• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

BeeDog

u_neek said:
You can use the PS button to pause cutscenes :)

Great review - I pretty much agree with everything even though I'm not that far in.

... Good god, now I feel stupid. I always assumed the game would keep running behind the overlay. Thanks for that heads-up, lulz.

u_neek

BeeDog said:
... Good god, now I feel stupid. I always assumed the game would keep running behind the overlay. Thanks for that heads-up, lulz.
Well, in your defence, it doesn't work in most games ;)

Audioboxer

Pretty
convenient beach for Saejima to get washed up on
, and then
WTF at that awkward scene with Haruka?!!?

^ Act 2, Chapter 2 spoilers.

slaughterking said:
Yeah, no kidding. :lol
At least the game was aware of that.

I would have swallowed that he
washed up on that beach
by destiny or fate or whatever. But not because 2 minutes ago
Hamazaki told him to find Kiryu
:D

GeoramA

Aud?oboxer said:
Pretty
, and then

That was definitely a weird scene. Haruka didn't scream or fight back which was even weirder. But the weirdest thing was Kiryu seeing it happen and then was understanding...lol

IrishNinja

BeeDog said:
- The rainy Kamurocho setting looks beautiful, but is underutilized. (is there a way to force rain on for Premium Adventure?)

this, so hard. i really wanted to just wander and see the city when it rained...again, 2 different series, but moments like that were channeling something very Shenmue-like for me.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
whats the name of the aladin destiny game? when you do I dont know what and start to play a video of the adventure and characters?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
About 11 hours in. Game is excellent. The early Saejima (sp?) stuff is a bit heavy on cut scenes and prison breaks in games still aren't that interesting, but I like everything they added to Kamurocho. Between the rooftops and the sewer system it feels a lot more multilayer while still be very detailed. It's not Liberty City but the detail level and number of places you can go into is greater.

It feels like this campaign is going to be longer than Yakuza 3. That was 19 hours for me with some side stuff thrown in, and I'm more than halfway there just with the second character in the second chapter in Yakuza 4 right now.

Is this pretty much the same deal as Yakuza 3 where you can go back to any side stuff you didn't do when you get to premium adventure? And do you get to switch between all the characters?

Got Yakuza 3 with this for free at Kmart which I beat as a rental but all the side missions between both games will keep me busy for months. This is my new favorite franchise out of Japan. I don't know how they manage to get these games out every year with the quality, length, and production value they have (well, I'm guessing reusing Kamurocho helps) but I am impressed.

IrishNinja

Mooreberg said:
Is this pretty much the same deal as Yakuza 3 where you can go back to any side stuff you didn't do when you get to premium adventure? And do you get to switch between all the characters?

Got Yakuza 3 with this for free at Kmart which I beat as a rental but all the side missions between both games will keep me busy for months. This is my new favorite franchise out of Japan. I don't know how they manage to get these games out every year with the quality, length, and production value they have (well, I'm guessing reusing Kamurocho helps) but I am impressed.

i echo this question, as well as if anyone call tell me what fighting style Akiyama's on, still curious about that one. and totally agreed on the last paragraph, adoring the series but 4 is seriously looking like my game of the year so far.

JEKKI

maaaaaan I hate when you wanna play a game but you're busy all day with errands n sponsibilities n stuff then finally it's late evening and you're like "yeay~!!! finally time to start Yakuza 4!!! I've been waiting for days!!!"

then u put it in and the thing has to install and takes ages!!!! >_<

this shyt aint even at 90% yet... I coulda been playing it like 20 minutes ago!!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pretty
, and then

It was such a neat way to set up the following scene though. No real exposition required because of that one moment.

DiresuDR

Man...Week 1 sales are not looking good. Less than half of Yakuza 3 sales. This series just can't catch a break in the west.

Damn Shame...

DiresuDR said:
Man...Week 1 sales are not looking good. Less than half of Yakuza 3 sales. This series just can't catch a break in the west.

Damn Shame...
Ugh. Horrible. Well, I did my part as usual. I have to commend Sega for continually taking a chance with this series. I remember when we were all wondering whether Y2 was even coming out. That didn even feel like all that long ago either. Anyhow, barely in Chapter 1 part 2 and I'm having a blast. I love the feeling of exploration in the Yakuza series. Shenmue may be gone but I get a huge kick out of this series.

