• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

ag-my001

Is it me, or is the most monstrous thing about the plot the fact that
Vanea and Meyneth butchered Fiora to manipulate Shulk
? And no one in the party calls them on it, either. So weird.

I don't recall this being the case.
When we get those snippets of Meyneth's thoughts, it's clear she doesn't know who Shulk is, just that her host seems to have some connection to him and the others.
I'm almost at the same point as you, so maybe there's a scene coming up that I forgot about from the first time through.

AniHawk

quick question (80% mark for those concerned with spoilers or thereabouts):
is there any major quest i need to do on prison island before it locks me out? i'm about to head on to the mechonis core, but i wanted to make sure i could check out more of that place and some of the other hidden areas around bionis.

Wichu

quick question (80% mark for those concerned with spoilers or thereabouts):
is there any major quest i need to do on prison island before it locks me out? i'm about to head on to the mechonis core, but i wanted to make sure i could check out more of that place and some of the other hidden areas around bionis.

Nothing in that particular location.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
my reaction to 7th initially:

oh so it's female shulk with less armor and no healing. THIS SHOULD BE FUN.

my reaction to 7th after
maxing out double-attacks, quick movement, and bumping agility, as well as unlocking the auto-crit skill for hitting with a double attack, and then maxing out her haste spell:

i am a living god

seriously, melia, sharla, and 7th are an unholy trinity of murder

Best character IMO. Best part is that unlike other really good characters like Melia and Shulk, that character is great under AI control as well.

If you want another tip for that character:
Dunban has a circle skill that heals 2% HP with every critical hit. It's expensive to link up (49 coins), but it works wonders.

I'm about 25 hours in, just got through exploring the majority of Frontier Village and Makna Forest. That was by far the most fun I've had with the game so far and Makna Forest may be my favorite area in a JRPG ever. If this game keeps getting better I will be floored.

Jesus, what the FUCK is wrong with the English version of
Riki's
voice?! That shit is horrible. Tried English voices for kicks (since most of the characters seemed okay in English when I had it on for a bit at the beginning) and got my ears assaulted with...that.

Anyway, I wish the Eryth armor set for Shulk was his endgame gear. It looks so badass.

One of the worst voice works in recent memory.

Jokeropia

Edit: N/m, talked to a random person and I got just 1 more affinity star thing (not the whole Colony 9 level, just an individual one) which apparently raised it enough to get that quest from her.
You may already be aware of this, but NPCs that are included in the affinity chart (and can raise your affinity with an area) appear as blue dots on the mini-map.

Posted this on PA also:

I have just make a fascinating discovery. Apologies if it has been mentioned before. You know how treasure chests stay on the field basically forever until they are opened? Well, reloading the game changes the contents of the chest. So if you are farming a particular drop from a gold chest or something, kill the things until you get a gold chest, save, then keep reloading and opening until you get what you want.

burgerdog

Posted this on PA also:

I have just make a fascinating discovery. Apologies if it has been mentioned before. You know how treasure chests stay on the field basically forever until they are opened? Well, reloading the game changes the contents of the chest. So if you are farming a particular drop from a gold chest or something, kill the things until you get a gold chest, save, then keep reloading and opening until you get what you want.

Common knowledge but great advice for those that do not know.

Instro

Posted this on PA also:

Yes, this is the best way to make sure you get the drops you want. Particularly useful for getting art books from unique monsters.

Figured as much. Would have been helpful to know that at less than 110 hours into the game when I started farming for the advanced books, haha.

Croc

Banned
You may already be aware of this, but NPCs that are included in the affinity chart (and can raise your affinity with an area) appear as blue dots on the mini-map.

Huh I actually didn't know that.

Storywise now I'm (presumably) nearing the end of (mid-game spoilers)
Valak Mountain. It's probably my least favorite place in the game, it's almost obnoxiously expansive and empty and is just annoying to traverse.

Common knowledge but great advice for those that do not know.

How's this for common knowledge that probably everybody already knows and I didn't figure out until like 25+ hours; Black dots on the mini-map are named npc's.

EDIT: 6 posts above me lol.. Damn I was to slow.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Valak Mountain. It's probably my least favorite place in the game, it's almost obnoxiously expansive and empty and is just annoying to traverse.

Yeah, probably the worst part of the game imo. A huge mountain with nothing to do but a few quests and blue orbs to collect.(Damn you Ice cabbages).

