• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Finally started playing, about 5 hours in
looking for Ju Ju after getting Sharla
. Not liking the battle system that much (also keep dying to some mobs). Playing on a Wii U so the game looks terrible lol, especially the face textures/animations.

Story has been a bit of a drag so far but I'm expecting some classic Takahashi complexity by the end.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Finally started playing, about 5 hours in
looking for Ju Ju after getting Sharla
. Not liking the battle system that much (also keep dying to some mobs). Playing on a Wii U so the game looks terrible lol, especially the face textures/animations.

Story has been a bit of a drag so far but I'm expecting some classic Takahashi complexity by the end.

err, the game actually looks better on wiiU lol

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I mean compared to running it in dolphin (which hiccups too much on my PC). It looks fine on the gamepad but the upscaled jaggies on my monitor are killing me.

Many people have complained about Xenoblade's combat system. I really like it. It's never grown stale to me and I've played a lot of this game. One giant upgrade it could use, and which I really really hope to see in X, is greater control over your AI teammates. People have mentioned the Gambit system from a Final Fantasy game. I have no idea what that is but if it gives you influence over your teammates I am all for something similar.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So far my problem with it is that I'm doing the same thing for every enemy in every fight using the same skills in the same order because it seems the most effective.

The cooldown also seems kind of strange, like I activate the monado enchant at the start of a mechon mob, but if I kill them too fast and move onto the next mob, the enchant isn't recharged by the time the second fight starts and everyone is doing 1 damage until it does.

Also haven't gotten used to the targeting yet, maybe because of the clutter and the marker is hard to see, but I sometimes target some far off enemy in the distance that's not even engaged in the battle when I'm trying to switch to an enemy right in front of me.

smoothj

Starting the game today when I get home from work. Gonna cook up some Soondubu on this cold night and game it up. The GF has a lot of K-Dramas to catch up on so the tv is all mine!

I'm excited. Any tips for starters?

foxuzamaki

Many people have complained about Xenoblade's combat system. I really like it. It's never grown stale to me and I've played a lot of this game. One giant upgrade it could use, and which I really really hope to see in X, is greater control over your AI teammates. People have mentioned the Gambit system from a Final Fantasy game. I have no idea what that is but if it gives you influence over your teammates I am all for something similar.
That is my thoughts aswell, I want more control over characters like sharla so I can get the right person healed when I need it
So far my problem with it is that I'm doing the same thing for every enemy in every fight using the same skills in the same order because it seems the most effective.

The cooldown also seems kind of strange, like I activate the monado enchant at the start of a mechon mob, but if I kill them too fast and move onto the next mob, the enchant isn't recharged by the time the second fight starts and everyone is doing 1 damage until it does.

Also haven't gotten used to the targeting yet, maybe because of the clutter and the marker is hard to see, but I sometimes target some far off enemy in the distance that's not even engaged in the battle when I'm trying to switch to an enemy right in front of me.
I dont get what you mean that your doing the same thing in every fight, are you referring to the break>topple>daze system? you dont have to do that for every enemy

That is my thoughts aswell, I want more control over characters like sharla so I can get the right person healed when I need it

if you need active healing, you fucked up
I have yet to find a case where this isn't true in Xenoblade, outside of like maybe the
Xord
fights near the beginning of the game

1. I assume you're in earlygame? because later there's stuff that can't be toppled at all, or have spikes and whatnot
2. ah, the Monado's talent gauge fills up by auto-attacking, you need 3 attacks to fill it up from the halfway point (5 if completely empty) without any boosts
3. uh....I got nothing

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I dont get what you mean that your doing the same thing in every fight, are you referring to the break>topple>daze system? you dont have to do that for every enemy
Yeah something like that. So far regardless of what enemy I've fought I always approach from behind and do the back attack skill -> front attack break when they turn around -> side attack skills -> maybe heal/de-aggro -> repeat

I just kind of want some more strategy where I'll have to respond to elemental weaknesses or something along those lines. I heard the battle system opens up a lot more later though, just finding myself preferring to skip fights when I can right now

foxuzamaki

if you need active healing, you fucked up
I have yet to find a case where this isn't true in Xenoblade, outside of like maybe the
Xord
fights near the beginning of the game