IrishNinja

fuck. for real? where are you getting these #'s from? so glad i bought it week 1 at full price, i never fucking do that anymore but this is the one series i felt justified (plus, again, free part 3!). still say idve bought steelbox edition if i couldve.

Flunkie

Banned
Newcomer to this series. I downloaded the Yakuza 4 demo, liked it a lot despite it being fairly barebones.. where should I start series-wise?

The end of part 4
was really too stupid stupid to be any enjoyable for me.

Oh no, Kido has a gun. Who would've expected that. :eek:
Oh no, Arai has a gun. That changes everything. :0
Oh no, Katsuragi has a gun. What should we doooo. :O
Oh no, Yasuko has a gun, too. Everyone has guns now. People getting shot everywhere. O_O

It's like the writer didn't know how to build tension and get the story forward during that scene, so he just gave everyone guns and and then flipped some coins to see who should betray who first.

JEKKI

I finished chapter 1!!!

never mind my initial frustrations and anger... I love this game!!

I dont even care that 80% of my time was spent watching cutscene, I love the Yakuza!!

DiresuDR

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Ugh. Horrible. Well, I did my part as usual. I have to commend Sega for continually taking a chance with this series. I remember when we were all wondering whether Y2 was even coming out. That didn even feel like all that long ago either. Anyhow, barely in Chapter 1 part 2 and I'm having a blast. I love the feeling of exploration in the Yakuza series. Shenmue may be gone but I get a huge kick out of this series.

Same here. Bought it day 1. Yea I love that they still decided to bring all 4 here but man...I had hopes that 4 would at least match 3 which sold like 150k in the west. While still not amazing sales, it was like 3-4x what Y2 sold. 4 seems like it will sell closer to 2 than 3...

Sega did really well too this time around, didn't cut pretty much anything and localized it fairly fast and this is what they get. Sucks that the game gets so overlooked as it's one of my all time favorite series...

IrishNinja said:
fuck. for real? where are you getting these #'s from? so glad i bought it week 1 at full price, i never fucking do that anymore but this is the one series i felt justified (plus, again, free part 3!). still say idve bought steelbox edition if i couldve.

Ok...I guess I can't say the name of the site as it gets **** out. Either way...number reported is 16,459...for week 1

DiresuDR said:
Ok...I guess I can't say the name of the site as it gets **** out. Either way...number reported is 16,459...for week 1
If you're using chartzzzzzzz then you can assume that the numbers are dead wrong. It's banned for a reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
slaughterking said:
The end of part 4

Oh no, Katsuragai has a gun. What should we doooo. :O
Oh no, Yasuko has a gun, too. Everyone has guns now. People getting shot everywhere. O_O

It's like the writer didn't know how to build tension and get the story forward during that scene, so he just gave everyone guns and and then flipped some coins to see how who should betray who first.
That happened in Y3 as well. It's an easy marker of someone who is evil/wrong in some way... and I didn't mind it too much for whatever reason.

conman

DiresuDR said:

Damn Shame...
All that press about the cut content seems to have done Y3 a big favor. Maybe they should have just cut even more out of Y4 and gotten even more negative press. Ugh.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
These games should be digital releases. If Aksys can put out niche fighting games and SRPGs on PSN, there's no reason why Sega can't do the same thing.

The fact that Sega of America didn't even really try with the game here in terms of bonuses/extras/steelbook cases, I'm not sure what a disc release gets them here.

DiresuDR

Revolutionary said:
If you're using chartzzzzzzz then you can assume that the numbers are dead wrong. It's banned for a reason.

What are the alternatives? I usually don't care much about numbers but I really wanted to see this series do well and I had high hopes for 4.

conman said:
All that press about the cut content seems to have done Y3 a big favor. Maybe they should have just cut even more out of Y4 and gotten even more negative press. Ugh.

No such thing as bad press I guess. The cuts did give the game more attention than it would have otherwise had I guess. The outrage at the cuts, and SEGA manning up and doing it right with 4 had me hoping it would sell more and not less than 4.

