• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Antagon

I'm still early in the game (just got Sharla) but I think I am missing something with the chain attacks, because they don't seem to be anything special except for popping off some emergency heals (I'm probably doing something wrong, will backtrack in this thread for info).

Also, does anyone else have issues changing targets when there's more than two? I've been playing as Reyn because the AI doesn't seem to be able to tank competently but sometimes when one of the other members pulls aggro I can't seem to switch my target to the loose mob... even if the mob is positioned in front of me it sometimes feels like the targeting system jams up or something or outright refuses to target the mob in front of me.

Awesome game though, it has pulled me away from ME3.

The chain attacks have several uses. Best thing is that it resets all cooldowns, which helps with the emergency heals you talked about. You can also reliably topple / daze an enemy. Finally, if you use multiple abilities of the same color in sequence they get stronger.

Also, when you have attacked with all characters, you might get a b button prompt. Time it right and you'll get another attack in. The higher the affinity between your party members, the higher the chance that you'll get the prompt. Later on in the game a chain attack can easily consist of 6+ attacks.

jtrov

My god this game is incredible. Been a very long time since I've played a console RPG that felt like this before.

I was lucky enough to score a copy of this game at Gamestop (w/out pre-ordering) as for whatever reason I thought it would be coming out Sunday. I was planning on pre-ordering it when I made a trip to the stores during the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised when the store clerk told me it was already out.

Really enjoying the character designs in the game so far and the music is just incredible. However, the combat may just be my favorite part about the game. There is just so much going on between affinity, and chaining skills, motivating, just so much to keep track of.

I've gotten to the point where the game opens up some, so I can't wait to get home and traverse through more of the world. Shit certainly got real in the scenes prior, so I can't wait to see what happens next.

flyover

Had Shulk wearing "Swim Shorts" because they were the best things I owned but after watching several cutscenes lose their dramatic tension because of his nearly bare legs I had to downgrade.

Yeah. I actually felt compelled to remove my one of my favorite armor sets from a character for a good chunk of the game (
Speed Armor on 7th
). After a while, I just couldn't take that character seriously in otherwise serious cutscenes.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Is there some sort of trick to it? I'll use same colored Arts but the damage done doesn't seem very high, maybe my expectations are too high.

Can I change the order each character attacks in? When I only had Shulk and Reyn I couldn't chain into a topple because Reyn always went first (when I controlled him).
Good question... I haven't switched party leaders so I wouldn't know

Is there some sort of trick to it? I'll use same colored Arts but the damage done doesn't seem very high, maybe my expectations are too high.

Can I change the order each character attacks in? When I only had Shulk and Reyn I couldn't chain into a topple because Reyn always went first (when I controlled him).

You don't want to use the same color attacks. It's been a while since I played but I believe it's a pink colored attack, followed by a green colored attack to topple the enemy over.

Aeana

Really? The stupid tutorial suggests it even!

What the poster you quoted is suggesting is how to topple enemies, which of course requires break -> topple which is pink -> green. However, you get bonuses for using the same colored attacks and you're more likely to get the chance to extend your chain if you do that, as well.

Hazanko

Banned
Yeah. I actually felt compelled to remove my one of my favorite armor sets from a character for a good chunk of the game (
Speed Armor on 7th
). After a while, I just couldn't take that character seriously in otherwise serious cutscenes.

Yeah I hate stuff like that. I'm also the type of RPG player that will wear gear that looks cool even if there is better albeit crappier looking armour available. I just wish more of these games allowed to keep the style but can still upgade to better gear like in DCUO. It boggles my mind as to why it isn't more common in RPGs.

Firemind

You can't break and topple and daze with same colour arts and toppling/dazing is one of the most useful status conditions. However, you can rack up considerable damage if you sneak in a few talent arts in between since they chain with any colour.

Ultratech

Not really when you consider that Dunban's going to receive less damage in the long run than Reyn who has a harder time tanking the endgame enemies.

True, but Dunban ideally is wondering around either naked or in full Light Armor (skill bonuses) whereas Reyn is ideally stacked in Heavy Armor with a coulple thousand more HP on him. Reyn is designed to take hits and has the Defense and HP to absorb such hits.

Dunban may evade most things, but he will get hit eventually and it'll hurt. Lucky for him, he's got Auras/Skills that take advantage of being in Critical/Low health.

Though you are right about Dunban being a better tank for endgame enemies (especially the Lv100+ Uniques).

Yeah I hate stuff like that. I'm also the type of RPG player that will wear gear that looks cool even if there is better albeit crappier looking armour available. I just wish more of these games allowed to keep the style but can still upgade to better gear like in DCUO. It boggles my mind as to why it isn't more common in RPGs.

