• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

IRRITATING MISCONCEPTION: Melia and Riki's DOT's stack. Even though they may appear to inflict the same debuff, the effects remain independently separate.
Did not know this. I was sure I was having Riki overwrite a Dunban chain bleed with a much weaker one and assumed it applied to other similar effects.

Dunbar

At what point is it a good idea to take on the named enemies? I'm about 3-4 hours in and I've only been able to kill one so far. Even if I'm the same level or slightly above them, they waste my entire party fairly easily.

I need help, I am on level 77 and still lose to her evertime. I tried playing a milia which does some damage but still end up dead before I can really damage her. Also does not help my party like to swim in the either

I need help, I am on level 77 and still lose to her evertime. I tried playing a milia which does some damage but still end up dead before I can really damage her. Also does not help my party like to swim in the either

1. fix that spelling son
2. use Melia/Riki, they penetrate the physical defense boosts from the shield and can make short work of her with DoT spam, with preferably Dunban as your tank

Also, try to use the command that brings your party to you if they start getting in the ooze. An ether-based team is the best one for that fight. Controlling Melia would be ideal, but she doesn't work like other characters. I would explain how to best use Melia, but it's been so long - I'd be afraid I would give you wrong info about it. But iirc, you Summon Lightning (or is it called Thunder? I forget), then Copy, then either Fire/Wind/Earth, then use it on the boss, then summon Lightning again when it is off cooldown, then use it for huge damage (each Lightning buff you have up increases your and everyone elses' ether damage).

just been reminded how much I want Xenoblade HD maybe when I get a new laptop I can finally go back with dolphin

every time I got stuck on a boss I went and leveled up grind

I know that makes things easier but I like smashing bosses

Xenoblade is GOAT
p0QHO.gif

I about to the point I am going to stop trying, my allies keep dying before they can be any help. there just to many enemies and lv 77 should not be getting killed this easy. ahhhhh been trying for 2 stricken hours and not even got her half way down.

....do you have decent equipment for that stage of the game?
also use Melia's topple combo as much as you can (and level up your arts of course)

this is the most frustrating boss I ever played, the computers sit around and literally not attack and by the time you kill off the orbs she just summons more that is not to mention she repeats the same line over and over. I liked this game up until now but it looks like I about to quit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't even worry about fighting the nebula enemies.

Either use Melia + Riki for ether damage and DoT or use Shulk, 7th, Reyn/Dunban and topple/daze as much as possible since you can do full damage that way. Assuming you have decent equipment, have been leveling your arts, and haven't screwed up your skill trees by never changing them, you shouldn't have that much trouble with it at level 77 using either method.

At that point in the game you should be able to come close to topple locking the boss, even if you can't do it fully.

also to add on to that: Monado Cyclone topples the enemy
this seems to be forgotten quite a bit (at least it's not as bad as not purging away Super Aura though, ugh)

I thought you need to hit her with a pink attack then a green attack to topple.

also what attacks does melia need and and gems I need to put on her?

I thought you need to hit her with a pink attack then a green attack to topple.

also what attacks does melia need and and gems I need to put on her?

just stack Summon Bolt/Flare/Earth/Copy, Reflect, Spear Break+Starlight Kick, and an optional 8th (Summon Ice? Hypnosis to reset visions? idk)
gems would be anything that boosts the elemental or DoT damage, with Topple Up/Plus if possible (shouldn't be needed though)

Dunbar

I'm about 15 hours in, and I think I learned a valuable lesson. I got to Bionis' Leg, and there was a plot event waiting for me to trigger it. I'm not that interested in following a critical path, so I took off and explored the Leg. It took me a few hours but I eventually made my way around the entire area and was ready to trigger the plot. Of course, as soon as I did, it led me to a new area where I got about 25 quests telling me to go do all the things I'd already done. Luckily, I was able to complete all the quests that only involved grabbing items (because I'd picked up everything), but I had to go around and do everything else again.

