• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

I think Majima's Encounter Finder is acquired from maxing out the friendship gauge at Komain (the restaurant opposite his apartment).

Don't think it's that because I'm pretty sure that involved fishing for a few items which I remember doing. Just tell me that I don't need to collect the set of women cards to complete any sidestories because I hate collectibles.

It looks like (Chapter 10 spoilers btw.)
Kiryu is heading for Majima's area now. I didn't plan on doing this so soon, but I'm probably going to finish the real estate quest first. The Leisure and Electronic Kings are already down.

george_us

Just start Majima's first chapter. So far this game is everything I'd hoped it be and more. I love the way these games do open world. Small but very dense and packed with detail.

GeeTeeCee

Can't be, because I never maxed it out (fucking turtles).

Don't think it's that because I'm pretty sure that involved fishing for a few items which I remember doing. Just tell me that I don't need to collect the set of women cards to complete any sidestories because I hate collectibles.

I'm genuinely not sure anymore; a bit of googling suggests the subquest finder item is actually called the Trouble Finder, and multiple sources still reckon it comes from the Komain substory.

Playstation Trophies said:
Equipping the Trouble Finder accessory will also cause available substories to appear on your map. Kiryu receives this accessory as a reward for completing substory 13; Majima receives it after raising his relationship with Nozomi to full (following substory 79).

I'm genuinely not sure anymore; a bit of googling suggests the subquest finder item is actually called the Trouble Finder, and multiple sources still reckon it comes from the Komain substory.

I probably put in the item box and never checked it then. Should help out a lot because I've heard good stuff about beating all the SU stories.

Finished the Luka story last night. I thought it was hilarious,
I love how the game plays a story completely straight and then suddenly turns ridiculous. The Super Hang-On reveal was perfect.
I think in less skilled hands, the janky PS2-era animation of the NPCs would just make for bad, cringy dialogue scenes like so many other games. But the writing is so good and it's almost like the writers are aware of the stilted quality of the animation and use it to their benefit. Of course I would love to see them improve the animation, but they certainly punch above their weight.

Finished the Luka story last night. I thought it was hilarious,
I love how the game plays a story completely straight and then suddenly turns ridiculous. The Super Hang-On reveal was perfect.
I think in less skilled hands, the janky PS2-era animation of the NPCs would just make for bad, cringy dialogue scenes like so many other games. But the writing is so good and it's almost like the writers are aware of the stilted quality of the animation and use it to their benefit. Of course I would love to see them improve the animation, but they certainly punch above their weight.

They work really well in the goofy substories, but the actual story scenes can suffer from it at times. Nothing I can't look past, but still, I'm always happy to see an actual CGI cutscene.

Aki-at

They work really well in the goofy substories, but the actual story scenes can suffer from it at times. Nothing I can't look past, but still, I'm always happy to see an actual CGI cutscene.

Really one of the reasons why I'm so looking forward to Yakuza 6, everything is such a jump in quality there it'll help the presentation of the story so much.

The story scenes are a bit weird, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for when they jump back and forth from CGI to in-game scenes.

I find Kiryu's story has a stronger overarching narrative and supporting cast, while Majima is a more enjoyable main character (both mechanically and narratively). I like Sotenbori more than Kamurocho, too.

Of course this doesn't mean I didn't like Sagawa, Lee, Nishitani, etc. The Dojima lietuenants, Tachibana, and Nishiki are kinda hard to top though.

Agreed on both. Don't forget Oda as well though in regards to Kazuma having the stronger supporting cast.

Also, Majima's mini game, the cabaret is way better than Kazuma's mini game the real estate. I think they're both pretty much equal when it comes to the combat, both have great styles of fighting that don't bore me and those Heat moves and the music that plays during the combat styles...so good.

Agreed on both. Don't forget Oda as well though in regards to Kazuma having the stronger supporting cast.

Also, Majima's mini game, the cabaret is way better than Kazuma's mini game the real estate. I think they're both pretty much equal when it comes to the combat, both have great styles of fighting that don't bore me and those Heat moves and the music that plays during the combat styles...so good.

come on, majima's fighting styles are way more fun.

Can someone put the yakuza banner in my avatar please?
zZ03ZxbGY.png

muteki

The amount of enemies, their health pool and the amount of weapons they use all increase as the game goes along.

There are a limited number of substories (100 total I believe) so naturally things will slow down. Substories unlock I think every chapter till Chapter 7, then 2 unlock in a particular chapter, and the final 2 substories in the final chapter.You can use the encounter finder item to help find the starting location of substories.

Any substory that's been unlocked because you've gotten to the relevant chapter stays unlocked as you progress, it's not tied to a particular chapter. You can do them at your leisure.

