of the games they are in ever again.

Oh wait thats stupid. But I'm such a rebel for talking about important aspects of a game in it's official thread

Jr's these days.

Yeah I did post that to get a reaction, a reaction which would lead to talking about the fucking game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
ok? I'll make sure to never start talking about characters of games in the official threads of the games they are in ever again.

Oh wait thats stupid. But I'm such a rebel for talking about important aspects of a game in it's official thread

Jr's these days.

Dude, you need to ignore the trolls. I think you made your point why you don't like her, it's clear and well reasoned. [She] It just didn't suit you, that's fine, don't let people give you a hard time about it.

I personally thought that the
Entia Sea
area was really cool. I enjoyed being able to look across the map from a high place and see 'something" off in the distance and then being able to go over to it. But yeah it is so expansive and that does really slow the pace of the game down because it takes soooo long to travel across it, and my first ten minutes in the area figuring out how to navigate that area was a bit confusing and mildly frustrating.

I think her story and her area that she's introduced and ends up in is good for the pace of the game, so that the game isn't on GO GO GO the entire time. It's nice to have lows in the story and take a 'side quest' to go more into a character's background. Now whether you enjoyed that character's background, that's up to you. Sounds to me like you would've preferred her whole thing to just be one side quest, so you can get on to the rest of the game.

I don't know, the older I get and more games that I play it's very easy to nitpick anything in a video game, especially in a JRPG where it's made for a specific audience. I understand your points about the character - and I can definitely see where you're coming from. But it's not going to be a widely held opinion, and that's okay.

Gregorn

I want to comment on the ending but I can't word it in a way that'll leave people with no expectations for it.

Is there any information about a possible sequel/prequel?

Dude, you need to ignore the trolls. I think you made your point why you don't like her, it's clear and well reasoned. It just didn't suit you, that's fine, don't let people give you a hard time about it.
Wow you're such a nice poster, especially after I was a dick about the whole spoiler thing. So now I feel bad. So please accept my apology.

I personally thought that the
Entia Sea
area was really cool. I enjoyed being able to look across the map from a high place and see 'something" off in the distance and then being able to go over to it.
I think it looks cool, but then you go into
Alcamoth and it looks cool from the outside and some of the outside garden stuff looked cool. Further inside was a bit of a letdown. It was just kind of big and bland and inside is just like big brown columns of boring. Can't really remember, but I did kind of want some sort of cool cityscape. It actually started to speak to the "wallpaper backgound" complaint that some have. It was cool to be high up in the city and see the world though. Scale is the best part of the world, but I did kind of want more from when I saw it from outside. And to be honest I'm a bit of an idiot when I'm exploring. I get confused by you know which transporters go where and stuff. So I get to this area and I see we have to use them to get around and I'm like ehh. While nothing about it was exactly bad, I can't say it was fun to walk around, felt more like a hassle to figure out where I was going.

I think her story and her area that she's introduced and ends up in is good for the pace of the game, so that the game isn't on GO GO GO the entire time.
It true that you need space in between all the big events when it comes to pacing. So it makes sense for them to do it, but I still just kind of found it uninteresting.

Firemind

I'm the one who's trolling? Okay.

To be perfectly clear, I'm not giving you a hard time for not liking Melia. I was just amused when you brought up that post and implied she's the worst member combat-wise. Other people were confused what you meant by it as well. Now that your stance has been explained to be solely on her character, that's reasonable.

The rebel comment was kind of a jab at this:

In the end this overhyping of the game is going to make me just dislike it.

Don't take it as a personal insult.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
It true that you need space in between all the big events when it comes to pacing. So it makes sense for them to do it, but I still just kind of found it uninteresting.

It's an 80 hour game, there will be unwhelming parts of the game. I think what makes this game so so great is the ratio of awesome:boring in a game this big and ambitious.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
WTF so I just spent all morning exploring the
eryth sea
and all of a sudden I check the local map and ALL of the map is all of a sudden fully uncovered! How the hell does that happen? There is literally not one black uncovered space. Is this a glitch or some trick to have the game auto uncover the map for you? Or maybe because I spent like two hours exploring the game felt sorry for me?

WTF so I just spent all morning exploring the
eryth sea
and all of a sudden I check the local map and ALL of the map is all of a sudden fully uncovered! How the hell does that happen? There is literally not one black uncovered space. Is this a glitch or some trick to have the game auto uncover the map for you? Or maybe because I spent like two hours exploring the game felt sorry for me?

no, it happens when you find every area on a map. Say there's 12 points of interest in a region, you find them all and map goes full clear

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
no, it happens when you find every area on a map. Say there's 12 points of interest in a region, you find them all and map goes full clear

Oh shit I had no clue, awesome!