So: when entering a new area, is it better to trigger the plot and wait until you get a load of quests, then start exploring? That would have been the smart way to do it here. Also, when you get the timed quests (with the clock), is it better to wait until the game tells you that you've reached the point of no return and then double back to make sure you've completed everything? I have a few clock quests now and no idea how to complete them, so I think I need to press on and possibly uncover new areas, but I don't want to go too far and miss them.

Yes, I'd say advance the plot first, and then go exploring and sidequesting.

But remember: don't go out of your way to do all the sidequests. You will get burned out. I've seen a lot of posts on GAF where people said they couldn't finish the game because they spent too much time questing and then they got tired of the game.

So: when entering a new area, is it better to trigger the plot and wait until you get a load of quests, then start exploring? That would have been the smart way to do it here. Also, when you get the timed quests (with the clock), is it better to wait until the game tells you that you've reached the point of no return and then double back to make sure you've completed everything? I have a few clock quests now and no idea how to complete them, so I think I need to press on and possibly uncover new areas, but I don't want to go too far and miss them.

I think as a rule it's best to go ahead and advance through any major story-related events that aren't obviously going to take you outside of the region you're currently in. The story usually drags you past major NPC hubs.

General (mostly spoiler-free) tips:

- Timed quests in the Refugee Camp need to be completed
before you start rebuilding
- It's best to finish any timed quests in Alcamoth
before you finish an area called the Central Factory
- Any timed quests that do not take place on Bionis should be completed ASAP, as there are a couple rapid-fire lockout points as you progress through these portions of the game.

Also, I second the recommendations to not try too hard with sidequests. Sadly, this game doesn't manage them very well - as in they're often painful to discover and track. I think I spent at least 10 hours just trying to track down quests and NPCs in my first (150 hour) playthrough. Plus, the game tends to be REALLY generous at handing you experience, gems, and gear anyway, so you'll just wind up becoming grossly overpowered.

Regiruler

Finished the Deified Queen fight above the exiled fortress, good stuff. I did the Clifftop Bayern fight ages ago (I picked up the mirror early before the fight, but around level 28 or so I decided to fight it and was able to do so, albiet it was a long and painful process).

Reckless Godwin was the fight of the night though. Re-gearing Dunban helped immensely since I was still stuck with some defaults, using the jungle gear gave him light gear to replace the general gear (IDK how important agility is, but they were direct upgrades with slotting).

could not beat the final boss at 82 so I turned it off ( red you can not save), now on 84 but plan on grinding to at least 86 before I try again

Man I'll never get tired of reading Gaffers' posts as they play through the game for the first time. And then I sometimes go back and read my own posts from this thread... ahh good times.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Man I'll never get tired of reading Gaffers' posts as they play through the game for the first time. And then I sometimes go back and read my own posts from this thread... ahh good times.

There's nothing like playing this game for the first time. It's one of those rare games that makes such an incredible impression that you just remember it. I've played maybe three games like that, not including Xenoblade.

neoemonk

I just got to the final dungeon. I'm level 72. I'm already starting to get sad that I'm about to finish this game.

I started looking into getting the additional skill trees, and I don't think I'm going to be able to do it. So much affinity grinding in the few characters I've looked into. I wish I knew earlier in the game that I needed to do that because I could have gone after them in chunks. I stopped doing side quests completely after I got to Makna Forest.

I also didn't switch skill trees until way late. I just picked one early on and kind of forgot about it. I think my characters could have been a lot more powerful.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I also didn't switch skill trees until way late. I just picked one early on and kind of forgot about it. I think my characters could have been a lot more powerful.

Definitely, skills/skill links and your party's gear/gems are arguably more important than level. Thus things like this are possible. Has spoilers for what the final boss is in the related videos and an important mid-game spoiler, but you're far enough that neither should be surprising.

And you can do better than that with a less broken party and a more efficient setup. There are a number of things I could have improved on if I had known or thought about it at the time.

neoemonk

Wow. That is an awesome video. I'm seriously considering NG+ in this game which is absolutely crazy because I have already put over 70 hours into it and I have quite a few other games I want to play.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I had to use codes to limit/disable exp to be that low level, but after I did that a legitimate (but really annoying) way to do low level runs was found. Once you have reflection you can use that to kill enemies and you won't gain exp/SP/AP.

