• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You don't really need cash in this game since the only things worth buying are intermediate art books, all the rest of your money should just go to Colony 6 reconstruction.

So I don't really think the stuff is worth selling unless you run out of space for materials or crystals. And even then sell the oldest common drops, if you decide to do some quests it's easier to reobtain those than it is to chase down the less common drops.

Edit: Actually there is a little bit of armor worth buying, but it's for one character and in the second half of the game.

You don't really need cash in this game since the only things worth buying are intermediate art books, all the rest of your money should just go to Colony 6 reconstruction.

So I don't really think the stuff is worth selling unless you run out of space for materials or crystals. And even then sell the oldest common drops, if you decide to do some quests it's easier to reobtain those than it is to chase down the less common drops.

Edit: Actually there is a little bit of armor worth buying, but it's for one character and in the second half of the game.

hey man, those Valak Mountain elemental drops are like ~13k apiece and aren't used elsewhere :p

but yeah sell the common drops first cause those are easier to get

neoemonk

I've had this game for over a year but I just started playing it recently and I just have to say, it is fantastic. I love the music, and it just has that feeling that I miss from playing RPGs growing up. I love just running around and exploring the world and I can't wait for X on the Wii U.

Draconian

As I am about to head to
Prison Island
I find myself liking the battle system even more. It's certainly a lot more strategic than I initially thought and the bosses and mini bosses require a lot more flying by the seat of your pants thinking that I was expecting. Man, this game rocks. I had to buy the soundtrack too, so I can't wait until that comes in.

meow

I had to buy the soundtrack too, so I can't wait until that comes in.

The soundtrack is AMAZING. Every time I listen to it, I get a little sad the composers aren't doing X's soundtrack. I never did really check out the examples, but it did seem people were pretty psyched about the new composer, too, so my fingers are crossed that X's soundtrack is great also!

Draconian

The soundtrack is AMAZING. Every time I listen to it, I get a little sad the composers aren't doing X's soundtrack. I never did really check out the examples, but it did seem people were pretty psyched about the new composer, too, so my fingers are crossed that X's soundtrack is great also!

That is sad. I know it's not much to judge off of but the music in the first X trailer sounds really good, so hopefully that will be a sign of things to come!

I am a bit sad that Xenoblade's composers aren't returning, but considering Hiroyuki Sawano's track record (Gundam Unicorn, Attack on Titan), I don't think you need to worry about how X's soundtrack will turn out.

EDIT: I never realized it until now, but X's E3 trailer theme and that Attack on Titan theme I linked have the same singer.

Regiruler

Xord was disappointing in that I hate having the boss finished midway through the health bar via cutscene power.
I mean you fight him again near-immediately after but he's piss-easy then
. Hell, the double encounter you have before the primary xord fight was tougher: I was resorting to stalling and using last stand to build team guage. I revived Sharla but she proved ineffective, died again, I stalled enough to use last stand twice, revive shulk, then kicked the mechon's ass.

Currently in the swamp, although I don't know when I'll head back to it as I'm currently busy with MGR. I know that if I stay away from it for too long, it'll be hard to go back.

But I have plenty of reason to:
Reyn%2BTime.png

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Xord was disappointing in that I hate having the boss finished midway through the health bar via cutscene power.
I mean you fight him again near-immediately after but he's piss-easy then
. Hell, the double encounter you have before the primary xord fight was tougher: I was resorting to stalling and using last stand to build team guage. I revived Sharla but she proved ineffective, died again, I stalled enough to use last stand twice, revive shulk, then kicked the mechon's ass.

Currently in the swamp, although I don't know when I'll head back to it as I'm currently busy with MGR. I know that if I stay away from it for too long, it'll be hard to go back.

