• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

longdi

Banned
Is the panel viewing angle lottery for real? I thought the japan XZ looks "better' because Sony used an all black background instead of light grey for the international version. Sony is using JDI screens and their official specs sheet states the viewing angles are about 160 degree (very poor) iirc.

It will be pretty obvious if you play with a ip5 or htc one side by side and it is not just at extreme angles. A slight shift and you lose much contrast. However Sony colors are the most accurate in the Android world, not Apple godly but very good which helps to stomach the poor viewing angles.

What i think is a more serious issue about XZ is that it is not as snappy as one expects. A point not much reviewers have yet to make a fuss as much as the screen. There is perceptible slowness to it. I hope Sony can fix that in a update. I love the XZ, a smart looking phone, but i will wait for the update or the XZ2.

I think Verge review sums it up, Sony's still a step behind with some puzzling choices/flaws.

This pic tells you that it's real as it gets:

XZ-ABC.jpg

Dazzla

My Z will be going back in a day or so. The lagginess is real and disappointing for a high end phone. The battery is atrocious, it's a standby king but as soon as you turn that screen on it just dies. I scrape through a working day from 6 until 6 with single digit percentage left. My iPhone 5 would have 30-40%.

The screen issue doesn't bother me. I've never really understood the issue with not having extreme viewing angles, I've never had a use case where they were required. I would say that the increase in PPI wasn't noticeable over the iPhone 5 either.

I'll miss the waterproof feature, that is pretty nice on a high end phone. It was good not worrying about the phone with a 9 month old baby around.

It's also hard going back to typing on an iPhone 5 in portrait, so god damn cramped.

Edit: thought I'd mention the camera as well. It is very ordinary. The noise reduction is aggressive leading it to be very smeary. Low light performance isn't great either.

I think that is because of difference in wallpaper background. One is pure black, one is light grey.

Here is the story and video
http://blog.gsmarena.com/here-is-ho...ng-for-ntt-docomo-in-japan-fare-side-by-side/

No the wallpaper is the same on all the devices in that image. Maybe you're thinking of the Softbutton and Notification bars. That article is also outdated, there's a large thread on XDA talking about the different screens used. Very little technical detail at the moment though so a lot of the issues people are having could possibly be fixed with software calibration.

lupinko

So between the Xperia's succes, the depreciation of the Yen, the looming ps4, and all the property sales Sony's been doing, is Sony looking to be in much better shape than they were over the past few years?

If only they could do something about Vita.

Still need to turn the Bravia around before the Vita for Sony to be in better shape.

Still need to turn the Bravia around before the Vita for Sony to be in better shape.

Bravia needs to be 'something'. Bravia used to be a TV line and now they've introduced the term into the smartphone world. Tha Bravia Engine makes a huge different on the Xperia Z. There should be bravia features in everything.

There's no ZL in my country and i like more the back of the phone of Z than ZL. Price is good too, around 200€ + 6 months 43€ + phone bill for 2 years, or 450€ + contract on 2 year.

I know, just waiting for prices for HTC One here under contract.

RdN

This phone is so pretty.. I wish they had a bigger model. Would make me consider changing my Note II.

2San

So my Xperia Z arrived, it's pretty nice. However the Wifi is all kinds of broken. :| Other people seem to be experiencing this problem as well.

2San

How? The wifi is bad, I don't have connection in places at my home where I had with Galaxy S2.
That's pretty much my problem. My previous phone was a Xperia play and it had a better and more consistent connection at the exact same place. Not to mention that the Xperia play has bad connection as well. My 3DS always has a solid connection.

edit: All kinds of broken, might be an overstatement, but it's pretty disappointing for a new device. :|

slider

That's pretty much my problem. My previous phone was a Xperia play and it had a better and more consistent connection at the exact same place. Not to mention that the Xperia play has bad connection as well. My 3DS always has a solid connection.

edit: All kinds of broken, might be an overstatement, but it's pretty disappointing for a new device. :|

I don't have particularly useful knowledge so maybe someone else can shed some light on the following...

I remember getting much better wifi reception on my PS3 after a FW update. It doesn't seem to make any sense (I mean signal strength is signal strength... right?) but it did happen and my PS3 wasn't any closer to the router than before. So maybe there's hope if I haven't made this all up (I haven't!).

Hmm, I would like some knowledgeable person to shed some light if they could.

2San

I don't have particularly useful knowledge so maybe someone else can shed some light on the following...

I remember getting much better wifi reception on my PS3 after a FW update. It doesn't seem to make any sense (I mean signal strength is signal strength... right?) but it did happen and my PS3 wasn't any closer to the router than before. So maybe there's hope if I haven't made this all up (I haven't!).

Hmm, I would like some knowledgeable person to shed some light if they could.
Having weak signal strength doesn't really bother me, but it drops the connection too often. It's really annoying when browsing. I am pretty far though, maybe it just has a slightly weaker reception.

