• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

One Sony and Phablet rumors:

The first is from a forum poster on Baidu who claims he is a tester for Sony Xperia devices. He starts with Togari, which is believed to sport a 6.44-inch 1080p display with a design similar to the Xperia Z. It is believed to be very slim (much like the Xperia Z and Xperia Tablet Z) with a glass back.

However, more interesting is ‘Honami’, which is believed to be the company’s ‘One Sony’ model – offering the best Sony tech in one chassis. Honami is believed to sport a 5-inch 1080p display, dedicated Walkman audio chip (S-Master MX Digital Amplifier?) and a 20MP Cyber-shot CMOS sensor with Carl Zeiss lens.

The tester goes on to say that Honami will be one of the most attractive phones Sony has ever made, even more so than the Xperia Z and iPhone 5. Honami could also see a July release, in Asia at least. Both Honami and Togari are said to be water and dust resistant.

Honami may end up running the Snapdragon 800 chipset with 2.3GHz quad-core processor and Adreno 330 graphics says ePrice along with 2GB RAM and an embedded battery with 2700 to 3000mAh capacity. It also cites a 20MP camera sensor and says that it will come with a xenon flash and dual LED.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/04/28/sony-h2-flagship-rumour-mill-details-on-togari-and-honami/

One Sony sounds incredible.

Linius

Only just bought the Xperia Z >_<

oh well, imagine the kind of god phone they'll have in 2 years when my contract is up :p

Yeah, that's the right attitude. You know the Xperia Z will satisfy you the coming two years and then you just buy the best there is when your contract runs out. Just have to accept the fact you're always behind in this business.

Chinner

Banned
yeah it sounds great, but I'm not regretting getting a ZL at all....yet. Will probably wait for the Sony One 2 next year or something. maybe their flagships will be more clear next year?

Mario007

whats that?

Ok, it doesn't seem like anything special. Expanded color gamut. The rest is just marketing BS.
It's a Sony developed screen that will be used in their new TVs etc. What this means is that Sony is looking at producing their own screens. Oh and it's not really marketing BS. The previews from CES this year clearly said that the screens were much better when compared to regular bravia.

yeah it sounds great, but I'm not regretting getting a ZL at all....yet. Will probably wait for the Sony One 2 next year or something. maybe their flagships will be more clear next year?

Should be just one flagship from next year onwards.

vctor182

The ZL is finally here in Mexico and I'm planning to upgrade my phone. The phone looks really nice but I'm reading a lot of complains about photo quality and below average battery life. I was also burned by sony and the xperia play non existent support is it the same case with this phone?

vivftp

Glad to hear about the 2H phones from more sources! Xenon flash and dual LED has been something I have been wanting from Sony for the longest time so I hope it is true.

A thought occurs though, could someone make a dedicated rumors thread for the 2H phones so more people can be aware of this? Plus it won't clutter up the Z and ZL thread with OT posts. I would do it if I were home but I'm just typing this on my phone and don't think I could adequately do the job here.

We have been getting rumors on these phones for months now so maybe we can include those too.

Mario007

Glad to hear about the 2H phones from more sources! Xenon flash and dual LED has been something I have been wanting from Sony for the longest time so I hope it is true.

A thought occurs though, could someone make a dedicated rumors thread for the 2H phones so more people can be aware of this? Plus it won't clutter up the Z and ZL thread with OT posts. I would do it if I were home but I'm just typing this on my phone and don't think I could adequately do the job here.

We have been getting rumors on these phones for months now so maybe we can include those too.
I'd say give it some more time, when pictures of the prototype actually start appearing on the internet.

vivftp

I'd say give it some more time, when pictures of the prototype actually start appearing on the internet.

Hmm, I guess so.

Everything these rumors are saying is 100% what I want out of my next phone (minus Vita OS, lol) so even though they're still several months away from hitting North America, I'm actually quite glad I decided to wait a bit longer!

