• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

JulianImp

Well, started up again as said. Just in the beginning...just wondering, is there a 'best' party set up of characters? What are your personal favourites?

I begun to do way better at the game as soon as I got rid of Sharla, since late game you'll sill have Shulk's light heal or Rikki if you care so much about restoring HP, but I think you should stick with damage-dealers.

Playing with Melia was a bit of a chore, since it was all about repeatedly summoning/discharging stuff (and about spear break + toppling stuff later on), but she felt really powerful nearly all the time. I liked controlling Dunban until I got 7th, and then I went to town with that sweet attack power and the ridiculous agility-boosting gear. I stopped using Shulk fairly early since I felt like he's a bit too powerful and versatile compared to others, and the fact he only learn enough arts to fill his battle palette, with no room for experimentation, was another thing that put me off of using him myself (I did use him in my party every now and then).

Well, started up again as said. Just in the beginning...just wondering, is there a 'best' party set up of characters? What are your personal favourites?

The "best" party really depends on the situation. Some bosses are easier to defeat with ether attacks, for example. So Melia/Riki/Shulk would be a good party setup there. For topple-locking, Shulk/Dunban/Reyn is the best party setup. For late-game superboss ownage, I've found that Shulk/Dunban/7th is my best team — Shulk's Monado skill that you get from a quest (
Armor
) is unbelievably good, Dunban is almost invincible once you get the best agility gems on him, and 7th does so much damage it's ridiculous. AND they can topple-lock, if you're into that sort of thing.

Sharla is generally considered to be the worst character in the game.

upandaway has it right, in any case: The game is much more fun when you're constantly playing around with different party setups.

CorvoSol

Just got to to the part where I'm
supposed to go into the High Entia Tomb.
Dunban is incredibly chill about
the apathy of the High Entia concerning a Mechon invasion.

CorvoSol

Dunban is chill about everything. Dude must smoke mad trees.

My brother and I enjoy Dunban the most. As in, we joke that he's trying to mentor Shulk in the ways of getting women, while laughing about how Reyn never will. We do this mostly because of Reyn's "SHARLA, WHAT ABOUT ME?" and Shulk's "Dunban! You're embarrassing Riki!" It's just become a running gag to us that Dunban is way past cool and Shulk and Reyn are trying to learn how to be that cool. (Not Riki, though. If Dunban is high all the time, Riki is either the drug induced spirit guide he deserves, or is equally high.)

We're also immature and can't help referring to things as "The Monardo" and "Meliar". And pointing out that, like Solid Snake, Shulk can't help but repeat half the things he hears as questions.

"Yes, the Monardo."
"The Monardo?"

flyover

And pointing out that, like Solid Snake, Shulk can't help but repeat half the things he hears as questions.

"Yes, the Monardo."
"The Monardo?"

Yes! I think Shulk was pretty good for a JRPG protagonist, but he sure did do a lot of that as the game went on. And the more basic the observation someone made, the more stunned he seemed by it. I could almost believe that he was purposely being a total smartass, trying to make everyone else feel stupid for pointing out the obvious. Like he had just marathoned the entire series of Friends, and now wanted to be the Chandler Bing of the Bionis. X = "Xenoblade 2: Could That Mechon Be Any More Faced?"

CorvoSol

Yes! I think Shulk was pretty good for a JRPG protagonist, but he sure did do a lot of that as the game went on. And the more basic the observation someone made, the more stunned he seemed by it. I could almost believe that he was purposely being a total smartass, trying to make everyone else feel stupid for pointing out the obvious. Like he had just marathoned the entire series of Friends, and now wanted to be the Chandler Bing of the Bionis. X = "Xenoblade 2: Could That Mechon Be Any More Faced?"

I think it might just be that a lifetime of hanging out with Reyn has necessitated that Shulk restate things just so he can be perfectly clear no one is mistaken and so that Reyn will understand them, too.

"Shulk, tell Reyn he has to sweep the floor."
"Sweep the floor?"
"Yes! With the broom!"
"A broom? To sweep? The floor?"
"Yes!"

So Shulk isn't actually dumb, he's just making sure Reyn understands whilst pretending to be dumb for Reyn's sake.

I still got a kick out of Shulk going "Dunban! You're embarrassing Riki!" Like anything could embarrass the Heropon.

