• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Even though it's not as active, the peeps in this thread still regularly answer questions when asked. So I'm guessing that a lot of people have this thread in their subscription list and still lurk it like me. ;)

Read the OP.

Try out different character combinations, don't stick with the initial party through the entire game.

Take advantage of skills and skill links, they can make a huge difference.

Unless you intend to spend a TON of time on your first playthrough, don't do all the quests. Just accept them, and maybe go out of your way to do a handful if you feel like it. A lot of the generic quests will be completed as you go through the game (kill x of this, collect y of that).

For something a little more advanced, try to find and fight the named enemies. They give the best drops relative to their level, often better than anything you can buy in stores at that point in the game. They also give you more affinity coins for skill links, and give boat loads of experience and AP.

Since you can get the best equipment at any given point from drops, it's a good idea to prioritize buying the intermediate art books with your money instead of weapons and armor.

There's also the Xenoblade wiki, but as with all game wikis it's easy to run into an unintentional spoiler.

To elaborate a little on the bolded: You only get one affinity coin per unique monster. Killing the same unique monster over and over will not give you any more coins, but it can still be a good idea if you want to farm those sweet, sweet gold chest drops (unique mobs always drop gold chests, which contain the best item drops).

Be warned though: unique monsters are very tough. And later on most of them will have spike effects. You will likely get your ass kicked by a few of them throughout the game
fucking Breezy Zolos and those two giant mechons
. Feel free to come in and ask us how to beat the ones that are giving you trouble.

Dunbar

Does anyone have any general combat tips? Now that I have so many battle mechanics (affinity, arts, talent arts, combat states, battle affinity, aggro, positioning, tension all seem to play into battle now), I'm feeling pretty lost. I'm still in the first area and my party is routinely being killed by the smallest groups of low level enemies. I wish the combat was turn based because there is a lot to keep track of.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have any general combat tips? Now that I have so many battle mechanics (affinity, arts, talent arts, combat states, battle affinity, aggro, positioning, tension all seem to play into battle now), I'm feeling pretty lost. I'm still in the first area and my party is routinely being killed by the smallest groups of low level enemies. I wish the combat was turn based because there is a lot to keep track of.

You want to have a tank character for enemies to attack, early on it should be Reyn due to his high HP and defense. You'll want to outfit him with better defensive armor instead of lighter armor (for now that should be medium armor, but he as a very easily available skill for heavy armor if you check the skill tree). I don't know if you have two or three characters at this point, but with Shulk and Reyn you will want Shulk to attack whatever enemy Reyn is fighting. That way Reyn can hold aggro and Shulk can just attack and occasionally heal Reyn.

There is a button (or combination) you can use to direct the AI to attack certain ways (focus attacks on one enemy, fight whatever they want, or do nothing), you shouldn't need to use that much if at all, but it's there if you need it. I think it mentions how to do it under the minimap.

Make sure you're leveling up your arts, since that will reduce the cooldown, make them stronger, and improve their effects.

You can also take advantage of chain attacks and toppling. The game will drill that in during some event scenes if you haven't seen them yet.

The game has a lot of systems, but once you start getting the hang of it you'll realize it's not too much to handle. Tension shouldn't matter at all in the beginning of the game, it primarily only drops when attacks miss and anything you'll miss a lot against you shouldn't be fighting now.

Also, if the enemies you happen to be fighting are unique enemies that could be why they cause you trouble. They're stronger than their level suggests, but provide great rewards if you can beat them. You can usually see a difference visually, they'll be bigger or different colored than their standard counterparts, have a border around their nameplate, have a unique name, and when you fight them you'll have a different battle theme.

Dunbar

That is all really helpful, thanks. I only have 2 characters right now, Shulk and the girl. I've seen the named enemies you're talking about, but it's the little regular enemies you get from the "Kill X Monsters" quests in Colony 9 that are killing me. Next time I play I'm going to spend a while just fighting stuff to try and get the combat down.

Hey dudes, I just ordered this in the gamestop black friday deal. I'm super hyped. Is there anything I should do to prepare for my first time playing this?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hey dudes, I just ordered this in the gamestop black friday deal. I'm super hyped. Is there anything I should do to prepare for my first time playing this?

Read up on this page, some responses to basically the same question 5-10 posts up.

And if you have questions just ask, someone will probably respond before too long.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I'm finally going to do this. I'm finally going to play this game

Xenogears is my favorite game of all time

Bought a Wii last year with the only game being a $50 sealed copy of Xenoblade. Could never bring myself to open it after it shot up in price (also couldn't find the time to sit down and play an 80 hour game).