At least the music is cool...

burgerdog

How's this for common knowledge that probably everybody already knows and I didn't figure out until like 25+ hours; Black dots on the mini-map are named npc's.

I didn't know about that until someone pointed it out earlier. I've done a ton of googling when searching for NPCs and no one said anything about the blue dots. Almost as mind blowing as the 80% mark revelations.

Bisnic

I didn't know about that until someone pointed it out earlier. I've done a ton of googling when searching for NPCs and no one said anything about the blue dots. Almost as mind blowing as the 80% mark revelations.

It was easy to notice if you often looked at your mini-map. :p Blue dots always appear where named npcs are, so i was like "So that's what it is".

emb

I didn't know that either.

On the subject of obvious stuff we didn't figure out: I had no idea that there was an experience bar. I spent a while wondering if there was a way to see how far until the next level. I think I saw it, just didn't realize what it was for a while.

burgerdog

More! The game doesn't swap to a new talent tree when it caps your current one. I'm sure I wasted a ton of points before I realized that.

zlatko

Banned
More! The game doesn't swap to a new talent tree when it caps your current one. I'm sure I wasted a ton of points before I realized that.

Wait what? Explain this one more. Are you saying if I want all the abilities from a talent tree I should stop at the 2nd to last one, then swap trees and keep doing this for all of them for each character?

Bisnic

Wait what? Explain this one more. Are you saying if I want all the abilities from a talent tree I should stop at the 2nd to last one, then swap trees and keep doing this for all of them for each character?

No, he says that if you're at the last skill from a tree, you should be careful to watch it once in a while so that you can change tree right after the current one is filled.

Korosenai

I just got there this morning. I could not make it through there fast enough, and will not go back unless I need a certain item. It was just a boring/bland environment, and too massive like you said with nothing to really do.

Croc

Banned
I just got there this morning. I could not make it through there fast enough, and will not go back unless I need a certain item. It was just a boring/bland environment, and too massive like you said with nothing to really do.

Yeah, unfortunately I'm trying to do the
Colony 6 reconstruction
and I need 2 Ice Cabbages from there for the next level of Nature.

Funny that such a useless art would be hard to get the book for. It's like they're telling you not to use it. Less than 2.5% seems pretty crazy since I got all the books I needed relatively easily on my first playthrough. Must have had much higher percentages.
I missed a little something. It drops from Gold chests which have I think tends to have more items in them (is it always 4?) so maybe the game rolls for it multiple times and when something drops it is removed from the list. So say something has 50% chance and that rolls first time, then it would be 2.5/50 rather than 2.5/100 as the 50% thing can't drop again...

Question regarding Shulk's skill tree.
4th one, to be exact.
It earliest you can do it both from a reputation standpoint and the quest being unlocked is
Satorl Marsh
but it requires virtually every quest to be done and every NPC registered.

The quest unlock requires 8000 reputation. I don't what 4 stars is at but I think it is 6000 or 7000. The
Jackson[/spoilers] quests you mentioned were at 5000 repuation. As for how much reputation clearing a quest gives you...50-250 I think (50 is for generic search quest and material quest kinda things), registering NPCs and chatting to them gives you some too. I think the last set of quests that unlock for Colony 9 before the endgame are either when (6th)
Riki
joins the party or when you enter Er
yth Sea

In trying to work out reputation I found that affinity links are actually based on area affinity. As in certain links can only be made once you've reached the reputation. One example is (colony 9 NPC)
King Sleeze and that woman, at 4 stars talking to them should change the link to something like "Partners in Crime" whereas before it was something like Accomplices?

Zornica

Banned
Valek at night is one of my favorite places in the game. But yeah, it's rather empty compared to some other areas.

but somehow that's what I loved about that area... You feel isolated, lost... It reminded me a bit of metroid. Now you are on unknowen terrain, there is noone there to help you. It's a harsh environment with lots of paths and secrets to uncover. There where many interessting vistas too. And I really liked the weather changes... light snow, blizzard.

is there any data about the us sales yet?

Goddamn, I need to keep ALL my Xenoblade talk confimed to this thread and this thread only. Having to deal with the children in the "kitten punching" topic is one of the biggest train wrecks ever.