1. I assume you're in earlygame? because later there's stuff that can't be toppled at all, or have spikes and whatnot
2. ah, the Monado's talent gauge fills up by auto-attacking, you need 3 attacks to fill it up from the halfway point (5 if completely empty) without any boosts
3. uh....I got nothing
thats actually specifically what im referring to, I didnt need sharla more than I did in that fight, it was ridiculous
Yeah something like that. So far regardless of what enemy I've fought I always approach from behind and do the back attack skill -> front attack break when they turn around -> side attack skills -> maybe heal/de-aggro -> repeat

I just kind of want some more strategy where I'll have to respond to elemental weaknesses or something along those lines. I heard the battle system opens up a lot more later though, just finding myself preferring to skip fights when I can right now

yeah it does open more the further you get into the game, right now you might aswell still be at the title screen in terms of actual progress(from when you last said you left off)

not really related, but who's your favorite characters?
Riki like fighting easy monsters!
also Melia kills stuff and is pretty cute <3

Riki was annoying.

boo-this-man.gif

Dunban is awesome though, who needs Shulk :p

Wichu

I think my favourite's pretty obvious :p

I also liked Dunban, Melia, and Alvis. Alvis was such a tease throughout the story
WHO'S SIDE IS HE EVEN ON

icy_eagle

My biggest issue is targeting the enemy I want to target, which is important when you want not aggro/not aggro a specific enemy. It's way too cumbersome and reliant on luck. I like it otherwise.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest issue is targeting the enemy I want to target, which is important when you want not aggro/not aggro a specific enemy. It's way too cumbersome and reliant on luck. I like it otherwise.

You can change targets, it didn't really feel cumbersome to me. It didn't always switch in a sensible order, maybe that's what you mean?

I think FFXII's gambit system was too much of a part of the gameplay, but something based on it that allowed similar customization with making it such an active part of the game would be great. Don't make the player unlock slots and options, give each art options from the start allowing the player to determine when and how it should be used.

And throw those settings out the window for the player character, unlike gambits. Part of the reason you have to rely on them in XII is the battle UI is really slow and clunky, so it's tedious to NOT use gambits on your character. I'd rather just use them for the other party members and have a decent UI to control my character myself.

I think my favourite's pretty obvious :p

I also liked Dunban, Melia, and Alvis. Alvis was such a tease throughout the story
WHO'S SIDE IS HE EVEN ON

who, Reyn? :p

also holy crap Riki's Japanese voice sounds like an obnoxious little girl, which one of you people said it was better

and hey chaosblade, who's your favorite
Awakening
Xenoblade character

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just got to makna forest, getting that
we're all just ignorant peasants in a super technologically advanced world
vibe

foxuzamaki

I'm on my 2nd full playthrough and I just entered a battle where I can play as dickson, after the boss battle with
xord
, this might be the only time you get to actually play as him in the game. Play as him, meaning you can put him in your actual party, you cant make him your main party member tho.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm on my 2nd full playthrough and I just entered a battle where I can play as dickson, after the boss battle with
xord
, this might be the only time you get to actually play as him in the game. Play as him, meaning you can put him in your actual party, you cant make him your main party member tho.

You can do that on the first playthrough as well. Shame I can't take his Unbeatable VI off of him. Can you even make an Unbeatable VI?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You can do that on the first playthrough as well. Shame I can't take his Unbeatable VI off of him. Can you even make an Unbeatable VI?

Deinos Sauros drops the V crystal. 50% activation rate for Megaheat I think.

And don't forget you get Dickson in your party during the tutorial.

Hey guys I just started playing this, and damn I am enjoying it alot so far. I am not a fan of the camera and was wondering if using a Pro controller would be better? and Is there any way of connecting my wii to use hdmi cords?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Just started and this game is already giving me more hype for X.

foxuzamaki

Hey guys I just started playing this, and damn I am enjoying it alot so far. I am not a fan of the camera and was wondering if using a Pro controller would be better? and Is there any way of connecting my wii to use hdmi cords?

you can move the camera in the wiimote and nunchuck control scheme incase you didnt know, but pro controller is better at, as a tradeoff you cannot move and use arts at the same time

YaGaMi

The last RPG I played was FFXII, I don't have much time for games but I just bought Xenoblade and a classic controller. I don't know when but I look forward to playing this sometime as Xenogears and Chrono Trigger are my 2 favourite RPGs of all time.