IrishNinja

^me too. hard to market a part 4 of an obscure series, even though the catchups are excellent. i'm telling all my friends how awesome it is, but a lotta people just preorder Portal 2 and getting ready for the deluge this year is gonna bring. i think sega brought it out at a good time, relatively, too - lackluster marketing aside, not sure what else could've been done.

still gonna grab Of the End day 1 to help out.

conman

DiresuDR said:
No such thing as bad press I guess. The cuts did give the game more attention than it would have otherwise had I guess. The outrage at the cuts, and SEGA manning up and doing it right with 4 had me hoping it would sell more and not less than 4.
It's not so much that it was "bad" press as that it was free press.

Not to mention that "Of the End" has gotten far more press Stateside than Yakuza 4 has, and Of the End will not likely get a release outside of Japan (and even that's a big question mark at this point, right?). Total marketing f-up, if you ask me. But no big surprise at this point, I guess.

IrishNinja

conman said:
Not to mention that "Of the End" has gotten far more press Stateside than Yakuza 4 has, and Of the End will not likely get a release outside of Japan (and even that's a big question mark at this point, right?).

whoah whoah, i thought we were collectively operating under the assumption that a stateside release was a given, and just waiting on E3 for a date, no?

conman

IrishNinja said:
whoah whoah, i thought we were collectively operating under the assumption that a stateside release was a given, and just waiting on E3 for a date, no?
I don't think I've seen anything suggesting a definite NA release. I'm pretty sure outlets here have just been piggy backing on Japanese publicity for the Japan release. Combined with less-than-stellar sales for Y4, I'm pretty skeptical. But maybe I missed something.

And, of course, the indefinite delay for the Japan release makes this seem a total "not a chance in hell" release for NA. But who knows?

DiresuDR said:
What are the alternatives? I usually don't care much about numbers but I really wanted to see this series do well and I had high hopes for 4.

Sega didn't release any numbers regarding Yakuza 3 sales either, we just heard good things from RubyEclipse here on the forum and later Sega announced that it did good :p

Find out and tell us Ruby! :D

JEKKI

I like how your main character refers to the first boss as "tiger"

coz then u get to punch a tiger in the face!!!

conman said:
I don't think I've seen anything suggesting a definite NA release. I'm pretty sure outlets here have just been piggy backing on Japanese publicity for the Japan release. Combined with less-than-stellar sales for Y4, I'm pretty skeptical. But maybe I missed something.

And, of course, the indefinite delay for the Japan release makes this seem a total "not a chance in hell" release for NA. But who knows?
We really have no clue how the game is selling. There simply is no trustworthy source that provides us with that kind of information. Only the UK charts kinda indicate that Yak4 is performing more or less the same as the prequel, but that's really not enough to draw any meaningful conclusions.
And the reason most people think Of The End is likely to be released outside of Japan is because of the Zombie setting and the shift in gameplay which seems (at least superficially) more appropriate for the western taste.

I'm not sure what the Japan delay, which was obviously a reaction to the recent disaster, has to to with a possible US release, though.

BeeDog

Does anyone have a list of the UFO Catcher items and how to get them? I have 3-4 missing from my list, and I can't for the life of me find them (tried both arcades).

_Xenon_

Banned
slaughterking said:
The end of part 4

Oh no, Katsuragi has a gun. What should we doooo. :O

It's like the writer didn't know how to build tension and get the story forward during that scene, so he just gave everyone guns and and then flipped some coins to see who should betray who first.
The most stupid part of this game is
hey let's throw guns on the ground like cookies so the bad guys can pick it up!
Aside from part 4, this game is almost flawless.

DiresuDR

Noisepurge said:
Sega didn't release any numbers regarding Yakuza 3 sales either, we just heard good things from RubyEclipse here on the forum and later Sega announced that it did good :p

Find out and tell us Ruby! :D

Aha. Well in that case I certainly hope the news is similar for Yakuza 4. Especially since on the SEGA forums they said that if Y4 sales are good enough they might localize Kenzan.

P.S. Does anyone find it kind of cheap to have a coin locker radar now? I was one of those people that went through every location in Y3 in First Person Mode and found all but like 3 coin locker keys without a FAQ.

conman said:

actually, i wonder if the delay increases the chance of it getting here (& possibly before any japanese release) - certainly any kind of return on the investment would be in sega's interest...

Anybody else need anger management therapy after making it to #1 on the Mahjong tournament? That stupid Lucky Tomiko and her voice. I swear she doesn't shut up. That annoyed me more than the fact that everybody else on the table were dealt instant-win hands.

Top Bottom