• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

So between the Xperia's succes, the depreciation of the Yen, the looming ps4, and all the property sales Sony's been doing, is Sony looking to be in much better shape than they were over the past few years?

If only they could do something about Vita.

Until Sony fucks it up with Opticontrast.

(Just kidding, the ZL screen does look better than the Z to me.)

D:

Someone suggested to me that the Xperia Z suffers from poor calibration and this could be an intended "mistake" from Sony to highlight the Bravia Engine crap. He is of the opinion that the Bravia Engine is just a different display calibration profile with lower gamma, higher contrast and more saturated colours and if that profile could be enabled as the default setting throughout the phone almost all of the complaints about the screen would go away.

Akira

D:

Someone suggested to me that the Xperia Z suffers from poor calibration and this could be an intended "mistake" from Sony to highlight the Bravia Engine crap. He is of the opinion that the Bravia Engine is just a different display calibration profile with lower gamma, higher contrast and more saturated colours and if that profile could be enabled as the default setting throughout the phone almost all of the complaints about the screen would go away.

Someone on Esato has suggested that the next flagship from Sony will have a Triluminos LCD screen. This could be a "3 strikes you're out" thing and Sony's last chance to get the screen right. If the next Sony high-end LCD screen is still average compared to others (mostly due to crappy quality control to get the screens all of the same quality and panel lottery) then Sony should just move on to a different screen tech like OLED or something.

Someone on Esato has suggested that the next flagship from Sony will have a Triluminos LCD screen. This could be a "3 strikes you're out" thing and Sony's last chance to get the screen right. If the next Sony high-end LCD screen is still average compared to others (mostly due to crappy quality control to get the screens all of the same quality and panel lottery) then Sony should just move on to a different screen tech like OLED or something.

I haven't heard that personally, it would be interesting if they do. From what I understand the new Trilum is just a nanocoating applied between the LED back lights and the TFT panel which makes for deeper blacks and better colours. It's almost like a super advanced version of OptiContrast.

Sony won't go OLED. Too many problems with production and burn in.

I am inclined to agree with the person I know, Sony are fudging the calibration to make Bravia Engine look more useful than it really is.

vivftp

C'mooooooon Crystal LED phone displays :D

Heh, it would be interesting to see Sonys take on an OLED phone display. They seem to care quite a bit about colour and image accuracy, and I would trust them to make a more accurate display than Samsung.

So... any takers on how long until Sony comes out with a flexible white magic OLED triluminos display? :D

It's almost all covered. I think the kill all function is missing, but with 2GB RAM flushing out apps is less of a concern. There is no multi-app view, but there are small apps.

On the scrolling, it's because Sony don't force GPU rendering by default, they leave it up to the end user, you can turn it on in the developer settings.

wait, what OEM forces GPU rendering by default?

I don't understand, why do viewing angles matter on a phone? It's like complaining about the viewing angles of a 60" TV.

fixed. just sit in front of the TV.

Wads

Banned
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...gaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500748&page=20

I keep refreshing this page hoping for something...any idea when it will be available? Since this page has been up it seems like soon.

I'm guessing I'll need a sim cutter for my sim card.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but this only works on GSM carriers and lte band 17 is tmobiles future band?

Cellular and Wireless : UMTS HSPA+ 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900LTE Band I, Band II, Band IV, Band V and Band XVII

I am inclined to agree with the person I know, Sony are fudging the calibration to make Bravia Engine look more useful than it really is.

I find it interesting that they don't just use the Bravia Engine at all times instead of just video and photos... make it default and be done with it. Battery life I would assume, but it would be nice to have it powering the homescreen and everything.

vivftp

I find it interesting that they don't just use the Bravia Engine at all times instead of just video and photos... make it default and be done with it. Battery life I would assume, but it would be nice to have it powering the homescreen and everything.

I'm just going to toss out a random guess here, but I'd guess it's because the mobile Bravia engine is software based and as such isn't fast enough to keep up with normal activities outside of the apps Sony designates can use it. I saw a Youtube video where when loading images in the album app, you could see the Bravia engine kick in just a split second after a photo loaded. If that's the case, I doubt it's fast enough to keep up with homescreen changes and whatnot. Unless they go with an actual hardware chip like those used on the TVs, I don't think we'll ever see the Bravia engine applied to the entire phone.