But I have plenty of reason to:
Reyn%2BTime.png

Xord is when the bossses start to really get hard, especially for first time players, the cutscene power is suppose to be a godsend as your normally not even suppose to beat xord by normal means yet and your suppose to just barely work his health down halfway, he becomes easier after that because he is badly damaged and you wouldnt be able to damage him as easily otherwise

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Doesn't Xord have goons around him just for the purpose of pumping up your team attack gauge? That's what I remember and I didn't have any problems against him. Just used the tactic the game prompted me to use >_>

Started recently playing the game and I'm up to
Valak Mountains
, this game fucking rocks is all I have to say!

icy_eagle

You can change targets, it didn't really feel cumbersome to me. It didn't always switch in a sensible order, maybe that's what you mean?

Yeah I know you can switch, but I have a hard time switching onto the target I want to hit. I've had some vision deaths I could have avoided by drawing aggro to Reyn if the game had let me target the right enemy without issue.

Edit: Why people be hating on Sharla so much :( Thunder Bullet + Drive Boost is fun

Doesn't Xord have goons around him just for the purpose of pumping up your team attack gauge? That's what I remember and I didn't have any problems against him. Just used the tactic the game prompted me to use >_>

Started recently playing the game and I'm up to
Valak Mountains
, this game fucking rocks is all I have to say!

yeah you can, but it's faster to go in beforehand with a full gauge anyway

Yeah I know you can switch, but I have a hard time switching onto the target I want to hit. I've had some vision deaths I could have avoided by drawing aggro to Reyn if the game had let me target the right enemy without issue.

Edit: Why people be hating on Sharla so much :( Thunder Bullet + Drive Boost is fun

yeah but you see, even by saying that you're admitting Sharla's healing is practically useless

Whew.. I just beat a pretty notorious boss who has been known to cause some players to resort to YouTube, not to see how to beat him/her/it, but to actually just see how the game ends because it's such a frustrating battle that makes you want to resign. Now my party must return to Prison Island to settle yet another score. This must be near the end because I'm about 103 hours in and this game is becoming one boss fight after the next. This is an excellent game-of-the-geration calibre title but, wow, there are a lot of loose ends to tie up, story-wise. Which is fitting, I suppose, for a game of this length.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's not really that bad, you just need to use ether attacks or topple/daze to effectively deal damage. If you run in with a party like Shulk/Reyn/Sharla you're in for some trouble.

Topple locking that boss is definitely the way to go if you know what you're doing. Then again it's the way to do almost anything, if not for a handful of enemies with topple spike it would completely break the game once it becomes a feasible option.

icy_eagle

yeah you can, but it's faster to go in beforehand with a full gauge anyway

yeah but you see, even by saying that you're admitting Sharla's healing is practically useless

The Core of TB Sharla only takes up 3 slots; Thunder Bullet, Drive Boost & Shadow Stance, leaving the 5 other slots for any of the healing arts to one's liking.

It's not really that bad, you just need to use ether attacks or topple/daze to effectively deal damage. If you run in with a party like Shulk/Reyn/Sharla you're in for some trouble.

Topple locking that boss is definitely the way to go if you know what you're doing. Then again it's the way to do almost anything, if not for a handful of enemies with topple spike it would completely break the game once it becomes a feasible option.

Yeah, I went with Melia / Riki / Reyn (I think Reyn). That boss continually spawns those four elemental orbs which all give a ton of defense to the boss. You have to take them out first. Then I got the boss down to half its health. Then the orbs respawned. I took care of them and got her down to like 5% health. The orbs respawned again, and I noticed Riki was wiped out so instead of wasting time going after the orbs or reviving Riki, I just spammed the boss with everything I had in an attemp to finish it off. Luckily it worked.

foxuzamaki

yeah you can turn sharla's almost entire active arte list into heals(and buffs if you want), she isnt much for attacks but she keeps everyone else alive in this case.

yeah, but those are the worst players, of course they'd have trouble :p

I'm joking guys

or am I?

