• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Got my self an unlock Xperia Z directly from Sony. Still have the gray bars how can I do the update to get the black bar and better camera performance?

Chinner

Banned
can somebody help me save my phone?

i was updating to 4.2.2, when windows 8 (which is a glorified bag of shit) crashed. now, my phone powers up to the sony screen but nothing more. is there any way i can fix this?

Akira

Got my self an unlock Xperia Z directly from Sony. Still have the gray bars how can I do the update to get the black bar and better camera performance?

Wait for the 4.2.2 update that's coming within the next week or so. It's supposedly got transparent bar (even better than 100% black bars!) and better performance. Other than widgets I don't know what else 4.2.2 brings to the table, to be honest.

Chinner

Banned
yeah that's what i'm on, i've got all the new features but its still black. probably because it got bricked halfway through the update

or is it ause im using apex launcher?

yeah that's what i'm on, i've got all the new features but its still black. probably because it got bricked halfway through the update

or is it ause im using apex launcher?

Could be Apex because that defaults to black in all screens rather than transparent. Try and revert back to Xperia Home.

Behold. Xperia Z Ultra:

6MC4hBi.jpg

Quick run through of the specs again:

6.4" 1080p AH-IPS LCD screen with QLED
Snapdragon 800 2.2GHz
8MP camera Exmor RS with dedicated shutter button
IP55/58 certification
2GB RAM
16GB storage + microSD slot (with native exFAT support)
2970mAh battery
Pressure sensitive input with any device that has a point (like a pencil, as seen in the picture)
~6.5mm thickness

I would have preferred more thickness and a bigger battery. I think the QLED will help though because blue LEDs are less power hungry than white ones.

Mario007

Behold. Xperia Z Ultra:

6MC4hBi.jpg

Quick run through of the specs again:

6.4" 1080p AH-IPS LCD screen with QLED
Snapdragon 800 2.2GHz
8MP camera Exmor RS with dedicated shutter button
IP55/58 certification
2GB RAM
16GB storage + microSD slot (with native exFAT support)
2970mAh battery
Pressure sensitive input with any device that has a point (like a pencil, as seen in the picture)
~6.5mm thickness

I would have preferred more thickness and a bigger battery. I think the QLED will help though because blue LEDs are less power hungry than white ones.
That 'write with you pencil or pen' thing is gonna be a really nice gimmick. Wonder how much Sony will push it but at least they're not recognising that Z is a brand.

lilltias

why are everyone so horny after 4.2.2? Is it going to be a life changing update with ultra cool new features? Unless it's going to make my battery last longer on my Z then I am in no hurry to get it. Battery life is really bad when using chrome, for example. Burns it through in a few hours =/

tzare

good news about 4.2 hitting Z, now i wonder how long will it take to be available for my T and other phones like SP

burnfout

why are everyone so horny after 4.2.2? Is it going to be a life changing update with ultra cool new features? Unless it's going to make my battery last longer on my Z then I am in no hurry to get it. Battery life is really bad when using chrome, for example. Burns it through in a few hours =/

Stop using chrome. Use Dolphin instead.

tzare

btw, i wonder how will stylus work compared to Note series on Z Ultra. I hope it is good and makes it a real competitor for samsung devices

lilltias

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Trying dolphin right now and I gotta say that it looks and feels pretty good. Much smoother scrolling than Chrome!

noobie

Banned
What are the views on Triluminous Display in new Xperia Z-Ultra.? better.? much better. or same technology in new brand?

noobie

Banned
Triluminous is new tech (QLED) for mobiles, it will make the colours on Z Ultra appreciably better. X-Reality is just a rebrand of Bravia Engine, bringing it in line with the current TV branding.

Have you personally seen it in action.? any improvement in viewing angle?

Mokubba

Honami aka the 'One' Sony phone. It very much exists, but those are only fan renders and rumors you've posted

Thank God, that's only a render.

4.2.2 is apparently officially rolling out for the Z (according to XDA)

We'll see how long it takes for us to get it in the UK
Z Ultra now official.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/25/sony-xperia-z-ultra/

Update the OT! Z/ZL/ZR/Z Ultra. :D

Year of the Z but good lord that thing is massive. I need to see it in person because I thought my Z even though its the perfect size was a little big.

gsmarena_0000.jpg

spwolf

MgSGYVW.jpg

very nice viewing angles for those that care about that...

looks pretty nice, gotta see it in real life to see if it is usable as a phone, but in general, i find my tab 2 7a lot more usable for everything than my SGSII... except that Android tab's software sucks... this could be perfect.

Detox

Would I be able to flash my FW to 4.2.2 if I'm on a pay monthly contract? O2 are doing fuck all to send out updates

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Honami supposedly in the middle, but it looks like the Z:

xperia_i1_xperia_z_ultra.jpg

We've heard a good deal about the Sony "Honami" already — an upcoming camera-centric Sony smartphone said to pack a 20-megapixel Cyber-Shot camera and re-vamped camera software. The name "Xperia i1" has also been thrown around in reference to the device, which sources have told us is due to make an appearance sometime in Q3.

Today we could be getting our first look at the "Honami" — or Xperia i1 — courtesy of Brazilian site Techtudo. The outlet has snapped a couple of images of what it says is the Xperia i1, complete with 20-megapixel rear camera. The hardware shown seems to employ Sony's "Omnibalance" design language — note the trademark trim design and rounded power button — while not matching any Sony phones we're familiar with.

For scale, the phone in question is shown alongside the Xperia ZQ (the Brazilian name for the Xperia ZL) and the recently-announced Xperia Z Ultra. Given the relative sizes of those phones — the ZL/ZQ is a 5-inch model, the Z Ultra a 6.44-incher — we're likely looking at a five-point-something-inch screen on the new device. Techtudo said the hardware they handled was non-final, but had an "impressive quality" camera, and a thin, glass-backed design. The device was running Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, "with no crashes" the site added.

With the recent announcement of the Xperia Z Ultra, and the Xperia i1 possibly looming on the horizon, we could be seeing a more adventurous Sony Mobile product line-up as we enter the second half of 2013. Anyone tempted by a 20-megapixel smartphone camera? Shout out in the comments!

Top Bottom