• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Chinner

Banned
i know this is relatively old news now but its amazing how much better photos are in burst mode. sony utterly messed up the image processing software and its a shame because the hardware is quite capable really.

the majority of images captured in superior auto are abit weak best as they may not capture the true colours/lighting and can be quite grainy sometimes. the manual camera mode is much better and gives you much more accurate photos, but photos can be still grainy.... also quite slow to get all the settings captured so if you have to take a picture right then you may just lose your moment.

burst 4 lyfe. heres are some images.
dsc_0000019dzyg.jpg

dsc_000002xcyt6.jpg

dsc_00000280x3w.jpg

dsc_000001n3lhv.jpg

Amazing pictures chinner.

I'm travelling in a couple of weeks with my ZL so I'll do some comparison shots with burst and "superior" auto. I'll even throw in some RX100 comparisons as well even though it's not really a fair comparison...

Damn, beautiful.

I heard using Camera360 is good too, havent tested and make comparison between stock camera and camera360, but for now im satisfied with camera quality.

Must admit, not as much as on iphone 4s...

Little? Why risk a ban for few euros? Greediness often leads to sour results.

Frankly the more people take advantage of these loopholes the less likely we will get similar things in the future. Goodwill shouldn't be taken advantage of.

I don't think they will be banned, unless it's like double figures of codes then they will probably catch someone's eye.

I agree that taking advantage of it is really bad, it's also very selfish since many might know of that offer and not find a code. Also I find it crazy that they'd take more than 3 codes, I don't know there's that much to be paid on.

So for the unlocked version for the US, I know it's compatible with at&t 3G and HSPA+, but will I also be able to transfer my iphone 4 sim?

Thanks. Really tempted to pick this up since it's $599 on amazon.

I just hope I won't regret it with the H2 flagship coming up. Do you have any more info on that? And do you think Sony will drop the Z from future updates when the new model is out?

You won't regret the Z, and it won't be dropped like the 2012 line up because it runs on Krait.

Akira

Thanks. Really tempted to pick this up since it's $599 on amazon.

I just hope I won't regret it with the H2 flagship coming up. Do you have any more info on that? And do you think Sony will drop the Z from future updates when the new model is out?

I would just wait for the Honami. If you buy the Z now you'd get a good, but flawed phone and a much better (on paper) phone will come out in the Fall.

I would just wait for the Honami. If you buy the Z now you'd get a good, but flawed phone and a much better (on paper) phone will come out in the Fall.

That's the problem. It's better on paper going by rumours, but the final device probably won't have a third of what's on the rumoured list and it will come out in January or something. The Z is out now and it's a great phone.

Away

Neo Member
That's the problem. It's better on paper going by rumours, but the final device probably won't have a third of what's on the rumoured list and it will come out in January or something. The Z is out now and it's a great phone.

Are you talking about Honami? It won't launch this year?

Honestly, other than the screen issues, I don't see anything flawed about the Z. It's the only android that matches the iphone's style and build quality.

Some reviews are really annoying to read because you can tell they're trying so hard to put it below the HTC and the S4. Just making up faults or saying dumb opinions to dock points ("oh, the design sucks, it's black and angular!").

JonnyBrad

i know this is relatively old news now but its amazing how much better photos are in burst mode. sony utterly messed up the image processing software and its a shame because the hardware is quite capable really.

the majority of images captured in superior auto are abit weak best as they may not capture the true colours/lighting and can be quite grainy sometimes. the manual camera mode is much better and gives you much more accurate photos, but photos can be still grainy.... also quite slow to get all the settings captured so if you have to take a picture right then you may just lose your moment.

burst 4 lyfe. heres are some images.

A little off topic but I miss Bangkok so much.

Mokubba

Can Sony replace the screen protector on the XZ. Mine has a couple scratches and it will most likely get worse in future. Just wondering if I have the option in future. I don't really like the phone without the Sony logo.

I've collected my £22 as well. So many freebies with this phone.

Akira

Honestly, other than the screen issues, I don't see anything flawed about the Z. It's the only android that matches the iphone's style and build quality.

Some reviews are really annoying to read because you can tell they're trying so hard to put it below the HTC and the S4. Just making up faults or saying dumb opinions to dock points ("oh, the design sucks, it's black and angular!").

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Z. Out of all the smartphones including HTC One and GS4 out now I would still get the Z or ZL. I just think the Honami will be the home run the Z/ZL was supposed to be.

Are you talking about Honami? It won't launch this year?

That's not what I said. My point was that the Z is out now and rumoured devices are not. Anything can happen to the H2 devices between now and October, it could be delayed, cancelled, there could be component shortages, anything. Xperia Z is available now, and for $599 which can be coupled with a $30/m unlimited data plan on T-Mobile.

I pretty much know what's going into the H2 flagship, yet I still bought a ZL. Why? Because the ZL is out now and I can buy it. Sony are a very fickle company, relying on them to get something out on time and waiting for a device to be announced and released is silly when they have an awesome device already out. The improvements from Z/ZL to H2 are not going to be that big, and with updated camera software and a more optimised UI, Z/ZL are pretty much unbeatable IMO.

