• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

flyover

Is Melia any good when used by the AI?

I know the general consensus is no. And that's the experience I had, too. But is there a way to set her up -- even if it means not using all her skill slots, so she's restricted to a useful subset -- to make her helpful in most (non-boss) battles? Just curious.

Zornica

Banned
I know the general consensus is no. And that's the experience I had, too. But is there a way to set her up -- even if it means not using all her skill slots, so she's restricted to a useful subset -- to make her helpful in most (non-boss) battles? Just curious.

you wouldn't need a special setup, but you'd have to manually command her to attack. (Z+A when using wiimote+nunchuck).
I think that should force her to fire the orb summon thingies at your target.

katkombat

Banned
Why is there something seriously suspicious about PRISON ISLAND SPOILER
Zanza
? Seriously, guy's so off to me...

EDIT: BAM. That was awesome. More prison island spoilers ahead:
so Fiora's alive and the traitor from the beginning is the mechon!?
Wow. This might top my favorite games of all time list.

1stStrike

Banned
Why is there something seriously suspicious about PRISON ISLAND SPOILER
Zanza
? Seriously, guy's so off to me...

EDIT: BAM. That was awesome. More prison island spoilers ahead:
so Fiora's alive and the traitor from the beginning is the mechon!?
Wow. This might top my favorite games of all time list.

Yep, something is certainly suspicious about Zanza... :p

The story has an epic twist there, as you saw, but it just keeps getting better and better. I really enjoyed this roller coaster of a story.

JulianImp

I didn't make much progress yesterday since the TV was in use for quite a while, but I did manage to undo one of the two island locks and checked out all the heart-tohear spots I could access at the time.

It's a bit backwards how, besides some insight on your party members (which I've liked so far, despite the conversations having no voiceovers, strangely enough), all you get for having a good relationship is making it even better?

I've crafted several gems as well (I even managed to get two of them to level up from 3 to 4!), and have equipped them to my party. Now I'll be able to pick up more crystal again rather than doing the inventory dance whenever I find a new one.

Zornica

Banned
I didn't make much progress yesterday since the TV was in use for quite a while, but I did manage to undo one of the two island locks and checked out all the heart-tohear spots I could access at the time.

It's a bit backwards how, besides some insight on your party members (which I've liked so far, despite the conversations having no voiceovers, strangely enough), all you get for having a good relationship is making it even better?

I've crafted several gems as well (I even managed to get two of them to level up from 3 to 4!), and have equipped them to my party. Now I'll be able to pick up more crystal again rather than doing the inventory dance whenever I find a new one.

@ heart to heart:

they are for character development. more insight into their relationships and their surroundings is the only reward you'll get. (which is more than enough for most rpg fans)

@ crafting:

I'd sell everything that is 2 levels below the chrystal level you can get at the time. as in: if you can get level III crystals already, sell everything thats below II. (except for haste and agility, those are rare enough as it is.)
also most gems aren't worth it like poison defence, or fire defence etc.

JulianImp

@ heart to heart:

they are for character development. more insight into their relationships and their surroundings is the only reward you'll get. (which is more than enough for most rpg fans)

Yeah, I expected that, but it's a bit strange how you won't be able to trigger nearly every one of them when you first spot them. I'm really liking them, though, but it's been a bit of a hassle to spot the ones I can get to (even if they're shown in the list, the location is vague enough thet I often have to roam all over the region to check which one it is).

@ crafting:

I'd sell everything that is 2 levels below the chrystal level you can get at the time. as in: if you can get level III crystals already, sell everything thats below II. (except for haste and agility, those are rare enough as it is.)
also most gems aren't worth it like poison defence, or fire defence etc.

What does haste do? I don't think I've ever found a haste gem yet. However, I've found several low-level Agility gems.

Should I sell them as-is or craft them before selling?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What does haste do? I don't think I've ever found a haste gem yet. However, I've found several low-level Agility gems.

Haste increases attack speed. That (and critical up) is only available as a quest reward until you get to the end of the game though. I think there are two of them you can get rewarded with but they are only rank II, 15% or something. Really disappointing, but the megaheated 50% haste gems you can make at the end are really worth it.

Agility shouldn't be rare though, I know various enemies drop different ranked crystals and I think you can mine them (mining is the only way to get rank V ones).