So taking into consideration these latest rumors as well as previous ones, this is what we're looking at for Honami:

-5" 1080p display with either JDI white magic display or Sharp IGZO display. Likely 2000:1 contrast
-Possibly triluminos technology to improve colour gamut to near OLED levels
-2+ GB RAM
-S800 Processor at 2.3GHz + adreno 330
-Water and dust resistant. Personally wondering if they can add a drop rating like their rugged cameras. Would be a huge selling feature I imagine.
-IR blaster
-13/16/20 MP CMOS camera sensor with a larger size - anywhere from 1/2" to 1" depending on who you talk to.
-Improved optics - possibly Carl Zeiss lens. I personally wouldn't be surprised if it looks like the Cybershot T series cameras for optics.
-Improved JPEG compression algorithms
-Xenon flash + dual LED flash
-Dedicated camera shutter key
-S-Master MX digital amplifier from Walkman series
-2700 - 3500 mAH battery, but most rumors as of late seem to indicate 3000 as the top end.
-Glass/metal body
-One of the best phone designs Sony has ever put into a smartphone

... I think I just came :)

Realling hoping Sony can manage to get the camera photo quality somewhere close to the level of the RX100 camera.

thuway

Hmm, I guess so.

Everything these rumors are saying is 100% what I want out of my next phone (minus Vita OS, lol) so even though they're still several months away from hitting North America, I'm actually quite glad I decided to wait a bit longer!

So taking into consideration these latest rumors as well as previous ones, this is what we're looking at for Honami:

-5" 1080p display with either JDI white magic display or Sharp IGZO display. Likely 2000:1 contrast
-2+ GB RAM
-Water and dust resistant. Personally wondering if they can add a drop rating like their rugged cameras. Would be a huge selling feature I imagine.
-IR blaster
-13/16/20 MP CMOS camera sensor with a larger size - anywhere from 1/2" to 1" depending on who you talk to.
-Improved optics - possibly Carl Zeiss lens. I personally wouldn't be surprised if it looks like the Cybershot T series cameras for optics.
-2700 - 3500 mAH battery, but most rumors as of late seem to indicate 3000 as the top end.
-Glass/metal body

Realling hoping Sony can manage to get the camera photo quality somewhere close to the level of the RX100 camera.

This is the phone I need.

vivftp

It most definately seems to be wishlist levels of specs, but we've been hearing this stuff from insiders for the past couple of months so let's hope it's true.

Speaking of wishlists, toss in optical image stabilization for the primary shooter, some magical ability to play my Vita games (dual boot?) and some official gamepad accessory that also doubles the battery life, and I'll sell a kidney, a testicle and any 3 toes to obtain such a device!

Kuroudu

-Water and dust resistant.

Is this possible? Isn't it the reason why Xperia Z doesn't have a camera shutter key because it is water and dust resistant? Hope they found a way to be able to add the key, it is also the reason I choose Xperia ZL.

saunderez

-Water and dust resistant.

Is this possible? Isn't it the reason why Xperia Z doesn't have a camera shutter key because it is water and dust resistant? Hope they found a way to be able to add the key, it is also the reason I choose Xperia ZL.

Why would having a button preclude it from being dust/water resistant? There are ways to create buttons that are perfectly water resistant. Marine electronics wouldn't exist otherwise.

vivftp

You would think that Kuroudu, but let me introduce you to the Xperia Acro S from 2012 which is a water resistant phone

xperia_acro_s_new_01.jpg

Kuroudu

Why would having a button preclude it from being dust/water resistant? There are ways to create buttons that are perfectly water resistant. Marine electronics wouldn't exist otherwise.

You would think that Kuroudu, but let me introduce you to the Xperia Acro S from 2012 which is a water resistant phone

Ah great! Bummer they didn't add the button on the Xperia Z. Looking forward to their "The One" phone now.

vivftp

Damn if that phone is real I may just sell my xperia t and buy this if it comes out at around $550/something reasonable off contract.

I'm not an insider by any means, but going by comments made by others here on other forums, the One Sony is going to be very expensive.

This might be why Sony is makeing other lesser variants so that those will have competitive specs to other flagships (Galaxy S4, HTC One) and the One Sony will rocket past them with its camera and audio tech. Just my random guess though but it makes sense. Not everyone is going to go for an extremely expensive phone unless it's heavily subsidized, but there is that market that wants the best of the best. One Sony might be for that market.

