• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

lol that fucking sucks. at least give me the option to buy the item i missed somewhere in the game. RIP making money as Kiryu I guess. Meanwhile Majima has like 10 billion that I can't transfer because ??? Very player-unfriendly move.

You'll eventually be able to
give money to the other character and be able to give items to one another.

Mupod

I make more money doing real estate than I could ever dream of getting from Mr. Shakedown. Granted on hard mode I can't just chug energy drinks and burn through 9 lifebars or whatever these jerks have now.

I make more money doing real estate than I could ever dream of getting from Mr. Shakedown. Granted on hard mode I can't just chug energy drinks and burn through 9 lifebars or whatever these jerks have now.

Lol, it's actually the opposite for me. Can easily get 3-4 billion in a few minutes by farming 2 Shakedowns in a row.

Are side quests missable, like if I finish the game can I go back and do all side quests?
There's a premium adventure mode where you can continue from your clear data and go anywhere and do any substory or minigame or activity in the world without having to worry about story.

Do other Yakuza games have split campaigns like this?
Yakuza 1, 2, 3, Kenzan and Ishin had single protagonists.

Yakuza 4 had 4 protagonists, and Yakuza 5 had 5.

Ah nice, I like structures like that. 4 and 5 sounds like a lot, wow!

Yakuza 4 had a pretty decent story, very good gameplay variety and managed to tie in the 4 protagonists very well IMO.

5 was ALL over the place though, and was way too big and expansive for it's own good.

First Yakuza i've ever beaten, does the
one sided "love" story between Goro and Makoto
continue in the next games? Do you see her again at all?

Man.. Getting a Turkey in bowling is really hard. :(

Everyone seems to have their own strategy but what worked for me was using the 2nd heaviest ball, moving 3 spaces to the right and aim as close to the center as possible with 90-100 percent power. I adjust the spin according to how far left or right my arrow was from the center.

The trick is to practice a single shot to get consistency. I went all the way to the left and then aimed for the centre pin trying to go just slightly to the right of it, around 90 power and only added a single bar of spin if the aim was off. I could consistently get 2 strikes, but getting the turkey still took some time, but only going for shot setup meant I could get a feel for how off I was.

First Yakuza i've ever beaten, does the
one sided "love" story between Goro and Makoto
continue in the next games? Do you see her again at all?
While I wouldn't advise even reading the answer, I'm still gonna post it anyway. If you play Yakuza: Kiwami, which is a remake of Yakuza 1 and takes place directly after this story (and is releasing in Summer) then that would be the ideal way to find out.

No, she's not mentioned again. But Makoto certainly had an impact on him, which causes him to become the kind of person you see in the other games.

While I wouldn't advise even reading the answer, I'm still gonna post it anyway. If you play Yakuza: Kiwami, which is a remake of Yakuza 1 and takes place directly after this story (and is releasing in Summer) then that would be the ideal way to find out.

No, she's not mentioned again. But Makoto certainly had an impact on him, which causes him to become the kind of person you see in the other games.

Ok i'm not going to read then, i would have bought Kiwami anyway.

Here's how I did it: pick the second ball (so the second-lightest), aim straight for the middle. You'll probably end up being slightly to the left or right. Give it 1 bar of spin towards the center, and go for around 75ish power. This gives me at least 50% strikes.

I got one by finishing substory#13. Don't know if it's random though.

It's not random but substory 13 is reserved for Majima, where as for Kiryu you have to do a bit more to get that item. As someone mentioned though, later on you can
send money/items to Majima, apparently.

Chairhome

Had to burn through RE7 Gamefly rental real quick to get back to this. Just got to the beginning of chapter 3 and I love it. This game is so great

Mupod

Go all the way to the right, pick the lightest ball. Aim just left of center and go for the highest power you can. Strike every time.

If you screw up the aim you can put a minor spin on the ball to correct it. I got 5 strikes in a row when I was trying for the 3 with this method.

SxP

Funnily enough, I tried and tried getting a turkey in Yakuza 3 because it was a trophy. Never got it. Got 4 strikes in a row the very first time I go bowling in 0... But of course, this time it's not a trophy.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm curious.

