• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

Mh, there is a free costume pack for Yakuza 4 in the UK PS Store that reads exactly like the bonus content of the CE. I don't think that's supposed to be like that?

BeeDog

SolidusDave said:
Mh, there is a free costume pack for Yakuza 4 in the UK PS Store that reads exactly like the bonus content of the CE. I don't think that's supposed to be like that?

I think it's the exact same content, lulz. They probably made it free because the CE isn't available in all countries... Here in Sweden there was no option to get a hold of it.

GeoramA

SolidusDave said:
I saw it earlier, shrugged my shoulders and downloaded it...

Hope it works for the US version.

rCIZZLE

SonicBoom said:
I picked up Yakuza 3 brand new at Kmart for $14.99. Its on sale this week

Even with sony being relentless with all these quality games and my growing backlog, $15 seems too good to pass up. I'm in for one if my kmart has it.

hamchan said:
Pffffft 3 is still a great game. It should be super cheap now as well which is well worth it considering the game is absolutely packed with content even with the cuts. So, go buy i guess?

Good idea, if I can find it cheap. Only after 4 though.

IrishNinja

rCIZZLE said:
Even with sony being relentless with all these quality games and my growing backlog, $15 seems too good to pass up. I'm in for one if my kmart has it.

again, i could be mistaken, but i think kmart's only gonna stock y3 for this promo - good luck finding a copy until next week. could be wrong, though.

Gunsmithx

IrishNinja said:
Q: IrishNinja you seem like a pretty cool guy eh (kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything), where are you gonna buy this title?

This is so not true at all :p, grats on your first OT buddy
yes he called me to tell me and get me to post

I'm looking forward to playing my first Yakuza game since 1(yes I'm a slacker) though it'll be in the backlog for a bit before I get to it.

Now we just need to find some Yakuza to review this like they did Three

Just read this in the Siliconera Yakuza 4 interview with Yas Noguchi (senior producer):

Siliconera: Going back to the spin-offs will Sega bring Kenzan or…

Noguchi: In terms of the older games, I can really speak to that at the moment. Because currently from the Yakuza franchise we have Black Panther, Kenzan, and now we have Of the End. Which all intents and purposes is a working title for the West, we don’t know what it’s going to be called. I think the possibility is there. We haven’t closed the door on any of those titles. We’re always looking at what might be the next title that will be appropriate for the Western market.
So it looks like there is still a possibility we could get Kenzan... maybe. The Yakuza series seems to be growing somewhat in popularity in the US, so maybe they'll decide it's worthwhile to localize. I'm sorry if this just brings false hope.

BentMyWookiee said:
Just read this in the Siliconera Yakuza 4 interview with Yas Noguchi (senior producer):

So it looks like there is still a possibility we could get Kenzan... maybe. The Yakuza series seems to be growing somewhat in popularity in the US, so maybe they'll decide it's worthwhile to localize. I'm sorry if this just brings false hope.
Lol, no matter what vague stuff he says to the contrary, the chance of Kenzan coming to NA is -100%.

Well it's good that we'll be getting Of The End. Not this it was in doubt, but at least they are fairly upfront with it.

Also, what are the odds of them using English voices of an Of The End localization? I think they are pretty good since it's the most appealing entry from a western perspective.

IrishNinja

Gunsmithx said:
This is so not true at all :p, grats on your first OT buddy
yes he called me to tell me and get me to post

aw, snitch. and i totally didn't tell you to post here; you've never played a freaking yakuza game! get outta my thread, you bum!

ok that yakuza reviewing yakuza 3 was an awesome contribution

it really is cool seeing Of The End localization as a foregone conclusion; should we hear by E3 if that's the case? and yeah, again, I could totally be wrong, it's just that almost everything about Kenzan! localization seems against Sega's MO at the moment, i think.

Elios83

I really can't wait for this game next week =)
How does the story compares to Yakuza3?
I've heard that 4 is considered to be the best in the series in every single aspect.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Square Triangle said:
2095643406_1f22d7fec9.jpg

atomsk

Party Pooper
bernardobri said:
Man, I hope that Black Panther makes it into the west...

As much as I'd love to play that in English (finished the import with a very vague idea of exactly what was going on outside of punching dudes), I can't imagine the amount it would cost to translate (tons and tons of loooong cut scenes) could be justified considering how much projected sales would be on PSP

But I'm all for supporting Syn Sophia (AKI), love that fighting engine

Trevelyon

BentMyWookiee said:

Kenzan. trophies. All over my eyeballs.

