• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

In the middle of act 2 and loving it so far. I really love how different the 2nd character play and love his super armor Triangle move.

My gripe is also the fact you have to hammer X to get through prompts.

My locker key collection experience:
*Finds blinking object (Hit X)
You found something (Hit X)
Take Key? Yes or no? (Hit X)
You found Key to Underground Locker A-1 (Hit X)

Audioboxer

MiniBossBattle said:
In the middle of act 2 and loving it so far. I really love how different the 2nd character play and love his super armor Triangle move.

My gripe is also the fact you have to hammer X to get through prompts.

My locker key collection experience:
*Finds blinking object (Hit X)
You found something (Hit X)
Take Key? Yes or no? (Hit X)
You found Key to Underground Locker A-1 (Hit X)

Yeah, that sort of crap is annoying.

george_us

I'm just got to Part 2. I'm loving the characters, gameplay and story quite a bit but holy fucking crap the map is awful. The general UI leaves a lot to desired honestly. I only did one of the submissions in Part 1 because I could never find who I was supposed to talk to.

Of course I could be missing something.

Finished it yesterday. Great game, but I actually preferred 3. Not a fan of the multiple character system. I'm probably in the minority here. Only Kazzy for Y5 please!

anyone have tips for the hostess maker? i'm on the 2nd girl, and spent about 10 days trying to make 150,000 in a day, she's S/S/S and i'm going insane

if there is a link to a chart showing the specific roles clothing/accessories have, that'd be great

i've already spent double the time on hostesses, i got through EX-hard in about 4 hours and i'm starting to go a little crazy

so close to the platinum too...

aha! gamefaqs first page on the board... awesome!

::CUTE::

Clothing
Mini Skirt Dress
Eyeliner: 1 - Orange/Brown
Eyeshadow: Brown (Down 4, Right 3)
Shimmer ES: Yes
Color Contacts: Velvet Purple (Down 3, Right 3)
Blush: Any
Shimmer Blush: Yes
Lipstick: 2 - Pink (Down 3)
Necklace: None
Nails: Cute Nails
Ring: None
Watch: Simple Watch
Bracelet: Jeweled Bracelet

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

::CONSERVATIVE::

Clothing
Charming Off-Shoulder Dress
Eyeliner: None
Eyeshadow: None
Shimmer ES: None
Color Contacts: None
Shimmer Blush: None
Lipstick: 1 - Dark Fuchsia (First Option)
Necklace: Elegant Necklace
Nails: None
Bracelet: Pearl Bracelet

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

::FLASHY & GORGEOUS::

Clothing
Mermaid Dress
Makeup
Eyebrows: 3 - Brown (Right 3)
Eyelashes: 2 - Black
Eyeliner: 4 - Black
Eyeshadow: Blue (Down 4, Right 4)
Shimmer ES: Yes
Color Contacts: Blue (Down 3, Right 1)
Shimmer Blush: Yes
Lipstick: 2 - Dark Fuchsia (First Option)
Necklace: Chain Necklace
Nails: Gorgeous Nails
Bracelet: Jeweled Bracelet

schennmu said:
Finished it yesterday. Great game, but I actually preferred 3. Not a fan of the multiple character system. I'm probably in the minority here. Only Kazzy for Y5 please!

While i liked 4 more than 3, i agree about the characters part.

hamchan

george_us said:
I'm just got to Part 2. I'm loving the characters, gameplay and story quite a bit but holy fucking crap the map is awful. The general UI leaves a lot to desired honestly. I only did one of the submissions in Part 1 because I could never find who I was supposed to talk to.

Of course I could be missing something.

What's wrong with it? The sub-mission menu lists the current objective for each one. Is it just hard to find the street the objective points to? I've played this series for a long time now so I've memorised pretty much the entire map but I can see how it would be hard to find a certain street.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
epmode said:
How in the hell has this game not been in stock at Best Buy since launch?

Seriously. I really hope that Amazon price match before my Best Buy order ships, so I can cancel the latter and get the game from a halfway competent retailer like Amazon.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
slaughterking said:
54,27% completion after 47:25. I think I'm going to finish the story next. The sidestuff is getting a bit tiresome.
Word. I was trying to get my guys atleast to 20 before the final fight but.. too much.
I haven't even touched the minigames

FINISHED! :D credits rolling at the 28 hour mark. 20% completion rate though. Didn't finish even 20 sidequests ;D

So some more stuff to still check out, but first i got to play through Mass Effect 2 real quick!

Very good game even though this chapter has too many "oh no, someone got shot off screen and might have not died after all!" :D

Yakuza 2 is still the best in the series, in my opinion. The antagonists were pretty weak here, same as Yakuza 3. In 2 they were introduced early on and they had a lot of story of their own. And their reasons of being evil were much more clear and more down to earth :D

simtmb said:
Completely different games, it shouldn't matter what DA2 received when the games merits will essentially be judged differently. A 9.2 for DA2 doesn't mean it's the superior game of course, but unfortunately people may make this same comparison, and the ones that base the games worth on this, would be the ones ultimately missing out on something they might otherwise enjoy.
So what does a 9.2 score for DA2 mean?
Other than gametrailers gets money from ea shoved down their collective anuses?