Away

Neo Member
The improvements from Z/ZL to H2 are not going to be that big, and with updated camera software and a more optimised UI, Z/ZL are pretty much unbeatable IMO.

I would agree with you so far but I think Honami will be a decent jump. In terms of SoC, S800 will decimate S4 pro, Xenon flash (if implemented) will do wonders over LED, and also there are details such as infra red and carbon fiber build, so it seems to me Honami will be something worth skipping Z/ZL.

EDIT: could you please post your Honami specs since I've seen several versions on the internet and I'm not sure which one do you hold to be most likely.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Amazing photos chinner
played with Xperia sp yesterday it was damn big and heavy why the fuck these phones got so big 4.3 is perfect size imo

sammich

Sigh.. my first foray into non-apple hardware/IOS has not been a good start. Now im having issues with my mic. All of a sudden last night no one could heard me at all or it gets muffled and goes from high to low. Tired calling a few people and it was the same thing. Sigh.

Sigh.. my first foray into non-apple hardware/IOS has not been a good start. Now im having issues with my mic. All of a sudden last night no one could heard me at all or it gets muffled and goes from high to low. Tired calling a few people and it was the same thing. Sigh.

Did you put your phone into water before making a call? Because if mic get wet then it takes some time to dry so people cna hear you again normally, also for speaker.

In other hand, maybe you got bad device since this is not a first time I'm seeing that someone's complaining about mic.. Unfortunately.

After 2 weeks, i don't miss iOS at all, now I'm thinking about selling my iPad 3 too.

sammich

Did you put your phone into water before making a call? Because if mic get wet then it takes some time to dry so people cna hear you again normally, also for speaker.

In other hand, maybe you got bad device since this is not a first time I'm seeing that someone's complaining about mic.. Unfortunately.

After 2 weeks, i don't miss iOS at all, now I'm thinking about selling my iPad 3 too.

No water. If i switch to speaker it works fine. Im not sure when this happened. I rarely use my phone for calls oddly enough. Most of the time its texting or emails. And the previous time i needed to make a call on it it was fine.

Had to google it and saw some people have had issues with the MIC. Not on this phone though, other Sony phones and they described the same issue. Im not going back to IoS, but with 2 phones and over six years with Apple hardware/software, i cant deny that it was essentially bulletproof.

I have to take it to a Rogers store so that they can test it before they give me a replacement device.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
If you live in the US, the Xperia SP is up for pre-order at SonyStyle for $489.00, which is an awesome deal

Also, the ZL went down in price to 629.00

No water. If i switch to speaker it works fine. Im not sure when this happened. I rarely use my phone for calls oddly enough. Most of the time its texting or emails. And the previous time i needed to make a call on it it was fine.

Had to google it and saw some people have had issues with the MIC. Not on this phone though, other Sony phones and they described the same issue. Im not going back to IoS, but with 2 phones and over six years with Apple hardware/software, i cant deny that it was essentially bulletproof.

I have to take it to a Rogers store so that they can test it before they give me a replacement device.

are you covering the mic with your finger in any way during conversation?

If you live in the US, the Xperia SP is up for pre-order at SonyStyle for $489.00, which is an awesome deal

Also, the ZL went down in price to 689.00

Slight correction, the ZL (C6506, compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile LTE) has been reduced to $629, not $689.

I still feel that it should be $599, and should have been that from the start. It would have jumpstarted buying phones offline in the US if Sony offered it (relatively) cheap and advertised it properly.

sammich

are you covering the mic with your finger in any way during conversation?

Nope. Otherwise id have been doing it all the time and i didnt have this issue till sunday night. Took it to a rogers store for them to test it before i get a replacement and they had the same issue. So now i just wait till they give me the go ahead for my new phone.

Just received my eBay dock. It's not the official one.

- MicroUSB cable was included
- Bottom is rubber/ anti-slip
- Feels good

Some photos:

qPvkGVy.jpg

DVMQEJg.jpg

3uMR8Mz.jpg

41mRM56.jpg

It's a steal for 7.5 euros and it works accordingly.

noobie

Banned
Slight correction, the ZL (C6506, compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile LTE) has been reduced to $629, not $689.

I still feel that it should be $599, and should have been that from the start. It would have jumpstarted buying phones offline in the US if Sony offered it (relatively) cheap and advertised it properly.

Do you have any updated numbers on how well Xperia Z and ZL selling.?
I wander if they can hit 10 million and 5 million respectively before the H2 devices.

hertog

Thanks, just got £22 on PSN with this. Now I have to find something I want to buy... I already own Tokyo Jungle, is there anything else PSN or Sony exclusive that I could get?

I bought soul sacrifice with it, great game.
But it's a vita exclusive and it's 35-40 euro's

RiverBed

Banned
Just released in the US via the Sony store. Finally! I bought one immediately. (two hours since availability) :)

Streaming HD videos while in the tub here I come!

Top Bottom