• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

vivftp

so at what size does it make sense?

At a size where many or most people would find it uncomfortable to hold the phone up to their head.

Of course it's an optional accessory so for those who want a smaller handset there you go and for those who don't mind a big phone to their head they can just use it as is.

BTW, the Sony Paris event should be occuring right now. I wonder what it's all about. I'd LOVE to see Honami presented, but I doubt it will happen :(

BTW, the Sony Paris event should be occuring right now. I wonder what it's all about. I'd LOVE to see Honami presented, but I doubt it will happen :(

Pretty sure it's just a hands on with Z Ultra for European journalists that didn't make it to the London hands on when it was revealed.

vivftp

Pretty sure it's just a hands on with Z Ultra for European journalists that didn't make it to the London hands on when it was revealed.

Entirely possible and likely. Still, may are hoping for more ;)

The time on the invite would have indicated this event started 40 minutes ago. Not a single peep has made it onto the internet about it, so maybe it is a closed door session

Entirely possible and likely. Still, may are hoping for more ;)

The time on the invite would have indicated this event started 40 minutes ago. Not a single peep has made it onto the internet about it, so maybe it is a closed door session

No it's not a closed door event, it will just take a while for people to write up impressions. I think the presentation is identical as well to the one given in Shanghai, but this is for EU journalists who didn't go to Shanghai.

I would be surprised if anything other than the Z Ultra and Smart Watch 2 were shown in Paris.

It's possible that i1 will get a small mention but it will just be talked about as a concept for the future, "we're working on integrating our highest level of digital imaging" or something like that.

vivftp

Cool. Going to bed, lol

Hopefully we see Honami next month. IFA is just about 2 months away and I would hope it's unveiled there at the latest.

Mokubba

Looks like I'm going to have to flash the phone. I didn't get the last update but this one takes the biscuit. All the other branded carriers are getting theirs but we get left out in the cold.

Are their any good tutorials to follow? The last thing I flashed was a PSP.

Detox

I used this, download the ftf file and follow the instructions here. If you want to keep your apps etc make sure you untick DATA and CACHE under WIPE in flashtool.

Anth1888

I'm in the same boat. I'm new to Android and never flashed a FTF file before. I've had a look at the tutorial but I'm still apprehensive whether to do it or not (if I encounter any problems). Don't know why Sony aren't pushing out Generic UK.

Hello, Just got the xperia Z. I switched from WP8 to this and the new environment is a bit confusing for me.

I have a question. I currently don't have an external SD card plugged in. I tried to save a picture from skydrive to my phone for lockscreen wallpaper. I can't seem to find where it was saved at in Albums.... Do I have to have an SD card to save pictures onto my phone or I need to do some kind of setting? I would just assume that if I save a picture, it'll be contained in "saved pictures" or something like that. Please help. Thank you ^__^;;

Also when I used chat apps like whatsapp, I used to be able to have skydrive as an option for attachments in wp8, is there a way I can set it up to have similar option in Android as well or is that more of an WP8 exclusive thing?

tzare

just download any file explorer like es file explorer and search into skydrive/downloads folder in sdcard ( this is how android considers internal storage, when you insert an external sdcard it will appear as extsdcard or sdcard1)
ogovloT.png

Hello, Just got the xperia Z. I switched from WP8 to this and the new environment is a bit confusing for me.

I have a question. I currently don't have an external SD card plugged in. I tried to save a picture from skydrive to my phone for lockscreen wallpaper. I can't seem to find where it was saved at in Albums.... Do I have to have an SD card to save pictures onto my phone or I need to do some kind of setting? I would just assume that if I save a picture, it'll be contained in "saved pictures" or something like that. Please help. Thank you ^__^;;

Also when I used chat apps like whatsapp, I used to be able to have skydrive as an option for attachments in wp8, is there a way I can set it up to have similar option in Android as well or is that more of an WP8 exclusive thing?

