• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

ShowDog

I was interested in this to replace my One X, especially for the waterproof feature. The design is stellar from a visual perspective. But this is gonna be an expensive phone, and having a screen with bad viewing angles, a muffled speaker, and a crappy camera is unacceptable. A last gen processor is icing on the cake. This is high end design, a high end price but you are being asked to have mid tier expectations.

The market is too competitive to ask for 4 compromises in a high end phone. If I wanted a beautiful glass phone I'll pay mid tier for a Nexus 4 and deal with poor battery life, last gen processor, poor camera and no LTE. 4 compromises plus better software support

Crisco

Banned
I don't understand, why do viewing angles matter on a phone? It's like complaining about the mobility of a 60" TV.

kehs

Banned
I don't understand, why do viewing angles matter on a phone? It's like complaining about the mobility of a 60" TV.

You don't understand why viewing angles on a device that can be held at multiple angles at any given time matter?

GQman2121

Banned
So the demand and subsequent shortages in EU have to be delaying the formal roll out and announcement for NA, right? Or do none of the carriers really want to support this thing?

I'm really just waiting for one if them to say on ________ we will have the ZL available for $______ or $_______ with a two year contract.

Chinner

Banned
is it possible to buy/import the C6503 of the ZL yet? still need to check out the Z in store (livein the UK), but i want to get whatever model is that will work in UK/Asia.

So the demand and subsequent shortages in EU have to be delaying the formal roll out and announcement for NA, right? Or do none of the carriers really want to support this thing?

I'm really just waiting for one if them to say on ________ we will have the ZL available for $______ or $_______ with a two year contract.

The US market is a mess. No announced date for the HTC One either. :(

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
is it possible to buy/import the C6503 of the ZL yet? still need to check out the Z in store (livein the UK), but i want to get whatever model is that will work in UK/Asia.

I've seen the C6502 (HSPA) version many times on Ebay and other US 3rd party sites that ship to the UK:

http://negrielectronics.com/sony-l35h-xperia-zl-unlocked-black.html#.UT-BcNZnpLo

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cell-Phones-Smartphones-/9355/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Xperia+ZL

outunderthestars said:
The US market is a mess. No announced date for the HTC One either. :(

I honestly believe the ZL is coming march 21 or thereabouts

Which countries have gotten the ZL already? It seems it's only out in very small shipments.

Asian countries (HK, Singapore, Vietnam, China), India, Russia and Brazil gets the ZQ next week.

US launch is very soon and Canada after that, but both are slightly different in hardware terms, they will have the C6506 version which has LTE and no panel lottery. The C6503 is due late in April in select European countries.

Fezan

I think sony is using different type of diplay panels..few days agor i saw a demo unit i agree with verge review(just the screen thing nothing else) but today i saw it again and its beautiful :mad:
still will wait for samsung before buying may be that time it will be cheaper

Chinner

Banned
Asian countries (HK, Singapore, Vietnam, China), India, Russia and Brazil gets the ZQ next week.

US launch is very soon and Canada after that, but both are slightly different in hardware terms, they will have the C6506 version which has LTE and no panel lottery. The C6503 is due late in April in select European countries.

will the c6503 have the panel lottery?>

Fezan

HTC one VS XZ

Wow here screen looks better than htc one

Can upload pics now but you can see xperia Z has better whites in snow scene and better blues in Ocean scene.
htc one has upper hand in greens
EJFI2aH.jpg

z83P4T9.jpg

HTC one VS XZ

Wow here screen looks better than htc one

Can upload pics now but you can see xperia Z has better whites in snow scene and better blues in Ocean scene.
htc one has upper hand in greens

How you can judge a screen based on a Youtube video, which is based on a camera, which in turn is based on your monitor, I'll never know.

Mokubba

I didn't know there was an OT. I was wondering where everyone was from the old thread.