I've said before that my take on Sonys 2013 cell phone strategy is that the Z and ZL were rushed out the door ASAP before the other manufactuers to allow Sony to gain more marketshare. They represent some of Sonys tech, but they are by no means the best Sony has to offer. One Sony appears to be the best they have to offer, and hopefully the flagships from 2014+ will continue to build upon that trend of pushing limits. So Z and ZL were pushed to give Sony a market presence so they wouldn't be left behind while everyone else launched their shiney new gadgets. That's just my theory though.

There is also a post zomgbbqftw made months ago where he theorized that Sony was trying to gain as much market presence in Europe and Asia as they could so that they'd be in a position of power when negotiating with North American carriers who like to dick around with handsets, put their own branding on them and add their own bloatware. The carriers can delay software releases, like what we saw with AT&T and the Xperia Ion where it was delayed for months. Sony doesn't want that and the Z and ZL may have been part of the strategy to give them a more favorable position.

Kaz himself even mentioned at CES that Sony would be concentrating on solidifying Japan, Asia and Europe before making a full push for North America. I do hope that Togari and Honami are part of that push as Sony needs to start grabbing up some of Samsungs marketshare here.

vivftp

So I could drop it in the toilet and it would be alright?
Why aren't more phones like this?!

Water resistant phones have been in Japan for a long while, but only more recently have we begun to see them hit the mainstream elsewhere. While there have been other water resistant phones launched internationally, I believe the Xperia Z is the most widely distributed water resistant phone to date.

Samsung has apparently taken notice since there are rumors of them developing a ruggedized GS4. Dunno how much experience they have with such things, but Sony's been doing it for a long time now, and they're quite good at it.

BTW, just to add to my wishlist for Honami above, I wish for a removable battery as well. Whether you can remove the back or slide out the battery through a door on the bottom of the phone (camera style), I don't care. Please make it happen Sony! Especially if you're going to be putting a xenon flash on the phone, having a spare battery would be a VERY nice thing.

I'm not an insider by any means, but going by comments made by others here on other forums, the One Sony is going to be very expensive.

This might be why Sony is makeing other lesser variants so that those will have competitive specs to other flagships (Galaxy S4, HTC One) and the One Sony will rocket past them with its camera and audio tech. Just my random guess though but it makes sense. Not everyone is going to go for an extremely expensive phone unless it's heavily subsidized, but there is that market that wants the best of the best. One Sony might be for that market.

I've said before that my take on Sonys 2013 cell phone strategy is that the Z and ZL were rushed out the door ASAP before the other manufactuers to allow Sony to gain more marketshare. They represent some of Sonys tech, but they are by no means the best Sony has to offer. One Sony appears to be the best they have to offer, and hopefully the flagships from 2014+ will continue to build upon that trend of pushing limits. So Z and ZL were pushed to give Sony a market presence so they wouldn't be left behind while everyone else launched their shiney new gadgets. That's just my theory though.

There is also a post zomgbbqftw made months ago where he theorized that Sony was trying to gain as much market presence in Europe and Asia as they could so that they'd be in a position of power when negotiating with North American carriers who like to dick around with handsets, put their own branding on them and add their own bloatware. The carriers can delay software releases, like what we saw with AT&T and the Xperia Ion where it was delayed for months. Sony doesn't want that and the Z and ZL may have been part of the strategy to give them a more favorable position.

Kaz himself even mentioned at CES that Sony would be concentrating on solidifying Japan, Asia and Europe before making a full push for North America. I do hope that Togari and Honami are part of that push as Sony needs to start grabbing up some of Samsungs marketshare here.

Well ZL started out at like $750 in the US and now is around $500 on Amazon and some other places. I think they need to avoid pricing themselves out. They need to stay in the range of other major flagships which means $200-250 subsidized or $550-$650 off contract. I'd personally go as high as $650 if it was truly the best.

vivftp

Well ZL started out at like $750 in the US and now is around $500 on Amazon and some other places. I think they need to avoid pricing themselves out. They need to stay in the range of other major flagships which means $200-250 subsidized or $550-$650 off contract. I'd personally go as high as $650 if it was truly the best.