icy_eagle

Yeah, after my first playthrough I've tried to stay away from toppling/dazing as a self-imposing challenge, because it's just way too effective. I get what they were trying to do with it, breaking with one character and toppling/dazing with another requires teamwork, but the payoff is just too much. Just immobilizing the target would already be a big enough boon, but in addition you can't miss, crits do more damage, ether arts are guaranteed to crit. Not to mention that bypassing the break-topple-daze teamwork aspect is just too easy (Dunban's Thunder, Demon Slayer, Melia's combo, Fiora's green art)

foxuzamaki

Is it just me though? On my 2nd playthrough im noticing that enemies dont stay dazed for shit, before I can get off shulk's daze move the enemy recovers from it most of the time, it is a bit annoying and I dont remember that being such a problem my first time around.

icy_eagle

Is it just me though? On my 2nd playthrough im noticing that enemies dont stay dazed for shit, before I can get off shulk's daze move the enemy recovers from it most of the time, it is a bit annoying and I dont remember that being such a problem my first time around.

That's just an issue with shulk's art specifically, it's really laggy so you have to use it asap after an enemy is toppled

Yeah, after my first playthrough I've tried to stay away from toppling/dazing as a self-imposing challenge, because it's just way too effective. I get what they were trying to do with it, breaking with one character and toppling/dazing with another requires teamwork, but the payoff is just too much. Just immobilizing the target would already be a big enough boon, but in addition you can't miss, crits do more damage, ether arts are guaranteed to crit. Not to mention that bypassing the break-topple-daze teamwork aspect is just too easy (Dunban's Thunder, Demon Slayer, Melia's combo, Fiora's green art)

WHAT?

on viewing a random video featuring low-level topple locks, ether arts apparently are automatic crits on toppled enemies, unless Melia is also the RNG goddess and rigged 10 consecutive crits
that ain't Anna tho

combined with the 25% damage increase for crits....holy crap

icy_eagle

on viewing a random video featuring low-level topple locks, ether arts apparently are automatic crits on toppled enemies, unless Melia is also the RNG goddess and rigged 10 consecutive crits
that ain't Anna tho

combined with the 25% damage increase for crits....holy crap

And Fiora has a skill that further increases crit damage 20% that melia can link :D

And Fiora has a skill that further increases crit damage 20% that melia can link :D

and by linking to Fiora's other skill that raises tension by one stage for every talent art, Melia is also at max tension all the time :O

lol

chaosblade how do you have 3x as many posts as the next person here

Guys please spoiler tag
Fiora's
name, or refer to that character as 7th. As a courtesy to others. There still might be people reading this thread who could be spoiled by that.

Guys please spoiler tag
Fiora's
name, or refer to that character as 7th. As a courtesy to others. There still might be people reading this thread who could be spoiled by that.

ok fine

I heard
Fiora
deals a lot of damage

more spoilers for the spoilers god!....or something

Melia's still the best

Chairhome

I just started playing this again. I squeezed out a little more OC juice on my aging Phenom II x4 to play this at a pretty constant 30 fps on Dolphin (had slow down before), so I'm not constantly thinking about slowdown, haha.

I just met Zansa, and saw some interesting story stuff, so that should motivate me to keep playing for a while. I've been skipping side quests just due to personal time constraints and backlog, is that a mistake?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've been skipping side quests just due to personal time constraints and backlog, is that a mistake?

Not really, you miss out on some experience that way but if it becomes a problem killing unique monsters around your level is a quicker way to get levels than quests. Better rewards too.

neoemonk

I've been playing this quite a bit lately and I have to say, it's not as easy as the Internet would have me believe. I had a bit of trouble last night with the High Entia Tomb boss fight. My party is level 38.

I tried lots of combinations in my many deaths and eventually triumphed with Shulk as my main and Sharla/Reyn as the back up. With my other parties I couldn't burn down the bosses fast enough to stay alive. Once the Telethia was down the fight got really boring with Shulk out there dealing one damage.

I've been thinking about learning how to main Melia and running with Melia/Reyn/Dunban. I haven't used Riki at all yet either.