Audioboxer

Facism said:
where from?

Coolshop had it on pre-order for £26.99 a month or so back, and I also had £3 worth of vouchers.

I think the cheapest is £29.99 at ShopTo now.

I know you play as four characters in this, but does anyone know what the split in playtime is like? Even or still mostly Kazuma?

hamchan

Trevelyon said:
Kenzan. trophies. All over my eyeballs.

My thoughts exactly. If they bring Kenzan over that means they have to add trophies to it. Which probably means they won't bring it over since it'll be too much effort LOL!

;_;

explodet

I just got a call from Gamestop (in Toronto) saying they have my copy of Yakuza 4. o_o
It's not even on their frickin' website! I hope they're not going to charge me $65 for it...

Off to pick it up.

GeoramA

If you're a Yakuza fan, don't read Greg Miller's review. You'll be disgusted.

Complains about the map being hard to navigate...lol

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
explodet said:
:D

The back of the manual has a Vanquish ad on it, haha

So the 3 people who will buy this game will see an ad to a game that got bought by 6 people, add Alpha protocol owners and we will have enough numbers of people for a soccer team.

just kidding.

iirc Sony also put old games ads in their newer games manuals.

And no inside art? Fail SEGA fail.

GeoramA said:
If you're a Yakuza fan, don't read Greg Miller's review. You'll be disgusted.

Complains about the map being hard to navigate...lol
I don't like to be critical of people doing their jobs, but Greg Miller isn't a great journalist at all.

hamchan

Didn't Greg Miller write that hilariously awful Dead Space 2 review that got mocked everyone on the Internet?

Speaking of bad reviews I still remember that awful 1-up review of Yakuza 3.

hamchan said:
Didn't Greg Miller write that hilariously awful Dead Space 2 review that got mocked everyone on the Internet?

Speaking of bad reviews I still remember that awful 1-up review of Yakuza 3.

He also posted a Q & A on the IGN Smackdown boards last year, challenging people to make fun of him. When they did (in record numbers, no less) he punished them by stopping the Q & A.

androvsky

That's strange, Greg Miller's made a point of at least pretending to be a fan of the Yakuza series on the podcast. So he's getting lost in the fourth iteration in the same city? smh

GeoramA

The whole "does nothing new" complaint is what I hate most about game reviews. Just judge the damn game for what it is, not what it's predecessor did or what you think it should be doing. Fans of the series won't give a damn if the battle system and city feels the same. It's not broken and it's why fans keep coming back.

And lack of originality won't stop the tidal wave of shooters coming this year from getting 9's and 8's, that's a given.

So can someone explain what I need to do for the Kmart deal? I never beat Yakuza 3 and the chance to just get it for free seems too awesone to pass up. I also live in NYC. I saw that Kmart circulars dont apply in NYC (on CAG), but I don't know,if that effects this. I work right near the 34th St Kmart so it seems silly to pass this up if I can get the deal.

androvsky said:
That's strange, Greg Miller's made a point of at least pretending to be a fan of the Yakuza series on the podcast. So he's getting lost in the fourth iteration in the same city? smh
That's just plain sad.

Meh..thinking about these useless bums that get early copies is just going to annoy me.

Corto

Just posting here to show my appreciation of this wonderful series. The Kuro Edition has already its space reserved on my collection.

Yamibito

androvsky said:
I'll be getting it regardless of what some schmuck from IGN says, the Eurogamer, EDGE and Famitsu reviews have all be very positive. Greg Miller is a terrible reviewer.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Dumb question, what platforms are the first two on for America? Also are 3 and 4 PS3 only?
Yakuza - PS2
Yakuza 2 - PS2
Yakuza Kenzan! - PS3 (Japanese only)
Yakuza 3 - PS3
Yakuza 4 - PS3
Yakuza: Black Panther - PSP (Japanese only)
Yakuza of the End - PS3 (Japanese only)
momolicious said:
would it be wise to skip yakuza 2 and 3 and play this instead?
I suggest you play them in order.

Corto

Deadly Cyclone said:
Dumb question, what platforms are the first two on for America? Also are 3 and 4 PS3 only?

Yakuza and Yakuza 2 are PS2 exclusives. Yakuza 3 and 4 are PS3 exclusives.

Top Bottom