CorvoSol

To be honest, at first I was kinda whatevers about the game, but then I hit Eryth Sea and Alcamoth and it has all been awesome from that point on. Game is so good. I can't believe I'm only like, half-way through it, and I've barely touched the whole sidequest part of it. I do spend time filling out maps, though. Stumbling into secret areas is awesome.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
To be honest, at first I was kinda whatevers about the game, but then I hit Eryth Sea and Alcamoth and it has all been awesome from that point on. Game is so good. I can't believe I'm only like, half-way through it, and I've barely touched the whole sidequest part of it. I do spend time filling out maps, though. Stumbling into secret areas is awesome.

surprised you was whatever when you reached gaur plains, thats usually what gets people after the intial two hours, and thats if the 1st plot twist didnt get them

CorvoSol

surprised you was whatever when you reached gaur plains, thats usually what gets people after the intial two hours, and thats if the 1st plot twist didnt get them

I mean, Gaur plains was awesome, but not like, from a plot perspective. It was really nice to run around in, but the game's plot didn't click till Alcamoth.

EDIT: Maybe I should elaborate. When I first got the game last year, I didn't have a lot of time to play it, so I kinda just played through all of Colony 9 and then left the game while I was at school for most of the year. Then I got home and picked it up, so Gaur plains was like a reintroduction to the game for me. It was huge and nice and really set up how things would go from then on out, and it got me to like the game, and I have nothing but fond memories of the adventures from Gaur to Eryth, Makna Falls being one of the most amazing places and raiding the Ignas fortress one of the toughest spots at the time, but when I hit Eryth Sea, saw Alcamoth, and realized it was like a way more detailed and explorable Zeal Kingdom from CT, I was stoked. Everything was awesome. And then Prison Island happened and the whole plot came together and now I can't stand going a day without playing it.

As someone who didn't care about the story at all, the first thing to really get me was looking out over Colony 9 at that one place (you know the one). The big hook, of course, was the arrival at Gaur Plains, which was handled so smartly (going through the little valley with almost no scenery).

The best part? I knew about both things before I got there in the game, and they still blew me away. It's a damn shame the final third of the game lacks the scenic impact of the first parts.

upandaway

I figure this is the best place to ask about this. What are some good JRPGs that you'd recommend to someone who loves Xenoblade?
The thing is, I love oldschool JRPGs and I love Xenoblade, but I don't really like most modern console JRPGs that I tried (I didn't really get into Tales of Symphonia). Can't really put a finger on what makes Xenoblade the exception...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I figure this is the best place to ask about this. What are some good JRPGs that you'd recommend to someone who loves Xenoblade?
The thing is, I love oldschool JRPGs and I love Xenoblade, but I don't really like most modern console JRPGs that I tried (I didn't really get into Tales of Symphonia). Can't really put a finger on what makes Xenoblade the exception...

I still have yet to play FFXII, but it seems to get compared to that a lot.

I still have yet to play FFXII, but it seems to get compared to that a lot.

You really should set aside 8 months and play through it. The battle system seems like something you'd enjoy.

I didn't mind the battle system as much as some, but I would have absolutely loved a FFXII-style gambit system to "program" the other party members.

If you're looking for exploration, then compared to Xenoblade you'll probably be disappointed. The locations are gorgeous and varied, the graphics are wonderful, and there are lots of locations to visit. But the locations are almost all linear - series of paths rather than open areas - and most areas are broken up into several smaller areas, each with their own (admittedly small) loading times. There's also a lot less playing around with height; most places you visit will be on a single level and you won't be doing a lot of vertical movement.

But it's certainly worth a playthrough. The game is gorgeous, the battle system is fantastic, and there are *tons* of things to do, monsters to hunt, sidequests to take, secrets to find, etc.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've been tossing around the idea of ordering the IZJS version, but I don't know how good the translation patch is these days and I should probably play my vanilla copy first anyway.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy XII IZJV is pretty good. I've been playing it now and it is probably the most like Xenoblade a game can be, I guess. It's similar enough that I'm constantly trying to get Vaan to jump, even when I know he can't. The Last Story is one I got for the Wii and heard was pretty good. I've heard nice things about Lost Odyssey, too. That's really it for recentish console JRPGs that I've played.

In terms of hand held games, though, TWEWY is a must.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Last Story is really nothing like Xenoblade aside from being a JRPG without turn-based combat. It's more similar to FFXIII than anything, but a lot of people like it more depending on their priorities in a game (TLS has much better characters and a passable, well told story).

The IZJS patch is very, very good. Virtually all of the changes were to mechanics and structure anyway, so all the story dialogue/menus/names are the same. If improper kerning sets you off, though, beware.