And you can just sell the crystals. I never bothered crafting before selling, not sure the time it takes is worth the extra money you might get.

Zornica

Banned
Yeah, I expected that, but it's a bit strange how you won't be able to trigger nearly every one of them when you first spot them. I'm really liking them, though, but it's been a bit of a hassle to spot the ones I can get to (even if they're shown in the list, the location is vague enough thet I often have to roam all over the region to check which one it is).

Heart to hearts are mostly endgame content. they are throwbacks and reflections on events that would have happend a long time ago when you are finally able to do them. I think they are pretty effective in what they try to accomplish. Xb is a long game, for example when you finally return to the refugee camp after 80+ hours of playing, a long timespan in rl and also ig has passed, and those dialogs really reflect that. you've grown to know your characters and they have grown to know each other. It wouldn't make much sense for them to talk about their feelings and what they accomplished only after 10 hours into the game. There are also really story heavy heart to hearts that only unlock after certain events happend.

money is practically worthless so... just sell it (without the mentioned exceptions ofc)

hast improves your attack speed. agility improves evasion and accuracy.

btw: there is a crating guide in the op. until the end of the game, those minerals are pretty rare, you should use the few you got as efficiently as possible.

edit: beaten

upandaway

Yesterday I finally spent a good hour or two mapping out all my gems and stuff. Managed to get 4 pretty crazy VI gems (two ether +100, I freaked out) too. After I was done, I could destroy any enemy 4 levels above me, and most red enemies were as easy as what was previously blue.

....And I still need Sharla for boss fights. I don't get it.

katkombat

Banned
Yep, something is certainly suspicious about Zanza... :p

The story has an epic twist there, as you saw, but it just keeps getting better and better. I really enjoyed this roller coaster of a story.

Can't wait to figure out what happens next. One of the few games that I've ever felt that about it...

JulianImp

I've gotten over Sharla by now. It's true that replacing her for anyone else works mostly the same... except you get an extra tank, damage dealer or can have Riki spread status ailments, which will often have the same result you'd get from having Sharla heal everyone continously (which makes fights considerably longer).

Right now I'm about to head into the fortress, but I'll be doing some stuff before moving onwards; mostly selling my lower-level gems and crafting the rest, but I might also go and get the materials required to receive the portable gem crafter.

As far as the story goes up to now,
the giant sequence wasn't particularily interesting, and Fiora being brainwashed and piloting a face was exactly what I expected after the cutscene that showed the white face's assembly. Even if I hadn't been spoiled about her return before, other than Fiora, there were absolutely no female characters who had "died" and were important enough to get their own cutscene when being put into a face, but without revealing their identity. No girl in the game other than Fiora could've been put into that face, since the other girls were in Shulk's party (or nearby and unconscious) at the time, and the two other relevant women (the high entia queen and her striperrific sidekick) had no buisness piloting a face.

So Zanza, Alvis and the striperrific high entia appear to know something nobody else does. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what's up with them and their dubious allegiances.

Black Face's reveal was long expected, but I really liked everything about his appearance, the ensuing combat and his in-cutscene fight with Dunban. The only part I didn't like was Boss Face crashing into the party and running away with its weakened underlings just as things were looking good for the heroes (I know, "Can't thwart stage one" and all that), but it was a great sequence otherwise.

upandaway

I think I spoke too soon on Sharla. I only needed her for the
very very
final boss (
Lorithia
starting with a massacre and then calming down made me have the wrong impression), but, well, I needed her for the final boss in the end. I tried every possible combination without her until I decided it's not worth it. Of course, with her it was somewhat easy.

Anyway, I finished just now. 80 hours, level 79 (haha). Only after finishing the game I noticed just how good the title screen music is, I really like it.
I only did a few sidequests deliberately (I think around ~20), gotten the hang of gems 75 hours in, and only finally found a good fighting style for myself in the last quarter or so of the game. The only thing I did with Colony 6 was upgrade the shops to level 4. That's the first time I spent so much time on a game while being THAT dismissive with optional content, which speaks to just how big the game is.

I have more than enough force in me to at least attempt 100%, but I'd much rather wait until I can emulate it (or an HD version will come out) to avoid the jaggies.. so that could take a few years. Oh well, no rush.

Hold onto your seatbelts so you won't be blown away by this: but, um, this game is pretty great.

