• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Celegus

Aww man, I was afraid of that...

It's not top-of-the-line, but I'd imagine my PC would be at least decent at running it. I just always figured I'd need some extra equipment to get the wiimote working on PC and never really looked into it. Little late now, but I guess that's an option if I ever feel like playing it again.

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
360 controller works great for this game. For some reason the button prompt patch never worked for me, but the game itself runs great as long as you can use LLE audio (requires quite a powerful PC).

Several reasons that could have gone wrong:
1) You might have just thrown everything in to the folder without realizing there is also a PS3 and a Wii button retexture in there.
2) You need to use the Wii classic controller layout instead of the Wii mote because the Wiimote doens't have enough buttons.
3) Some other reason like you forgot to turn on an option.

You don't really need LLE audio although it's preferred. I've played it with HLE audio and some HLE patch because my computer isn't top of the line and it worked well in most cases. Lagged in a few fights though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The HLE patch helped when I tried using it, but I still got garbled sound occasionally, though far less frequently (after a few hours instead of 10 minutes). Stuck with LLE for the most part but when I wanted to record I had to switch over to HLE.

And I know I turned on the custom textures option. Not sure about the other two though.

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
The HLE patch helped when I tried using it, but I still got garbled sound occasionally, though far less frequently (after a few hours instead of 10 minutes). Stuck with LLE for the most part but when I wanted to record I had to switch over to HLE.

And I know I turned on the custom textures option. Not sure about the other two though.

Yeah. It does garble once in awhile. At least for me, it was garbled for like the first 5 min and then it would disappear as if the game emulator was "burning in." Probably not the case, but I would turn the game on and leave it on for a bit to get rid of the issue.

Argh! I'm stuck on Egil in his golden-mechon fight at Meyneth Shrine. What characters did you guys use and what level were you? I'm using Shulk, Sharla, & Riki (all of whom are level 68.)

My Arts are all stuck at level VII since I'm not really the type of player that enjoys farming for rare item-drops...

Am I just under-leveled here?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You should be able to beat it at that level and especially with that party since they can beat about anything through attrition if you're using a good art setup.

If you want to use that party make sure you're using Sharla's healing arts (duh!), have Riki use his damage over time arts along with his healing, and just do whatever with Shulk saving the talent guage for when you need to block a vision with Shield/Armor/Speed.

If you want to cheese it even more you can use Shulk/Reyn/7th and try to topple lock him. You probably don't have the equipment or skills to do it, but even if you can keep him down most of the time you should be able to beat him without too much trouble.

So I'm like 80 hours in and at level 66 (absolutely loving the game too) and I thought it might be about time I start using skill links since they seem to be important according to this thread.

I rarely play RPGs especially Japanese ones so I'm not the best at these types of games. I've never been good at figuring out what skills I should pick or level up so I'm not sure what skills I should start linking. Anyone have any suggestions of which ones I definitely should be linking. Probably a silly question since it most likely depends on my play style but any help would be appreciated.

It has been a long time since I played but a skill I linked early was Equipment weight - skills. They are basically free agility (they act as a total equipment weight buffer) which is your accuracy and avoid.

Some characters I liked to combine double attack gems on their weapons with double attacks always critical. Though to be honest, critical hits do not do a great deal more damage and it was quite a bit of coins too.

Otherwise try to go for stats in characters areas or anything you have coins/slots for (skills that are good matter more than filling all your slots or using every coin). The EXP boosting ones are not necessary given how much EXP the game throws at you and how the curve works (in my last play through I avoid them and the ones Riki has meant he was, at most a level ahead of the rest of the party).

Also, you can unlink and change skills anytime. I think there was a gem crafting one or two which are worth putting on when doing those actions but taking off after.

Also at that point of the game provided you remember to swap skill trees the starting three should be near maxed out for most party members (the one you have selected gives you a stat boost, it says the stat somewhere on the screen the skills from other trees stay active).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The extra damage from critical hits is their least important benefit (though any extra damage is always nice, especially in a game that loves offense as much as Xenoblade). They fill up the party gauge, and with a skill from Dunban they also heal you. But linking those is expensive, especially since he's doing the story and not post-game content.

Linking +Agility and -Weight (but not too many since eventually these will have no benefit since your equip weight will eventually hit 0) is a good start, particularly for your tank (doubly so if said tank is light armor Dunban w/ Serene Heart). +Strength/Ether is also good depending on the character.

Just as important as factoring in your party and playstyle is also the number of affinity coins you have. You get one for each level and for each unique enemy you beat, so you could have anywhere from 70 to nearly 200 at that point.

Thanks for the quick response guys. Now that I'm messing around with it, it's a pretty cool system. Plenty to swap around now that I've finally got all the 4th skill trees.