I think both games can be compared and if there are 9.2 scores floating arround for games that, according to most fans, are medicore then Yakuza 4 deserves more than 8.2, because it didn't fail as a sequel and is actually fun to play.

now on chapter 3 of part 3, & am still really loving this game - re-learning combat with the different characters's been a blast, & the combining of their back stories with their side missions was a pretty brilliant way to go...

while i can understand some people getting tired of the yakuza 'formula', this series has for me (as has the ratchet & clank series) achieved some sorta level of transcendent perfection. it's flawed, it's funky, it's not quite state of the art, & it hasn't really evolved a whole lot, but there's something about the fundamental elements (the environment, the characters, the music, the good-if-not-always-great writing, & the humor) that feel so damn right, & solid, that i not only don't really care if it never changes, i would truly prefer that it didn't...

i'm not a big fan of 'comfort food' gaming, & spend as much time playing games off the beaten track, & most people's radar, as not - i like being surprised by stuff, & playing stuff not quite like anything else. but i guess i have my exceptions, & the yakuza games are among them. so, please, nagoshi-san - don't ever change! :) ...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The final boss curve in this game is mad stupid

You go
normal fight
semichallenging fight
Derp I have infinite aura, can counter anything you do, and can interrupt your combo at any time
Herr I have infinite goons and a gun along with a guy you can't throw

zoner said:
The final boss curve in this game is mad stupid

You go
normal fight
semichallenging fight
Derp I have infinite aura, can counter anything you do, and can interrupt your combo at any time
Herr I have infinite goons and a gun along with a guy you can't throw

Yeah, it was shitty. Really don't want to do that on the higher difficulties.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
also what ever happened to the detective chick from 2? She was supposed to be Kiryu's main love interest and then.. nothing

Riposte

zoner said:
also what ever happened to the detective chick from 2? She was supposed to be Kiryu's main love interest and then.. nothing

She went to America.

Also surprised you found any of the final boss fights challenging aside from the last one.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Riposte said:
She went to America.

Also surprised you found any of the final boss fights challenging aside from the last one.
The last one, imo, was way easier than the third one. Grab weaklings. toss them with armbar. Build up spirit and then use the shot stopper every time i get aura

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I liked both chapter 1 and what I've played of chapter 3 more than the Saejima stuff. Too much police evasion.

Tanimura is a lot of fun in combat. Love using the arm locks and arresting techniques. For whatever reason after doing 7 out of 9 of the side missions in the first chapter I have just been sticking to main story stuff since then but I'll get back to those missions later.

As mentioned the increased density of Kamurocho is great but I don't read spoiler stuff so I'm starting to get the feeling there is no second urban area to play in which is a little disappointing after how cool Kansai and Okinawa were in the last two games. Cool to see how all the plot threads connect together. Also interesting that the main goal of everything is as explicitly stated this far into the game, but not too surprising with four playable characters. Great game, though I'm not sure it will match Yakuza 2 for having my favorite story.

Just as an FYI for those still hoping to take advantage of the Best Buy sale price, I found a copy at my local store today even though the website said it was out of stock at every store in the city. I think it was mentioned before but a game will show up as being out of stock in-store online if they only have one or two copies left. Anyway its still only $40 so its worth checking if you happen to be at Best Buy (for whatever God forsaken reason).

Now to start the game. :D

Riposte

zoner said:
The last one, imo, was way easier than the third one. Grab weaklings. toss them with armbar. Build up spirit and then use the shot stopper every time i get aura

Hmmm do you have the komaki techniques unlocked? Also Kazuma's HEAT action you cancel the roll.

Man, this series could be so much better if they took it more seriously lol.

JEKKI

*sheeng*sheeng*sheeng*sheeng*sheeng*

I swear freakin key radar... every time I hear it go off I have to stop and look for a key o_O

other than that, this game taught me a new word today,

"gallivanting"

I liked how this game ended,
getting Saejima into an important role in the Tojo Clan with apparently Kiryu helping him to start out. Such a cool standoff at the Tojo entrance with Dojima and Majima :D Getting the Tojo organized properly.

Can't wait for the next episode, hoping here that it deals with Tojo's internal power struggles much like the first game did. But also branches out to other locales, maybe not even have Kamurocho. And Kaoru should return from America! :D

hamchan

Noisepurge said:
getting Saejima into an important role in the Tojo Clan with apparently Kiryu helping him to start out. Such a cool standoff at the Tojo entrance with Dojima and Majima :D Getting the Tojo organized properly.