Unfortunately the only options NG+ gives you is for your inventory. Everything else is carried over automatically, which makes a "normal" NG+ run really boring in my opinion.

I had to use codes to limit/disable exp to be that low level, but after I did that a legitimate (but really annoying) way to do low level runs was found. Once you have reflection you can use that to kill enemies and you won't gain exp/SP/AP.

Unfortunately the only options NG+ gives you is for your inventory. Everything else is carried over automatically, which makes a "normal" NG+ run really boring in my opinion.

I'm sure you've seen the non-hacked NG run? :p

edit: wait how did you get these codes to change EXP?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I wish I was on gaf at the time so I could have posted my impressions. I remember doing nothing but playing xenoblade for a entire week straight, didnt think to play or do anything else until midway through the second week

foxuzamaki

Definitely, skills/skill links and your party's gear/gems are arguably more important than level. Thus things like this are possible. Has spoilers for what the final boss is in the related videos and an important mid-game spoiler, but you're far enough that neither should be surprising.

And you can do better than that with a less broken party and a more efficient setup. There are a number of things I could have improved on if I had known or thought about it at the time.

Is this your youtube Channel chaos?

Now there's something we can agree on :p

Hey what's THAT supposed to mean! :p

Yo chaosblade, I'm really happy for you and Imma let you finish, but this dude has the best low level runs of all time. OF ALL TIME.

<3

neoemonk

I finished NG last night, and now I'm going to switch gears to some other game, but I have to say, they did a great job with the story I thought. It wasn't like some older JRPGs where things became completely incomprehensible, and I didn't see the ending coming at all. I've only recently heard Neil deGrasse Tyson discussing the idea that our universe may actually just be a simulation, so I thought the way the game ended was actually pretty cool. I'm really looking forward to X and have even kicked around the possibility of trying to track down Xenosaga since I never played those.

Dcer

Just finished game. This is one of the rarest games were you feel sad as you approaching end ... Shulk/Dunban/Riki on level
was combination for final boss because I couldn't do it on level
. Xenoblade is one of the best games/jrpg games that I have played alongside Skies of Arcadia and I am not really fan of this genre . Waiting for X now.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hey what's THAT supposed to mean! :p

Yo chaosblade, I'm really happy for you and Imma let you finish, but this dude has the best low level runs of all time. OF ALL TIME.

<3

Some lame chain attack cheese in there, but otherwise it's definitely better than mine. I'd think Dunban is the better tank for that fight since he can do the same thing Reyn does there but has higher natural agility. Unless Reyn's art has shorter cooldown, I don't remember. One thing I should have done more was take advantage of debuffs.

And it's been done well lower than that too, but it was topple lock shenanigans IIRC.

BadWolf

Just finished it, great game.

Some cliche character stuff in there but overall the story was well done, really enjoyed it. Everything came together really well at the end.

The setting was fantastic, special mention to the great work they did on the sky. The soundtrack was wonderful as well.

My only big gripe is the battle system which I didn't find enjoyable. The game also didn't feel balanced towards the end for someone who didn't do questing and just went with the story. It was a fun ride but all of a sudden I had to stop and just spend quite a while grinding.

foxuzamaki

chaos ignored me D:
Just finished it, great game.

Some cliche character stuff in there but overall the story was well done, really enjoyed it. Everything came together really well at the end.

The setting was fantastic, special mention to the great work they did on the sky. The soundtrack was wonderful as well.

My only big gripe is the battle system which I didn't find enjoyable. The game also didn't feel balanced towards the end for someone who didn't do questing and just went with the story. It was a fun ride but all of a sudden I had to stop and just spend quite a while grinding.

Glad you mostly enjoyed

Some lame chain attack cheese in there, but otherwise it's definitely better than mine. I'd think Dunban is the better tank for that fight since he can do the same thing Reyn does there but has higher natural agility. Unless Reyn's art has shorter cooldown, I don't remember. One thing I should have done more was take advantage of debuffs.

And it's been done well lower than that too, but it was topple lock shenanigans IIRC.

it has?
I don't think it's even possible to be lower level without hacking

Top Bottom