Danj

I would guess that you'd need to have the actual SkyDrive app installed for this?

just download any file explorer like es file explorer and search into skydrive/downloads folder in sdcard ( this is how android considers internal storage, when you insert an external sdcard it will appear as extsdcard or sdcard1)
http://i.imgur.com/ogovloT.png[img][/QUOTE]

I see. So there's not really a way to access via the "Album" app?

edit: ok. I just tried using the es explorer, I can see my picture in Sdcard>SkyDrive>Downloads. I opened it via gallery, but when I go up one level from gallery, I can't find my picture anymore.... where did it go and why doesn't it appear in gallery?

[quote="Danj, post: 68933066"]I would guess that you'd need to have the actual [url=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.skydrive&hl=en]SkyDrive app[/url] installed for this?[/QUOTE]

I have it installed. While I'm in whatsapp, when I click the attachment option/ pictures, it would only show stuff from my "Gallery". If I were to go into the skydrive app, I can see that it can send a file to whatsapp. Is that the only way?

kehs

Banned
I have it installed. While I'm in whatsapp, when I click the attachment option/ pictures, it would only show stuff from my "Gallery". If I were to go into the skydrive app, I can see that it can send a file to whatsapp. Is that the only way?

Try resetting the "default app" settings for gallery. You might have make it set it to "always" accidentally.

e: just reread that problem. If the skydrive app doesnt provide itself as a picture provider, you're going to have to do it skydrive -> whats app.

tzare

I see. So there's not really a way to access via the "Album" app?
From the album app, if it is the same as in my T , you should have two tabs at the top, choose my albums, the one on the right, then you should see internal memory thumbnail, choose it and just browse into the skydrive folder. You can share picture from there. If you choose to share from whatsapp, if using sony's own album, unless other app installed, you will have ALL pictures in your phone available but not from folders but ordered by date.

From the album app, if it is the same as in my T , you should have two tabs at the top, choose my albums, the one on the right, then you should see internal memory thumbnail, choose it and just browse into the skydrive folder. You can share picture from there. If you choose to share from whatsapp, if using sony's own album, unless other app installed, you will have ALL pictures in your phone available but not from folders but ordered by date.

This is what I have in my album thingy:

JTFKjXU.png

When I click into either my albums or pictures, it doesn't show the picture I've downloaded. Also I tried clicking in internal memory as well. If it helps, if I open the picture with the ES picture viewer, it's in "/storage/emulated/0/skydrive/downloads"

Try resetting the "default app" settings for gallery. You might have make it set it to "always" accidentally.

e: just reread that problem. If the skydrive app doesnt provide itself as a picture provider, you're going to have to do it skydrive -> whats app.

I see... I guess for that I'll have to work backwards from what I was used to in WP8 then. Thanks for the help.

tzare

Just checked it myself downloading a pic from skydrive and yes, you are right, i does not show in the sony album app, and it doesn't show in the stock android gallery either, so maybe skydrive app hides files somehow? Will check if a .nomedia file is inside the skydrive folder

Just checked it myself downloading a pic from skydrive and yes, you are right, i does not show in the sony album app, and it doesn't show in the stock android gallery either, so maybe skydrive app hides files somehow? Will check if a .nomedia file is inside the skydrive folder

Cool, let me know if you figure it out. I'll be back later, it's almost 5am here and I need to get to bed and go to work in the morning lol! Thanks for your help thus far!

tzare

Well, i tried and uploaded the same picture to box drive and skydrive and then dwld'd it again to my T and did the same with my note 8. The files downloaded from box and drive appeared almost instantly in the album app, both stock and sony/samsung ones. Skydrive one however, didn't appear... Not as fast, it took a while but finally showed in all album apps on both devices. I just do not why it takes longer. So, try it, give it a few minutes and check it.

Proof:
jIVuTJT.png

OK! figured out my problem. apparently the phone won't let you save pics and stuff directly onto the phone's internal memory. so it locks it in some placeholder and kept invisible until you insert a memory card. Mystery solved for me hahaha!

spwolf

At a size where many or most people would find it uncomfortable to hold the phone up to their head.

Of course it's an optional accessory so for those who want a smaller handset there you go and for those who don't mind a big phone to their head they can just use it as is.

going back to the size, 6.4" might be perfect for small tablet... I find my SGSII limiting when i have to type a lot (for quick work), and using Tab 2 7" was much much nicer...

of course, bluetooth handset would be a must at that point, which i dont mind as i find it very cool.

question is for how much money, as I would rather get Vaio Pro Duo 13" for a little bit more :)

commissar

So I'm having some apps briefly freeze up and the system as a whole is less responsive. There's even lag when switching across home screens.