I keep getting killed by the twin big dinos that you encounter when you save the kid who crashed his speeder on the way to colony 6. They kill me in 30 seconds. What level should I be for this fight? Any tips?

Hiltz

Goddamn, I need to keep ALL my Xenoblade talk confimed to this thread and this thread only. Having to deal with the children in the "kitten punching" topic is one of the biggest train wrecks ever.

I keep getting killed by the twin big dinos that you encounter when you save the kid who crashed his speeder on the way to colony 6. They kill me in 30 seconds. What level should I be for this fight? Any tips?

Try leveling up once and see if that makes any difference. If they're unique monsters, then they're like 2 levels stronger than you're party despite what the level on their name tag says. If you can, try to lure one of the monsters toward you so that you can fight em one- on- one. I don't remember those monsters so it may not be possible.

ag-my001

I believe that's a story battle (green barrier), so no luring to help there. I'd say check back at Colony 9 for missed quests to level up a bit more, or take out any missed uniques in Tephra Cave for better gear.

Hiltz

You're right.I checked online and the battle takes place within a green barrier against two rhinoceros-like lvl. 14 Beserk Ardun monsters. The player beat them with his party at lvl 16. Just focus on fighting one monster at a time and let Reyne become the target of aggro by one of the monsters so Shulk isn't getting hit by both of them. Remember to position yourself around the monster's side/back/front depending on the type of attack you are using to deal more damage.

StAidan

Any tips for beating the lv.31 unique igna in
Exile Fortress (Satorl Marsh)
? My party is up to lv.36 and
Melia
just joined up with me. I keep going back there thinking, "I must be powerful enough now," but the dang thing basically knocks my party down like dominoes (its favorite special move finishes each character in 1 hit).

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, because I haven't had much trouble with any creatures up till now.

Wichu

Melia
just joined up with me. I keep going back there thinking, "I must be powerful enough now," but the dang thing basically knocks my party down like dominoes (its favorite special move finishes each character in 1 hit).

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, because I haven't had much trouble with any creatures up till now.

That guy's just a pain. I managed to beat him at about that level, but only just. No tips other than to kill his minions first, though :(

Balphon

Melia

That guy took about a half dozen tries but I managed to beat him at around level 32 or so. I controlled Reyn and brought along Shulk and Sharla. All you really need to look out for is that big AoE physical art he uses; I seem to recall that it took off about 70% of Reyn's health and 90% of Sharla/Shulk's. If you get a premonition you can have Shulk use Shield to block it or, if you prefer, just control Shulk and keep Shield up as much as possible, since it won't always trigger the premonition. Having to warn Shulk and/or revive people constantly means the party gauge will be at a premium so I wouldn't use a chain attack unless you're sure the boss is going to die.

Alternatively, you can try to run everyone out of range or have Sharla use Tranquilize while the boss is charging his arts, as both of those will cause him to cancel the charge and start over, netting you a bit of extra time. Topple/Daze will also interrupt his charges, and it's a good idea to keep him toppled/dazed as much as possible anyway since that amounts to 4-6 seconds where he's not attacking.

Providing you can avoid and survive that one art it just takes a bit of luck, though I'm not sure why he's still one shotting you if you're five levels above him. Maybe try some HP gems?

Bisnic

nearing the end of the game. im missing quite a few intermediate manuals. do you guys know where it is?

I've seen many of them drop from unique monsters above lvl 75 or something. It's pretty random what books they might drop, i think.

Oh wait... intermediate books? I think i got it mixed up with the expert ones.

Korosenai

I've been doing good all game, haven't died once since i died this one time to that caterpillar outside of colony 9 (the first unique you fight), and now
Sword Valley
is absolutely kicking my ass. I'm a level 47, and none of my team combinations are seeming to work. Any tips? Should I just go do some side quests and level up some more?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Late game sidquest spoilers:
Was anybody else hoping/thinking the Replica Monado quests would result in Monado style weapons for the rest of the party? Feels like a missed opportunity for something cool there.

Thanks, I'll try it again when I get a chance. I always forget about the Shield art, that could certainly help the situation.

Monado shield for his AoE skill and monado speed for his single target skill (or alternatively run to sharla or reyn to "warn" them and use their defensive things). Level up those monado skills, they're really useful.