Bought a Wii U earlier this month for X. Was also hoping that being able to play Xenoblade on the gamepad would be perfect for playing a bit before bed each night (turns out it just turns the gamepad into a tiny TV, but good enough). Once again stopped short from opening the sealed copy when I heard GS was having a black friday sale on the reprints. Just ordered one of the GS reprints and will feel no remorse in playing that baby. It's been a long time coming but I'm gonna force myself to do it this time.

flyover

Good for you! I bet the value you get from your enjoyment of it will far outweigh its worth as a collectible.

Try to avoid reading too much about the game while you play it, if you can. That said, if you've been spoiled on anything, it's still well worth your time.

Thanks.

Do I have to grind in this game? I am on the Bionis Leg and the tentacle boss is super hard (level 15)

nah, you don't need to grind if you're playing causually
(fun fact: this might be one of the few RPGs where grinding is a thing in speedruns)

also, general tip: use agility gems once you get to level 3 gems, then you can hit higher level enemies more consistently

Xenogears is my favorite game of all time

Bought a Wii last year with the only game being a $50 sealed copy of Xenoblade. Could never bring myself to open it after it shot up in price (also couldn't find the time to sit down and play an 80 hour game).

Bought a Wii U earlier this month for X. Was also hoping that being able to play Xenoblade on the gamepad would be perfect for playing a bit before bed each night (turns out it just turns the gamepad into a tiny TV, but good enough). Once again stopped short from opening the sealed copy when I heard GS was having a black friday sale on the reprints. Just ordered one of the GS reprints and will feel no remorse in playing that baby. It's been a long time coming but I'm gonna force myself to do it this time.

Get ready for amazingness. Post your impressions here, always nice to see someone else dive into the great world of Xenoblade.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Good for you! I bet the value you get from your enjoyment of it will far outweigh its worth as a collectible.

Try to avoid reading too much about the game while you play it, if you can. That said, if you've been spoiled on anything, it's still well worth your time.
Yeah unfortunately already read about
Fiora dying, and perhaps coming back later as a robo girl.
Knowing Takahashi though, getting spoiled on any one twist in one of his games is incredibly insignificant to the multitude of twists that will unravel as the story comes together.

Get ready for amazingness. Post your impressions here, always nice to see someone else dive into the great world of Xenoblade.
Will do!

Knowing Takahashi though, getting spoiled on any one twist in one of his games is incredibly insignificant to the multitude of twists that will unravel as the story comes together.

Yikes! Yes that is a bit of a spoiler but you're right that in the scheme of things it isn't very significant.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Will do!

Thats one hell of a spoiler to find out about considering its one that is the reason why you "start the game" in a sense
referring to the finding out she becomes a cyborg part

Thats one hell of a spoiler to find out about considering its one that is the reason why you "start the game" in a sense
referring to the finding out she becomes a cyborg part

Yeah but he was right that it isn't too significant when it comes to the overall story. Plus, a lot of people claimed they saw that one coming anyway. I sure didn't, but to each his own. There are much worse spoilers he could have gotten.

Crayons

Banned
So I just bought this game, posted a pic of it on Facebook, then my friend messages me a few minutes later saying "Hey man you got a 8.5GB DVD I can have?"

XVS8mKD.gif

I started this tonight on my WiiU (thanks GameStop Black Friday deal) all I can say is wow!

Yeah the graphics are a little rough but everything else is what I have been wanting in a JRPG for years!

I'm blown away!

I played about 2 hours on the game pad and 2 more on the TV. The gamepad hides some flaws but overall I prefer playing on the TV.

Game is so good.

I started this tonight on my WiiU (thanks GameStop Black Friday deal) all I can say is wow!

Yeah the graphics are a little rough but everything else is what I have been wanting in a JRPG for years!

I'm blown away!

I played about 2 hours on the game pad and 2 more on the TV. The gamepad hides some flaws but overall I prefer playing on the TV.

Game is so good.
You aren't even into the game yet, if you are liking it now just wait until you are even further into the game, shit is hype.

foxuzamaki

I'm blown away!

Game is so good.

What area are you in?

ssjali

I'm blown away!

Game is so good.

The game is overall awesome. The soundtrack is my personal favourite of the last gen, a true masterpiece.

I really love it that they inserted day and night themes for every region.

I wanted to do this (not NG+) but without grinding (which is basically cheating in this game) I realized where I'd get stuck so I didn't bother.

.....eh if you can clear the game while being >15 levels under every boss past Sword Valley I'm sure you can do it at level parity with one character
(except maybe
Lorithia
)

also nice avatar
why are you a Bama fan, we could've been friends

:p

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I actually didn't have a boss in mind, but a brief section where you get kind of swarmed by enemies around halfwayish through the game (maybe a little further). Even with a good enough setup I probably wouldn't be able to actually kill the enemies without excessive grinding since Dunban would spend all his time dodging and nearly none of it attacking.

Maybe hit and run tactics or spike damage would work. Very slowly, but still. That would just make the main challenge the strong enemy arts that start showing up around that point. I can think of a couple that could probably 1HKO Dunban which means get lucky or grind, and neither seem fun. Xenoblade doesn't seem like a good game for a single character challenge (unless that character is Shulk - yawn).