There's also an unofficial guide that you can utilize if you want: http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/substories.html
Thanks. I don't really feel like I'm getting that much better with the combat personally but the upgrades are carrying me through.

beast style is useless against a stone wall enemy like a boss. Breakdancing has let me beat bosses who at some point became near impossible to combo.

I don't know. I didn't have any trouble using beast style against any boss. The punches have a good range and the combo finisher is often strong enough to break enemy's guard.

If you upgrade enough, the enemies won't be able to knock you down and you can just mash buttons.

But I only played the game on normal. Maybe it's different on harder difficulty?

I don't know. I didn't have any trouble using beast style against any boss. The punches have a good range and the combo finisher is often strong enough to break enemy's guard.

If you upgrade enough, the enemies won't be able to knock you down and you can just mash buttons.

But I only played the game on normal. Maybe it's different on harder difficulty?

maybe that's the difference. with majima I actually unlocked everything i wanted to with the cabaret stuff. With Kyriu I maxed out only one tree, other two i didnt feel like doing the real estate crap

Aki-at

One of the biggest advantages of Beast in boss fights I've found is the ability to pick up any boss characters. You can knock them down then pick them up in a dazed state and knock them down again or just get a couple of throws in. It's actually pretty handy even in one on one situations with the exception of Mr Shakedown.

MrDaravon

Fuuuuuuck the goddamn baseball minigame, this shit fucking sucks. At least for the bowling minigame where you had to get X amount of money for the CP you would still come out ahead by generating any money period, but the baseball one you have to make actual profit and I can't come even goddamn close to getting back to my 5 million buy-in. I'm gonna be fucking pissed if I spend 150+ hours in this game and THIS is what fucking stops me from getting the Platinum.

DC1

I'm beyond frustrated. I would like to have the 10 Cat Fight trophy before progressing to my legendary playthrough an ultimately the Platinum (Just 5 more wins).

I have lost 10 out of the last 11 battles in the final round (let alone countless bull crap rounds and inconsequential button mashing).

As repeated numerous times on this board... This mini-game just might be the greatest tragedy in all gaming creation.

I'm beyond frustrated. I would like to have the 10 Cat Fight trophy before progressing to my legendary playthrough an ultimately the Platinum (Just 5 more wins).

I have lost 10 out of the last 11 battles in the final round (let alone countless bull crap rounds and inconsequential button mashing).

As repeated numerous times on this board... This mini-game just might be the greatest tragedy in all gaming creation.

Last night I was drunk enough to decide to do some catfighting for a minute. Up popped a special event, where if I guessed the outcomes of all tourney fights, they'd give me a billion yen from a 20 mil buy-in. Downside is you have to play as every fighter you picked. I actually got 7 out of 10 right, but lost on some typical RNG BS. But the variety of stuff they crammed into this game, even in shitty minigames like the catfighting, is kind of astounding.

Rymuth

The story scenes are a bit weird, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for when they jump back and forth from CGI to in-game scenes.
Game development may not have progressed in a linear fashion. CGI is usually done for key cutscenes. They may have chosen to do the in-game cutscenes for pivotal scenes later on but realized they may not have time nor manpower for some of the earlier ones and just said fuck it----still portraits and call it a day.

The story has plenty of places to poke holes with in terms of several thematic & execution elements.

The chase scene could easily be "improved" by simply
letting Oda be the person who shoots the helicopter down while Kiryu drives

Nishitani's scene is self-explanatory.

Majima's and Makoto's
near the end too, could be logically made more coherent by having Majima pull out shades or something."

But I would say a lot of this are ultimately minor quips that don't distract from the quality of the storytelling, especially since the game at its core, already has so much dissonance between side and main story.

Talking about presentation, I wish they leaned into their comic book style scenes more. Everyone I've seen stream the game is really impressed with that style and I have to say I'm a fan too. At least in the place of normal in engine stuff.

Aki-at

Man one really annoying thing about the climax battles is if you don't exit back into the main menu the game doesn't save it! Had to redo Majima's
untouchable as Mad Dog of Shimano trial.

Kind of understand why
some people were having trouble with Sera but his fairly easy to beat once you read his attacks, dodge behind him and unleash a flurry of light attacks. Trying to go for anything with a heavy in it's chain is going to leave you open and until he drops to the 2 bar of health, you can always grab him and do a square grapple attack.

Finished beating all the other clubs! Anything else to do related to cabaret clubs?

If you haven't already in the process of beating the clubs:

• Finish the special training for each girl to get a substory for each one.
  • Recruit all bronze, silver, and gold hostesses (mainly to get the checkmark in completion)

Top Bottom