Yes sorry I was talking about the requirements to topple an enemy, I should have been more clear.

You as do for dealing damage as it builds the multiplier (I think healing arts are also affected but if so you would only need one...I guess a chain of [arts]
summon bolt, happy happy time, then some strong healing
gives benefit outside of healing). Talent arts (white) help as they allow you to swap into other colours white retaining multiplier (as white is a wildcard, in my previous example
then unleash bolt at 3x or x4 damage then whatever is done next is x4 or x5
).

If you want to topple something though...given you need pink, then green you won't be able to get a multiplier going (unless you can do white inbetween but at the end of the day you did the chain attack to topple the enemy so you could damage it).

edit:beaten

flyover

I'm also the type of RPG player that will wear gear that looks cool even if there is better albeit crappier looking armour available.
I do the same thing. It's like "appearance" is another stat that needs to be taken into consideration when deciding what to equip.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, 30 some odd hours in, chugging right along, with only the occasional death (half of them from being blown off the edge in the mines, falling to mah doooom).

Then, I run into a brick wall known as
Telethia and Tyrea in the tomb
WAT WAT WAT

Tried various parties, since it seemed like certain characters do no damage to certain bosses
in this instance, Shulk doesn't do anything to Tyrea, but Dunban doesn't do anything against the Telethia. I tried a party of Dunban, Shelra, and Reyn, and managed to kill Tyrea, only to run into the problem of not doing enough damage to kill the Telethia. It would have been possible to finally whittle it's health down, but would have taken hours... My characters are in the level 40 range.

Guess I'll level up some more, before trying again. Might also bust out Riki, as I've seen his name brought up in faqs on these bosses

Feels like I've played alot of the game, but seeing a table of contents, I don't even know if I'm halfway yet...

Also: Wow @ the size of the maps. I thought the Leg was a massive area, but then the
Ereth Sea
is stupid huge. But, the size of the
Empire city
is too big and sparse for it's own good.

Kind of a weird question, just looking for a yes or no answer without major spoilers.

I'm only about 10 hours in at Gauer Plains, but regarding the alternative cover:

Is the alternative cover artwork a spoiler? Fiora "died" during the attack on Colony 9, yet it looks like shes standing next to Shulk in the artwork. I see everyone talking about a "7th" party member, and it looks like there are 7 of them standing on the cliff (I'd check again to be sure, but I'm at work). Is Fiora the 7th party member everyone is talking about, or am I jumping to conclusions?

Should I just keep playing and not worry about that? lol

Antagon

Well, 30 some odd hours in, chugging right along, with only the occasional death (half of them from being blown off the edge in the mines, falling to mah doooom).

WAT WAT WAT

Tried various parties, since it seemed like certain characters do no damage to certain bosses
in this instance, Shulk doesn't do anything to Tyrea, but Dunban doesn't do anything against the Telethia. I tried a party of Dunban, Shelra, and Reyn, and managed to kill Tyrea, only to run into the problem of not doing enough damage to kill the Telethia. It would have been possible to finally whittle it's health down, but would have taken hours... My characters are in the level 40 range.

Guess I'll level up some more, before trying again. Might also bust out Riki, as I've seen his name brought up in faqs on these bosses

Feels like I've played alot of the game, but seeing a table of contents, I don't even know if I'm halfway yet...

Also: Wow @ the size of the maps. I thought the Leg was a massive area, but then the
Ereth Sea
is stupid huge. But, the size of the
Empire city
is too big and sparse for it's own good.

Did that today with Riki, Dunban and Shulk. Was lvl 38 and they were no problem. Took out the Telethia first. Dunban can hit it, but you might need to purge it first. Shulk can't hit the other, but Dunban and Riki should have no problem with after the Telethia is down. I controlled Riki myself btw.

flyover

Kind of a weird question, just looking for a yes or no answer without major spoilers.

Is the alternative cover artwork a spoiler?

No. That shot's not in the game, and is probably there to keep you from knowing what happens to Fiora in Colony 9 at the beginning.

ultron87

No. That shot's not in the game, and is probably there to keep you from knowing what happens to Fiora in Colony 9 at the beginning.

(Early game big spoiler)
It was quite effective them to have her on that cover and in the art book on the party members page. Really made her death surprise the hell out of me.

Zornica

Banned
So.

Has anyone discovered DAT SPIDER yet?

lol, I remember that... trying to pick up a red orb nearly suffering a heart attack
good times.

Also, does anyone else have issues changing targets when there's more than two? I've been playing as Reyn because the AI doesn't seem to be able to tank competently but sometimes when one of the other members pulls aggro I can't seem to switch my target to the loose mob... even if the mob is positioned in front of me it sometimes feels like the targeting system jams up or something or outright refuses to target the mob in front of me.

can't you change your target at all? Some enemies can force you to target them for X seconds, so maybe that happend to you. I am not sure about what buttons to press on the ccp, but on the mote, it would be Z+ Dpad left/right for manual targeting, maybe that will work? if not, your target has been locked by the enemy.