Here's mine from the pick-up thread. Asda came through with the pre-order bonuses, the speakers, dock and case.
The phone is just fantastic. I got scared when i first turned it on as i could see the battery literally depleting like a countdown but after a couple charges it's performing like a champ.

The NFC speakers are superb as well. So good for such a small size. I'll also recommend the dock to everyone.

I've heard 4.2 is meant to improve battery life by about 25%. Is this true.

Very. Sony's best selling phone out of the gate and according to their retail surveys the highest number of iOS > Android switchers of any Android phone released in the UK.

Any more info on this. Sounds like something I would have expected the SIII to have done. Really impressive.

I didn't know there was an OT. I was wondering where everyone was from the old thread.

Here's mine from the pick-up thread. Asda came through with the pre-order bonuses, the speakers, dock and case.
The phone is just fantastic. I got scared when i first turned it on as i could see the battery literally depleting like a countdown but after a couple charges it's performing like a champ.

The NFC speakers are superb as well. So good for such a small size. I'll also recommend the dock to everyone.

I've heard 4.2 is meant to improve battery life by about 25%. Is this true.

Any more info on this. Sounds like something I would have expected the SIII to have done. Really impressive.

Yeah, there was no redirect in the old thread. D:

Like I have mentioned a few times, Sony devices tend to take a few cycles to get to peak performance, they say it increases the number of cycles by 10-15% before it starts to die, for an embedded battery it's a good sacrifice. As for 4.2, I doubt it, it doesn't have any significant additions to Android, other than Google being able to trumpet it for Nexus devices over OEM ones.

No additional information other than that really, from their surveys they I heard they had the highest level of iOS > Android switchers for any phone released so far. It's quite an achievement and with the marketing push starting yesterday it will only get better.

JonnyBrad

No.

Yeah, you can import that one and use 3G and HSPA+ on Three/O2 without any problems. It won't work on 4G. Get it from HK as it will have English natively and basically just uses almost the same software as UK unbranded.

Vodafone as well I assume? All the same bands in the 2g/3g bands in the UK? Currently on Voda as there data roaming is cheapest for me and I spend a lot of time in random European cities.

No additional information other than that really, from their surveys they I heard they had the highest level of iOS > Android switchers for any phone released so far. It's quite an achievement and with the marketing push starting yesterday it will only get better.

That's pretty cool. Sony even released the Transfer app to help people migrate from iOS.

Fezan

How you can judge a screen based on a Youtube video, which is based on a camera, which in turn is based on your monitor, I'll never know.

You cant judge directly but you can make a fair comparison.
Plus you can easily see screen is able to produce different color

If I hadn't just upgraded to the xperia T I'd be all over this. Sony needs to get this to carrier's with subsidized $200 if they want a bigger foothold in the US market, though I guess there's the rumors they're planning on doing a more worldwide release with their next flagship.

Vodafone as well I assume? All the same bands in the 2g/3g bands in the UK? Currently on Voda as there data roaming is cheapest for me and I spend a lot of time in random European cities.

Yes, 3G will work fine on Voda.

That's pretty cool. Sony even released the Transfer app to help people migrate from iOS.

Yes, design and build quality are the number one and two reasons from those switchers.

I think that review has given it the fairest shake of them all.

Indeed. They have looked at the features properly and I think they got the best panel in the lottery.

Jeels

The Verge is a terrible website. No matter what category of product they're covering they are continually falling on their face. Hell, engadget probably even does a better job. But if you don't hate yourself you'd just avoid both of those sites altogether.

Is there a site you'd recommend?

Man I can't wait for Apple to try and sue them. It would be hillarious to watch Sony counter-sue and win.

There's a reason Apple has never tried going after sony despite aiming for practically every other major android handset maker. Sony has such a massive portfolio of electronics patents they could probably just laugh off anything Apple could sue them for. There's even that leaked document showing early internal renders of the iphone by a designer hired by apple that had a sony logo on it. They likely learned a bit of a lesson when they lost to Nokia, another firm with a very large patent warchest. Also Moto, hence why google bought them.