Seanspeed

Banned
Alright, another question:

When I'm in battle, you can see what buffs/debuffs you(or the enemy) have above your characters avatar on the side of the screen, but it seems it can only show one and sometimes two of them. Does this mean that buffs/debuffs dont stack and I can only have one at a time or can only affect an enemy with one debuff at a time? Or are they still there, it just only shows the last one that affected the character/enemy?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, another question:

When I'm in battle, you can see what buffs/debuffs you(or the enemy) have above your characters avatar on the side of the screen, but it seems it can only show one and sometimes two of them. Does this mean that buffs/debuffs dont stack and I can only have one at a time or can only affect an enemy with one debuff at a time? Or are they still there, it just only shows the last one that affected the character/enemy?

Unless I'm mistaken the buff/debuff icons cycle.

I'm at
Sword Valley now. The story's taken a nosedive ever since Fiora was revealed to be alive, Shulk's balls have all but disappeared completely. The Monado II looks lame compared to the original, as well. I hope Shulk goes back to being cool again because this whiny motherfucker just ain't doing it for me.

Alchemy

Anyone else running into ranged characters like Sharla deciding it would be a good idea to stand in lava or poisonous water? Any room with tight spacing and a battle in it is a massive pain in the ass.

I just wish I could control my entire damn party -.-

ag-my001

I've been doing good all game, haven't died once since i died this one time to that caterpillar outside of colony 9 (the first unique you fight), and now
Sword Valley
is absolutely kicking my ass. I'm a level 47, and none of my team combinations are seeming to work. Any tips? Should I just go do some side quests and level up some more?

There is a definite up-tick in the difficulty of mobs once you get to that area. For one thing, their levels jump up, so even if you've been doing all the quests, mobs will start to be blue and even white. You also will start to see an increase of mobs that trigger spike damage when you topple them. And then there are those giant mobs (and heaven help you, the giant unique mob) that can't be toppled. Basically, this is the point in the game where you need to stop picking whatever skill is off cooldown and start planning ahead. For instance, when using a chain attack, you shouldn't always focus on building up the same color; sometimes it is more important to initiate a Break/Topple on mobs that are resistant to normal use. Or chain smarter: if Melia is in your party, use her Talent Art to chain different colors. You could use two blue arts to heal/move aggro, then have Melia use a summon (continues the chain), then switch to your red arts for the x4 chain bonus damage.

To answer your main question, I would probably level up a bit, maybe to 49-50. This will bring you to parity with the higher level mobs in the area. There aren't too many side-quests in the next few sections, so killing what you can is now more worth it.

Anyone else running into ranged characters like Sharla deciding it would be a good idea to stand in lava or poisonous water? Any room with tight spacing and a battle in it is a massive pain in the ass.

There are in-battle commands you can issue, one of which pulls the other two to your location. Very nice when splitting up a tough pull, as mobs will only aggro to you unless already grouped. Just be sure to issue the command to attack again so they don't stand there like idiots.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

I had the opposite happen quite a few times where the melee character push or themselves got pushed into a bad area and they don't reposition. It's even more fun during a boss fight where you can't call for a retreat to reposition.

There are in-battle commands you can issue, one of which pulls the other two to your location. Very nice when splitting up a tough pull, as mobs will only aggro to you unless already grouped. Just be sure to issue the command to attack again so they don't stand there like idiots.

What is that command? I only remember the "focus on my target" command.

Seanspeed

Banned
Unless I'm mistaken the buff/debuff icons cycle.

Ah ok. Its kind of annoying not being able to immediately see what a character or enemy has. There's so much going on during battle, its hard for me to pay attention to every single buff/debuff that happens.

On the other hand, just got to Valak Mt. and I'm once again impressed by the size and look each new area.

Alchemy

I had the opposite happen quite a few times where the melee character push or themselves got pushed into a bad area and they don't reposition. It's even more fun during a boss fight where you can't call for a retreat to reposition.

It is also really fun when people don't move out of the way of cone attacks.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Melia

Beating him at level 30 is probably one of the highlights of my playthrough. I used Shulk, Dunban and Reyn. Focus on toppling and dazing him so he can't attack you (remember if you topple + daze then use a chain attack you can re-use the arts, and with that party you can get 4 topples + 2 dazes off which will last a long time, maybe even 4 dazes if you have shield bash). Take advantage of the Monado abilities like speed when he uses red arts/shield if he uses a talent art. And of course, lure the minions into the hallway and kill them first.

Top Bottom