I actually prefer the format of vanilla XII just because I like having access to the complete grid for each character.

Might bite on it, but not at the dumb ebay prices. I can import a brand new copy for less than what people are charging for used copies. Happens with a lot of games, makes me wonder if I should just start a small import game business :lol

The IZJS patch is very, very good. Virtually all of the changes were to mechanics and structure anyway, so all the story dialogue/menus/names are the same. If improper kerning sets you off, though, beware.

I actually prefer the format of vanilla XII just because I like having access to the complete grid for each character.

CorvoSol

Last Story is really nothing like Xenoblade aside from being a JRPG without turn-based combat. It's more similar to FFXIII than anything, but a lot of people like it more depending on their priorities in a game (TLS has much better characters and a passable, well told story).

I just meant it as another JRPG he might enjoy, and not so much "like Xenoblade". I should've clarified that. The World Ends With You is unlike Xenoblade, too, but I still think people will enjoy that.

Korosenai

Why did I stop playing this game a year ago.... 54 hours in and I really can't remember what's going on. I remember how to play at least, and since I have no idea what good team combinations to use I guess for now i'll just roll with what I was using before I stopped playing: Melia, Dunban, and Shulk. Now to find a guide online somewhere to find out what was happening..

foxuzamaki

Might bite on it, but not at the dumb ebay prices. I can import a brand new copy for less than what people are charging for used copies. Happens with a lot of games, makes me wonder if I should just start a small import game business :lol

the last story is a much better game then FF13 by alot, the characters are waaay more likeable and it doesnt try to be this big grand outlandish story so it doesnt really offend anyone

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
the last story is a much better game then FF13 by alot, the characters are waaay more likeable and it doesnt try to be this big grand outlandish story so it doesnt really offend anyone

I meant in terms of structure. Both are linear corridorfests, Last Story just gives you a hub for the first leg of the game while FFXIII gives you a big open area later in the game. And Last Story's better characters and okay story are countered by its worse combat (IMO). Like I said, it depends on what your priorities are. For those who care a lot about story/characters its easy to see why Last Story could be seen as a significantly better game.

CorvoSol

Got most of the way through
Mechonis
Field today. Stuff is getting so crazy, man. Like
that flashback with Sharla and Gadolt. The fact that Gadolt is alive and how that is going to effect Sharla's budding romance with Reyn. The whole Melia-Shulk-Fiora love triangle is going to be heating up soon.

Can we talk about how, for a forty year old, Legendary Hero, adorable little dwarf Pikachu, married man, Riki is also an incredibly huge jerk? Like when
Melia's dad dies and all Riki does is stand around and throw a fit about how he's hungry.
I mean, maybe
the scene on the Fallen Arm where Dunban says that Riki's most recent bout of whining was done for Melia's sake
is meant to explain his previous actions, but he was up to it again on the way up
Mechonis Field.

Like, he's always saying stuff is boring or that he's hungry at moments that seem to be a little inappropriate. Riki is a funny and enjoyable character, but sometimes he can be the biggest jerkass in the whole party.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Mechonis
that flashback with Sharla and Gadolt. The fact that Gadolt is alive and how that is going to effect Sharla's budding romance with Reyn. The whole Melia-Shulk-Fiora love triangle is going to be heating up soon.

Can we talk about how, for a forty year old, Legendary Hero, adorable little dwarf Pikachu, married man, Riki is also an incredibly huge jerk? Like when
Melia's dad dies and all Riki does is stand around and throw a fit about how he's hungry.
I mean, maybe
the scene on the Fallen Arm where Dunban says that Riki's most recent bout of whining was done for Melia's sake
is meant to explain his previous actions, but he was up to it again on the way up
Mechonis Field.

Like, he's always saying stuff is boring or that he's hungry at moments that seem to be a little inappropriate. Riki is a funny and enjoyable character, but sometimes he can be the biggest jerkass in the whole party.

Yea Riki is awesome. I think he's like that to keep morale up. If not for him everyone would be sad and serious all the time. He does what's necessary.

PK Gaming

Mechonis

I mean, maybe
Mechonis Field.

It's not surprising that you feel that way, Riki is really obnoxious.

He gets a pass for being comic relief, but I never found myself laughing at any of his gimmicks. He's barely involved in the story either(unless you his consider "kawaii-desu" as being involved), so he doesn't get much development (outside of his H2H, which I can't be arsed to see).

