• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Shaffield

Buying a Wii and this today.

Is wii mote fine to play on, or is classic controller preferred ?
A lot of people prefer the Wiimote for the ease of choosing arts while moving, but I've always found the claw to be pretty intuitive, especially after playing a lot of Demon's Souls.

I'm sure both are fine

zlatko

Banned
I have both Wii and claw experience. I was only curious, because I'd rather not shell up the extra dough for a classic if it isn't that necessary, and I'd much prefer Wii mote than the claw.

Monster Huntering for hours at a time with Claw can really wear my fingers out. :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You really don't need to use the "claw" grip at all. I never did that and didn't have any issues dealing with movement and art selection with the CCPro. I really think that issue is kind of overblown.

yami4ct

I have both Wii and claw experience. I was only curious, because I'd rather not shell up the extra dough for a classic if it isn't that necessary, and I'd much prefer Wii mote than the claw.

Monster Huntering for hours at a time with Claw can really wear my fingers out. :(

You can use the claw if you really feel the need to control both the character and arts, which is useful, but I find it unnecessary for the most part. Even in the most hectic of battles I can think of the move I want to use, highlight it with the D-Pad, move into position and than execute.

ultron87

Nothing I've played in the game so far has come anywhere close to requiring the simultaneous movement and art selection that would make the claw necessary. I usually just pick my next art while the current one is animating and then move into position.

Busaiku

I'm not that far into the game, but I've found that I don't need to do anything more than hitting C twice on the Nunchuk, and everything works smoothly from there.

Shaffield

Nothing I've played in the game so far has come anywhere close to requiring the simultaneous movement and art selection that would make the claw necessary. I usually just pick my next art while the current one is animating and then move into position.
I actually find myself using the claw more when im just wandering around and don't want to stop moving when doing stuff on the menu.
I really just like the claw tho, I find it very comfortable. It certainly isn't necessary.

zlatko

Banned
Sounds good I'll stick with Wii mote and save the $ I'd use on a CC towards probably a memory card, or motion + since I plan to play Zelda after this.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
thanks guys:) I thought I remembered reading earlier in this thread a similar discussion about the combat being too hard, and people saying it wasn't and that you're supposed to be able to fight uniques while below lower level than them. So I felt a little incompetent. Appreciate it! Gonna go kill some birds!

Later on it's easier to do this, because you have a vast array of weapons, armor and especially gems, to make up the difference in statistics and levels. Just remember if something is too tough to defeat, you can come back to it later. And if you want to gain a few levels, completing side quest will almost always be faster than attempting to grind monsters.

flyover

Same here. I may not have been fighting optimally -- with the split seconds I was wasting by switching between the stick and d-pad -- but I still made it through the game just fine.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm not that far into the game, but I've found that I don't need to do anything more than hitting C twice on the Nunchuk, and everything works smoothly from there.

The battle system is really simple if you want it to be. If you want to explore deeper mechanics though (ie; for taking on much tougher monsters), it's there.

Eteric Rice

So I'm fighting a
tenticle robot monster outside of colony 6. Am I supposed to kill it's testicles, or fight the center? It already killed me once going after it's center.

I don't feel like dying more to figure it out.

Hobbun

xenobladeartwork7.jpg

/goodstuff

Ohhh, so good. Please tell me that is a normal (non-bull/non-Dolphin) game shot.

Started the game last night, only played about an hour of it. I just got to Colony 6. I am enjoying it so far, although I had thought there would be more combat actions to take care of. At least right now it is only selecting arts.

Also, do you sell the items you pick up? The ones with the bag icons? Or do you hold onto them for crafting later on?

So I'm fighting a
tenticle robot monster outside of colony 6. Am I supposed to kill it's testicles, or fight the center? It already killed me once going after it's center.

I took down the tentacles then moved onto the main body.

Started the game last night, only played about an hour of it. I just got to Colony 6.?

And I though I was going too fast.

Evlar

Banned
Ohhh, so good. Please tell me that is a normal (non-bull/non-Dolphin) game shot.

Started the game last night, only played about an hour of it. I just got to Colony 6. I am enjoying it so far, although I had thought there would be more combat actions to take care of. At least right now it is only selecting arts.

Also, do you sell the items you pick up? The ones with the bag icons? Or do you hold onto them for crafting later on?

Holy crap.

Sadist

Protip guys: sell the items depicted with a small bag icon. The ones with a big bag/glitter on it could come in handy for quests.

I'm still waiting on mine too. I ordered the Game + Controller combo, though, so my initial order date is 3/22.

Did you just order the game?

Oh I just ordered the game. I'm hoping you ordered the bundle? Otherwise that would be really unfair to you that mine was so quick to ship.

I ordered the game with controller as well. As I was saying in the other thread though my order was ORIGINALLY in early January, Nintendo's system doesn't allow for payment info updating. So since my CC expired, my new order date ended up being April 3rd. Never pre-ordering something through Nintendo's online store again. If I had just gone through Gamestop like I initially though of doing I'd have the damn game.

Umm, ok, my mistake then. Colony 9 then? Whatever the first town is.

Sorry.

Ahaha, yes that's much better. Colony 6 isn't for like 6-7 hours minimum.

Edit: And as for the bags, its unfortunate that the game doesn't tell you what you can and cant sell until you might have already sold the items. In general don't sell anything except excess gems/equipment.

Evlar

Banned
Umm, ok, my mistake then. Colony 9 then? Whatever the first town is.

Sorry.

No problem, just unintentionally funny.

As to your question about that screengrab... That's definitely not native from the Wii. That region looks good but not THAT good. All of the assets appear to be in-game, though, so I'd guess that was from Dolphin.

Mikey Jr.

