• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

85 hours later at a 75% completion rate, I finally finished 0. I think I can sum up all my thoughts with Kazuma's thoughts on the Pocket Circuit subtory saga below.

Pq1u3A3.jpg

As a newcomer to this series, I am simply amazed having never played this game before, and I'm glad GAF was there to recommend this absolute gem of a game for me. I was never a fan of beat-em ups but I adore the simple yet satisfying combat of the game, its silly yet surprisingly emotional and occasionally heartwarming substories, and the main story itself, which is genuinely one of the better examples of a story I've seen in a video game. But if anything, this game is very much human. Like, you do end up empathising with the characters thanks to the superb writing, and even most of the villains were sympathetic and you end up respecting their ideals. There's almost no cynicism or bad-natured jabs at any target in particular, and there's this innocence to the game that's just so charming.

If I have any gripes with this game,
it's how overly melodramatic the scenes with Makoto can be. Her backstory is so sadistically cruel you'd half expect to hear her say her dog and cat and goldfish all died horribly as well. It's ridiculous. Although, my favourite scenes with her are the quieter moments like both takoyaki scenes. Also, Nishitani's death scene is drawn out for way too long.
I LOVED the bromance between Kiryu and Nishiki, it really feels like those two have a genuine friendship between them.

I could go on and on, how the music is so good even for tracks you rarely hear in the game, how all the food looks so good, how surprisingly fun dressing up and running a cabaret club is, or even guilty pleasures like collecting telephone cards and going to Gandhara, the list just goes on.

I'm just happy to say I now consider myself a fan of the series and I'm eagerly awaiting Kiwami's release.

On a side note, can anyone photoshop the "Yakuza Supporter" banner onto my avatar?

nOoblet16

I wish the random conversations were shorter, there's too much of reading for absolutely trivial stuff. For example that guy who teaches you different forms and upgrade mechanics why are conversations with him so long ? Almost every thing they say is like 2-3 lines long and it keeps going on and on. Which is why I just skip it but it develops a bad habit that I end up skipping important stuff too.

On a side note it's funny how the guy says yes, no whenever these conversation happens...it's obvious it was done by a japanese person hah

I wish the random conversations were shorter, there's too much of reading for absolutely trivial stuff. For example that guy who teaches you different forms and upgrade mechanics why are conversations with him so long ? Almost every thing they say is like 2-3 lines long and it keeps going on and on. Which is why I just skip it but it develops a bad habit that I end up skipping important stuff too.

On a side note it's funny how the guy says yes, no whenever these conversation happens...it's obvious it was done by a japanese person hah

They're long because there's usually jokes hidden damn near everywhere. I skipped some of the initial Mr.Shakedown dialogue and I regret it, there was some wacky ass dialogue there.

Even the conversations teaching rudimentary stuff have jokes in them.

"You need to invest in yourself!"

*invests money in himself*

I like it, it gives the game a great flavour and identity.

HEY BOIIII

85 hours later at a 75% completion rate, I finally finished 0. I think I can sum up all my thoughts with Kazuma's thoughts on the Pocket Circuit subtory saga below.

I'm just happy to say I now consider myself a fan of the series and I'm eagerly awaiting Kiwami's release.

On a side note, can anyone photoshop the "Yakuza Supporter" banner onto my avatar?
I'll repeat what I said earlier in the thread.
I highly recommend newcomers not view any videos of Kiwami or ruin themselves on the story. It's really something worth experiencing as blind as possible.

If you have any gameplay related questions, I and others in the thread will try our best to answer but just know that if you enjoyed Zero then you will also like Kiwami.
In regards to the avatar, PM Son of Sparda. He's been doing them for most of the people here :)

They repeated a couple of voice tracks again and again.
I don't really mind it though as I'm used to them already from the previous titles. I guess it's pretty weird for newcomers to see how the game have so many different ways to handle a scene.