Well, just going by what I've seen posted elsewhere and please note this was like 2 months ago that this was posted. The info could be wrong to begin with or could have changed since then. At the time it was posted that One Sony might be close to $1000.

Operating purely on that assumption that's where I made up my theory above that the One Sony will be meant to be a device that is clear and above all other smartphones. It's also been rumored that Sony will have another high end phone using S800 other than the phablet, but no specs are known about it. If this is true then I suppose it's plausible that this mystery device will be something more in line with flagships from other companies, and the One Sony will be seen as a flagship device to show off Sonys technological prowess.

But hey, anyone more knowledgable about this subject please feel free to bitchslap down my theories. Just wild speculation based on the shreds we've heard so far anyways.

has anyone else found out that you can drag those small apps to the right or bottom of the screen and they become little tabs. I found it kinda cool and by accident.

vivftp

Here's a video comparing the Z to the HTC One and Galaxy S4 for night time video shooting. IMO the Sony easily holds its own for white balance and for doing far less auto focusing than the others. It is a bit noiser at times though, but it also captures more information in areas where the others only capture blackness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlx4_qlB6vA

Well, just going by what I've seen posted elsewhere and please note this was like 2 months ago that this was posted. The info could be wrong to begin with or could have changed since then. At the time it was posted that One Sony might be close to $1000.

Operating purely on that assumption that's where I made up my theory above that the One Sony will be meant to be a device that is clear and above all other smartphones. It's also been rumored that Sony will have another high end phone using S800 other than the phablet, but no specs are known about it. If this is true then I suppose it's plausible that this mystery device will be something more in line with flagships from other companies, and the One Sony will be seen as a flagship device to show off Sonys technological prowess.

But hey, anyone more knowledgable about this subject please feel free to bitchslap down my theories. Just wild speculation based on the shreds we've heard so far anyways.

Damn that's gotta be some misinformation. Only way Sony could get people in the US to buy a phone that expensive would be maybe if it was like original iphone levels of hype and had like an 8 core S800 along with some really great looking exclusive software. $1000 is just bonkers.

Mario007

Hmm, I guess so.

-2+ GB RAM
-IR blaster
-Glass/metal body

From what I've read up there's absolutely a chance the display won't be JDI or Sharp but actually Sony manufactured. That would be the way to get Triluminos on it, as only Sony are working with the technology.

Also remember this will be the first S800 device, going by the rumors, making this the first time Sony will have a bleeding edge SoC in their phone. From what I've read there's talks of special Qualcom processors in Xperia 2014 flagship, one that no other OEM will have.

Also Sony won't sell this camera to competitors, so the only way to get that sensor will be One Sony.

Lastly, I've read conflicting things on the design, zomg has mentioned glass/metal body, whereas over at esato, it was mentioned that the One Sony will be made out of carbon fiber and glass, I think, like Vaio Z.

That other phone is, I think, Ray 3 but that is rumored to be pushed back to early 2014 and it'll be Japan first, rest of the world second. I think they can launch this and price themselves at iPhone price levels and it'll be fine. People bitch about Xperia Z being expensive but it costs the same as Galaxy SIV or HTC One, only difference is that Sony never made a phone a like this so all their previous flagships were cheaper.

That might not happen, SMC just changed a bunch of their security protocols with regard to prototype loaning and letting beta units out of the main Tokyo/Lund offices.

Sounds like a wishlist. Hehe

Indeed. I would be surprised if even a third of that list made it into the final device.

It's not going to be $1000, it will replace ZL at the same price point, no higher than that. The phablet will be more expensive and go into new pricing territory though, possibly $799 offline and $299 on a two year deal with AT&T.

From what I've read up there's absolutely a chance the display won't be JDI or Sharp but actually Sony manufactured. That would be the way to get Triluminos on it, as only Sony are working with the technology.