By the way, questions about the postgame: am I supposed to just start from right before the point of no return? And is it bad if I missed a lot of the uniques/quests
from the destroyed areas
? And what should I focus on if I don't want to do everything, any general direction?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, questions about the postgame: am I supposed to just start from right before the point of no return?

Yep.

And is it bad if I missed a lot of the uniques/quests
from the destroyed areas
?

That will make things more difficult.
You've missed out on affinity coins which you will probably wish you had for skill links. And the Alcamoth area quests would have made it significantly easier to get a couple of the skill trees. None of them are missable, it's just going to require you to do basically every single quest in that area to get Melia's 4th one now.

And what should I focus on if I don't want to do everything, any general direction?

That really depends on what your goal in the post-game is. There's not really any story content or anything, it's primarily just more quests (with some more in-depth ones that give some details about the world) and optional challenging unique enemies.

I'd honestly say that since you didn't really do any side stuff during the main game, post-game stuff might be best saved for a replay some day. Because to get to any of the post-game stuff you're probably going to need to trudge through constant quests from various parts of the game to get high enough affinity, and it will get really boring doing all those low level quests with worthless rewards at level 80+.

If you want to do it anyway, the best starting point would be to work on Colony 6 while also taking on as many quests as you can from other areas at the same time. Try to kill several birds with one stone since you'll probably have a lot of quests you can work on at the same time.

And kill any unique monsters you come across and haven't killed yet for affinity coins.

upandaway

Hmmm.. alright. So I can basically just do stuff until I get sick of it/the grinding crosses a certain line for me. Sounds good.

By the way I already have Melia's, and while I only did a few quests deliberately, I did accept any quest I came across (and by that virtue, complete most of them while exploring). I hope that will be enough to get me a bit further (I think I have more than 100 there, at least..).

Is there a postgame guide/list? Google gives me nothing. I think there's a lot on Youtube but I I really don't want to watch videos of it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm.. alright. So I can basically just do stuff until I get sick of it/the grinding crosses a certain line for me. Sounds good.

By the way I already have Melia's, and while I only did a few quests deliberately, I did accept any quest I came across (and by that virtue, complete most of them while exploring). I hope that will be enough to get me a bit further (I think I have more than 100 there, at least..).

Is there a postgame guide/list? Google gives me nothing. I think there's a lot on Youtube but I I really don't want to watch videos of it.

There's this spreadsheet, has basically everything for the whole game in there. Since you beat it there shouldn't be any concern about spoilers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...eE5BekE&hl=en_US&f=true&noheader=false&gid=10

katkombat

Banned
Just fought
Egil
for the last time I think. Also, anyone who played this and The Last Story notice that Syrenne and Melia have a move called Shadow Stitch? Thought it was a funny coincidence considering they're both OpRainfall games, but maybe I'm looking too much into things...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well I made it to what I'm guessing is the point of no return, about to fight
Dickson
at the top of
Prison Island

Yes, you need to keep a save there if you want to keep playing. You can't save after that, and if you save at the prompt after you beat the game it will roll over into NG+, so you'll have to play it all over again to do post-game content.

katkombat

Banned
I just finished it.
All of my thoughts will probably sound cliche and cheesy but they're my true feelings towards the game.

The game was the best I've played in this generation, no, of all time. Yes, I'm serious. I can't believe someone crafted a world this detailed and magical. I can't express how I felt after I finished it. It was a feeling I've never had before in my life, haha, and I hope to need have it again. It was a great feeling, but I don't want anything else to match how I felt after this game. I have never given anything this much praise before, and to be honest, I don't play games all that much. I have other things to do between school, my girlfriend, and family, but that couldn't pry me from this game. Monolith Soft, you have crafted the most brilliant game ever made. Thank you.

1stStrike

Banned
I just finished it.
All of my thoughts will probably sound cliche and cheesy but they're my true feelings towards the game.

The game was the best I've played in this generation, no, of all time. Yes, I'm serious. I can't believe someone crafted a world this detailed and magical. I can't express how I felt after I finished it. It was a feeling I've never had before in my life, haha, and I hope to need have it again. It was a great feeling, but I don't want anything else to match how I felt after this game. I have never given anything this much praise before, and to be honest, I don't play games all that much. I have other things to do between school, my girlfriend, and family, but that couldn't pry me from this game. Monolith Soft, you have crafted the most brilliant game ever made. Thank you.