Over on esato, they have mentioned that we may see an x-reality engine on future phones, but that is likely to also be software based. While it'd be amazing for Sony to have a hardware chip for phones, I don't know how easy it'd be to port from a TV to a phone.

Sony should add user adjustable gamma, contrast, saturation maybe even sharpness settings and a lot of the washed out complaints would probably go away.
Even something simple and slightly restrictive like giving 4 levels of adjustability -2 -1 0 +1 +2
Would that be so hard?

Danj

Yeah, you can import that one and use 3G and HSPA+ on Three/O2 without any problems. It won't work on 4G. Get it from HK as it will have English natively and basically just uses almost the same software as UK unbranded.

Will the UK version work on LTE 4G once it becomes available? I notice that Three say their "Ultrafast" network will include LTE later this year, and they label the Xperia Z as being an "Ultrafast Ready" device...?

Marques Brownlee posted his review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhXpHULwys

Viewing angles really do not look good based on this video.

That is a pretty good review. It seems like Sony can do a lot really, really well but then take it a little lightly on other aspects which are often times biggies for a phone like the screen and the camera. The screen certainly seems to have been a corner cut a bit too closely which they need to address fully with the next big one. They need to get the camera processing fixed too... Sony seems to have some image quality problems that many other seem not to have; which is bizarre given Sony's background in imaging.

I'm just going to toss out a random guess here, but I'd guess it's because the mobile Bravia engine is software based and as such isn't fast enough to keep up with normal activities outside of the apps Sony designates can use it. I saw a Youtube video where when loading images in the album app, you could see the Bravia engine kick in just a split second after a photo loaded. If that's the case, I doubt it's fast enough to keep up with homescreen changes and whatnot. Unless they go with an actual hardware chip like those used on the TVs, I don't think we'll ever see the Bravia engine applied to the entire phone.

Over on esato, they have mentioned that we may see an x-reality engine on future phones, but that is likely to also be software based. While it'd be amazing for Sony to have a hardware chip for phones, I don't know how easy it'd be to port from a TV to a phone.

That would make sense.

I would like to see them start to adapting the Bravia Engine hardware instead relying on software in the future. Cost and other factors (cooling) might make that unfeasible, but it would nice to see Sony start to get some of the high end Bravia hardware adapted for their future phones. That could give them a bit of a push away from the competition. It is nice to see Sony getting some Bravia work in their phones, but they need to start pushing some boundaries beyond some software.

vivftp

... colour accuracy to some degree :p

As for the Bravia engine and using a scaled down version of the TV chip rather than software, yeah I hope they can do that too. There're so many various technologies Sony has that can enhance the mobile experience, and from what I can tell we're going to be seeing more of those things in the 2H flagship and onwards. Things like a mobile BIONZ processor to enhance images and reduce noise, an S-Master MX digital amp that's used on the Walkmzn Z to improve audio quality, X-reality engines, triluminos displays to improve colour accuracy and blacks, larger camera sensors, better lenses (ie. G lens or Carl Zeiss lens)... the sky's the limit with the tech heritage that Sony is sitting on. The Z and ZL are really only the beginning as we see more Sony tech being shared across the various divisions.

I mean we've already seen a bit of this integration with opti-contrast panels, mobile bravia engines and that sort of jazz. I'm just wondering how long it'll take Sony to bring it all together. Will it be the 2H flagship? Will it be the 2014 devices? I dunno. That's why I feel the Z and ZL are not in fact the best Sony has to offer, but the best they could offer so relatively early to gain marketshare before the competition got their phones out. I'm not saying the Z and ZL are bad by any means - I'll be getting a ZL once it's available in Canada. I'm just saying there's a lot more Sony can do to improve their mobile phones with just the tech they've already got in other devices. Once they can bring it all together, Sony will truly be a force to be reckoned with.

dave_m123

So guys,

Does the Z have a screen lottery? I'm thinking of buying one in next 2-3 weeks. Should I wait a while longer to get a newer version which may have the better screen or is it unlikely to be any different?

JonnyBrad

I was under the impression that it was turned on by default for native JB devices, must have been mistaken.

Not really. Not with JB at least, with ICS forcing GPU could cause overheating but JB fixes that.

Forced GPU rendering is still off by default. Each app dev can have it on by adding a few lines of code.

