• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Honami supposedly in the middle, but it looks like the Z:

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w680h550/postimages/108579/xperia_i1_xperia_z_ultra.jpg[ /IMG][/QUOTE]

Def not Z. Camera in the wrong place, has a metal looking edge and an IR blaster like the Japanese Z.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Honami on the loose!

Sony-Honami_2-640x359.jpg

Sony-Honami_3-640x359.jpg

Sony-Honami_4-640x359.jpg

Sony-Honami_5-640x359.jpg

Sony-Honami_6-640x359.jpg

Sony-Honami_1.jpg

We recently saw the first purported image of the Sony H2 flagship device, codenamed Honami. Well some more live pictures of the handset have been leaked. The rear of the handset looks similar to the leak we saw earlier this week with an infra-red sensor sitting next to the camera lens and LED flash. The handset looks very similar to the Xperia Z but with a metal (aluminium?) frame instead of glass fibre polyamide and what looks like a speaker grill at the bottom.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/06/27/sony-honami-flagship-pictures-leak/

Other features we noticed is some dock pins that are very similar to those seen on the Xperia Z Ultra. Perhaps Honami will also be compatible with the DK30 magnetic charging dock that we reported on earlier? The 3.5mm headphone jack sits at the top, with a flap for the microSD memory card slot on the side and a dedicated camera button. There also appears to be holes for a lanyard towards the bottom right of the handset. Honami is rumoured to sport a 20MP camera sensor as well as the Snapdragon 800 chipset with 2.2GHz quad-core processor and Adreno 330 graphics. We’ll bring you more news on Honami as we have it.

vivftp

There seems to be a lot of mystery about the back of this phone. Members on esato who claim to have seem this device (I don't think they can even confirm if it is in fact Honami) say they were not allowed to see the back. Now we get pics and the back is covered by a case.

I REALLY hope we get answers at the July 4th event, but something tells me we might have to wait as long as IFA for official info :(

Anyways, yeah so is this Honami? The Xperia Z revision? A random prototype that'll never come out? Very excited to see where this leads us!

spwolf

probably because g-lens written somewhere or something like that...

... so is that thin bezel? I would call it no-bezel... looks awesome.

Danj

Still no update for me :( I take it that UK carrier-locked phones haven't been updated yet? I'm on Three, just checked with PC Companion and it says no updates.

Still no update for me :( I take it that UK carrier-locked phones haven't been updated yet? I'm on Three, just checked with PC Companion and it says no updates.

Three should have hit out by the end of the coming week, but if you are desperate just flash the generic NL, it doesn't void your warranty, but you will lose the stock browser and be stuck with Chrome. Vodafone have it out already. O2 don't even have the .253 out, useless bunch of idiots.

vivftp

Hi Zomg. It's been a while since I posted a rumored list of specs for Honami so I was wondering if I could get your thoughts based on what you've heard. All this info has been cobbled together by sources from esato and XDA

S800 processor at 2.2 - 2.3 GHz
Adreno 330 graphics
2GB RAM
16/32 GB internal memory with mico SD expansion
5" 1080p dislpay with triluminos tech. Supposedly with constrast ratio above 2000:1
X-reality engine
20MP 2/3" Exmor RS sensor, Sony G lens, mobile BIONZ processor and clip-on lenses
Camera shutter button
Camera has steadyshot tech, and can go up to ISO 12800
3000 mAh battery
Metal + glass body
NFC and LTE
IP58 dust/water resistance + shock resistance rating
Approx 9-10mm thick
Stereo speakers
S-Master MX audio
IR blaster
Headphone port that does not require flap
Magnetic charging dock connector
Lanyard hole

Given what we've seen in leaked photos and from the Z Ultra, most of that doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. The only question is whether it will all come together in a single phone with Honami. Any thoughts?

EDIT.

BTW, anyone know the name of the tech being used in Z Ultra to allow metallic stylus input?

Still hopeful we'll see xenon flash on Honami and in fact the site that originally leaked the pics above did claim it would have xenon instead of just LED as was pictured so I'm holding out hope.

vivftp

Ben Ling at XDA was apparently going through a system dump from Honami and found a picture he belives may be a front of shot of Honami itself. For the sake of perspective I did a comparison between it, the Z and the ZL based on the assumption the screens were the same size.

So here's possibly Honami, the Z and the ZL

Xperia_i1_Honami.jpg

Akira

Wait, now shows up for me. Honami has a huge footprint in comparison to the Z/ZL. The screen aspect ratio seems taller like the iPhone 5.

Mokubba

I like it. The front looks really clean. I love the way the earpiece blends in and I can't see the mic at all and it has a camera button.

That bezel though. It better come with a huge battery.

Yeah that looks about right. It's way too big for me. ZL is the perfect size IMO.

Can't really say anything about specs, but they are equal or better when compared to Z Ultra.

Akira

It's crazy but I'm tempted by the Z Ultra, even being a big ass phone and all. The Honami will be worth it though if the size of the sensor is 2/3 inch. I personally hope that render is not Honami though, I want it to be Z sized at most. That Honami screen is guaranteed to be amazing though with either Triluminos or IGZO. Sony did a great job with the Z Ultra's Triluminos.

vivftp

Any idea why Sony went with the huge bezel on Honami?

