• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Kadux

Neo Member
If you're unlocking your bootloader BE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR DRM KEYS! If you don't do that, you will never again have Bravia Engine.

Honestly i dont see point in unlocking bootloader since stock rom of XZ is fantastic so far, and I'm coming from iphone.

I also came from an iphone. I have no beef with the stock rom of the XZ, just wanted to try some new things but seems kinda complicated and prone to mess up the phone :(

vivftp

Well going by recent posts on esato, Honamis camera will have a sensor size of 1/1.6". For comparisons sake, here is a graphic comparing the Homani sensor size on the left vs. the Xperia Z sensor size which is 1/3.06"

f5_NJ54n9i_K4_W3_KQCg_GMt.jpg

REALLY hoping this is true as it'll be the largest sensor in a phone save for the Pureview 808 and its 1/1.2" sensor. In comparison though, Honami should be far thinner, so that's all good.

Another reliable poster from esato has mentioned no xenon flash for Honami though, which makes me sad... was REALLY hoping to finally get that on a phone. Hope he's either incorrect, or that there will be some variant with it.

There does seem to be a fair bit of confusion over just how many high end phones Sony are planning. As zomg pointed out, Sony has really locked down the leaks. I'm just hoping we don't have to wait all the way until the official announcements

DieH@rd

Banned
Well going by recent posts on esato, Honamis camera will have a sensor size of 1/1.6". For comparisons sake, here is a graphic comparing the Homani sensor size on the left vs. the Xperia Z sensor size which is 1/3.06"

f5_NJ54n9i_K4_W3_KQCg_GMt.jpg

REALLY hoping this is true as it'll be the largest sensor in a phone save for the Pureview 808 and its 1/1.2" sensor. In comparison though, Honami should be far thinner, so that's all good.

Another reliable poster from esato has mentioned no xenon flash for Honami though, which makes me sad... was REALLY hoping to finally get that on a phone. Hope he's either incorrect, or that there will be some variant with it.

There does seem to be a fair bit of confusion over just how many high end phones Sony are planning. As zomg pointed out, Sony has really locked down the leaks. I'm just hoping we don't have to wait all the way until the official announcements

1st shot of new Sony flaghsip smartphone! :D
highres-nokiapureviewdxjhp.jpg

/runs away

sammich

I knew i should have held out for that uber phone(not the pic above me).. ugh. Anyway, this thread doesnt seem to get as much love as the HTC and S4 ones, but any suggestions of a good case for the ZL? I rarely drop my phone but i still rather have it protected as much as possible. I rather not have a plastic or a plastic feeling case and also one that doesnt block off the IR blaster.

sammich

... i just noticed i have a ding in the glass on my phone.. WTF.. not sure how that happened and its the first time ever since owning a phone that it has happened. I think im out of the 15 days for rogers warranty for it so now im really annoyed by this..

sammich

what is a ding? a crack? a chip? Xperia phones come with a screen protector applied so if there are markings on your screen it's most probably just on the plastic sheet that is on top of the glass.

I guess you can call it a chip. Ill have to rip off the protector and get a new one. I hope thats all it is.

Mokubba

Does the XZ clean itself or is it just me?

Also the SP is on sale for £250 on PAYG from T-mobile. I honestly didn't expect it to be priced that low. The Xperia S is still more expensive than it in some places.

Marco1

I saw the Z for the first time on Sunday and it really is a beautiful phone. If the humani is the same as the Z design but more specs then I am there day one.

spwolf

HTC One has weird color and blur issues... Samsung has weird issues when you pan the camera... Z is less detailed (over compressed?) but overall the best image since it has least amount of weird color/balance/focus issues that other two have.

HTC is just blurry... major fail really, much advertised one too.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm really tempted to pickup the One tomorrow through T-Mobile, but I also want see the Z or ZL in person first. I just want more info released for the US market.

He's talking about the video with the comparisons between one/s4 and the z.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mol0mZz3Cg0 @1:13

or

http://i.minus.com/ioNUimAlMb892.png

Whats up with the yellow tint and the blurring?