It wouldn't surprise me though, if a firmware update could be able to fix it.

vivftp

While I would love to see all of that happen, I just don't see it right now. Sony is too slow and too market reactive. They don't set the trend any more, they just follow. In September 2014 Sony need to announce and release this device:

Xperia Z2

5" FHD S-IPS
4GB RAM
Qualcomm SD900(?)+LTE
20.2MP 1" type sensor with a 28mm f2.0 Zeiss/Sony G lens
Dedicated camera button with quickstart
Mobile BIONZ
3000mAh battery
32GB storage plus SD slot
Waterproof/dustproof
Aboout 9-11mm thick
Aluminium/Magnesium/Glass build
No fucking "shatter proof sheet" just use higher quality glass
ZL size or smaller

That is what Sony should have released this year with SD600+2GB instead of APQ8064

Just speaking from a physics standpoint, is it even possible to fit a 1" sensor with appropriate glass into a device 9-11mm thick? I hope it is, but I'm no expert on the matter.
Anyways yeah, all of the above + IR blaster, S-Master MX amp + an extra sprinky of Sony magic, and we're talking :)

To be honest though, I'm actually hopeful that whatever they do release in 2014 will make the phone described above look positively weak in comparison. There're all kinds of rumours floating about for next years phones like 4k displays and whatnot... who knows what's actually true though. I do wonder when, if ever, we'll see Vita games on a phone :(

RDN said:
This phone is so pretty.. I wish they had a bigger model. Would make me consider changing my Note II.

Ahh, then you want the phablet. Supposed ETA for it is June/July and the current estimates for its screen size are 6.44". Esato is currently down so I can't get the specs that were posted there, but from memory it supposedly has a 2560x1600 display, 3 (maybe 4?) GB of RAM, a Sony designed stylus (hopefully the one with friction based haptic feedback http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/22/sony-haptic-feedback-stylus-patent/ ). It'll also be running a Snapdragon 800 CPU

If those rumours are true, then it should easily be a match for the upcoming Note 3, I'd imagine.

Jeels

Is it a smaller version of the X or the XL? Because if its the latter I might be playing the waiting game again. :x

vivftp

Love the return of the transparent bar. I do hope that one day we can see it in some way, shape or form in a flagship unit again. On the other hand, the LED light on the ZL is absolutely amazing in itself, so that's all good too.

TheLoyalist

Neo Member
Sort of off-topic, but just saw this on Esato. Picture of the Xperia SP with a 4.3-inch (?) 720p screen. Looks WAY better than the first leaked photographs.

Sony phones always looks better irl compared to Samsung where the pictures looks better than irl

I think I'm gonna make a DIY dock or charging cable. I had an old SE W810i charging cable lying around. Took off the side pins and this is the result:

UAP9c0p.jpg

The phone starts charging and goes into dock mode when I put this charger in the Xperia Z's side slot. Pretty neat.

Fezan

Zomg can you tell me why sony is not perusing Xperia sola technology of hovering finger etc.
They were the first to do it but no s4 will have it and people will realize its a revolution.
it also worked great with Gloves etc

I got this yesterday and it turns out LTE isn't supported in my region (middle east). How is this possible?

Other than that and the crap camera, I really like the phone.

EDIT: Nvm, just found out the model c6602 which is being sold here doesn't support LTE. :/

Fezan

I got this yesterday and it turns out LTE isn't supported in my region (middle east). How is this possible?

Other than that and the crap camera, I really like the phone.

EDIT: Nvm, just found out the model c6602 which is being sold here doesn't support LTE. :/

where in middle east do you live ?

Akira

Probably will get little advertising from Sony (if any) and will get drowned out in the marketing for iPhone 6 and GS4. I find it funny that the phone is already out in a couple of big markets already and we have yet to see any reviews or impressions of the thing. As beautiful as the ZL is, it just seems like an unnecessary product that will receive little push and create little profit for Sony.

Akira

I wouldn't get your hopes up of the ZL/Z getting picked up by carriers. Your best bet is to buy unlocked from the Sony Store.

Mung

According to Nikkei the Xperia z has been the top selling phone in Japan for four consecutive weeks... Pushing stocks up

Akira

Just looked it up.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/15/markets-japan-stocks-idUSL3N0C79ZB20130315

Code:
Sony Corp soared 11 percent after Daiwa Securities
raised its rating to 'buy' from 'neutral,' saying that the
company could turn profitable in fiscal 2014 due to strong
smartphone sales. The stock closed at a 11-month high of 1,668
yen and was the main board's most traded stock by turnover.

Japan's business daily Nikkei reported that the Xperia Z, a
new smartphone model Sony launched last month, was the
top-selling model in Japan for four straight weeks.

Guess that puts it around 225-250k in Japan now. The other big news is Sony increasing 11 percent. I should've bought those stocks back in October...

I wouldn't get your hopes up of the ZL/Z getting picked up by carriers. Your best bet is to buy unlocked from the Sony Store.

Z - T-Mobile
ZL - Unlocked, possible CDMA version for Sprint way down the road depending on manufacturing capacity.

Also - 4.2.2 is almost ready, in beta testing now. Should be out by the end of the month.

Top Bottom