Anyway, I love the voice actings in the game, but the chinese dialouges are bad, very bad.

They repeated a couple of voice tracks again and again.
I don't really mind it though as I'm used to them already from the previous titles. I guess it's pretty weird for newcomers to see how the game have so many different ways to handle a scene.

Anyway, I love the voice actings in the game, but the chinese dialouges are bad, very bad.

Late-game spoilers:
That one random NPC in Little Asia was legit. Everyone else, tho... Man it's not even consistent how they pronounce Chen's name, Oda says "Chen" while Tachibana says "Chin".

OMG I BEAT HIM FINALLY

took like 2 hours and beat him in the cheapest way possible

I was just running around in circles around him and when he was done with his combos I would rush over, punch him once, and then go running again.

Kind of like the first boss fight but this one took much longer.

muteki

Do enemy HP/Defense get tougher as the game goes along? I got the second power upgrade for brawler and I'm knocking people out with one combo, but I feel like that happened after the first power upgrade too.

Also, at one point I was running into side quests left and right, now I haven't found any in a while. Do sidequests unlock as you progress through the game?

Do enemy HP/Defense get tougher as the game goes along? I got the second power upgrade for brawler and I'm knocking people out with one combo, but I feel like that happened after the first power upgrade too.

Also, at one point I was running into side quests left and right, now I haven't found any in a while. Do sidequests unlock as you progress through the game?

The amount of enemies, their health pool and the amount of weapons they use all increase as the game goes along.

There are a limited number of substories (100 total I believe) so naturally things will slow down. Substories unlock I think every chapter till Chapter 7, then 2 unlock in a particular chapter, and the final 2 substories in the final chapter.You can use the encounter finder item to help find the starting location of substories.

Any substory that's been unlocked because you've gotten to the relevant chapter stays unlocked as you progress, it's not tied to a particular chapter. You can do them at your leisure.

There's also an unofficial guide that you can utilize if you want: http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/substories.html

is that like the official way to view the narrative? he was handed a gun in the cutscene preceding the gameplay segment, so...

That's usually how it works to explain the silliness outside of the main story but this is a weird situation lol.

I guess technically he did
kill people, but it was entirely in self defense. They were shooting at you after all and firing rockets

In this situation, I guess it's mainly about
"cold-blooded" or unnecessary killing as what Majima went through too.

That's usually how it works to explain the silliness outside of the main story but this is a weird situation lol.

I guess technically he did
kill people, but it was entirely in self defense. They were shooting at you after all and firing rockets

yeah but it's like Sagawa said way early on the in the game. When you kill a person, no matter who that person is, no matter the circumstance, that's a line you cross.

edit: just saw your edit, so I guess
if Nishiki was referring to that cold blooded murder then I suppose it's different. But Kiryu definitely killed all those guys

yeah but it's like Sagawa said way early on the in the game. When you kill a person, no matter who that person is, no matter the circumstance, that's a line you cross.

edit: just saw your edit, so I guess
if Nishiki was referring to that cold blooded murder then I suppose it's different. But Kiryu definitely killed all those guys

Tbh, I can't really defend this. It's clearly a big inconsistency in the story.

Usually all the weird stuff is relegated to substories and side missions but in this instance, it's smack dab staring everyone in the face.

My advice would be: Just go with it.

Tbh, I can't really defend this. It's clearly a big inconsistency in the story.

Usually all the weird stuff is relegated to substories and side missions but in this instance, it's smack dab staring everyone in the face.

My advice would be: Just go with it.

lol, I am

just enjoying some cutscenes now. lol @ Nishiki telling Kiryu to
wear that suit for the rest of his life. He literally does.

ok so credits are rolling, I saw a poster above saying there is an after credits cutscene so I'll wait for them to finish rolling but...
Makimura should've known that was Majima. He told her he only had one eye, knocked out two idiots with one punch each, and I dunno if she spoke but she should've been able to put two and to together...how many people does she hear know and and now see with an eyepatch walkin around...?

ok so credits are rolling, I saw a poster above saying there is an after credits cutscene so I'll wait for them to finish rolling but...
Makimura should've known that was Majima. He told her he only had one eye, knocked out two idiots with one punch each, and I dunno if she spoke but she should've been able to put two and to together...how many people does she hear know and and now see with an eyepatch walkin around...?