There was a great guide on how to play Melia in the other OT, is there a guide on how to best use Heropon? I haven't invested a single point into his skills yet, want to know where t spend them first. Also, about what level does it take for Melia to do some great great damage? I'm at Lv45 with her, and she's not as good as my other two. I know I need to get Elect Plus (whatever) to up to a very high percentage to get her to do that, but about what level should I be so that I start over powering?

What the freak? I sense that someone is talking shit about Melia here! In my book, that's one of the things that you just don't do. You're a bad person, I hope you at least know that.

edit
OK, that's it! I read the posts! You. Me. Hammers. At Dawn. Killer Yakuza B demands satisfaction!

zroid

Banned
I might just save my copy unplayed for my WiiU if it has BC

The current understanding is that it won't be upscaling Wii games. Or did you want to play the game on the tablet controller? That's closer in native reso to 480p :p

Not actually sure yet whether Wii games will be playable on the tablet screen though.

Ultratech

There was a great guide on how to play Melia in the other OT, is there a guide on how to best use Heropon? I haven't invested a single point into his skills yet, want to know where t spend them first. Also, about what level does it take for Melia to do some great great damage? I'm at Lv45 with her, and she's not as good as my other two. I know I need to get Elect Plus (whatever) to up to a very high percentage to get her to do that, but about what level should I be so that I start over powering?

As for the almighty Heropon, this is what I normally do:
Equip all of his Ether arts (Burninate, Freezinate, Lurgy), Bitey Bitey, and spam the hell out of those abilities and watch the enemy's HP drop like crazy.
Also, make sure to equip appropriate gems to increase damage.

Other useful skills:
-Happy Happy (Free Party Gauge fill-up)
-Hero Time! (Prevents Tension loss in small AoE range, increases one of Riki's stats randomly)
-Roly Poly (Attempts to force Topple; if not, then it forces Bind)
-You Can Do It (AoE Straight Line heal; increased healing if targets have Debuffs)
-Peekaboo (Side hit confuses Mechon enemies)
-Tantrum (3-hit combo; inflicts Break in a frontal cone in front of Riki)
-Say Sorry (Removes Debuffs from enemy; does highly increased damage for each additional Debuff on the enemy)
-Riki is Angry! (Reflects non-Talent Art damage by a random factor of 2, 4, or 8)

Everything else not listed is purely situational.
"Sidekicks do good!"

The Hermit

Too bad she voiced the worst party member. Who's arrival was the worst part of the game as well.

The first part is clearly wrong, she was the most developed character of the game after Shulk and she is the strongest character of the game.

The second part is well... if you didn't like
Makna or The nopom tribe
, the you have no soul and I feel bad for you

The first part is clearly wrong, she was the most developed character of the game after Shulk and she is the strongest character of the game.
The second part is well... if you didn't like
Makna or The nopom tribe
, the you have no soul and I feel bad for you
Can you imagine what sort of empty, meaningless lives they must lead? I get depressed just thinking about it. And then I get angry again, so I try not to. Luckily, I can just look at my avatar and everything is peachy again. But they... they have to live with their sins.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe you people are trying to imply that Melia isn't the best character.

I'm more partial to 7th myself, as far as usefulness. Deals ridiculous damage that can match Melia, while also functioning as a good tank (not quite as good as Dunban, but close). Plus there is the benefit of 7th being good under the AI, while Melia pretty much requires the player to control her in battle to be effective. Only real downside is the lack of ether arts.

Firemind

Melia is exceptionally easy to use though. All you have to do is Summon Flare, Summon Bolt, Summon Bolt, Spear Break, Starlight Kick, release, release to deal massive damage. Add Electric Plus x2, Ether Up x2, Topple Up and/or Topple Plus and she's unstoppubol.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, I know Melia isn't hard to use, if you want to use Shulk for Monado arts in some circumstances, you pretty much have to ditch Melia entirely since the AI is not going to be effective.

And one thing I forgot to mention is the wonderful self-healing skill combo you can set up with 7th, which makes tanking all that much better.

TDLink

Melia is OP from the beginning provided you know what to do with her. Are you stacking her spells properly? Also, I bothered less with the specific element buffs and instead opted for stacking Ether Up gems. It is important to note that the AI has no idea what to do with her and thus she really is only good if you are controlling her.