I've been lurking NeoGAF for years and just discovered the community section. I want to replay Xenoblade so bad but i just have way too many games at the moment to get through. It's seriously one of the greatest RPG games i have ever played. I loved every minute of it.

foxuzamaki

I've been lurking NeoGAF for years and just discovered the community section. I want to replay Xenoblade so bad but i just have way too many games at the moment to get through. It's seriously one of the greatest RPG games i have ever played. I loved every minute of it.

Glad you enjoyed it so much :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
though I'm curious, does anyone know some difficulty hacks for this game? (preferably for Dolphin)

The only ones I've seen are experience reduction (or disabling outright). Never got the reduction one to work right, it always instantly made me level 99 after one fight which was the opposite of what I wanted.

Might be other stuff now too, haven't looked into it since the NA release.

The only ones I've seen are experience reduction (or disabling outright). Never got the reduction one to work right, it always instantly made me level 99 after one fight which was the opposite of what I wanted.

Might be other stuff now too, haven't looked into it since the NA release.

I was thinking of something to disable combat experience altogether, but meh

anyway, one of the biggest scrub mistakes I've seen: using
Monado Purge
before the
Telethia
activates its aura
(also not purging away Super Aura, tsk tsk)

I need some help. I'm at the penultimate boss and at Lv. 77. I'm fairly certain I'll need to grind one or two more levels, but I want to make sure I'm not missing some obvious strategy. I'm running Shulk/Dunban/Sharla and just letting Dunban absorb aggro while I Monado Speed him. My problem is that the boss's moves do way too much damage so I'm stuck using the party bar to heal with Sharla constantly.

Any suggestions with what I should do? I'd prefer to stick with my current party.

I need some help. I'm at the penultimate boss and at Lv. 77. I'm fairly certain I'll need to grind one or two more levels, but I want to make sure I'm not missing some obvious strategy. I'm running Shulk/Dunban/Sharla and just letting Dunban absorb aggro while I Monado Speed him. My problem is that the boss's moves do way too much damage so I'm stuck using the party bar to heal with Sharla constantly.

Any suggestions with what I should do? I'd prefer to stick with my current party.

are you talking about
Dickson

if so, ....wait what, Dunban should not be taking damage if you're jacking up his agility stat
if Dunban doesn't have max agility, you should probably fix that
(personally, I wouldn't even use Sharla at all)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Dunban shouldn't be getting hit there, especially if you're putting Monado Speed on him and he's using Serene Heart. Light armor, max agility with gems, agility skill links, the works.

Honestly, if he's using Serene Heart that makes Monado Speed kind of redundant. I'd only use it if a red vision tag comes up and is going to hit. Otherwise use armor or just save the talent art for a vision.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
I'm an old JRPG fanatic from an era long lost, and after snoozing on the genre and sustaining on PS1-era replays through the PS3/Wii generation (aside from playing Eternal Sonata, FFXIII, and Lost Odyssey/Blue Dragon), I finally got a Wii U and bought both Last Story and Xenoblade.

After beating Last Story in just shy of 20 hours, I'm now ready to tackle Xenoblade for the first time ever.

Any pro tips before I dive in?

I'm an old JRPG fanatic from an era long lost, and after snoozing on the genre and sustaining on PS1-era replays through the PS3/Wii generation (aside from playing Eternal Sonata, FFXIII, and Lost Odyssey/Blue Dragon), I finally got a Wii U and bought both Last Story and Xenoblade.

After beating Last Story in just shy of 20 hours, I'm now ready to tackle Xenoblade for the first time ever.

Try not to obsess over doing EVERY sidequest. Do enough of "find and kill x monsters or get items" etc. Most things can be found by exploring the map and following story pointers.

Change up your party to see how different characters work. Don't just rely on being Shulk as main character, and rotate in others to see their differences. They all offer very different playstyles which are worth learning. I relied too much on a certain character with a gun (Sharla) and it ended up hurting me in the long run.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

My post here and the 10ish posts after it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=90341522#post90341522

Top Bottom