I think a lot of us felt that way after beating the game. I certainly felt very similar, which is why I immediately put together this video as a bit of a tribute.

I'm not sure if I'd call it the best game I've ever played, but it's certainly one of my favorites of this generation with only really Nier ranking up there with it. Everything else I've played has been pretty forgettable.

katkombat

Banned
I'm not sure if I'd call it the best game I've ever played, but it's certainly one of my favorites of this generation with only really Nier ranking up there with it. Everything else I've played has been pretty forgettable.

I'll give your video a watch sometime! As for it being my favorite game of all time AND this gen, I think I was exaggerating a bit. It is however my favorite game on the Wii and tops my favorite RPG list hands down. I think it was one of those things where I has an adrenaline rush of sorts after I beat it and could've given it endless praise (maybe that was a bad way to word it, I can STILL give it endless praise haha). Either way I love it and Monolith Soft has earned a spot in my top 10 game developers.

Masamuna

So I'm really digging melia on point. Currently using melia/shulk/dunban and so far I'm digging the setup.

Normally when I fight starts i stack two aqua orbs to keep my regen at a decent amount, then alternate my last orb between fire/lightning/wind. Is this optimal?

Zornica

Banned
So I'm really digging melia on point. Currently using melia/shulk/dunban and so far I'm digging the setup.

Normally when I fight starts i stack two aqua orbs to keep my regen at a decent amount, then alternate my last orb between fire/lightning/wind. Is this optimal?

nope

I don't want to lecture you on how to play the game, if this setup works for you, great, but it's hardly optimal imo

olimpia84

I just finished it.

Pretty much how I felt after beating the game :)
This game is a masterpiece and I'm so effing glad NOA brought it over otherwise I would have never played this amazing game.

Masamuna

Thanks for the input! I would much rather have melia as a dd, but does this mean I need to have sharla in the group as a healer? Seems like that might hinder chain combos but I may be wrongs. Minor heal with shulk isn't enough, maybe switch him out for riki?

upandaway

By the way.. how's the consensus here for the translation for the game?

Because I felt that it was pretty, um, sometimes.. really bad. I was playing with Jap VAs with subtitles and sometimes the sentence were basically complete rewrites. And even a lot of the "correct" stuff were still noticeably loose.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You can get through the game (post ether-mines at least) using only Shulk's Light Heal. I didn't use Sharla at all on my second playthrough and barely touched Riki.

By the way.. how's the consensus here for the translation for the game?

Because I felt that it was pretty, um, sometimes.. really bad. I was playing with Jap VAs with subtitles and sometimes the sentence were basically complete rewrites. And even a lot of the "correct" stuff were still noticeably loose.

It's more important to get the same meaning across than it is to translate word-for-word. I don't know if they succeeded in doing that, but a liberal translation is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ookaze

Neo Member
It's more important to get the same meaning across than it is to translate word-for-word. I don't know if they succeeded in doing that, but a liberal translation is not necessarily a bad thing.

It's a generally good translation, but it can be very bad even on important cutscenes.
Must have been 2-3 moments that made me cringe in the translation, while the japanese was not cringy material at all. So it's a good ratio.

JulianImp

So, I've just
fought Egil for the first time, and am on my way back to Mechonis after its awakening. Mechonis Field was a bit too battle-heavy for me, and while running around it doing the quests those robot things gave me, I ended up reaching level 70.

I'm liking the game and its story up to now.
Mumkhar battles were fun, and the fight against Gadolt where I had to run up to him while taking cover from his long-range shots was awesome
. I loved how they sprinkled climbable surfaces on
Mechonis Field
to allow you to take a more stealthy approach (even though I just fought everything I came accross).

Sadly, the combat is slowly getting less compelling for me. Nowadays, the only time I'll change my tactics is when the enemy deals counterattack damage (so I either avoid toppling them or use a long-rage-based party if they have a regular spike).
Also, Fiora's speed suit II is somewhat ridiculous, with it giving her +50 Agility and 40% Haste. Outside of bosses or projectile moves, she barely ever gets hit, and combined with an Arts Heal IV, Health Steal II gems and her regenerating aura, she's surprisingly durable. The art that drains physical attack has been incredibly useful as well and has very low cooldown; sometimes it even manages to weaken a vision's damage greatly while boosting her backstab and talent art.