I've long held that Sony is the only maker who can consistently match or beat Apple in aesthetic design (obvious many people prefer Sammy, HTC, or whatever but the general consensus is Apple makes good looking phones).

Mario007

There's a reason Apple has never tried going after sony despite aiming for practically every other major android handset maker. Sony has such a massive portfolio of electronics patents they could probably just laugh off anything Apple could sue them for. There's even that leaked document showing early internal renders of the iphone by a designer hired by apple that had a sony logo on it. They likely learned a bit of a lesson when they lost to Nokia, another firm with a very large patent warchest. Also Moto, hence why google bought them.

I've long held that Sony is the only maker who can consistently match or beat Apple in aesthetic design (obvious many people prefer Sammy, HTC, or whatever but the general consensus is Apple makes good looking phones).

Yeah I know, that's why I'd love to see it happen. Sony explicitely targeting the iPhone crowd with Xperia Z is a very ballsy move and it seems to be paying off for them, so it's only a matter of time before Apple will try something.

Yeah I know, that's why I'd love to see it happen. Sony explicitely targeting the iPhone crowd with Xperia Z is a very ballsy move and it seems to be paying off for them, so it's only a matter of time before Apple will try something.

Apple won't litigate against Sony. One of Sony's many IP licencing subsidiaries owns a core multi-touch patent that literally every phone manufacturer must licence but isn't considered FRAND.

They also own all of Ericsson's old handset IP and Ericsson were in it from the start. Sony own multiple core GSM patents that are essential for releasing mobile phones in the west. Of all the companies in the field, Sony are the best armed and probably the most difficult to take on without facing reciprocal action.

vivftp

Apple won't litigate against Sony. One of Sony's many IP licencing subsidiaries owns a core multi-touch patent that literally every phone manufacturer must licence but isn't considered FRAND.

They also own all of Ericsson's old handset IP and Ericsson were in it from the start. Sony own multiple core GSM patents that are essential for releasing mobile phones in the west. Of all the companies in the field, Sony are the best armed and probably the most difficult to take on without facing reciprocal action.

Call me weird, but info like that puts a huge smile on my face :)

Man I wish Verizon had more phone choice. :/

Still rocking the Galaxy Nexus just because there hasn't been anything worth the bother since. (Better devices yes, but not worth the bother of switching my main phone.)
You and I are on the same exact boat my man. I'm definitely anxiously awaiting the next great phone on big red. When is it coming?!?

tha_devil

I own a Z but really havent been able to test the camera yet. Unfortunately my s3 broke, so i cant compare it directly because that would have been nice.

This review from android central really praised the camera, while other sites thought it was ok but not great.

whats the gaf consensus on this?

Mario007

Wow, well that's just...
Call me weird, but info like that puts a huge smile on my face :)

yeah this describes how I feel about it. Even from Android ecosystem point of view I wish Sony will succeed, as Apple would have a much harder time trying to bring them down than with Samsung.

Wow, well that's just...

yeah this describes how I feel about it. Even from Android ecosystem point of view I wish Sony will succeed, as Apple would have a much harder time trying to bring them down than with Samsung.

Well Microsoft are a good barometer on this issue, they have sued basically every Android OEM large and small and forced them into per device licencing deals from $5 per device like Samsung who have a relatively strong arsenal all the way up to $15 per device for weaker ones from China who want to break into the US. HTC are somewhere in between those numbers.

Sony are legitimately going to be the number two Android OEM in 2013 and neither MS nor Apple have even hinted at litigation against SMC and if they could MS would try and get the $5 per device from Sony, at 60m devices shipped in 2013 that's a nice chunk of money for MS they won't get from an Android OEM.

Apple are said to fear the rise of Sony more than any other company because they know if Sony get their shit together they can be the most formidable tech and media company in the world.

Same manufacturer and same manufacturing process and line. Should be close to identical.

Top Bottom