Considering the amount of tech that is supposedly in this phone I think we can be a little forgiving. Actually I think this why Sony is rumored to be working on a Z refresh, for those who want a smaller, thinner phone than Honami

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
It's crazy but I'm tempted by the Z Ultra, even being a big ass phone and all. The Honami will be worth it though if the size of the sensor is 2/3 inch. I personally hope that render is not Honami though, I want it to be Z sized at most. That Honami screen is guaranteed to be amazing though with either Triluminos or IGZO. Sony did a great job with the Z Ultra's Triluminos.

Me too, since the Z Ultra comes with this funky handset:

almost makes the ZU feasible

Chinner

Banned
The Honami is looking to be a solid phone, but if indeed how it looks then I totally don't regret getting the ZL.

that thing is pure sex.

Danj

I'm really happy with my Z so far, but a little jealous of the Z Ultra's CPU and included Bluetooth headset adapter.

Radec

I'm really happy with my Z so far, but a little jealous of the Z Ultra's CPU and included Bluetooth headset adapter.

CPU?

Can we even tell the difference between the two in real world usage?
1.5GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4,2GB RAM, Adreno 320 GPU
2.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800,2GB RAM,Adreno 330 GPU

The screen should be the one we should be jealous about. :D

Danj

CPU?

Can we even tell the difference between the two in real world usage?
1.5GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4,2GB RAM, Adreno 320 GPU
2.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800,2GB RAM,Adreno 330 GPU

The screen should be the one we should be jealous about. :D

Pretty sure the Snapdragon 800 was off the charts in terms of benchmarks compared to even the latest previous models.

Engadget said:

Radec

Man, I hate the lock screen of 4.2.2. They added this outlines.

I also noticed that it doesn't really minimize apps after a few minutes of using other apps. When I try to go back it just restarts it. Making webpages reload again.

Pretty sure the Snapdragon 800 was off the charts in terms of benchmarks compared to even the latest previous models.

But we don't really use benchmarks on our phones everyday right ?

Chinner

Banned
how long does your z/zl battery last using stanima mode from 100%? mine usually says 4 days and 20 hours, but i occasionally find it saying 7 days. is it just bugging out or is hte 4 day reading wrong?

vivftp

how long does your z/zl battery last using stanima mode from 100%? mine usually says 4 days and 20 hours, but i occasionally find it saying 7 days. is it just bugging out or is hte 4 day reading wrong?

How long have you had your phone? IIRC the stamina mode adapts to your usage patterns and bases the estimates off of what's also running. Perhaps you occasionally have less running in the background?

So I can confirm that BIONZ for Mobile has made it into the new i1. It is a software based RAW->JPEG engine developed by the NEX/Alpha team for Krait architecture. The results are outstanding, noise is reduced and detail is kept and it also doesn't use too much compression like previous Sony phones, JPEGs on average are 20-30% larger than they would be with the older engine.

The engine could also be rolled out to Xperia Z/ZL with the next version of Android.

Mokubba

See post 1963 for rumored specs

As far as specs goes it's almost perfect. I love how clean the front is. The earpiece blends in well and the mic is no where to be seen. It's a huge jump from the XZ.
I'm going to have to read up on the camera specs because I don't know what it means lol but it sounds good. I've heard good things about the S-Master MX audio amp as well.

At 3000mAH, would it not be the smallest phone with that battery rating?
I'm guessing the extra height and thickness is to compensate for the battery and lens.

I hope future flagships can squeeze all that goodness into the XZ or XZL size package

samven582

So I can confirm that BIONZ for Mobile has made it into the new i1. It is a software based RAW->JPEG engine developed by the NEX/Alpha team for Krait architecture. The results are outstanding, noise is reduced and detail is kept and it also doesn't use too much compression like previous Sony phones, JPEGs on average are 20-30% larger than they would be with the older engine.

The engine could also be rolled out to Xperia Z/ZL with the next version of Android.

Do you have any idea when this phone is coming to the US?

I wish US customers actually bought Xperia phones so that we could get more of them. :(

Z still hasn't released on T-Mobile. Stupid legal hoops making the launch take forever.

commissar

Plugged my Z into my pc and got told there was the 4.2.2 update.

Now the status bar is back to the original non-black one (fine whatever). But there's a camera link and some other bullshit on the lock screen? Ugh. Anyone know how to get rid of that? Or will I have to roll back to the old firmware somehow :<

edit: AND the useful smaller recent apps list is now huge icons. Gross :[

Akira

Plugged my Z into my pc and got told there was the 4.2.2 update.

Now the status bar is back to the original non-black one (fine whatever). But there's a camera link and some other bullshit on the lock screen? Ugh. Anyone know how to get rid of that? Or will I have to roll back to the old firmware somehow :<

edit: AND the useful smaller recent apps list is now huge icons. Gross :[

Isn't the onscreen bar transparent in 4.2.2?

Top Bottom