Okay, I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure this out. Does anyone know the name of the track that plays in a couple cutscenes during epic moments? I know it isn't much to go off of but I'm going crazy here.

EDIT: You have to be kidding me, I found it right after posting this...

evanmisha

"Thank you for purchasing Xenoblade Chronicles. By completing this survey you will earn 50 coins."

Just managed to snag a copy of this used at Gamestop today, and it even had an unused Club Nintendo code. Life is sweet

evanmisha

My man, you got a nice deal.

You won't regret a single cent you invested into this. :)

It was no dumb luck, either. Had to get a small town Gamestop on the other side of the country to ship it to mine. It was actually my second time doing this, too... The first time, an employee at the store I called snatched it up and never shipped it. From what I know, I got Gamestop's last used copy in the country. Couldn't be happier

ChuyMasta

Hey guys. Is there a 100% walkthrough that includes the order in which to complete side quests? I'm starting a file but it's kinda discouraging not knowing how many sidequests I can complete and thus waste time trying to trigger them before I'm supposed to (Because I don't know)

I looked at the Wiki, but it only has a list of the sidequests in each area.

I'm looking for a walkthrough similar to this:

Wind waker, Building a collection
It advances the plot, then it says "Hunting" or "Gathering" section and so the guide devotes to complete sidequests.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

dewdrop

Banned
Got my WiiU yesterday, decided to knock out some Wii games I missed by skipping that one: this baby's going to be my first. Better late than never?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys. Is there a 100% walkthrough that includes the order in which to complete side quests? I'm starting a file but it's kinda discouraging not knowing how many sidequests I can complete and thus waste time trying to trigger them before I'm supposed to (Because I don't know)

I looked at the Wiki, but it only has a list of the sidequests in each area.

I'm looking for a walkthrough similar to this:

Wind waker, Building a collection
It advances the plot, then it says "Hunting" or "Gathering" section and so the guide devotes to complete sidequests.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

I was actually dabbling with making something like that a while back. This game is so huge with so much stuff to go over it would probably take months of dedication.

Got my WiiU yesterday, decided to knock out some Wii games I missed by skipping that one: this baby's going to be my first. Better late than never?

Absolutely. But, and this is coming from a total Xenoblade fanboy, don't go in with your expectations too high — this game has its flaws. But it is a must-have if you like RPGs.

Celegus

Totally 100% of course! It's not like it's that old. This was pretty much the only game I played for the first 3 months of this year. So good.

ChuyMasta

I was actually dabbling with making something like that a while back. This game is so huge with so much stuff to go over it would probably take months of dedication.

I see. I found a walktrhough that sort of does what I want. I also ended up sorting the quests by experience given...on a spreadsheet. That also gives you a really good idea on when they can be done.

And FFFFFFFFFFUCK! This game has random item drops with abysmal drop rates on some of them. Why must I be punished like so if I want to 100% this game? =(

I don't like this! Last RPG I gave up on 100% was FFCC for the exact same reason. Screw this! I'm upset now.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mind linking that spreadsheet?

It's in the OP that nobody reads. It's filled to the brim with spoilers, but if that doesn't bother you: here.

And if you really want to 100% this game I hope you enjoy your 300 or so hours. Getting all the achievements and records is a very time consuming task.

evanmisha

It's in the OP that nobody reads. It's filled to the brim with spoilers, but if that doesn't bother you: here.

And if you really want to 100% this game I hope you enjoy your 300 or so hours. Getting all the achievements and records is a very time consuming task.

Based on the way he worded it, and the fact that this spreedsheat doesn't include exp rewards, I'm gonna bet that isn't the spreadsheet he was referring to. Thanks, though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
All GameStop shenanigans and tin foil hats aside, I'm glad i was finally able to grab this under $90.

Just starting out. Messing around in the city. Battle system is really clever. Music is really omfg amazing.

Could not be happier. Using the CC. Is that the way to go or are there those who prefer wiimote?

Now I finally get the GAF hype around X!!!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Both control options are fine. Classic controller gives you slightly better camera control due to the second analog stick, remote+chuck gives you slightly better control in battle since you can move and select arts at the same time more easily.

Most people seem to prefer the classic controller.

Terra

Just starting out. Messing around in the city. Battle system is really clever. Music is really omfg amazing.

Could not be happier. Using the CC. Is that the way to go or are there those who prefer wiimote?

Now I finally get the GAF hype around X!!!

It is a masterpiece, sadly I lost focus on the game about 30 hours in, and haven´t been able to get into it afterwards. But you are in for a treat!

Take some time to get to know the city and the world as you explore it. It is a big one!

