• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

It is indeed likely, and it wouldn't be the first time. When Metroid Prime 2 came out I played it for a few hours and thought "Pfft, this is a lazy, boring MP1 expansion pack" and shelved it. Over a year I tried it again and it ended up in my top 3 Metroids. And I have no such ill feelings towards Xenoblade.

If I may guess, part of it is presumably the visuals as well. At least in the first few hours, XC is a game you have to like for its personality, as it sure isn't going to be the looks. Many non-Wii games can skate by just on looks for a while.

Muffdraul

If I may guess, part of it is presumably the visuals as well. At least in the first few hours, XC is a game you have to like for its personality, as it sure isn't going to be the looks. Many non-Wii games can skate by just on looks for a while.

I actually think it looks pretty good, for a Wii game running on a Bravia. Definitely better than Skyward Sword, which looked unusually rough and took some getting used to... which never got in the way of my enjoyment. I'm sure it gets much better later, I've seen a few screen shots.

I actually think it looks pretty good, for a Wii game running on a Bravia. Definitely better than Skyward Sword, which looked unusually rough and took some getting used to... which never got in the way of my enjoyment. I'm sure it gets much better later, I've seen a few screen shots.

It's not bad (and will get better once we get out of Colony 9), especially with a good upscaler, but the faces... man, the faces.... Think about a game like RE4 or FF XII and how much better they made the main characters' faces look. And that's in 2005-2006 on even older hardware.

Zekes!

There's no way it looks better than Skyward Sword. Combined with the sense of scale, this game looks great, but if you take that away, the graphics are average even for a Wii game

Muffdraul

There's no way it looks better than Skyward Sword. Combined with the sense of scale, this game looks great, but if you take that away, the graphics are average even for a Wii game

Look. Skyward Sword looked super, super shitty on my Bravia. Shittier than any other Wii game I can recall. It had something to do with the filter, it was like it was being projected onto a big sheet of burlap. Ugh, I'm so sick of these graphics debates. I see what I see, you see what you see.

Shaffield

Quick question dudes:

So I've been controlling
Dunban
since he joined me, and I just got
Melia
so I'm going to give her a shot.

Im planning on keeping
Dunban
in the party, but I'm curious how his Blossom Dance or whatever works when its used by the AI. Does the timing thing still come up when he uses it, or is it just automatic?

Also, any recommendations on my 3rd? I'm leaning towards Shulk, but I'm a bit hesistant to kick out my healer.

ag-my001

Quick question dudes:

So I've been controlling
Dunban
since he joined me, and I just got
Melia
so I'm going to give her a shot.

Im planning on keeping
Dunban
in the party, but I'm curious how his Blossom Dance or whatever works when its used by the AI. Does the timing thing still come up when he uses it, or is it just automatic?

Also, any recommendations on my 3rd? I'm leaning towards Shulk, but I'm a bit hesistant to kick out my healer.

Assuming he isn't interrupted or anything like that, he seems to get through the cycle. For your proposed party, Shulk is the healer, and will be sufficient for most fights (including bosses). Unlike Reyn, your tank in that group works by holding aggro while dodging attacks, and with the boost in damage, you just won't need healing. That group was my party for 75% of the game, and I only had to switch it out for that one boss fight.

Shaffield

Assuming he isn't interrupted or anything like that, he seems to get through the cycle. For your proposed party, Shulk is the healer, and will be sufficient for most fights (including bosses). Unlike Reyn, your tank in that group works by holding aggro while dodging attacks, and with the boost in damage, you just won't need healing. That group was my party for 75% of the game, and I only had to switch it out for that one boss fight.
Awesome, thanks for the advice.
I just leveled her up and got her Healing art. If I'm planning on having Shulk do most of the healing, would it be better to spend less points on her Healing and Aqua arts, and focus on her Flame and Lightning instead?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just fought the first boss.

No way that just happened. OMG

Caught me off guard too. It's a great moment if you're not spoiled by reading about it first. That let me know that I was in for a hell of a ride in this game.