It's got the wrong whitebalance, and the blurring is actually bokeh, which is the sign of a decent lens. In that sense the HTC is better than both because it manages to hold a decent amount of bokeh during video which the other two don't. If you look at the bottom left of the HTC picture you can see there is a yellow flower in perfect focus, so in this case the blurring is actually accidental bokeh, likely a user error.

Perfect that's the one I wanted, I'm going to buy and switch to T-Mobile with no contract, thanks!

Make sure it's the C6606 version before buying otherwise it won't work on T-Mobile 3G. If you want the ZL C6506 then this is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BNR5AEA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or try here:

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=RA5186

For $75 less. It's a Sony approved dealer.

AFAIK the Z that works on T-Mobile won't be released offline via discount retailers as it will be available via T-Mobile eventually.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Perfect that's the one I wanted, I'm going to buy and switch to T-Mobile with no contract, thanks!

Make sure the area you're in supports T-Mo's 3G (in this case refarmed 1900mhz), because the Z doesn't natively support T-mo's 3G bands (1700/2100)

So I'm thinking the Z would be nice, but how's the battery life?

I'm really pleased with the battery life im getting. I was having to charge my old Galaxy S2 up at work every day, while my Z will last until the wee hours or until bedtime even. Although im not too much of a power user on my phone since i have a tablet, i have used it quite a bit this evening

edit> oops the graph was in the wrong place

Cerity

It's got the wrong whitebalance, and the blurring is actually bokeh, which is the sign of a decent lens. In that sense the HTC is better than both because it manages to hold a decent amount of bokeh during video which the other two don't. If you look at the bottom left of the HTC picture you can see there is a yellow flower in perfect focus, so in this case the blurring is actually accidental bokeh, likely a user error.

It's an issue with the auto white balance, you can see it adjust from the same yellow tint in the first 10 secs of the video. You can see all the phones adjust but none as extreme as the one.

vivftp

Latest tidbits on Honamis camera:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/sony-honami-cyber-shot-camera-phone-details-leaked/19881.html

Sony_Honami_camera.png.jpeg

Summary:

-All new image processing algorithm, similar to Sony's Cyber-shot digital cameras
-Completely revamped camera UI, software goodies from Cyber-shot digital cameras of 2013
-Superior Auto Scene Recognition, an improvement over the Superior Auto mode found in the Xperia Z/ZL
-Xenon or Dual LED flash, to be 10 times brighter than ordinary flash on smartphones.
-Sony 1/1.6" Exmor RS stacked sensor
-Sony Cybershot G Lens, glass lens, premium grade
-Sony is also working on an "Augmented Reality" app similar to Nokia's amazing City Lens.
-Sony's Honami won't be slim, with our internal estimates at about 10 mm thickness.

Sonys G lens is the next best option to Carl Zeiss as far as I'm concerned. Also excited about the much more powerful flash, whatever it is.

commissar

I'm really pleased with the battery life im getting. I was having to charge my old Galaxy S2 up at work every day, while my Z will last until the wee hours or until bedtime even. Although im not too much of a power user on my phone since i have a tablet, i have used it quite a bit this evening

edit> oops the graph was in the wrong place
thanks man, I've gone ahead and bought one :)
pretty impressed so fad and a huge step up from my iPhone 2G...

Hung Wei Lo

Holy shit, the hell I had to go through to firstly get this phone, then unlock it. At the end of the day, this guy did it for me in literally 10 minutes...so I'm now officially part of the brotherhood.

Quick question: what's the little gauge icon on the status bar supposed to represent?

edit - never mind - found it: http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/124828

-x.Red.x-

hey guys!! i need some opinion!

I am torn between the Arco S or waiting for the Zr.
From what i see the Arco is waterproof/hd/bravia/ almost the same as the Z only smaller and cheaper plus a camera button.

Now Arco S is $374 at amazon. and the Zr, who know when it comes out to the states and for how much :(

So Gaf...

should i get the arco S or wait for the Zr?

also does anyone know if the arco works with tmobile nyc?