He actually made it a point not to talk in front of her because he knew his voice would have given it away. It's why he punched the guy before he finished saying his name, just in case.

Her eyesight wasn't completely fine hence why she needs a doctor around.

She's met a lot of people that can knock out two idiots. I guess she's just not fazed by that anymore.

I too thought that was weird until I googled it and found the answer on gamefaqs.

"She is a prototype render for Kiwami's Reina. Probably just thrown in towards the end of development to save time and cost."
Source for Spoiler.

Yea, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought "wait...this doctor looks waaay too good/detailed to be a minor character." Guess that explains it hahaha

2 MIGHT get a remake.

3-4-5 will never get a remake, remaster at best. Expect news by TGS 2017 at the latest.

It's one of those confusing AF things that you won't really get until you play the game.

2 is the only one in need of a remake, I really hope SEGA does this, they already have a base for rebuilding Sotenbori in 6 if they need to...plus they can't hate on Kaoru forever. :(

He actually made it a point not to talk in front of her because he knew his voice would have given it away. It's why he punched the guy before he finished saying his name, just in case.

Her eyesight wasn't completely fine hence why she needs a doctor around.

She's met a lot of people that can knock out two idiots. I guess she's just not fazed by that anymore.

He didn't speak and interrupted the guy who was about to give him away but how many people can there be in her town with an eyepatch, and can kick ass? She could tell he had one eye as she said "his eye looked so sad..."

anyways, this game was fantastic. it wasn't perfect but I was hooked on till the very end. since this is a prequel though I'm wondering if kiwami will have any references to events in this game, or other installments. i don't recall anything about it in yakuza 3 or 5

He didn't speak and interrupted the guy who was about to give him away but how many people can there be in her town with an eyepatch, and can kick ass? She could tell he had one eye as she said "his eye looked so sad..."

anyways, this game was fantastic. it wasn't perfect but I was hooked on till the very end. since this is a prequel though I'm wondering if kiwami will have any references to events in this game, or other installments. i don't recall anything about it in yakuza 3 or 5
I got the feeling that
she kinda suspected.

They've added scenes in Kiwami that actually weren't in Yakuza 1, taking some of the events of 0 into mind. Some are big, some are small. There were actually some connections or additions people expected that would have made a lot of sense but they didn't go for, instead choosing to stay as true to the original as possible. Even if it made some problems with the consistency of some future events.

All the Yakuza games are self contained stories at their core though, so don't expect any recurring threads.

2 is the only one in need of a remake, I really hope SEGA does this, they already have a base for rebuilding Sotenbori in 6 if they need to...plus they can't hate on Kaoru forever. :(
Agreed. Best Yakuza needs a fitting remake and if Y6 is any indication then a remake would be jaw droppingly fantastic.

Wheatly

I don't recall this - did she know that he had an eyepatch?

I got the feeling that
she kinda suspected.

They've added scenes in Kiwami that actually weren't in Yakuza 1, taking some of the events of 0 into mind. Some are big, some are small.

All the Yakuza games are self contained stories at their core though, so don't expect any recurring threads.

ohhhh that is good to know, thanks. i knew there were new scenes but I didn't know it was to take 0 into account, that's great.

I know that the Yakuza games' stories are pretty much standalone, and that's cool, just so long as previous characters return which for the most part they do.

SephLuis

is that like the official way to view the narrative?

Everyone's alive and very sorry. Kiryu then receives a massive package containing drinks and other small items.