Can't wait for the next episode, hoping here that it deals with Tojo's internal power struggles much like the first game did. But also branches out to other locales, maybe not even have Kamurocho. And Kaoru should return from America! :D
I'm surprised that Daigo is still head, well at least he looks like he is. I thought the whole point was that he was doing a bad job for the Tojo clan and that they really needed someone like Kiryu to run it. I guess we'll find out next game if he's still chairman.

IrishNinja

General Shank-a-snatch said:
There are recaps for all of the games.

Seriously, can't we get a better OP that has actual information?

yeah, OP is a twat.
what info would you want put in there, besides "every yakuza game brings a recap"? thought it covered most of the bases.

*edit looks like twatty OP already had the recap info in there. dude cant be blamed if folks can't read.

IrishNinja

i hurrd he went back & bolded that part, since in retrospect, it's a more important question than "where is he buying it from", heh.

jgb04.gif

I hope this helps.

I really can't bring myself to finish the game. The end of part 4 was such a bummer to me that I've somewhat lost interest in the story, so I've distracted myself with sidestuff for the last 20 hours. :lol

Noisepurge said:

Yeah, as much as I disliked the end game and the conclusion of the story, this was fucking awesome.

Also +1 to bring Kazzy's girl back! And yes, there needs to be a new city in Y5.

hamchan

Yes, Kiryu needs a love interest again. Surely banging hostesses gets boring after a while... lol what am I saying, of course it doesn't.

Best ending of the series imo would be a huge battle royale of gangs. Tojo + Omi vs. Triads vs. Evil Americans, something like that. Characters could have certain roles, Tanimura would have intel collecting missions because he can speak several languages, Akiyama being the financial aid of the war, Saejima and Goro would be warlords with their own families to lead and Kiryu + Daigo being in charge of everything. It would be a great excuse to have several locations for different characters.

- Saejima and Majima (finally playable) get the getto areas in and near Kamurocho to expand/train the yakuza
- Akiyama gets Kamurocho to get more money for the war/Hana's 3-story birthday cake
- Tanimura gets a new location in China for information collecting and he has his own force to lead
- Kiryu and Daigo (also playable) deal with getting all the Tojo families together for action and they could be everywhere.

Potential for plenty of boss battles, gameplay/location variety and wrapping up everyone's life goals in the end. I'd rather have the series end on a high note than letting it go on forever.

Riposte

Could you imagine a Yakuza game where the Mafia were the main bad guys? Would be hilarious!

Personally, I think Akiyama and Tanimura don't have much more story to tell. I rather they become supporting characters. The next entry should be about Kazuma and Saejima along either
Kido
and/or a new character(kind of want a dude who is totally based around using weapons) working to make Tojo the bestest ever. Saejima's Fighter Maker should become Yakuza Maker. (And on that note, I like the idea of working with a partner character most of the time and freely being able to switch to that character in combat. That would give the series another shot of freshness. Put in a bunch of partner based mechanics, more than just two or three HEAT actions. What if every HEAT action you can extend(e.g. slamming your foot into a laying opponent) was changed so that it was instead extended by having your partner finish it off and then you automatically switched to him.)

They should still be playable, just because of their different fighting style. There should be more skills available at the start, it gets old unlocking basic things like evading skills.

Noisepurge said:
Yakuza 2 is still the best in the series, in my opinion. The antagonists were pretty weak here, same as Yakuza 3. In 2 they were introduced early on and they had a lot of story of their own. And their reasons of being evil were much more clear and more down to earth :D

I think the second game is the highpoint of the series also, largely due in part to Kaoru and how well her romance with Kazuma was handled. You don't see enough romantic plots/sub-plots in video games, and when you do they're usually botched anyway, but in Yakuza 2 it well written, well paced and had a nice pay-off. It felt like a major cop-out when she was brushed aside right at the start of 3. It's as if Sega thought "Oh no, we can't have Kazuma settling into a serious relationship when all the fans will be wanting to frequent the hostess bars." Pfft, what a load of horseshit those hostess bars are. That's why I was actually glad when Sega cut them out of 3. I love Japanese culture as much as the next guy, but there is something explicitly cringe-worthy about paying a woman to talk to you.

I can't remember his name, but the "killer cop" guy was frickin' ace as well. Ahh, Yakuza 2 had the best cast.

Alright, I just finished the game after all. :p It's a pretty satisfying ending all things considered. Even though
it made me feel - once again - extremely uncomfortable to see all the money flying around. And I don't even wanna mention how incredibly stupid the whole plan was to begin with. :lol

Also, I was not really prepared to use all four guys. Akiyama was all buffed up, but the other dudes were more or less naked without much or any potions at all. The Tanimura fight with all those guards and a fucking asshole shooting from the background made me really break a sweat.

And yeah, I generally wish people would just stay dead at least half of the time. It was very surprising to not see Yasuko making a comeback. But maybe that's something for Of The End. :p

My final stats were 50:57 with 56,69% completion and, I think, 61% Trophies.

I really liked the game, even though it's still not the definite Yakuza game.

Top Bottom