And Google seems to think my avatar was by Kakusei n°2. I don't know for sure.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Shulk is absolutely useful, with Monado arts he's without question the most broken character in the game. A couple other characters can deal damage more quickly but in terms of all around utility nobody tops Shulk.

Reyn is better for crowd control than Dunban, but that's about the only advantage I'd give him in general.

Sharla is the most useless as a whole. She's primarily built as a support character but is worse at that job than Shulk while also being the worst damage dealer with bad art options for chains.

Sharla is the most useless as a whole. She's primarily built as a support character but is worse at that job than Shulk while also being the worst damage dealer with bad art options for chains.

also Riki's healing is generally sufficient
Riki>Shulk, don't give a damn about utility

xabi

Just bought this over the weekend on the $40 gamestop deal.

I have been forcing myself to literally read NOTHING about this game over the last year until I could get my hands on it and I am so impressed with it. Only 3 hrs in, and just have been doing a few side quests around the town.

Love the battle system so far (I can see it getting really fun), like the characters, love the music, like the over world and town design, and the different upgrading options look interesting, if a little overwhelming.

Looking forward to 50-100hrs of this puppy...

Agree with chaos that Shulk is beyond broken in the late/postgame. His Monado arts alone make him the most useful character, and (endgame spoiler)
he does great damage with the Monado III

I have been forcing myself to literally read NOTHING about this game over the last year until I could get my hands on it and I am so impressed with it. Only 3 hrs in, and just have been doing a few side quests around the town.

Love the battle system so far (I can see it getting really fun), like the characters, love the music, like the over world and town design, and the different upgrading options look interesting, if a little overwhelming.

Hehehehe, and that's just the main storyline. If you do postgame or NG+ stuff you'll be amazed at how the hours fly by! Looking at an old post of mine from July 2012 I already had 181 hours played on my first playthrough. :O

foxuzamaki

How far are you in the story?

Agree with chaos that Shulk is beyond broken in the late/postgame. His Monado arts alone make him the most useful character, and (endgame spoiler)
he does great damage with the Monado III

Hehehehe, and that's just the main storyline. If you do postgame or NG+ stuff you'll be amazed at how the hours fly by! Looking at an old post of mine from July 2012 I already had 181 hours played on my first playthrough. :O

only 181?

damn dude
also you don't even need Shulk in postgame to wreck stuff, get better :p

I bought this game back in October with my Wii U and a bunch of other Wii games, but I just started it on Sunday after beating Tales of Xillia and ALBW. I'm 4-5 hours in at the moment. At first, I could appreciate the amazing soundtrack and the combat to a much more minute degree, but once
Shulk gets the Monado and shit hits the fan
I haven't had a moment that I didn't want to just keep playing. I'm at work now, dying inside that I can't play. It doesn't help that one of my friends has been particularly annoying since he just got Payday 2 and the poor guy absolutely sucks at it, consistently blowing all our stealth attempts, but that's neither here nor there. I'm thinking I'm going to fall off the grid for a week with my multiplayer friends and give this game the attention it deserves.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
totally late, but yes it is:
http://sokagensou.deviantart.com/art/Lucina-Fire-Emblem-Kakusei-n-deg-2-358526975

seriously, deviantart man?

Not going to discriminate against awesome art because of where it apparently came from. I actually found it on some random forum months ago while searching for something, and reverse image searched it.

And you don't need Shulk in the post-game but that doesn't make him not the most broken character. Anything is easier with him there because the Monado arts are overpowered.

foxuzamaki

I bought this game back in October with my Wii U and a bunch of other Wii games, but I just started it on Sunday after beating Tales of Xillia and ALBW. I'm 4-5 hours in at the moment. At first, I could appreciate the amazing soundtrack and the combat to a much more minute degree, but once
Shulk gets the Monado and shit hits the fan
I haven't had a moment that I didn't want to just keep playing. I'm at work now, dying inside that I can't play. It doesn't help that one of my friends has been particularly annoying since he just got Payday 2 and the poor guy absolutely sucks at it, consistently blowing all our stealth attempts, but that's neither here nor there. I'm thinking I'm going to fall off the grid for a week with my multiplayer friends and give this game the attention it deserves.

Really glad your enjoying it.

Not going to discriminate against awesome art because of where it apparently came from. I actually found it on some random forum months ago while searching for something, and reverse image searched it.

And you don't need Shulk in the post-game but that doesn't make him not the most broken character. Anything is easier with him there because the Monado arts are overpowered.

I was joking about the first part :p

and what's the fun of running through postgame without a challenge xD

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Dunban is so fun to play as. I alternated between him and Shulk all the time.

I plan on doing a Melia playthrough at some point...

Top Bottom