By the way, is there a place where I can get intermediate art manuals for
Fiora
? So far I think I've only found one or two, unless I missed them on a shop somewhere or something. The Arts Points are really piling up already since I can't spend them on anything I use.

Like always, I'm constantly piling crystals up, despite having sold all my level 1s and 2s already. Should I get to crafting the 3s or should I sell them to make more space? I guess the game will go one for a bit longer now, since I still haven't found any level 5 gems (good old interface, spoiling the game's length yet again).

upandaway

Yeah I'm all about liberal translation, but some of the sentences were a bit like guessing what the character's saying based on only the context and tone of voice (some of Dickson's lines for example). I could only compare with sentences which were voiced, though.

Maybe I just remember the bad parts which make it seem like there were a lot of them.

JulianImp

Yeah I'm all about liberal translation, but some of the sentences were a bit like guessing what the character's saying based on only the context and tone of voice (some of Dickson's lines for example). I could only compare with sentences which were voiced, though.

Maybe I just remember the bad parts which make it seem like there were a lot of them.

I think I remember a few occasions when the translation appeared to differ from the japanese voices enough to catch my attention as far as my beginner-level japanese skills allow me to understand, but overall I think it does work fine most of the time.

I'll have to check the english voice-overs sometime to see how they handled the tone and all, but I guess I'll be done with the game for a while once I've finished the main storyline and a couple of sidequests.

1stStrike

Banned
I think I remember a few occasions when the translation appeared to differ from the japanese voices enough to catch my attention as far as my beginner-level japanese skills allow me to understand, but overall I think it does work fine most of the time.

I'll have to check the english voice-overs sometime to see how they handled the tone and all, but I guess I'll be done with the game for a while once I've finished the main storyline and a couple of sidequests.

They handled them pretty damn well in my opinion (early game spoilers).

This is one of those times where I don't see how the Japanese voice-overs could top this.

Zornica

Banned
It's a generally good translation, but it can be very bad even on important cutscenes.
Must have been 2-3 moments that made me cringe in the translation, while the japanese was not cringy material at all. So it's a good ratio.

could you give some examples?

I only remember noticing a few deviation from the japanese dialog, but that was probably due to the german translation being based on the english dub - which in itself was kinda bothering. It made the localisation seem a litte bit lifeless and barren. It's hard to describe...

for example, at the very start of the game, when fiora brings dunban his lunch, she always calls him onii-chan, which could be translated easily into german. but due to the english localisation, she just calls him dunban or brother, which, in context, sounds really cold and distant in german, especially if you can hear the real dialog in the background that gives you an idea of how it should sound...

I wonder if they did the same thing in other languages too. It's a shame that they based all their localisations on the english one and not the japanese original. It could've been much better that way.
(in that regard, tls was much better)

Xeno_V

Hey guys, I am going through the game now for the first time and I read somewhere that the max damage that a weapon deals caps at the minimum damage+99 or something like that (except if this is about added damage from gems etc). Maybe I am mistaken or I didn't get something right, but could that mean that when I see at e.g. Shulk's status that his damage is 700-1000, then the actual damage is 700-799?

The game rocks so far by the way, I would like to say so many things about it but I 'll save my comments for when I finish it. 37 hours in and just got to
Valak Mountain
. I haven't played such an addictive RPG in a looooong while.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I am going through the game now for the first time and I read somewhere that the max damage that a weapon deals caps at the minimum damage+99 or something like that (except if this is about added damage from gems etc). Maybe I am mistaken or I didn't get something right, but could that mean that when I see at e.g. Shulk's status that his damage is 700-1000, then the actual damage is 700-799?

The game rocks so far by the way, I would like to say so many things about it but I 'll save my comments for when I finish it. 37 hours in and just got to
Valak Mountain
. I haven't played such an addictive RPG in a looooong while.

I remember reading that and people were saying attack plus was useless due to it, but I don't know if that's actually right since it seems like it would be a pretty obvious bug. It should be pretty clear if you just watch the numbers, especially if you have a character fight alone. I don't remember noticing my damage in the thousands being restricted like that.