WAT WAT WAT

Using melia would be the easiest way to beat that thing (tutorial link in first post).
Shulk doesn't do any damage because
the monado can't hurt people, remember?
what you could do is: play as shulk, tell your party to focus on tyrea, and focus with shulk on the telethia. riki+dunban should be usefull allies in that fight (melia isn't very good if played by the ai).

Lonestar

Did that today with Riki, Dunban and Shulk. Was lvl 38 and they were no problem. Took out the Telethia first. Dunban can hit it, but you might need to purge it first. Shulk can't hit the other, but Dunban and Riki should have no problem with after the Telethia is down. I controlled Riki myself btw.

Makes sense, seems like I might have went after the wrong boss first. On the 1st attempt, I think I tried to do something like this (but no Riki), and was roughly getting results, but got wiped out when the bosses HP was @ about 50%. I'll try that party next time I play

jorgeton

This game is a huge time suck. Holy crap there went my weekend.

Question: Where are the brogs on the bionis's leg? I'm trying to wrap up the sidequest where I need to get two flamii eggs (done) and some brog meat. Looked everywhere, can't find em.

Oh wow, that's pretty crazy then.

I was expecting *early game major spoilers*
her death to be fake or something, so it didn't really have any impact on me at the time. I was like, "Oh, she'll probably live somehow, since she's on the cover art."

Damn.

Anyway, this game is so damn good.

TheContact

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there any major differences between the PAL version and the NTSC version? I already have the PAL version so I'm wondering if it's worth buying again. I looked online at reviews online and it looks like the voice acting hasn't changed.

TDLink

I'm still early in the game (just got Sharla) but I think I am missing something with the chain attacks, because they don't seem to be anything special except for popping off some emergency heals (I'm probably doing something wrong, will backtrack in this thread for info).

Awesome game though, it has pulled me away from ME3.

Some enemies can taunt you, forcing you to focus on them and preventing you from switching to a different target. Sounds like that is what is happening to you. I also think the AI uses Reyn the best out of anyone so I am not sure why you were having issues there. Just make sure you have Reyn equipped with many aggro increasing/taunt arts. Similarly, make sure you take aggro decreasing arts on Shulk and Sharla if you want to play as one of them. Shulk actually has a move (Shadow Eye) that reduces his aggro dramatically, you should use that on cooldown if you are playing as him. I did end up tanking myself most of the game though since I mained the next character you are going to get...

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there any major differences between the PAL version and the NTSC version? I already have the PAL version so I'm wondering if it's worth buying again. I looked online at reviews online and it looks like the voice acting hasn't changed.

The two versions are identical. Even the title screen has the exact same logo as the PAL version even though the NA boxart has a different one. All the VA is the same, all of the text is the same (including british spellings like "armour") and there are no new added areas or other extras. It is the exact same. I will say though, I bought both versions just to support it despite them being identical.

Leezard

This game is a huge time suck. Holy crap there went my weekend.

Question: Where are the brogs on the bionis's leg? I'm trying to wrap up the sidequest where I need to get two flamii eggs (done) and some brog meat. Looked everywhere, can't find em.

They are on the upper part of Bionis Leg.

Rebel Leader

xOgQ3.png

WHYYYYYY

Seriously, why hasn't it shipped yet?
(Im USA but...)
Look agian... My wii lens cleaner just shipped

So maybe Xenoblade did too

Rebel Leader

From what I see, It's basicly just a reformatted PAL version to work on NTSC... Even the title screen on NTSC is PAL...

You should support the NTSC version >_>

Keep it sealed =3

zlatko

Banned
Thinking of buying a used Wii just for this game, The Last Story, and Zelda.

I'm broke and cheap though, and I'll be mad if this isn't as good as people are hyping it up to be. :(

jorgeton

Thinking of buying a used Wii just for this game, The Last Story, and Zelda.

I'm broke and cheap though, and I'll be mad if this isn't as good as people are hyping it up to be. :(

That's what I did. I bought a used Wii just for this. I would say it's worth it. And then there's the Wii's back-catalogue, full of dirt-cheap games to pick up.

Lonestar

Seeing the images of the game on Dolphin... :/

How difficult is that to setup? Hadn't heard of this thing till reading this topic.

zlatko

Banned
That's what I did. I bought a used Wii just for this. I would say it's worth it. And then there's the Wii's back-catalogue, full of dirt-cheap games to pick up.