4.2.2 fucking sucks :[

Omlagus

Just got an OTA notification that the new firmware is available (for Rogers phones) Hoping I don't brick my phone :/

Really?? :/ I haven't got anything and connecting to pc companion says there's nothing new.

When you update let me know if this is the 4.2.2 update. I know Bell just rolled that out but I will be amazed if Rogers is that efficient.

1/2.3" f2.2 28mm 20.4MP effective

V.high certainty. Source is from SDI who make the sensor modules.

Sorry guys, looks like my original sources were right on this one, the 1/1.5" prototype either didn't exist or it was not chosen for mass production.

It's still a relatively large sensor, but it won't compete with the top digital compacts or the 808. It also explains why the pictures had a little noise in them at ISO160 in the samples I saw.

vivftp

This news makes me a very sad panda, zomg :(

Those on esato seem all but convinced it's a 2/3" sensor. Any chances there are more than 1 model? Or are you able to confirm the sensor you're talking about will be in Honami?

This news makes me a very sad panda, zomg :(

Those on esato seem all but convinced it's a 2/3" sensor. Any chances there are more than 1 model? Or are you able to confirm the sensor you're talking about will be in Honami?

The sensor module will be used for the i1, ZL style i1 and i1 mini according to my source.

I am almost 100% certain that it is 1/2.3", the source is in SDI who make the sensors.

vivftp

The sensor module will be used for the i1, ZL style i1 and i1 mini according to my source.

I am almost 100% certain that it is 1/2.3", the source is in SDI who make the sensors.

Well, if accurate I suppose it does explain away the mystery of how Sony would plan to put such a large sensor in a phone as relatively thin as Honami. Still a larger sensor than your typical smartphone. I wonder how it'll perform with all the additions like the new JPEG algorithm and BIONZ processor.

BTW zomg, esato forums seem to believe the xenon flash is going to be in... your sources saying anything?

I do wonder if that 2/3" sensor does actually exist, and if it does what it'll be used for. Maybe the 2014 flagship?

Well, if accurate I suppose it does explain away the mystery of how Sony would plan to put such a large sensor in a phone as relatively thin as Honami. Still a larger sensor than your typical smartphone. I wonder how it'll perform with all the additions like the new JPEG algorithm and BIONZ processor.

BTW zomg, esato forums seem to believe the xenon flash is going to be in... your sources saying anything?

I do wonder if that 2/3" sensor does actually exist, and if it does what it'll be used for. Maybe the 2014 flagship?

Well BIONZ for mobile is a software based engine that runs in a virtual machine on Krait based architecture. The VM starts when the camera app is opened and it will only be accessible by the Cyber-shot app. Afaik it is not really a processor, but software pretending to be a processor.

I don't know anything about a possible Xenon flash, if I were to take a guess, I would guess no because Sony haven't used Xenon since the C series and Satio which is four years and a different company ago. I think dual LED is what we will get.

As for the sensor, well Sony make a 2/3" sensor already for other camera companies, no 20MP one as has been rumoured, they tend to only go for high MP count in the smaller sensor cameras for whatever reason.

vivftp

Thanks.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed. Was really hoping for Honami and the Lumia 1020 to have an epic battle of cameras. I suppose it's still possible for Honami to give it a run for its money, but having a much smaller sensor will make it harder.

Edit

Sensor size comparison

sensor.png

Thanks.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed. Was really hoping for Honami and the Lumia 1020 to have an epic battle of cameras. I suppose it's still possible for Honami to give it a run for its money, but having a much smaller sensor will make it harder.

It should still be pretty good. Probably the best bar 1020/808, but it will run a desirable OS so as a phone it will be 1000x better than any Nokia. If someone wants to get a decent camera with a large sensor then they should just look at the RX100, I have one and it's awesome.

It will still be the largest sensor in any Android phone, including the Galaxy camera and S4 Zoom (but they are more camera than phone). That's still an achievement. Really the disappointment comes because expectations were not kept in check. I played my part in that and I apologise for it, I was mislead by a source on the prototype, at this stage I can't even confirm if it ever even existed with any of my other sources.