Xeno_V

Yeah that's what I had in mind, everything seems fine so far, so probably this is only limited to the added effects from gems, which makes sense indeed.
By the way my party at first was Shulk, Sharla and Reyn/Dunban. Then I read a guide here (thanks Zornica) about Melia and since then she is the player that I control, she already deals massive damage. The only one I 've never used so far is Riki, how good is the AI control for him? Should he be mainly used as a healer? Is he also any good in attacking (physical or ether attacks)?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Riki is good at everything but not great at anything, in my experience.

He's okay as a caster with DoT effects, but not as good as Melia. He's a good healer, but not as good as Sharla. He has the makings of a good tank, but he can't hold aggro as well as either Reyn or Dunban. And his physical damage output is merely decent, and doesn't hold up against Shulk/Dunban/7th.

But since he is "average" all around, that means he's good as a mixed character. You can have most of the benefits of Melia's casting and Sharla's healing in a single character, with a few other things thrown in for good measure. And that's probably how most people use him. AI isn't as good as player-control, but that applies to every character if you know what you're doing. It's better than Melia, at least.

Celegus

Yeah that's what I had in mind, everything seems fine so far, so probably this is only limited to the added effects from gems, which makes sense indeed.
By the way my party at first was Shulk, Sharla and Reyn/Dunban. Then I read a guide here (thanks Zornica) about Melia and since then she is the player that I control, she already deals massive damage. The only one I 've never used so far is Riki, how good is the AI control for him? Should he be mainly used as a healer? Is he also any good in attacking (physical or ether attacks)?

I'm at about the same place as you in the game, and Riki has been my most played character since I got him. I'm a complete sucker for any character that can steal items or improve drop rates, so he's been a mainstay in my party. Doesn't hurt that he's adorable and has a fantastic voice actor. He certainly doesn't seem to be the "best" character, but I find him at least fun to play with.

My least favorite is probably Melia, because even though she's quite good, the way she says her skills really bothers me. It's the exact same way Xelha said her skills in Baten Kaitos, which I hate hate hated. (Aqua...Burst! Light...Flare! Summon...Bolt!) One of my favorite things about Xenoblade is how different every character is, so I switch them up constantly - plus they're all good so it's hard to pick favorites.

JulianImp

Disclaimer: I'm about 68 hours into the game and my party's around level 70, so please take that into account when thinking about revealing my spoilers.

I've just cleared
Mechonis Core and gotten into the Bionis's body once again
and got my hands on a quest equipment for 7th, which had its minimum damage higher than my previous weapon's maximum; I had to walk all the way to it and back, though, since at the time I actually remembered the quest the game had blocked fast travelling for me. It might have just two gem slots, but the damage output is really worth it. I also finally fullfilled the requirements to be able to craft gems anytime, so that'll probably be the end of my "gotta make room for higher level crystals" woes.

So, plot twists ahoy:
Zanza inhabited the sword and Shulk was merely a husk, as was the previous giant, who was originally friendly to Egil? It was part of Dickson's plan to rescue Shulk and the Monado? The triunvirate of obvious ambiguity were playing all the citizens of Bionis to lead them into Zanza's trap? Meyneth was defeated and Zanza took her monado, while Fiora's lifeforce is now running short as a result? Zanza turned all purebreed High Entia into telethia? Lorithia wasn't really killed by Kallian's sacrifice? Shulk was able to awaken his own monado thanks to Alvis's intervention, and somehow exists outside the fabric of fate, meaning he has a chance to thwart Zanza?
... I can't say I didn't see at least some of this coming, but woah.

I've probably missed a few quests due to the point of no return, but I'm fine with that. I think Team Fortress 2 cured me out of my tendency to go for 100% completition in all games I play, so I'm fine with leaving some things out of my first playthrough. I still haven't unlocked any extra skill trees, so I'll see if I can do that now as most characters have no new skills to use SP on; the one thing that annoys me is being unable to find where I can get the remaining intermediate art books to spend some of the points I've piled up, and that large unique lv 70 mechon that was a bit too strong for me (despite having a lv 70 party).

I'm a bit sad that I've probably been to the last available town already, so from now on all I'll be doing is fighting stuff along the main storyline... I'm still hoping there's at least some non-combat stuff left in the story (as in, excluding quests I haven't done yet).