Sadly though, the story doesn't take a sharp turn like that "WOAH" until much later on in the game. This game does a good job of hooking you in the first ~2 hours and then the pace slows and it much more low/high for the remainder of the game.

Awesome, thanks for the advice.
I just leveled her up and got her Healing art. If I'm planning on having Shulk do most of the healing, would it be better to spend less points on her Healing and Aqua arts, and focus on her Flame and Lightning instead?

Melia is a freaking damage dealing beast. Here's what you do: pour all of your points into Bolt, Wind, and either Fire/Earth. Do what you can to craft a + Electricity Plus gem on her attack, that boost Electricity damage. Don't waste a single point into her "healing" summons, they suck ass. Other characters can take care of the job for you.

So Bolt gives you +20% Ether power, so stack up three of these summons and release them all for some pretty nice damage, especially once you're able to start getting some good Electricity Plus gems.
Wind gives you 10% Agility. It's nice to pretty much always have this summon "going" and never discharge it.
Fire gives you 20% Strength up, and it does nice damage and burn damage.

What I like to do is: Bolt > Copy Bolt > Fire > Spear Break > Starlight Kick (Topple combo) > Release Fire > Summon Bolt (Now you have three Bolts) and Release all three Bolts, rinse repeat.

Basically just level up Copy, Bolt, Fire, Spear Break, Starlight Kick as much as possible so that the cool down on these is fast. Once you get these all to a high enough level they will all be available one after another and you will barely have any "standing around" time waiting for shit to recharge. You can Summon three spells, do the Topple Combo, Release all your spells, then Summon them all over again, and go for the Topple Combo again... etc.
It gets real easy to actually just beat monsters by yourself while your other two party members are engaged in another fight at the same time! And once you get this "Reflect Spell" then you can have that going to deflect any damage if you start Aggroing a monster.

She's a really good character, consider keeping her in your party!

I'm completely new to this type of RPG, which is to say one with a MMO-esque battle system. I'm just getting around to understanding the roles that characters play in combat, and it's pretty cool. But I do have one concern. I'm very early in the game, Tephra Cave, and I'm not sure if I should be grinding or something. Something attacked my party that was level 9, which I am equal with. However, my team got pounded. Should I be a much higher level than I am now? It just seemed too early in the game (a couple hours) to be grinding, but maybe I'm not playing properly. Any advice would be great.

There's been two different Unique Monsters that I can vividly recall that I could not take down when I was one level below them, AT their level, and then when I was one level above them! I was super pissed. The most recent one: I'm Level 59 AND Lv 60 and I was getting pounded over and over and over by a Lv 58 Unique Enemy.

Honestly, I've learned that you just have to let it go and put them on your "hit list" to just move on, and then come back later on in the story and avenge your many deaths. But yeah I've been able to take down some monsters that were 3-4 levels above me, but sometimes - I dunno Monsters are better than their level appears and you gotta give it a rest, move on and come back and kick their ass later.

ag-my001

Caught me off guard too. It's a great moment if you're not spoiled by reading about it first. That let me know that I was in for a hell of a ride in this game.

Sadly though, the story doesn't take a sharp turn like that "WOAH" until much later on in the game. This game does a good job of hooking you in the first ~2 hours and then the pace slows and it much more low/high for the remainder of the game.

There are subtle moments that can change the game, if you catch them. There is an NPC in Colony 9 that will say a certain line just once. If you notice it, you can figure out what is happening in the game without highlighting a single spoiler. However, it was very well done, so instead of asking "what?", you simply start asking "why?" or "how?". The foreshadowing only adds to the game instead of detracting.

Zekes!

Someones high. This looks much better.

How am I high? I recognize that outside of the impressive scope of the environments, the graphics are rather average; obviously areas needed to be cut to accomplish what they did, but in general Zelda trumps it. I can accept the idea it might look worse on certain HDTVs but that's about it.