I think what should have been the giveaway is that it's not possible for such a large sensor to be in a phone that is less than 10mm, the sensor+lens alone comes to 12-13mm for such a large sensor size. The other part of it is that Sony don't like bumpy phones any more. i1 is going to be omnibalance like the Z which means it can't have a bump. So 1/2.3" makes sense, largest Android device sensor, G optics, stabilisation and manual controls with a whole new JPEG engine. Should be great for ISO100-400.

vivftp

I agree that hanging around rumor threads too much can wind up getting your hopes too high and you set yourself up for disappointment when the reality is shown.

Either way, you're correct that the camera should be fracking amazing and make it an amazingly well rounded device. I wonder if it'll still be a BSI sensor or not though to help with those low light situations.

With the camera more or less known now, it seems that we have a pretty decent picture of what to expect with Honami. The only other part that esato forums is unsure of is the IR blaster. The leaked system dump apparently didn't mention it, so sadly it appears it might not be in.

EDIT.

BTW zomg, talking about the stabilization do you know which type of stabilization tech it'll be?

Stabilisation is Supersteady Shot, so whatever that means.

That's why it's better not to hang on every word in rumour threads, at least you should go in with the attitude that everything in them is probably wrong. Even I get stuff wrong from time to time, though I try not to, obviously!

Not sue about IR, haven't heard anything either way. I would guess not though, wasn't on the Z so probably won't be on i1.

It is Exmor R according to my source, so it should be good in medium light, but with the small sensor it will be terrible in darkness without a xenon flash to give good illumination.

spwolf

Stabilisation is Supersteady Shot, so whatever that means.

That's why it's better not to hang on every word in rumour threads, at least you should go in with the attitude that everything in them is probably wrong. Even I get stuff wrong from time to time, though I try not to, obviously!

Not sue about IR, haven't heard anything either way. I would guess not though, wasn't on the Z so probably won't be on i1.

It is Exmor R according to my source, so it should be good in medium light, but with the small sensor it will be terrible in darkness without a xenon flash to give good illumination.

as long as it is as good as normal point and shot, thats fine... right now, i am disappointed in all of them.

Galaxy Camera and Nokia all seem fine, but i dont really get a point if you have to compromise on anything, and you do.

I think I am pretty much set on Ultra + Handset myself... i got convinced when i used Tab2 7 to do some quick network setup and how much more useful it was than my 4.3" phone... Plus I could watch movies/shows on it, all I do on my ipad anyway, and since it is 16:9 device, it should be a plenty of space or rather, all the space will be fully used for media, unlike ipad where half of the screen is black... so kind of seems like 6.4" will be OK for that as well.

Still not sure though about this convergence of devices... you end up having even more devices at the end.

I was also planning to get Vaio Pro Duo possibly, as that seemed perfect for both work and media at the same time... but if I have 6.4" phone, why would i need 13" tablet for media?

So maybe:

- Ultra Z + Handset + Vaio Pro 13.3" (or other ultrabook with i7, whatever is rated the best at the time, right now Elitebook was fine but not as good as reviews say)

or

- Honami or XZ or S4/Iphone6 - 4.5"-5" phone + Vaio Pro Duo 13.3"

Tough choices... Smaller phone + convertible laptop OR larger phone/tablet + small bluetooth handset + larger laptop. Price should be about the same.

Arondight

I'm also quite disappointed with the sensor size. I wish sony went with a slightly thicker phone to pack it in, because its only like a few millimetres and I feel that a lot of companies out there have this abnormal obsession with incredibly thin devices or machines when they could do so much more with slightly thicker bodies/chassis. It really seems that nokia is going to go unbeaten in the camera tech department this year which is quite a shame since I really wanted to see a incredibly close competition as well unless sony manages to do something miraculous. Most of the photos I take are indoor or at night and want a smartphone camera capable of doing so. Still though, I'm still quite impressed with the thickness and slightly disappointing sensor size packed in with the other specs while remaining balanced because one thing I truly despise is camera bumps to make it thinner. It's incredibly unappealing and a little deceiving.