Chinner

Banned
still seeing battery life improvements on my ZL. got 5 hours of screen time yesterday playing games, which I'm pretty happy with.

Got screencaps of stats too if anyone is interested (nope)

GQman2121

Banned

Finally something positive!

I was told that T-Mobile would have the HTC One in today, but no dice. Delayed for in-store sale/demo for at least another week. And even that isn't a sure thing. I could order online and have the phone in a few days, but fuck spending hundreds of dollars on a phone without touching it it first.

AT&T seem to have them readily available, so I might go there tomorrow to check it out until TM get's their shit together. But I'm still very much interested in the Xperia.

That might not happen, SMC just changed a bunch of their security protocols with regard to prototype loaning and letting beta units out of the main Tokyo/Lund offices.

Indeed. I would be surprised if even a third of that list made it into the final device.

It's not going to be $1000, it will replace ZL at the same price point, no higher than that. The phablet will be more expensive and go into new pricing territory though, possibly $799 offline and $299 on a two year deal with AT&T.

Very, very unlikely that Sony are manufacturing it (impossible I think) because they don't have any mobile display assets left, they just handed over the last of them to JDI on April 1st 2013 as part of the deal with the Japanese government. Also if they needed to make the screens in house for TriLuminous then the 55/65" TVs would be inhouse, but they aren't the panels are constructed by AUO, again because Sony don't have any large screen LCD panel construction assets, just sold them (at a huge loss) to Samsung. The only panels Sony produce inhouse is OLED from 7" to 30" and those are limited to around 10k per month because of the expense and lack of scalability of the process. But they do good business on the professional side with those. The 25" TriMaster EL OLED has already sold through its first production run despite being over $20k. I had heard that they made a breakthrough recently with the scaling of the OLED pilot line but nothing since then, but again, that could just be related to the production of a 30" OLED monitor on the same process which was limited to 25" previously.

I would highly doubt Qualcomm are working with Sony on a special architecture/processor. It's not how they operate. Unless Sony dumped a truckload of cash (which they don't have) at Qualcomm's San Diego office it seems highly unlikely that they would make an exclusive chip for a smaller player and deny it to the market leader. Doesn't make a lick of sense.

Sony are going for a metal and glass build for the phablet and H2 flagship (I refuse to use that idiotic "One Sony" fanboy name, it's just ridiculous), a step up from the Xperia Z which used plastic and glass. Carbon fibre is too brittle to be in phones if one were to drop a carbon fibre phone it could smash into a million pieces.

"Ray 3" hasn't been delayed and it is a Japan only device like its predecessor (Xperia SX) you are talking about a different phone which is due in H1 2014. "Ray 3" is supposedly out this year in Japan with decidedly mid-range specs but a very, very small footprint, smaller than iPhone 5.

I think this misconception comes from people seeing the UK/EU pricing and then doing a straight conversion to USD without accounting for the tax differences because that's the third time I have seen it mentioned, and there is just no way Sony release the world's most expensive phone. They have been trying to shake that "expensive" reputation for the better part of 5 years and releasing a phone over $300 more than the competitor (GS4) is just not going to happen. $759 at Sony's own outlets, and $599 at discount/online retailers. That's the other big deal, Sony are in talks with big box retailers in the US to carry the phone unlocked and off contract.

That would be huge. Definitely don't want to buy phones through a carrier. Why aren't smartphones sold like regular electronics at retail?

That would be huge. Definitely don't want to buy phones through a carrier. Why aren't smartphones sold like regular electronics at retail?

They aren't in the US? Here in the Benelux and Germany phones are sold like that through almost every Best Buy like electronics store and through webshops.

Danj

Does anyone else here use the NeoReader QR reader that's bundled with the Xperia Z? If so have you noticed that it seems to decode the address field of vCards in the wrong order?

They aren't in the US? Here in the Benelux and Germany phones are sold like that through almost every Best Buy like electronics store and through webshops.

Nope. At least not any of the good phones. It's mind boggling now that I think about. I don't know why anyone would want such a premium device only for it be mutilated and controlled by some fucking carrier.

Top Bottom