I'm not even trying to hate on Xenoblade

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Riki's
introduction was funny. :lol

Although i dont see myself using this
little furry ball
in my party at all.

Pachinko

Well I've got a few hours under my belt now, made it to the bionis leg area and I'm really liking quite a bit about this game. We'll see how I feel at hour 20 though, that tends to be where JRPG's make or break themselves. So far this has been trickling in many neat combat ideas and it has one of the better death penalties I've seen. The story displayed a fairly large amount of narrative in the first couple hours but it worked because I'm interested to see where it goes and unlike many RPGs in the last 10 years I haven't completely guessed how everything is going to play out.

Sure is a fair amount of graphic talk in here, I'd say this game looks about on par with monster hunter , very similar aesthetic too actually. Mostly muddy textures but some great use of color , good enough draw distance and it runs at a solid clip while displaying quite a few enemies and characters at the same time.

I think my only niggling issue is sometimes the camera doesn't co-operate.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Riki's

little furry ball
in my party at all.

Don't discount him right off the bat. I had the most fun using him as my controlled character for the majority of the game. He has a lot of directional attacks like Shulk, but also has 'the best' healing art in the game.. and access to Ether attacks, and status. Plus he easily reaches max HPs and can take quite the beating.

Way too many people just throw him to the side because they 'can't take the game seriously' if they're using him, but I can't imagine not at least swapping him in once in a while.

This game just has so much stuff going on. It's kind of overwhelming, but in a good way. It's really nice to immerse myself in such an RPG. I'm just kind of hanging around Colony 9, although I've finished up the story in the area and fought the boss.

Fiora's death really shocked me. I wasn't expecting her to die, especially not so early in the story. I really thought she was going to be part of the main cast. It was a really well done emotional moment, and I'm glad that this game can pull out a surprise like that so early on.

It took me a little bit to get used to the battle system, but I feel like I have a good handle on it now. It's really enjoyable.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This game just has so much stuff going on. It's kind of overwhelming, but in a good way. It's really nice to immerse myself in such an RPG. I'm just kind of hanging around Colony 9, although I've finished up the story in the area and fought the boss.

Fiora's death really shocked me. I wasn't expecting her to die, especially not so early in the story. I really thought she was going to be part of the main cast. It was a really well done emotional moment, and I'm glad that this game can pull out a surprise like that so early on.

It took me a little bit to get used to the battle system, but I feel like I have a good handle on it now. It's really enjoyable.

There's a lot of stuff, you're right. Try to take some time and explore the menus and what not. There's a collect-o-pedia, trading with unique characters, branching skills, leveling up your arts, affinity with everyone (not just party members). And don't forget you can switch who you're controlling in the party. So yeah, lots going on.. on my first playthrough I didn't even notice things like the collect-o-pedia and quick travel until I was many hours in.

ivysaur12

Banned
There are subtle moments that can change the game, if you catch them. There is an NPC in Colony 9 that will say a certain line just once. If you notice it, you can figure out what is happening in the game without highlighting a single spoiler. However, it was very well done, so instead of asking "what?", you simply start asking "why?" or "how?". The foreshadowing only adds to the game instead of detracting.

What's that?

There's a lot of stuff, you're right. Try to take some time and explore the menus and what not. There's a collect-o-pedia, trading with unique characters, branching skills, leveling up your arts, affinity with everyone (not just party members). And don't forget you can switch who you're controlling in the party. So yeah, lots going on.. on my first playthrough I didn't even notice things like the collect-o-pedia and quick travel until I was many hours in.

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of that. I just started running around and trying out trading with various people, and I've been trying to get a hang of the gem crafting and messing around with that stuff.

I'm having a lot of fun just exploring all of these different systems. It's a pleasant surprise after so many super streamlined RPGs where you have 4 stats, a single weapon and armor piece, etc.

tborsje

The writing and voice acting in this game are shockingly bad. It makes me want to stop playing the game.