I've been playing this quite a bit lately and I have to say, it's not as easy as the Internet would have me believe. I had a bit of trouble last night with the High Entia Tomb boss fight. My party is level 38.

I tried lots of combinations in my many deaths and eventually triumphed with Shulk as my main and Sharla/Reyn as the back up. With my other parties I couldn't burn down the bosses fast enough to stay alive. Once the Telethia was down the fight got really boring with Shulk out there dealing one damage.

I've been thinking about learning how to main Melia and running with Melia/Reyn/Dunban. I haven't used Riki at all yet either.

ehhhh
I would've suggested you run Melia/Riki/Dunban in that fight, Melia can remove Soul Read via Mind Blast, and both Melia and Riki can get around it anyway (stack those DoTs all day every day)

edit: fun fact of the day: this game has 681 different enemies, including uniques/bosses (however it doesn't include stuff such as the M71's tentacles or
Lorithia's novas
)

neoemonk

I've been using Shulk as my main for the whole game so far. It wasn't until I had to solo as Melia that I even considered using her. I've never used Riki at all and didn't really know how to control Melia so I went with what I knew would work but now I want to explore some other character combinations.

Celegus

I've been using Shulk as my main for the whole game so far. It wasn't until I had to solo as Melia that I even considered using her. I've never used Riki at all and didn't really know how to control Melia so I went with what I knew would work but now I want to explore some other character combinations.

That's half the fun! I didn't care much for Melia, but I used everyone else pretty much equally. They all play very differently, but it doesn't take as long as you might think to learn how they work. Playing as Shulk the whole game would be so boring.

Korigama

Well at least that thread has it right... the thread for the most recent X trailer had me worried there for a while...
Most of the people complaining in that X trailer thread never played Xenoblade, and clearly had no idea of what it was like, given how many Monster Hunter comparisons were wrongly thrown about.

foxuzamaki

Well at least that thread has it right... the thread for the most recent X trailer had me worried there for a while...

The thread I posted gave me some hope after reading that X thread, it scared me and I was beginning to wonder if people just jump on hype trains without knowing the reason why(well they do but not all of them thankfully,) But theres still some humanity left. No wonder our industry is as bad as it is.

neoemonk

That's half the fun! I didn't care much for Melia, but I used everyone else pretty much equally. They all play very differently, but it doesn't take as long as you might think to learn how they work. Playing as Shulk the whole game would be so boring.

I'm going to try out Melia as the main with Riki and Dunban and see how things work out.

^ Melia is very strong if you know how to use her correctly. Here's a quick and easy guide from the GameFAQs forums (lol) that gives you the basics:

Minimalist guide: How to use Melia said:
Because this subject seems to come up fairly often.

Let me make this very clear: SHE IS A DOT CHARACTER.

1. Summon Bolt.
2. Summon Copy.
3. Summon Ice/Earth/Flare.
4. Discharge.
5. Summon Earth/Flare/Ice.
6. Discharge.
7. Summon Flare/Ice/Earth.
8. Discharge.

In cooldown, throw in a bolt or something if you're waiting around.

Spear Break>Starlight Kick when possible for insta-topple.

Burst End/Mind Blast also have utility when Elemental Burst occurs (which it will, very frequently).

Inflicting DOTS, casting Shadow Stitch, and then running away is incredibly effective/lame.

IRRITATING MISCONCEPTION: Melia and Riki's DOT's stack. Even though they may appear to inflict the same debuff, the effects remain independently separate.

I do it a little differently, but that's basically the gist of it. You'll find your own personal favorite summon order as you go along.

Judging by this thread Xenoblade is still the GOAT.

I went in there and gave it a mention (with some pics and links to the music), just for good measure. There can never be too much love for Xenoblade.

neoemonk

I started to use her as my main last night and enjoyed it a lot more now that I understand her base mechanic. She's only level 40 right now so I haven't unlocked all of her arts yet though so there are a few times I just have to auto attack until something comes off of cooldown.

Top Bottom