EDIT: His voice is awful too.

CorvoSol

It's not surprising that you feel that way, Riki is really obnoxious.

He gets a pass for being comic relief, but I never found myself laughing at any of his gimmicks. He's barely involved in the story either(unless you his consider "kawaii-desu" as being involved), so he doesn't get much development (outside of his H2H, which I can't be arsed to see).

EDIT: His voice is awful too.

I thought his conversation with Dunban was nice. It was more hampered by the need to make Nopon speak baby than by his goofy voice. I also like his being the Fake Legendary Hero, and he's really useful in combat. I think his interactions with Reyn are good, but then, we all know that Reyn is the comedic powerhouse of the team.

Then again there isn't much need for a dedicated comedy character in the cast, because everyone is already so goofy and hammy that there's no need for it. I mean Dunban's so over-the-top-cool that he's a riot, Shulk is a parrot with a sword, Reyn is probably the best version of "angry, red-headed best bro to the hero" I've seen in an RPG because Reyn's anger is never detrimental or annoying, so much as it is funny. Sharla having jiggle physics never ceases to get a laugh out of me, and Melia is so serious that seeing her deal with Reyn is always fun.

I don't have a problem with Riki, though, because while he may not act humorous, he's visually funny as hell. Riki's face and actions are always goofy.

It's just that sometimes he can be a huge jerk, and it seems sorta odd, since he's normally a thoughtful character who is somewhere between the team's mascot and dad.

foxuzamaki

Seriously. I don't know how anybody likes him, because I cringed everytime he spoke.

play with japanese audio, seriously, i dont know how they went the complete opposite direction with riki's voice in english, that isnt what he's suppose to sound like at all

CorvoSol

If Xenoblade characters get in the new Smash, please let them also be in the 3DS version. That said, man oh man oh man, I'd love for some Xenoblade in Smash. Just to fight in Gaur Plains.

foxuzamaki

If Xenoblade characters get in the new Smash, please let them also be in the 3DS version. That said, man oh man oh man, I'd love for some Xenoblade in Smash. Just to fight in Gaur Plains.

every character will be in both versions, however the stages will be platform exclusive, so a xenoblade stage would only be in the wiiU version

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Hopefully there's at least a Xenoblade stage so we can get some of the soundtrack in there too ;)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You know, I'm playing through this again and it's amazing how much more awesome Dunban is than everyone else. Fight giant mechs solo? Check. Actually beat them? Also check. It's just amazing how much cooler he is than literally everyone else. He's basically Aragorn. If they were to ever do a Xenoblade movie they'd have to get Viggo to play him, no one else would work.

foxuzamaki

You know, I'm playing through this again and it's amazing how much more awesome Dunban is than everyone else. Fight giant mechs solo? Check. Actually beat them? Also check. It's just amazing how much cooler he is than literally everyone else. He's basically Aragorn. If they were to ever do a Xenoblade movie they'd have to get Viggo to play him, no one else would work.

dunban is the greatest

CorvoSol

every character will be in both versions, however the stages will be platform exclusive, so a xenoblade stage would only be in the wiiU version

Ah, that's good to hear then, about the both versions thing.

Yo, I'm in
Mechonis Field
and I got the Machina Sword for Dunban, equipped it on him and just started to laugh. I was like "How can you make someone as insanely cool as Dunban COOLER? GIVE HIM A LIGHTSABER. I don't care if there are better swords for him, I will probably use that lightsaber for the rest of the entire game.

Also, I fought
Jade Face
today. I don't really know that
the fact that he IS Gadolt is a spoiler
so much as the revelation that
Gadolt alive is the spoiler, especially since he's largely forgotten or taken for dead for the bulk of the Bionis Quest, and Sharla herself stops talking about him after you leave Colony 6
, so I just sort of conclude that
Jade Face
himself is a spoiler. The point is, though, Sharla is possibly one of my favorite women in a JRPG in a long while. I mean, she's the White Mage and Ms. Fanservice, but on the other hand, I really like her compared to Fiora and Melia. Not that I have a huge problem with them, but Sharla's
actual character, and not so much her design or role in combat is endearing. She's sort of a female Dunban, I think. Like she's got the badass, "I grew up fighting Mechons and watching friends die" story, but she's also really caring toward the other members of the party.

I dunno, I just know she's probably one of my favorite members in this game and one of my favorite women in recent JRPGs. Definitely the best woman in any console JRPG I've played recently, except maybe TLS's Syrenne.

Top Bottom