After the girlfriend quest with Majima, apparently more than we can imagine.
Reality or the 80s were weird.

Everyone's alive and very sorry. Kiryu then receives a massive package containing drinks and other small items.
lol, would that that massive drink package be that AHA water I was scammed into buying?

After the girlfriend quest with Majima, apparently more than we can imagine.
Reality or the 80s were weird.
i'm not sure if I'm gonna go back to do any of the sidequests. not that they aren't worth it but there's that digimon game and tales of bersaria seems interesting too. this game was time well spent though.

SephLuis

lol, would that that massive drink package be that AHA water I was scammed into buying?

Those punks don't have that kind of dough.

i'm not sure if I'm gonna go back to do any of the sidequests. not that they aren't worth it but there's that digimon game and tales of bersaria seems interesting too. this game was time well spent though.

Berseria is certainly interesting. Finished the game a few days ago and really liked it.
Just be warned that some parts drag on.

One thing that dawned on me after completing the game, we were missing the
hideout
mechanic from previous games. It was odd, since I was so used to it.

Yea, you COULD say
the businesses
acted as a surrogate, but it was missing a few features.

bigol

Besides some scarce memories of Yakuza 1 i don't really remember Goro Majima,
but i have to say until Chapter 4 Majima is my favourite character in this game. His story is awesome and that Chapter 4 ending left me shocked and wanting more Majima. Was a little disappointed when i went back to Kiryu with Chapter 5.

71 hours. Finally finished. Man, from like Chapter 14 on I was trying hard not to choke up on some parts. I need Kiwami now.

Also damn you basically can't screen shot or record the entire final chapter.

xclk07

Ok... JCC is rng awful, we know that, but I'm getting really pissed at the crafting rng too. If 50 lead ingots is a base for about 7 difft weapons, maybe lead ingots should be one of the parts that can always be obtained every search, rather than getting 8 at a time every 6 searches or so. :-(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I find Kiryu's story has a stronger overarching narrative and supporting cast, while Majima is a more enjoyable main character (both mechanically and narratively). I like Sotenbori more than Kamurocho, too.

Of course this doesn't mean I didn't like Sagawa, Lee, Nishitani, etc. The Dojima lietuenants, Tachibana, and Nishiki are kinda hard to top though.

if this series continues to be playstation exclusive, then sony should help fund sega with it.

the few of us who are hardcore fans have cried for them to port it over to the west but what if even yakuza 0 just wasn't profitable for them? if sony backs them with a more proper push perhaps it would have sold better.

Chapter 13 question:

Is there anything for Kiryu to do in Osaka besides the coliseum, or can I just go see Sera without worrying about a ton of missed stuff? The only fun side bits I noticed were the police cars outside Lee's chiropractor clinic, being able to shop at the Dragon and Tiger, and the quick conversation outside the Grand with the waiter. I guess some of the side activities are open but I didn't, for example, notice anything different at the disco or Gandhara.

Chapter 13 question:

Is there anything for Kiryu to do in Osaka besides the coliseum, or can I just go see Sera without worrying about a ton of missed stuff? The only fun side bits I noticed were the police cars outside Lee's chiropractor clinic, being able to shop at the Dragon and Tiger, and the quick conversation outside the Grand with the waiter. I guess some of the side activities are open but I didn't, for example, notice anything different at the disco or Gandhara.

Beat it awhile ago but nope, nothing that I know of. Did all the same things you did and walked around some more but nothing else came up for me so I went straight to Sera after exploring everything.

Thinking about finishing off the sidestories but can't find the sidequest finder for majima and the only kiriyu sidestories are all erotic videos and phone call based.

GeeTeeCee

Thinking about finishing off the sidestories but can't find the sidequest finder for majima and the only kiriyu sidestories are all erotic videos and phone call based.

I think Majima's Encounter Finder is acquired from maxing out the friendship gauge at Komain (the restaurant opposite his apartment).

Top Bottom