They can't have it forced on by default as it can mess up apps. Try downloading the sky + app and turn on forced GPU rendering in options. Scroll around the channel view and you'll see the problem.

Sony either just haven't turned it on for their launcher & apps. Or they have badly optimised software.

Yes, that would be a good idea.

Nothing like this, Bravia Engine is just a different colour calibration that is activated within certain apps. It should have a negligible battery life impact. They won't use a hardware chip for image processing as it will hurt battery life. What Sony need to do is what MeBecomingI said and make BE a core feature and have it set to "on" all the time or include the awesome screen calibration tool that was available on ZL developer devices.

Sony should add user adjustable gamma, contrast, saturation maybe even sharpness settings and a lot of the washed out complaints would probably go away.
Even something simple and slightly restrictive like giving 4 levels of adjustability -2 -1 0 +1 +2
Would that be so hard?

Would make Bravia Engine pointless though, and that is seen as a selling point by Sony. They even take it away if you unlock the bootloader. If a developer could come up with an app that does this stuff without root they could make a lot of money I think.

Will the UK version work on LTE 4G once it becomes available? I notice that Three say their "Ultrafast" network will include LTE later this year, and they label the Xperia Z as being an "Ultrafast Ready" device...?

Yes, the UK version is C6603 and is 4G ready.

in a panel lotto, somebody's gotta take the L

D:

I would like to see them start to adapting the Bravia Engine hardware instead relying on software in the future. Cost and other factors (cooling) might make that unfeasible, but it would nice to see Sony start to get some of the high end Bravia hardware adapted for their future phones. That could give them a bit of a push away from the competition. It is nice to see Sony getting some Bravia work in their phones, but they need to start pushing some boundaries beyond some software.

No extra hardware, everything needs to be done in software, adding extra hardware costs a lot of money.

... colour accuracy to some degree :p

As for the Bravia engine and using a scaled down version of the TV chip rather than software, yeah I hope they can do that too. There're so many various technologies Sony has that can enhance the mobile experience, and from what I can tell we're going to be seeing more of those things in the 2H flagship and onwards. Things like a mobile BIONZ processor to enhance images and reduce noise, an S-Master MX digital amp that's used on the Walkmzn Z to improve audio quality, X-reality engines, triluminos displays to improve colour accuracy and blacks, larger camera sensors, better lenses (ie. G lens or Carl Zeiss lens)... the sky's the limit with the tech heritage that Sony is sitting on. The Z and ZL are really only the beginning as we see more Sony tech being shared across the various divisions.

I mean we've already seen a bit of this integration with opti-contrast panels, mobile bravia engines and that sort of jazz. I'm just wondering how long it'll take Sony to bring it all together. Will it be the 2H flagship? Will it be the 2014 devices? I dunno. That's why I feel the Z and ZL are not in fact the best Sony has to offer, but the best they could offer so relatively early to gain marketshare before the competition got their phones out. I'm not saying the Z and ZL are bad by any means - I'll be getting a ZL once it's available in Canada. I'm just saying there's a lot more Sony can do to improve their mobile phones with just the tech they've already got in other devices. Once they can bring it all together, Sony will truly be a force to be reckoned with.

While I would love to see all of that happen, I just don't see it right now. Sony is too slow and too market reactive. They don't set the trend any more, they just follow. In September 2014 Sony need to announce and release this device:

Xperia Z2

5" FHD S-IPS
4GB RAM
Qualcomm SD900(?)+LTE
20.2MP 1" type sensor with a 28mm f2.0 Zeiss/Sony G lens
Dedicated camera button with quickstart
Mobile BIONZ
3000mAh battery
32GB storage plus SD slot
Waterproof/dustproof
Aboout 9-11mm thick
Aluminium/Magnesium/Glass build
No fucking "shatter proof sheet" just use higher quality glass
ZL size or smaller

That is what Sony should have released this year with SD600+2GB instead of APQ8064

So guys,

Does the Z have a screen lottery? I'm thinking of buying one in next 2-3 weeks. Should I wait a while longer to get a newer version which may have the better screen or is it unlikely to be any different?