Sounds good I'll stick with Wii mote and save the $ I'd use on a CC towards probably a memory card, or motion + since I plan to play Zelda after this.

I have absolutely 0 problem using the camera with the wii remote. Yea, its probably not that fluid using a d-pad, but I have no problems. I think quickly being able to select arts is much more important.

dyreschlock

I ordered the game with controller as well. As I was saying in the other thread though my order was ORIGINALLY in early January, Nintendo's system doesn't allow for payment info updating. So since my CC expired, my new order date ended up being April 3rd. Never pre-ordering something through Nintendo's online store again. If I had just gone through Gamestop like I initially though of doing I'd have the damn game.

well, according to Gamestop.com every store near my location has the game and controllers in stock, so I think I'm just going to cancel mine and go to the store :(

maybe Nintendo.com is just out of the controllers.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

That's a bullshot, but with in-game assets. It's official artwork so it's probably from some dev machine (I doubt they used Dolphin for it), and they painted Shulk in. It's the same with some of the other artwork in the OP.

Hobbun

Protip guys: sell the items depicted with a small bag icon. The ones with a big bag/glitter on it could come in handy for quests.

Thanks! Will keep that in mind. And weapons/armor, is it a good idea to hold onto them when getting better equipment? Or are some used for quests, or crafting?

Ahaha, yes that's much better. Colony 6 isn't for like 6-7 hours minimum.

Yeah, if anything, I am slower with games than most. Definitely not a rush ahead type of person. :)

As to your question about that screengrab... That's definitely not native from the Wii. That region looks good but not THAT good. All of the assets appear to be in-game, though, so I'd guess that was from Dolphin.

That's a bullshot, but with in-game assets. It's official artwork so it's probably from some dev machine (I doubt they used Dolphin for it), and they painted Shulk in. It's the same with some of the other artwork in the OP.

That's a shame. But not too important, I'm not a graphics whore, that just looked so good.

Hobbun

You'll be very happy with this game then I'd think. There is much to be had by taking your time and enjoying the atmosphere.

That's great to hear.

I'm just trying to decide yet if I am going to play with Wii remote/nunchuk combo or with CCP. I've read the FAQ on the front page, but was hoping for a 'this is the definitive control method'. Played with remote and nunchuk last night, it worked well, will have to try CCP when I play again.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm fighting a

It's probably easier to take out the tentacles first, to reduce its offensive ability. Most importantly, USE MONADO SPEED for any visions where the attack name appears in RED.

anaron

That's great to hear.

I'm just trying to decide yet if I am going to play with Wii remote/nunchuk combo or with CCP. I've read the FAQ on the front page, but was hoping for a 'this is the definitive control method'. Played with remote and nunchuk last night, it worked well, will have to try CCP when I play again.

Both are entirely valid ways to play the game, but I feel like it was more or less intended to be played with the CC.

So I'm fighting a

Kill tentacles first. Come on, that should be obvious. Always FF on the adds first. ;)

Alchemy

Man, I didn't expect a Wii game to suffer from HD-read only text. I tried playing this on my SDTV at first and the text was wrecking my brain so I had to switch to my HDTV and good god the jaggies. I haven't played much, but it seems like a really fun game. Just god damn ugly from a technical stand point.

Zebra

So can we expect to ever see sales numbers for this game in the U.S.?

I would love to see how well this sells compared to traditional, available-everywhere retail games here in the states.

Joei

Is the controller you get usable for the downloaded Nintendo games? I never bought an original classic controller and was looking at getting one in the next month or so, but would rather go this route and save a few bucks. Also, how much of the battle setup is like FF12? That's by far my favorite FF game. I wasn't really interested too much in this, but some of the videos I've watched make it look like this game is super expansive and could be fun, but I'm waiting until I figure out more about the battle system. Any ideas on time to complete with or without doing the side missions?

Alchemy

Is the controller you get usable for the downloaded Nintendo games? I never bought an original classic controller and was looking at getting one in the next month or so, but would rather go this route and save a few bucks.

Pretty sure the combo pack came with a regular classic controller pro so it will. Not like you'll be able to find the bundle anymore unless you preordered though.

Battle system too damn good. I love the dialogue between teammates although it can be a little cheesy at times. It's cool how you can link other's passive abilities into other character links. It makes you want to stop growing one link and use another. But only one character can get 3 links at a time? Or can they learn more as the game goes along?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is the controller you get usable for the downloaded Nintendo games? I never bought an original classic controller and was looking at getting one in the next month or so, but would rather go this route and save a few bucks. Also, how much of the battle setup is like FF12? That's by far my favorite FF game. I wasn't really interested too much in this, but some of the videos I've watched make it look like this game is super expansive and could be fun, but I'm waiting until I figure out more about the battle system. Any ideas on time to complete with or without doing the side missions?

There aren't any gambits or anything, the only control you have over the AI party members is that you determine what arts are available to them. You do get to select what art they use if you warn them of a vision or use a chain attack.

And completion time varies. If you rush, it could take 50 hours or so. If you take your time and do lots of other stuff, over 100 isn't out of the question. Think I was at 114 hours or so before I beat the final boss, then still ended up tacking another 30+ hours onto that.

Battle system too damn good. I love the dialogue between teammates although it can be a little cheesy at times. It's cool how you can link other's passive abilities into other character links. It makes you want to stop growing one link and use another. But only one character can get 3 links at a time? Or can they learn more as the game goes along?

Yeah they get more.

Ultratech

There aren't any gambits or anything, the only control you have over the AI party members is that you determine what arts are available to them. You do get to select what art they use if you warn them of a vision or use a chain attack.

You can also give them limited commands. It's mostly limited to:
-Attack Freely
-Attack My Target
-Come to my Position

Top Bottom