Riki can play any role...which is why he is awesome. No matter what role you want him to be though (Support, Tank, or Damage-dealing focused) I think there are a few key abilities you want to take on him that are support oriented even if you don't want him in the support role just because they are that good. Those would be "Happy Happy" and "You Can Do It!". Happy Happy will make it so you essentially have infinite party gauge, which leads to many more options in battle and the ability to more freely use chain attacks. You Can Do It! is a great heal that can honestly keep the entire party up just fine (thus foregoing the need to have a dedicated healer on the team if you want). It will also supplement a healer should you choose to take one.

For his damaging abilities I would prioritize taking Tantrum (damaging combo + AoE break), Burninate (good AoE damage), and Lurgy (AoE poison). I am -not- a fan of Freezinate since it is not AoE...instead take Roly-Poly which will either topple or bind the opponent which will more or less get you the same effect but if they are toppled it is better. I like Say Sorry! as well but it is definitely situational. Having it in your lineup for when that situation arises though will make you even more of a powerhouse than normal. I would also probably take Bitey Bitey for the bleed damage even though it is single target. Plus since it bleeds if you are also taking Dunban it can set up some of his "after Gale Slash" requirements.

So yeah, I would say You Can Do It, Happy Happy, Burninate, Tantrum, Lurgy, Roly-Poly, Say Sorry!, and Bitey Bitey are the optimal build (at least in my eyes).

Hope this helped!

RDreamer

This game has got really hard on me all of a sudden

I'm in sword valley and I can't for the life of me do some of these quests that are popping up. 3rd Gate Front Line and the Secure the Radio Tower quests just kick my ass and take my name. It's not even close to a good fight. Am I supposed to be higher level or something? I would save this stuff for later, but I saw somewhere that you have to complete these things on your first time through this because they'll get locked out

TDLink

I'm in sword valley and I can't for the life of me do some of these quests that are popping up. 3rd Gate Front Line and the Secure the Radio Tower quests just kick my ass and take my name. It's not even close to a good fight. Am I supposed to be higher level or something? I would save this stuff for later, but I saw somewhere that you have to complete these things on your first time through this because they'll get locked out

Did you buy the anti-mechon weapons from Dickson at the start of the area? If not then use Shulk, Melia, and Riki as they will be the only ones able to do damage to the enemies there without Shulk's Monado Enchant ability (which isn't always up).

TheExodu5

Banned
I never got around to finishing the game. Got to the area with the huge waterfalls.

Take my advice: skip the vast majority of the sidequests. They will burn you out on the game.

RDreamer

Did you buy the anti-mechon weapons from Dickson at the start of the area? If not then use Shulk, Melia, and Riki as they will be the only ones able to do damage to the enemies there without Shulk's Monado Enchant ability (which isn't always up).

Yeah, I bought them and have everyone equipped with them. But these things seem like they're too high of a level for me. I'm level 51 and that thing for the radio tower is 55. Am I really somehow undereleveled that badly?

TDLink

Yeah, I bought them and have everyone equipped with them. But these things seem like they're too high of a level for me. I'm level 51 and that thing for the radio tower is 55. Am I really somehow undereleveled that badly?
Oh, that guy is an optional boss. You can come back and do him later. The area -does- get locked out later on but not for a while. You should be fine if you come back to him before finishing the next area you go to -after- Galahad Fortress (by which point you should be way past him in level). You aren't under-leveled from what I remember for that point in the story.

nan0

You can play on safely for a while and complete the next area and return after the events there. The quests should be doable by then. Besides that, there is nothing really important there, only very few quests and a few named monsters. I suggest exploring a bit, though.

RDreamer

Oh, that guy is an optional boss. You can come back and do him later. The area -does- get locked out later on but not for a while. You should be fine if you come back to him before finishing the next area you go to -after- Galahad Fortress (by which point you should be way past him in level). You aren't under-leveled from what I remember for that point in the story.

Ok, that's good to know, but now I'm really confused as to where I'm supposed to be going. That radio tower guy seems like he's right in the way of where the game wants me to go

Edit: Nevermind I think I found some ramps. This map is confusing.

TDLink

Ok, that's good to know, but now I'm really confused as to where I'm supposed to be going. That radio tower guy seems like he's right in the way of where the game wants me to go

Edit: Nevermind I think I found some ramps. This map is confusing.

Yeah, it is weird how that area is incredibly straight forward until the very end when it opens in multiple directions and that actually does end up confusing you. The one you want is the sewer-looking thing, I believe.

Top Bottom