Everyone who's new to this series and beat the main story, how do you find the game? Worthy of your purchase?

xclk07

I'm curious.

Everyone who's new to this series and beat the main story, how do you find the game? Worthy of your purchase?

New to the series, put in over 50 hours already, not even near beating it (on Ch. 6). That should tell you how worthy it is! $$s to content, can't get a better game.

Chase17

I'm curious.

Absolutely. Fantastic story and I love the tone of the game, bouncing between serious and silly perfectly. Biggest problem is that some of the boss fights felt a bit tedious to me, but in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal.

I'll be in for Kiwami on day 1.

I'm curious.

Story wise i think it's amazing, compelling and deep with a very memorable, well characterized cast. It has its absurd point but i think it's a signature of the game (and i imagine of the entire serie) and you can feel it completing the side stories where the shifting of tones reaches its peak (dramatic/serious - absurd/funny)
Gameplay wise i think it has its flaws (expecially at the beginning of the game, where it feels a bit clunky and where it relies basically in the same combo) but i liked/loved it towards the end when i started putting billions in the sphere grid. There are plenty of extra activities of which i'd say i liked all except for the
cat fight
When i beat it i felt like when i beat Shenmue 2, Persona 4 and Blood and Wine... just empty, that's a good sign!

convo

Oh shit Majima's minigame is actually more fun than Kiryu's. I can do it continously and the big battles don't stop me from playing it. I should be moving forward though to exchange money with Kiryu. I have to say they tried really hard to justify the money transfer in-game, it's less gamey than people suggested but more of a funny coincidence.

Interesting news about the new Firmware update, makes me want to hold off playing the game again until its released to the public (no tearing would be a great improvement, pretty much the only minus point on the game performance wise). Makes me hope that Kiwami is improved in the same way.

What song is the hostess makeover song?

is this it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kURhCOqMD9k
Interesting news about the new Firmware update, makes me want to hold off playing the game again until its released to the public (no tearing would be a great improvement, pretty much the only minus point on the game performance wise). Makes me hope that Kiwami is improved in the same way.
If Kiwami has the same problem then I don't see why it won't get "fixed" by this too.

There's a premium adventure mode where you can continue from your clear data and go anywhere and do any substory or minigame or activity in the world without having to worry about story.

Yakuza 1, 2, 3, Kenzan and Ishin had single protagonists.

Yakuza 4 had 4 protagonists, and Yakuza 5 had 5.

And Dead Souls had 4 protagonists
Majima, Akiyama, Kazuma and Ryuji Goda
as well.

xviper

the voice acting is great but one thing bothered me about it

most of the characters scream all the time, especially before a fight, it's like they are in a Dragon Ball universe, i don't get it, is that how regular Japanese people speak ?

for a moment i thought Majima was about to turn into super sayian

So unlocked the catfights. Worst mini game I've ever played? Worst mini game I've ever played.

Going for the platinum though so hot to play it. Won one tournament so far. 9 to go...

most of the characters scream all the time, especially before a fight, it's like they are in a Dragon Ball universe, i don't get it, is that how regular Japanese people speak ?

It's when you know shit's going DOWN.
So unlocked the catfights. Worst mini game I've ever played? Worst mini game I've ever played.

Going for the platinum though so hot to play it. Won one tournament so far. 9 to go...
Use the blonde teacher lady, she has the best stats. But yeah, it's a total chore.

epmode

It's part of the Yakuza charm.

Yo, spoilers. Many people are being good about them, but I'm seeing some people just throwing minor spoilers out there. Some of us are going through the game slowly, so please be cognizant of that and spoiler story (both main plot and sidestories) details. Arigato.

I'm curious.

I'm not even halfway done with the story and already think it was worth my purchase. It's the best game I've played in a very long time. The fact that it has both a gripping narrative with great writing, as well as 100 side stories, six pretty deep fighting styles, management simulators, as well as a ridiculous amount of minigames and classic arcade games makes it one of the best values for your money I've ever seen for a game.

Top Bottom