Up to now, I can say it's one of the best games I've played in a long while. Despite not having played too many RPGs as of late (the last one was the DS Golden Sun, which I found quite underwhelming), I've been captivated by almost everything in Xenoblade, from the party's characterization and interactions to the real-time combat to the massive scale of the slumbering titan the game is set on. It's definitely one of my favorite games so far.

Xeno_V

Just got to
Sword Valley
, and the party is around lv 50. I guess that I should be more or less half-way through the game. So can you give me any mid-game suggestions for gems for each character? What I have done so far is to equip Dunban with lots of Agility Up gems and Shulk with Agility Up and Physical Protect.. Reyn has some spike damage gems and some attack boosting gems. For the melee characters I have to decide what's more important among double attack, topple up, daze up and other physical damage up gems. Melia is full of Ether Up and Electric Plus, Sharla is equipped with Ether Up and Ether Def up, and Riki is still waiting to be used. Any general advice on where to focus on each character would be useful. Should I use any anti-spike gems etc constantly or is it better to equip such gems only on tougher battles?

EDIT: Celegus I just saw your post, I guess that I should try Riki in a party with 2 melee attackers to see how he adds value to the party. Melia was fun at first (and maybe she still is), but I feel like I am doing the same thing over and over (Bolt all the way as the damage is ridiculous). Plus at the place that I am now she dies quite easily in all of a sudden, maybe I am doing something wrong, but before getting there everything seemed like a stroll in the park for her. Also lol at Xelha, her voice acting was incredibly bad, Melia on the other hand hasn't bothered me so far for some reason.

Finally beat the game the other day.

Amazing ending, both as in final area, bosses and story twists. Pretty rarely for me to be this satisfied by a game ending. I was lvl
78 when arriving at Prison Island
[...]

Today I then reassumed the game to start on the post game content and beat up all UM in the final area and some other places. Then as I was fighting a lvl 86 unique in Satorl Marsh the game froze up on me. Damn, first time that has happened to me, even though my Wii is from launch. I usually have to reinsert the disc several times before every play session in order for the disc reader to work properly. Tried loading up the game just now and it gave me an error. Unplugged the Wii and hopefully cooling it off will help.

Oh well at least I got to beat the game if anything else.
Well I'm back at the game again after having a break for over half a year. My Wii was indeed bricked and luckily my Wii U is able to play the game so I can pick up from where the game froze on me.

Wow, you forget so much in just 6 months... I managed to kill the UM during the Satorl Marsh ceremony quest thingy, but now I'm kinda lost on what post-game stuff I should tackle next. I should have made a list on what to do before going on a break. I've been clearing some minor quests, but I would like to do some stuff with more meat to it. I'm lvl 80 so Alcamoth stuff is too early, no? I really need a good overview of post-game content.

Zornica

Banned
Well I'm back at the game again after having a break for over half a year. My Wii was indeed bricked and luckily my Wii U is able to play the game so I can pick up from where the game froze on me.

Wow, you forget so much in just 6 months... I managed to kill the UM during the Satorl Marsh ceremony quest thingy, but now I'm kinda lost on what post-game stuff I should tackle next. I should have made a list on what to do before going on a break. I've been clearing some minor quests, but I would like to do some stuff with more meat to it. I'm lvl 80 so Alcamoth stuff is too early, no? I really need a good overview of post-game content.

your best reference would be the chart with all the npcs on it. there you can see where the survivors went, and most of them give you post game quests.
there are some in frontier village, some in the refugee camp on bionis leg, some in the etherplant (eryth sea) and some are in the "ice dome" where te monado was found on the arm. there are also lots of quests in colony 6 (and 9?).
alcamoth is lvl ~89, shouldn't be too high if you're already lvl 80+. just slot a few agility gems for better acuracy.
you could also collect the 5 monados.

Finally beat Xenoblade last night. Such a great ride, and a great twist at the end where
Zanza and Meyneth were actually humans in our solar system, and that Zanza actually wiped it out. Definitely feels Xeno.

The final dungeon was a cakewalk for the most part because I ended up doing what I guess is the post-game content before, so I was around level 97. Just have the superbosses to deal with now. I did fire up NG+ after carrying over a bunch of armors
to see what they would look like on Fiora, only to realize she has limited armor options :/

It's also a great feeling to finally be able to highlight these spoilers. Bring on X

Top Bottom