What's wrong with the voice acting? I think it's great, it's nice to not have American accents barking at me from my RPG's every now and then.

Hiltz

Riki's

little furry ball
in my party at all.

Don't underestimate
the furball. Seriously. The little guy is a very useful character.
Of course, you'll have to put up with his silly commentary and ridiculous outfits.

I really feel like starting a new file for Xenoblade, but then I remember how huge the game was and it just feels like such a daunting task. One of these days though I'll return to the Bionis.

Teknoman

Man, I didn't expect a Wii game to suffer from HD-read only text. I tried playing this on my SDTV at first and the text was wrecking my brain so I had to switch to my HDTV and good god the jaggies. I haven't played much, but it seems like a really fun game. Just god damn ugly from a technical stand point.

I dunno if it's my TV size, but 37inch, component cables + progressive scan, and the jaggies dont seem that noticeable to me. I see them here and there, but nothing unbearable.

-GOUKI-

This game...
227839420.gif

Antagon

I dunno if it's my TV size, but 37inch, component cables + progressive scan, and the jaggies dont seem that noticeable to me. I see them here and there, but nothing unbearable.

I'm at 10 feet from a 42" plasma and it looks great imo. Of course, if I get close it looks really bad, but from my normal position I'm more then happy with how it looks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got a classic controller and componet cables today. Looks MUCH better and feels a lot better for me as well. Got around 5 hours in, really surprising stuff happened early on. Pretty much hooked already.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The scale on this game is mindblowing. I'm kinda overwhelmed, but looking forward to explore the world as much as I can.

I just reached Colony 6.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The writing and voice acting in this game are shockingly bad. It makes me want to stop playing the game.

Sure, the voice acting is far from being as good as from, say the Mass Effect franchise, but its still decent, and the accent saves it. :p

massoluk

Banned
Sure, the voice acting is far from being as good as from, say the Mass Effect franchise, but its still decent, and the accent saves it. :p

Save for Riki, the voice acting is superb. I hate the new Riki voice so much, cute and cuddly to some weird mix between some old dude and Batman.

Ultratech

Save for Riki, the voice acting is superb. I hate the new Riki voice so much, cute and cuddly to some weird mix between some old dude and Batman.

The JP VA for Riki bothers me since he sounds like a little boy. (A bit jarring due to the fact that
he's 40
.)
That'd get on my nerves real quick. Thus, I like English Riki better.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The JP VA for Riki bothers me since he sounds like a little boy. (A bit jarring due to the fact that
he's 40
.)
But that was sort of the point. That's why the party freaked out when they learned that.

Heropon is so awesome. One of my favorite characters to use in battle.

PK Gaming

Just got this yesterday. LOVING it so far.

It reminds of me of my favorite RPGs of old, like FFIX or Okage Shadow game. This game is HUGE, and the battle system is really fun. Healing outside of a fight? Dying makes you appear at the last area you've been without a game over screen? It's like they specifically wanted to make this game as fun as possible.

The british voice acting, while jarring at first, is something you quickly get used to.

It's REYN TIME.

Mikey Jr.

I have to say, this game does A LOT of things right for a JRPG.

-Save anywhere. God damn Godsend.

-Monsters that don't all fucking want to MURDER YOU 24/7. Its nice to go through a dungeon or a field, and there are monsters that are just minding their own business. Game has a nice mix of passive enemies and aggressive ones.

-When completing a quest, you dont have to run all the way back to the quest giver. It just completes it for you.

Yeah, there is more stuff, but I don't want to bother.

One thing I don't like is the UI, or presentation I guess. Not the graphics, I get that its the wii and all that. But I mean more like the menu, the font when little prompts come up. Feels very amateurish in that regard. Mind you this is coming off of FF XIII, but even FF XII had a much more polished, more professional looking menu. Not a deal breaker, just something that stands out.

Also, just a gameplay question. Sometimes when I'm fighting with Shulk in the middle of battle, the B button prompt will pop up. What do I get when I hit it?

Top Bottom