If you wait, you are more likely to get the best screen, later shipments are going to use it as standard. There are 3 different ones currently in the pipeline, JDI A JDI B and Sharp. Sharp is the best and JDI A is the worst. Xperia ZL only uses Sharp and Xperia Z is moving over to Sharp as standard. It is already the most common one, but Sharp didn't have the capacity to feed in for 5m+ production in Dec/Jan so Sony had to supplement the order with JDI screens which are definitely not ready for the primetime. Sharp say they are up to full capacity now so the JDI screens should be a thing of the past. At least until they fix their backplanes.

Forced GPU rendering is still off by default. Each app dev can have it on by adding a few lines of code.

They can't have it forced on by default as it can mess up apps. Try downloading the sky + app and turn on forced GPU rendering in options. Scroll around the channel view and you'll see the problem.

Sony either just haven't turned it on for their launcher & apps. Or they have badly optimised software.

In that case Sony needs to enable GPU rendering for the launcher.

tha_devil

as for the bravia engine, sometimes it gives good results...sometimes very bad.

You are right, in album app bravia engine if off when viewing thumbnails. If you zoom in, u can literally see it change. Some faces really get way to red (would like to post pics, but cant due privacy). However, if you swipe pics from left to right the BE is nice in time, and you dont see it change.

Mediocre camera, poor speaker and crap viewing angles. That's the Z crossed off my lists of potential upgrades, as nice as the hardware is.

Can someone convince me why viewing angles are important, cause people needs to stop saying this shit (even if they are crap)

dave_m123

If you wait, you are more likely to get the best screen, later shipments are going to use it as standard. There are 3 different ones currently in the pipeline, JDI A JDI B and Sharp. Sharp is the best and JDI A is the worst. Xperia ZL only uses Sharp and Xperia Z is moving over to Sharp as standard. It is already the most common one, but Sharp didn't have the capacity to feed in for 5m+ production in Dec/Jan so Sony had to supplement the order with JDI screens which are definitely not ready for the primetime. Sharp say they are up to full capacity now so the JDI screens should be a thing of the past. At least until they fix their backplanes.

So if I wait say another month I should get one with the Sharp screen? They seem fairly sell sold out here in the UK in most places so I'm guessing stock is being constantly replenished.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Can someone convince me why viewing angles are important, cause people needs to stop saying this shit (even if they are crap)

If you have multiple people viewing the phone at once, if you have the phone laying down and want to check something without picking up the phone, not having to angle the phone every time you pick it up.....and then there is the whole question of why you should accept bad viewing angles when other manufacturers have erased it as an issue.

If you have multiple people viewing the phone at once, if you have the phone laying down and want to check something without picking up the phone, not having to angle the phone every time you pick it up.....and then there is the whole question of why you should accept bad viewing angles when other manufacturers have erased it as an issue.

The way you (and most people) describe the 'problem' of viewing angles as above is as if people won't see anything. You get slightly distorted colours, that's all. I don't know why the viewing angles are not up to industry standards, maybe it has something to do with waterproofing. All I know is it doesn't bother me.

The Screen looks perfectly fine for me when it's flat on my desk. I can use it without having to pick it up or tilt the screen.

There's a ton of hyperbole out there regarding viewing angles but if you get a Sharp screen (Which the vast majority are) they really aren't an issue. I've had the phone for a week now and I've never struggled to see anything on it from whatever angle I'd use it at.

darkwing

The Screen looks perfectly fine for me when it's flat on my desk. I can use it without having to pick it up or tilt the screen.

There's a ton of hyperbole out there regarding viewing angles but if you get a Sharp screen (Which the vast majority are) they really aren't an issue. I've had the phone for a week now and I've never struggled to see anything on it from whatever angle I'd use it at.

which panel manufacturer aside from Sharp is used for the Z?

which panel manufacturer aside from Sharp is used for the Z?

3 Screen types, 2 from JDC and 1 from Sharp

XZ-ABC.jpg

You can see how washed out the JDC screen is compared to the Sharp one.

Hey guys, when I tap the back of my phone I hear a clicking noise, I recorded it, it comes from the upper part. I never noticed it until now, is this normal?

I've not listened to your recording but I do hear an extra noise when I tap the top portion of my Z which doesn't happen in other areas.

Sony actually manufactured some of the screens for the HTC One.

A comedy of errors.

No they don't. The screen for the HTC One is manufactured by Sharp. Sony don't have a mobile screen manufacturer anymore they sold it to the Japanese government.

Top Bottom