I enjoy playing with the Nunchuck actually. Haven´t tried with the CC.

This walkthrough seems to have that (it lists quests in order of unlock during the walkthrough...some are a tad impractical though). It is not great at marking spoilers (the contents lists arena names but late boss strategies obscure the names a bit). Remember, this will make that playthrough an utter chore (especially if you've missed some).

upandaway

My issue with the Nunchuck controls was that you had to press a button to then press on the d-pad to rotate the camera (and even with the button pressed, it had a slight delay between pressing the d-pad and the camera moving). With the CC, it's just the right analog, and instantaneous.

I go hardcore with camera movement, so that was a big deal. I was pretty much holding the button non-stop which hurt, and the slight lag on top of that.

Terra

This thread is amazing, really gives inspiration to play. I have just decided to start a fresh game. Will fit perfect for the weekends and some nice after work-entertainment. Will try a different and more interesting party this time.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Keep thinking "geez, I should go back and finish this game, I don't think I was too far from the end"

But it's also been months since I've played it, and don't remember much of it.

flyover

I go hardcore with camera movement, so that was a big deal. I was pretty much holding the button non-stop which hurt, and the slight lag on top of that.

Yeah, I'm the same way with the camera. I'm constantly swinging it around, so the CC was the way to go for me, too.

This walkthrough seems to have that (it lists quests in order of unlock during the walkthrough...some are a tad impractical though). It is not great at marking spoilers (the contents lists arena names but late boss strategies obscure the names a bit). Remember, this will make that playthrough an utter chore (especially if you've missed some).

I agree. If this is your first playthrough, I would strongly advise against trying to 100% the game. Just enjoy the ride — it's a pretty easy game once you master the combat system and get a lot of agility gems, so it's not like you have to power grind sidequests in order to beat it.

If you've already beaten the game then ignore my above advice. I'll probably do a 100% run one day. I've beaten the game like 4 times already though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That walkthrough is about as un-in-depth as you can get. I guess listing all the quests available at any given point is nice though. Only browsed part of it but the author didn't really explain much of anything about what you are actually doing through that section of the game, just "there's a boss here, kill it, then..."

The one I was writing felt more like a full on strategy guide with data tables, screenshots, and everything. :lol

CorvoSol

Just got to Alcamoth and the game's clicked with me now. Oh man these Entia are stylish as hell. Can't believe I still have half the game to go! And I only have a month left before I have to stop!

I bought this game at launch, but I haven't been able to play it until this summer break.

Big spoilers:

I just finished Mechonis Core and holy crap, that was one of the best cutscenes I've watched in a video game in a very long time, even though becomes a bit melodramatic towards the end.

http://i.imgur.com/ulwLXxM.png
http://i.imgur.com/5ITbl1l.png

Also, can someone tell me the level of the final boss of the game? I want to make sure I can face him at a level that is actually challenging.

Also, can someone tell me the level of the final boss of the game? I want to make sure I can face him at a level that is actually challenging.

~78

Fight it around 70 or below if you're feeling gutsy (or are chaosblade), ~74-5 if you want a rough-ish time. 80+ is when you can steamroll your way to victory.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's actually 83.

Fighting it at 78 should be a decent challenge for most players. Once you hit 80 or so, assuming you've gotten a solid grasp of the game mechanics, it becomes pretty easy.

I found it too easy at 77 though. 55, however, was... difficult.

JulianImp

I think it's actually 83.

Fighting it at 78 should be a decent challenge for most players. Once you hit 80 or so, assuming you've gotten a solid grasp of the game mechanics, it becomes pretty easy.

I found it too easy at 77 though. 55, however, was... difficult.

I think I beat it at 74, and it didn't give me any problems at all. By then, my 7th hit like a truck and let me set up some sweet topple chains (even with no topple plus gems) ending in 7th's talent art (that damage output!).

Terra

Well, started up again as said. Just in the beginning...just wondering, is there a 'best' party set up of characters? What are your personal favourites?

upandaway

Well, started up again as said. Just in the beginning...just wondering, is there a 'best' party set up of characters? What are your personal favourites?
It took me at least half the game to get comfortable with heavy experimenting (following suggestions in the thread), but once I finally did, I was rotating them all over the place and had way more fun with the battle system. I was switching at least once an hour or something, with some set ups more common the others.

I'm confident that's the way of playing that the game was designed around. Basically rotate characters on the smallest whims possible. If you have a strategy with a certain team, that's all cool and fancy, but also kinda boring when extended to greater length than a couple of hours.

CorvoSol

When I'm just goofing around I like to use Shulk, Dunban, and Sharla. If stuff gets too hard, though, I tend to swap Dunban and Sharla for Melia and Riki.

Top Bottom