Wii's back catalogue is looking good now to me, but the fact that the Wii U is around the corner and is backwards compatible makes me want to wait and just put the money I'd used towards a Wii now towards the U.

That's ultimately what is making me hesitant.

Also, Dolphin. Tried to read up on it at work. Do I still need the console to make this work? It seems you do need the game which I'm 100% okay with, but shit if I need a Wii to make it work, then I'll just get the Wii and play it that way with less hassle. :p

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing the images of the game on Dolphin... :/

How difficult is that to setup? Hadn't heard of this thing till reading this topic.

Not really difficult, would probably take like 2-3 minutes getting the settings right at the most, lots of optimal settings posted online for this game.

Requires a pretty beefy PC though. Just about anything other than an overclocked Sandy Bridge CPU is going to be too slow to emulate the game without audio issues (other CPUs might be able to handle if it they're OC'd high enough, Phenom IIs and older i5/i7 CPUs should work around 3.8GHz or so).

And you only need the Wii(w/ homebrew) to rip the game, unless you have a specific, old LG/Hitachi DVD drive that happens to be able to read GCN/Wii games.

Rebel Leader

Wii's back catalogue is looking good now to me, but the fact that the Wii U is around the corner and is backwards compatible makes me want to wait and just put the money I'd used towards a Wii now towards the U.

That's ultimately what is making me hesitant.

Also, Dolphin. Tried to read up on it at work. Do I still need the console to make this work? It seems you do need the game which I'm 100% okay with, but shit if I need a Wii to make it work, then I'll just get the Wii and play it that way with less hassle. :p
I don't know if you need a wii.
Theres a way to make a wired xbox 360 controller to work on Dolphin for games that use CC/CCpro

(I have not used dolphin)

EDIT: Read Chaos's post

I finally got my NA copy. I played it last year, and supposedly I rushed through the game cause I finished it in 50 hours haha.

It's still my favorite game ever.

wazoo

Wii catalog is very unique and time consuming.

Currently playing Last Story, the little brother of Xenoblade and Vagrant Story. Very happy with it. Planning to finish it before Pandora Tower release.

zlatko

Banned
Not really difficult, would probably take like 2-3 minutes getting the settings right at the most, lots of optimal settings posted online for this game.

Requires a pretty beefy PC though. Just about anything other than an overclocked Sandy Bridge CPU is going to be too slow to emulate the game without audio issues (other CPUs might be able to handle if it they're OC'd high enough, Phenom IIs and older i5/i7 CPUs should work around 3.8GHz or so).

And you only need the Wii(w/ homebrew) to rip the game, unless you have a specific, old LG/Hitachi DVD drive that happens to be able to read GCN/Wii games.

I definitely don't have that DVD drive so yeah I'd need the Wii either way then to rip it.

So I may as well pony up for a used wii. Which I'll do later this week.

It's a fun game so far but the graphics really put me off. I should really try those component cables but it can't make that big of a difference.

And I love the diver armor <3

zlatko

Banned
New random question based off of the component cable topic.

I do not have any access to a SDTV anymore. Do component stretch the image to fit a 720P image TV?

When I tried to play Persona 4 on my HDTV It was stuck in a small square box in the middle of the TV, and since I played it for many hours at a time it would leave traces of image burning to form the square. I'd rather avoid that if possible here.

Lonestar

I dunno,
I just can't take the Mechon voices seriously, I wish they would stay silent like "Metal Face" in the Colony 9 attack.

About this
Did Metal Face actually finger wag you, when it became apparent the Monado was ineffective? Looked like it, but I wasn't sure I saw it right

Seik

Banned

I do not have any access to a SDTV anymore. Do component stretch the image to fit a 720P image TV?

When I tried to play Persona 4 on my HDTV It was stuck in a small square box in the middle of the TV, and since I played it for many hours at a time it would leave traces of image burning to form the square. I'd rather avoid that if possible here.

It will be fullscreen with no black bars, it won't look stretched because the game is basically made to be on widescreen displays.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

The Wii has a 16:9 widescreen setting, and Xenoblade (and all other Wii games) will fill the screen as long as you have it on in the Wii system settings. No stretching.

OK I think I'll do some quests or something before I take on Xord again. Some quick questions:

- Is there a way to change the order in a chain attack without changing my party leader? I want to Break-Topple-Daze with Shulk at the end.

- Some item descriptions say they could be useful for making weapons. But I'd like some cash. Do you actually use these drops and collectibles to make stuff or can I get rid of them?

- So, the Monado Shield thingy only works on enemy arts. What do I do when Shulk sees a vision of a regular attack? Right now I just have Reyn Block or increase aggro or Sharla Heal or use a tranquilizer. Is that enough to change the future?

Top Bottom