Slightly change in topic but is there any information about the how resistant the rumoured honami might be to impact, shock or anything else or based on the z ans z ultra, what could be predicted. Also, I heard that sony doesn't use gorilla glass but dragon tail but I seriously can't even find much information about it and how it even fares with gg3. In fact, sony is the only company I know of to use it I'm not sure if dragon tail glass really is just me accidentally reading something wrong .

I'm also a little surprised they're going with 16 GB. As a rumoured flagship and sony as a content creator, I find it a little strange it's not higher because content is getting much larger.For my Phone, I'm barely got spaced left in my 32GB and for my ipad 64GB, it's even worse. Nice to have a microsd option though but I think companies need to raise the bar. 32 GB to me should be baseline.

Why is T mobile the only carrier?

Looking for a phone to buy and i don't like buying things the entire population has so the Z is perfect for me. :)

Any buying tips?

spwolf

I

I'm also a little surprised they're going with 16 GB. As a rumoured flagship and sony as a content creator, I find it a little strange it's not higher because content is getting much larger.For my Phone, I'm barely got spaced left in my 32GB and for my ipad 64GB, it's even worse. Nice to have a microsd option though but I think companies need to raise the bar. 32 GB to me should be baseline.

why would you want it to be more expensive when you can buy bunch of microSD cards? They support up to 64 GB cards.

Hung Wei Lo

Really?? :/ I haven't got anything and connecting to pc companion says there's nothing new.

When you update let me know if this is the 4.2.2 update. I know Bell just rolled that out but I will be amazed if Rogers is that efficient.

Yup - 4.2.2 - build 10.3.A.0.423. I'm in the Greater Toronto Area, if that makes a difference. It also dawned upon me that this was originally a Bell device, which I got unlocked so I don't know if that affects anything

Omlagus

Yup - 4.2.2 - build 10.3.A.0.423. I'm in the Greater Toronto Area, if that makes a difference. It also dawned upon me that this was originally a Bell device, which I got unlocked so I don't know if that affects anything

That's probably why. And for a second there I was thinking Rogers was on the ball with something. How foolish of me. :p

GQman2121

Banned
Just got the Z this afternoon. I'm wondering if there are any suggestions about higher res icons for the dock out there. The ones I was using on my previous phone are way to small for this screen. They look terrible.

Linius

Just got the Z this afternoon. I'm wondering if there are any suggestions about higher res icons for the dock out there. The ones I was using on my previous phone are way to small for this screen. They look terrible.

I use the Metro Station pack. I love that one and it's free :p

Wubby

So possibly a clip on sensor/camera mount coming for the Honami?

Sony Alpha Rumors is saying this is coming from two confirmed sources so its rated SR5 legit.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-...etic-mount-for-nex-lenses-and-a-curious-lens/

….two trusted sources told me this is a lens with built-in sensor, battery and memory!!! And the “lens-camera” transmits the images via NFC and WiFi to the smartphone/tablet! You can mount it on the smartphone but also use it separately!!! You will see the live view images on your mobile device. This isn’t Start Trek or James Bond imagination…this is an SR5 confirmed rumor coming via our Top Sources!

This is a complete new kind of photography and probably the smallest camera ever made on a large sensor. I have been told the first lens to be released soon will feature the same RX100MII sensor and same Zeiss lens!!! And there will be a second model with smaller sensor and larger zoom.

The RX100MII sensor is 1" in size. Not very pocket-able and most assuredly not bundled with the phone I would bet. But still interesting none the less. I worry about battery life using this but considering it supposedly has it's own built in battery it may not be so bad, better than built in camera even perhaps.

spwolf

in that case, "lens" is fully functional camera that can be mounted on a phone.

Wifi looks like feature from their Action cam.

Keylow415

picked up my Xperia Z today. really liking it so far. its really a beautiful phone but they didn't have the purple one. o well. and how do you put wallpaper on your lock screen without cropping the photo?

Renoir

Just got this today,and I have a quick question. how do I get my Google voice to make calls.it keep saying it cannot dial.but it dials fine with my provider given #.
some one enlighten me.

GQman2121

Banned
What the hell is up with the ring volume on this thing? It's so low. Notifications too. Is something wrong with my phone is this a known issue? Please help......

Top Bottom