Also remember this will be the first S800 device, going by the rumors, making this the first time Sony will have a bleeding edge SoC in their phone. From what I've read there's talks of special Qualcom processors in Xperia 2014 flagship, one that no other OEM will have.

Also Sony won't sell this camera to competitors, so the only way to get that sensor will be One Sony.

Lastly, I've read conflicting things on the design, zomg has mentioned glass/metal body, whereas over at esato, it was mentioned that the One Sony will be made out of carbon fiber and glass, I think, like Vaio Z.

That other phone is, I think, Ray 3 but that is rumored to be pushed back to early 2014 and it'll be Japan first, rest of the world second. I think they can launch this and price themselves at iPhone price levels and it'll be fine. People bitch about Xperia Z being expensive but it costs the same as Galaxy SIV or HTC One, only difference is that Sony never made a phone a like this so all their previous flagships were cheaper.

Very, very unlikely that Sony are manufacturing it (impossible I think) because they don't have any mobile display assets left, they just handed over the last of them to JDI on April 1st 2013 as part of the deal with the Japanese government. Also if they needed to make the screens in house for TriLuminous then the 55/65" TVs would be inhouse, but they aren't the panels are constructed by AUO, again because Sony don't have any large screen LCD panel construction assets, just sold them (at a huge loss) to Samsung. The only panels Sony produce inhouse is OLED from 7" to 30" and those are limited to around 10k per month because of the expense and lack of scalability of the process. But they do good business on the professional side with those. The 25" TriMaster EL OLED has already sold through its first production run despite being over $20k. I had heard that they made a breakthrough recently with the scaling of the OLED pilot line but nothing since then, but again, that could just be related to the production of a 30" OLED monitor on the same process which was limited to 25" previously.

I would highly doubt Qualcomm are working with Sony on a special architecture/processor. It's not how they operate. Unless Sony dumped a truckload of cash (which they don't have) at Qualcomm's San Diego office it seems highly unlikely that they would make an exclusive chip for a smaller player and deny it to the market leader. Doesn't make a lick of sense.

Sony are going for a metal and glass build for the phablet and H2 flagship (I refuse to use that idiotic "One Sony" fanboy name, it's just ridiculous), a step up from the Xperia Z which used plastic and glass. Carbon fibre is too brittle to be in phones if one were to drop a carbon fibre phone it could smash into a million pieces.

"Ray 3" hasn't been delayed and it is a Japan only device like its predecessor (Xperia SX) you are talking about a different phone which is due in H1 2014. "Ray 3" is supposedly out this year in Japan with decidedly mid-range specs but a very, very small footprint, smaller than iPhone 5.

more like 850-1000

I think this misconception comes from people seeing the UK/EU pricing and then doing a straight conversion to USD without accounting for the tax differences because that's the third time I have seen it mentioned, and there is just no way Sony release the world's most expensive phone. They have been trying to shake that "expensive" reputation for the better part of 5 years and releasing a phone over $300 more than the competitor (GS4) is just not going to happen. $759 at Sony's own outlets, and $599 at discount/online retailers. That's the other big deal, Sony are in talks with big box retailers in the US to carry the phone unlocked and off contract.

Mokubba

The look I gave my Xperia Z after seeing the Honami specs lol.

Nah I'm happy with my Z but that does sound like a dream phone all around. I'll be suprised if all those features make it into the phone, especially with how the Xperia SP missing HDR for some reason, but then again it isn't a flagship.

Kadux

Neo Member
Rooted my Xperia Z but don't know where to go from there.

Don't understand a thing about flashing roms and recovery and all that stuff. I just want to use a launcher i saw on xda once: It was very minimal, tile-styled but without the colors (just grey); use some apps to underpower the phone when it's not doing anything, remove bloatware, put some stuff on the lockscreen and change the status bar to black.

Right now seems very dificult to do all this and aparently I'll have to re-root the phone after unlocking the bootloader. I don't even know where to start!

If you're unlocking your bootloader BE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR DRM KEYS! If you don't do that, you will never again have Bravia Engine.

Honestly i dont see point in unlocking bootloader since stock rom of XZ is fantastic so far, and I'm coming from iphone.

Top Bottom